Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

MoAlpha 07-14-20 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by velo vol (Post 21586523)
datlas is there anything area lab mouse can do about anaemia beyond fixing what witch doctor has not been able to fix?

epo.

MoAlpha 07-14-20 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21586576)
I was close to going to Cornell but was askeered I would end up at the bottom of one of those gorges....plus too cold in winter.

Terrible place in the winter. It was the first school we visited with daughter. She wasn't enchanted.

Velo Vol 07-14-20 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21586641)
epo.

I'm just wanting normal RBC/HGB levels, not KOMs.

Bah Humbug 07-14-20 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21586657)
I'm just wanting normal RBC/HGB levels, not KOMs.

Thatís literally what EPO is for, isnít it? Doping is off-label.

big john 07-14-20 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21586587)
First rule of packing for a supported trip: Always always always put your clothes inside a trash bag before you put them in your duffle bag or whatever. There was a tarp covering the bags, but inconsiderate people did not put it back correctly after finding their bags, leaving some bags on the edges exposed to the rain.

In about 1992 my ex and I did a loop around Oregon, 650 miles in 9 days, I think. Our panniers were lined with small trash bags and we saw rain almost every day. Usually we could see it coming and find shelter to wait it out. One day a dark cloud loomed while we were exposed and we barely made it to an underpass before it started coming down in buckets. A young woman in a pickup truck offered to give us a ride to our motel and we accepted. It was raining so hard it was ridiculous. Our stuff got soaked as if it had been submerged. Everything, even money, had to be dried.

MoAlpha 07-14-20 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21586666)

Yes.

Velo Vol 07-14-20 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21586666)

I don't know how "bad" this is, but I'm sure toiling on select hills, and it doesn't seem like I should be that out of shape.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3844fbfafa.png

MoAlpha 07-14-20 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21586689)
I don't know how "bad" this is, but I'm sure toiling on select hills, and it doesn't seem like I should be that out of shape.

Not life threatening, but low. I am not surprised you can feel it. Hematocrit is a slightly easier number to relate to performance.

Velo Vol 07-14-20 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21586695)
Not life threatening, but low. I am not surprised you can feel it. Hematocrit is a slightly easier number to relate to performance.

I assume it's all related. Low, but not enough for the "doctors" to be concerned? I take daily iron supplement. Not sure what else can be done.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9ef74ebac0.png

MoAlpha 07-14-20 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21586707)
I assume it's all related. Low, but not enough for the "doctors" to be concerned? I take daily iron supplement. Not sure what else can be done.

Not an expert and I've forgotten most of what little I ever knew about treatment of mild anemia, but I do know that if you want something fixed, complain about it.

datlas 07-14-20 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21586707)

It's a smidge low but not low enough to do anything about it. EPO could possibly help but not likely to be covered by insurance with only borderline low levels.

Altitude camp would help.

Attitude camp should help too.

#CheerUp

indyfabz 07-14-20 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21586670)
In about 1992 my ex and I did a loop around Oregon, 650 miles in 9 days, I think. Our panniers were lined with small trash bags and we saw rain almost every day. Usually we could see it coming and find shelter to wait it out. One day a dark cloud loomed while we were exposed and we barely made it to an underpass before it started coming down in buckets. A young woman in a pickup truck offered to give us a ride to our motel and we accepted. It was raining so hard it was ridiculous. Our stuff got soaked as if it had been submerged. Everything, even money, had to be dried.

Two years ago I abandoned a cross-PA tour (Youngstown, OH to Philly) after only 3 days. Thursday night, before I made the drive out to Youngstown, the forecast was calling for some rain Saturday but pretty descent the rest of the week. Somehow, that all changed in about 24 hrs. It started raining Saturday morning while I was at the Motel 6. By the time I dropped the rental off at the nearby Vienna Airport a few hours later, it was raining in earnest. And it pretty much didn't stop--for three days. Half way through the first day a guy at a restaurant told me that some areas were expecting up to 20" over the next couple of days. And it was rather chilly. And there was a headwind, so the rain was blowing into my face. And wouldn't you know it, my rain jacket was no longer waterproof, and I forgot to pack my rain pants. Got a motel the first night instead of camping. The second day was worse. Got a motel that night too. The third day was even worse. I rode through a puddle early on that turned out to be hiding a giant pothole on the shoulder. I nearly wiped out (my ass came off the saddle and one of my hands came off the brake hood) and fell in front of a car. At times I was riding in 2' of water running down the side of the road. By then, my FD was no longer functioning. I think the combination of water all day then heated motel rooms at night cause it to seize up, because when I finally made it home I tried to shift and the cable snapped. Did the entire day in my smallest chainring. Got another motel at the end of the third day. Also, there was a chance that if I kept riding I would ride into the remnants of a hurricane. An old friend--the guy who got me into cycling way back in the 80s--drove 4.5 hrs. to pick me up late the next day. We then drove to his country house that night and to back to the city on Wednesday morning. But everything in my panniers stayed dry.

I posted this picture from my Day 2 hotel before. Never use the circulars to line your leg warmers when it's wet out. When I pulled them down I freaked for a second thinking I had somehow suffered massive bruising.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...02f133dbd9.jpg

Trsnrtr 07-14-20 09:56 AM

That's very similar to my chronic anemia. I've been that way since 2009. I don't think I've been to 13 since then and I've been as low as 9 - low ferritin levels. I've had to take prescription stuff a couple times. I quit worrying about it years ago. I generally run 12-12.5.

Bah Humbug 07-14-20 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21586761)
I posted this picture from my Day 2 hotel before. Never use the circulars to line your leg warmers when it's wet out. When I pulled them down I freaked for a second thinking I had somehow suffered massive bruising.

At one of my first tris (Boulder Sunrise), they gave cold wet towels at the finish. I was talking with this guy whoíd been leapfrogging me during the ride when I suddenly saw that my fingertips were blue, fading towards the palm. I had a more than minor freakout and ran towards and EMT before realizing that the towel was the same blue and clearly not color-fast.

Trsnrtr 07-14-20 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21586760)
It's a smidge low but not low enough to do anything about it. EPO could possibly help but not likely to be covered by insurance with only borderline low levels.

Altitude camp would help.

#CheerUp

Attitude camp; I like that. :D

LesterOfPuppets 07-14-20 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21586761)
Two years ago I abandoned a cross-PA tour (Youngstown, OH to Philly) after only 3 days. Thursday night, before I made the drive out to Youngstown, the forecast was calling for some rain Saturday but pretty descent the rest of the week. Somehow, that all changed in about 24 hrs. It started raining Saturday morning while I was at the Motel 6. By the time I dropped the rental off at the nearby Vienna Airport a few hours later, it was raining in earnest. And it pretty much didn't stop--for three days. Half way through the first day a guy at a restaurant told me that some areas were expecting up to 20" over the next couple of days. And it was rather chilly. And there was a headwind, so the rain was blowing into my face. And wouldn't you know it, my rain jacket was no longer waterproof, and I forgot to pack my rain pants. Got a motel the first night instead of camping. The second day was worse. Got a motel that night too. The third day was even worse. I rode through a puddle early on that turned out to be hiding a giant pothole on the shoulder. I nearly wiped out (my ass came off the saddle and one of my hands came off the brake hood) and fell in front of a car. At times I was riding in 2' of water running down the side of the road. By then, my FD was no longer functioning. I think the combination of water all day then heated motel rooms at night cause it to seize up, because when I finally made it home I tried to shift and the cable snapped. Did the entire day in my smallest chainring. Got another motel at the end of the third day. Also, there was a chance that if I kept riding I would ride into the remnants of a hurricane. An old friend--the guy who got me into cycling way back in the 80s--drove 4.5 hrs. to pick me up late the next day. We then drove to his country house that night and to back to the city on Wednesday morning. But everything in my panniers stayed dry.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...02f133dbd9.jpg

Shoulda gone to the nearest tattoo parlour to make em permanent!

indyfabz 07-14-20 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21586784)
At one of my first tris (Boulder Sunrise), they gave cold wet towels at the finish. I was talking with this guy whoíd been leapfrogging me during the ride when I suddenly saw that my fingertips were blue, fading towards the palm. I had a more than minor freakout and ran towards and EMT before realizing that the towel was the same blue and clearly not color-fast.

Heh. I saw a guy who actually did have blue fingers after getting caught in a storm while riding the Mickelson Trail in SD. His wife had brought appropriate gear for the day ride. He had not. They were up on the hill north of Hill City and got delayed by a stubborn heard of free range cattle. Hill City is nearly a mile high, so they could have been close to 5,700' when the storm hit. The temperature in town dropped by probably 20 degrees. Maybe even more. Hubby called the shuttle service, which was based in town, for a ride back to Custer.

Velo Vol 07-14-20 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21586721)
Not an expert and I've forgotten most of what little I ever knew about treatment of mild anemia, but I do know that if you want something fixed, complain about it.

Odds are 90%+ that having my immune system under control would fix it, but that doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon.

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21586760)

Nope. I've been near or actual aneamic for several years, but seem more out of breath on the hills this year. Sigh.

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21586772)
That's very similar to my chronic anemia. I've been that way since 2009. I don't think I've been to 13 since then and I've been as low as 9 - low ferritin levels. I've had to take prescription stuff a couple times. I quit worrying about it years ago. I generally run 12-12.5.

Do you have general fatigue? It doesn't seem to keep you off the velocipede.

Trsnrtr 07-14-20 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21586931)

Do you have general fatigue? It doesn't seem to keep you off the velocipede.

No more than any other older person. :D

SwtBadger 07-14-20 11:42 AM

Well you may have eliminated any chance of ever competitively doping. Isn't this stuff part of the ABP (Athlete Biological Passport) used in detection?

seedsbelize 07-14-20 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21586670)

At the Rainbow Gathering in Roseburg, Oregon, in 1978, it rained continually, day and night, for five days. We had only a tube tent. It may have rained longer, but we weren't around to witness it.

Velo Vol 07-14-20 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21586984)
No more than any other older person. :D

You're making me feel 80+.

Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21586994)
Isn't this stuff part of the ABP (Athlete Biological Passport) used in detection?

Never heard of it.

Velo Vol 07-14-20 12:37 PM

Winter already arrived in CO, apparently. A few more weeks for the rest of us.

abshipp 07-14-20 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21587112)
bubonic squirrels

We had a case of rabies confirmed in a dead bat in the county West of us.

I think I heard of a bird with West Nile as well.

rjones28 07-14-20 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21587112)
Winter already arrived in CO, apparently. A few more weeks for the rest of us.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1283072780825657344

The Plague heralds the arrival of winter in Colorado? Who knew?