Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

rjones28 05-10-22 07:59 AM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22501331)
Has anyone any experience with these derailluer hanger extensions? Tail hook things to extend your cassette capacity. I refitted Contador last night and all I have are 32-11 cassettes. The red short cage won't do more than 30-11. So I ordered one. But now am getting cold feet about it use.

We've had good results with the Wolf Tooth road link, down at the shop.

Mojo31 05-10-22 08:21 AM

Marigold (they call it pumpkin) jacket on sale!

Endura Pro SL All Weather Cycling Jacket - Men's (backcountry.com)

genejockey 05-10-22 08:39 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22501178)
A customer at the shop today proudly told me about how he uses Vaseline for chain lube.

I have a Service Manual from Elgin National Watch Company, from 1950. It describes how to lubricate a watch you've just properly cleaned. All the wheel pivots, you're to oil with Elgin's M56b, which is actually a pretty amazing oil, one of the first synthetic oils, and hasn't really ever been bested. All the parts that don't need an oil, but rather a grease? Vaseline.

I imagine that a chain lubed with vaseline would probably be a dirt magnet.

genejockey 05-10-22 08:42 AM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22501326)
Omg, I laughed way to hard at, It gets worse, before it gets worse! I should get that tattoo!

The company I used to work for, until it got acquired by the company I work for now, one time gave out buttons to the employees that read, "The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves".

They had a strange corporate culture. Someone described it as "aggressive self-pity".

rjones28 05-10-22 08:43 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22501544)
I have a Service Manual from Elgin National Watch Company, from 1950. It describes how to lubricate a watch you've just properly cleaned. All the wheel pivots, you're to oil with Elgin's M56b, which is actually a pretty amazing oil, one of the first synthetic oils, and hasn't really ever been bested. All the parts that don't need an oil, but rather a grease? Vaseline.

I imagine that a chain lubed with vaseline would probably be a dirt magnet.

I was just putting new tires on the bike, but the chain was pretty dirty.

big john 05-10-22 08:44 AM

Dumb luck.
Wordle 325 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

genejockey 05-10-22 08:47 AM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22501331)
Has anyone any experience with these derailluer hanger extensions? Tail hook things to extend your cassette capacity. I refitted Contador last night and all I have are 32-11 cassettes. The red short cage won't do more than 30-11. So I ordered one. But now am getting cold feet about it use.

The R8000 derailleur I'm working with on the Litespeed essentially has one. The part you screw into the dropout isn't the upper pivot. There's about an inch long extension. It's on the 7000 series 105 derailleur on the Canyon too.

genejockey 05-10-22 08:53 AM

Another average day.
Wordle 325 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

big john 05-10-22 08:56 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22501547)
The company I used to work for, until it got acquired by the company I work for now, one time gave out buttons to the employees that read, "The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves".

They had a strange corporate culture. Someone described it as "aggressive self-pity".

I worked for a Chevrolet dealer owned by a man who had 10 dealerships of different brands. The on site managers were terrible and the owner rarely stopped by. He had a team of henchmen who travelled to all the dealers to make decisions and put fires out. The service managers lasted about 6 months and each seemed more helpless and inept than the last. In my third year there they decided to put the techs on a "team system" where we would pool our money. Since I was the one producing the most money on my team I had to give part of my earnings to the other team members. This was B.S. and I complained to the main travelling manager.

"We don't care how talented you are or what you've done, if you don't want to play it our way there's always another warm body to take your place". Nice to know I'm appreciated. I found another crappy job and got out of there.

LesterOfPuppets 05-10-22 10:07 AM

Summertime at Flaming Gorge...

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...9g&oe=627F7AAF

ls01 05-10-22 10:27 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22501484)
We've had good results with the Wolf Tooth road link, down at the shop.

OK. I'll have to try it.

DougRNS 05-10-22 10:45 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22501111)
I bet my all my witch doctors have lost a combined 0 minutes of sleep worrying about my upcoming appointments.

big witch doctor hates you. TTKU

Mojo31 05-10-22 11:07 AM

Problem patient, I'm sure.

Velo Vol 05-10-22 11:10 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22501648)
Summertime at Flaming Gorge...

#YearWithoutSummer

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22501700)
big witch doctor hates you. TTKU

They don't hate me, they just exert minimal effort.

Typical appointment: Witch doctor walks in, recognition of the problem patient sitting there. They'll ask a few questions of the "remind me" nature (do they ever even bother looking at the chart?), maybe spend a minute or two examining a few joints. Then declare I should continue doing what I'm doing (in earlier days it was "let's try X drug and see if it helps").

The End.

Velo Vol 05-10-22 11:22 AM

How does the superglue protest even work? They must be using a lot better glue than I've used for it to set immediately.


Velo Vol 05-10-22 11:36 AM

wut


Mojo31 05-10-22 11:53 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22501748)
How does the superglue protest even work? They must be using a lot better glue than I've used for it to set immediately.

https://twitter.com/abc27News/status...44852991770625

Better question is why would you want to?

And, what's wrong with charging more for one product compared to another if that's what the market will support?

If Cromwell is that impoverished, he can get coffee at Micky D's.

LesterOfPuppets 05-10-22 12:07 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22501791)
Better question is why would you want to?

And, what's wrong with charging more for one product compared to another if that's what the market will support?

If Cromwell is that impoverished, he can get coffee at Micky D's.

He should be writing his congressmen, get some almond milk subsidies going. It's gonna cost extra as long as milk is $3.50 a gallon and almond milk is $7.00 a gallon.

Mojo31 05-10-22 12:31 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22501807)
He should be writing his congressmen, get some almond milk subsidies going. It's gonna cost extra as long as milk is $3.50 a gallon and almond milk is $7.00 a gallon.

I for one am outraged. My wife is lactose intolerant, and buys almond milk for her coffee. She also orders the same at Starbucks. But, I just HTFU and take it like a man.

Mojo31 05-10-22 12:53 PM

Question for the warm climate cyclists - do any of you use a warm weather base layer under your jersey? And, do you find it to be more or less cooling than a jersey alone?

As we approach summer, and have already hit 97F this month, I'm wondering if the mesh type base layers will help with cooling. I've asked around here, but the guys I know have not even thought of trying it, so I have no good local opinions.

WhyFi 05-10-22 01:06 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22501839)
Question for the warm climate cyclists - do any of you use a warm weather base layer under your jersey? And, do you find it to be more or less cooling than a jersey alone?

As we approach summer, and have already hit 97F this month, I'm wondering if the mesh type base layers will help with cooling. I've asked around here, but the guys I know have not even thought of trying it, so I have no good local opinions.

Some people swear by it, but I can't say that I find it to be an improvement, not with a good jersey, at least. If your jersey doesn't breathe and wick well on its own, I could see it potentially helping, but I haven't experienced it myself.

Oh, and I could see effectiveness varying based on humidity, too.

In the end, I think you'll just have to try it out for yourself.

Trsnrtr 05-10-22 01:07 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22501839)
Question for the warm climate cyclists - do any of you use a warm weather base layer under your jersey? And, do you find it to be more or less cooling than a jersey alone?

As we approach summer, and have already hit 97F this month, I'm wondering if the mesh type base layers will help with cooling. I've asked around here, but the guys I know have not even thought of trying it, so I have no good local opinions.

I'd like to know this, too.

genejockey 05-10-22 01:20 PM

My LBS is so busy he can't do "while you wait" jobs, so I have to drop the Litespeed off and pick it up a couple days later. So much for my dream of putting it all together tonight. :(

Bah Humbug 05-10-22 01:31 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22501748)
How does the superglue protest even work? They must be using a lot better glue than I've used for it to set immediately.

https://twitter.com/abc27News/status...44852991770625

Clearly a great injustice of our time, and heís unafraid to stand up for his righteous beliefs.

Seriously, way to live down to every actor stereotype.

Velo Vol 05-10-22 01:33 PM


Originally Posted by mojo31 (Post 22501839)
question for the warm climate cyclists

n/a :(

Bah Humbug 05-10-22 01:34 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22501839)
Question for the warm climate cyclists - do any of you use a warm weather base layer under your jersey? And, do you find it to be more or less cooling than a jersey alone?

As we approach summer, and have already hit 97F this month, I'm wondering if the mesh type base layers will help with cooling. I've asked around here, but the guys I know have not even thought of trying it, so I have no good local opinions.

Iíve never found a layer that feels better than NOT that layer in the heat. Exceptionals are only to prevent sunburn, but that still feels worse in the moment.

genejockey 05-10-22 01:42 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22501839)
Question for the warm climate cyclists - do any of you use a warm weather base layer under your jersey? And, do you find it to be more or less cooling than a jersey alone?

As we approach summer, and have already hit 97F this month, I'm wondering if the mesh type base layers will help with cooling. I've asked around here, but the guys I know have not even thought of trying it, so I have no good local opinions.

Wasn't there at least one long thread on this question last year?

I can tell you that I have a Le Col jersey that fits skin tight, so I only wear it for Zwifting, because nobody wants to see that, and if it's at all wet, I get chilled wearing it at standard room temp. That is what I think you want in a summer jersey and I can't see how you get that with two layers instead of one.

Velo Vol 05-10-22 01:47 PM

RIP iPod

Mojo31 05-10-22 01:56 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22501897)
Wasn't there at least one long thread on this question last year?

I can tell you that I have a Le Col jersey that fits skin tight, so I only wear it for Zwifting, because nobody wants to see that, and if it's at all wet, I get chilled wearing it at standard room temp. That is what I think you want in a summer jersey and I can't see how you get that with two layers instead of one.

For the reason that you stated, I don't wear skin tight jerseys either, but I do try to stay away from anything flopping around. So, as you noted, it seems that the best thermal cooling is achieved with skin tight wicking garments, and the articles that I've read suggested the same. Some have opined that a form fitting woven base layer will provide better wicking than a slightly looser jersey, and so using the base layer will actually remove the sweat from your torso more effectively. But, I can't find anything that seems to be conclusive as the opinions seem to fall both ways.

I don't recall a thread on the subject, and my search did not turn one up, but I'm happy to read them if they are here.

I'm just trying to think a little outside the box since riding the roads in the summer gets friggin hot and there is little shade in most areas. I'm not terribly concerned about sun exposure as I'm religious about using sunscreen.

BillyD 05-10-22 02:05 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22501867)
My LBS is so busy he can't do "while you wait" jobs, so I have to drop the Litespeed off and pick it up a couple days later. So much for my dream of putting it all together tonight. :(

A dream,
a simple fantasy,
that I,
wish was reality.

- DeBarge


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:58 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.