Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

Renngrrl 05-11-17 05:11 PM

Rats! now I have to either find an earlier or non-US loop or live with serious chaincase envy. And I have to just say the geometry on those bikes is stunning

BigChief 05-11-17 05:30 PM

This is great! A workshop. A set of Whitworth spanners would be nice but not nearly as necessary as some other tools. A pedal wrench ,a cone wrench to adjust the bearings on the AW hub. Front wheel doesn't have lock nuts, so you won't need it there. Which reminds me...When changing your tires, replace the front wheel with fixed cone on the right side of the bike. Adjustable cone, with the flats on the left. Very important. Next a proper punch, about 3/16"s or so to remove the hub guts from the shell and the bottom bracket lock ring. I highly recommend a cotter press from Bikesmith. He also sells a handy tool for removing the fixed cup on bottom brackets, but it isn't necessary to remove this cup for normal maintenance. You can clean the fixed cup from the inside with a rag and stick. Other than that, normal shop tools will round out your workshop.
edit:
You can add an enclosed chaincase to your bike. Notice, behind the chainwheel, there's a mounting lug on the chainstay for them. All DL-1s have them

thumpism 05-11-17 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SirMike1983 (Post 19575152)
If you're into three speeds, the odds are good you will have multiple Raleighs.

Heed that warning. This photo was taken before I recently picked up a DL1.
Attachment 562907

gster 05-12-17 04:16 PM

Forum Activity
 
Glad to see a big surge in activity on this forum.
They Say It's Spring

BigChief 05-12-17 04:36 PM

Hmmm. wonder why that link failed. I'll try it. Nice song.

Arrowana 05-12-17 07:32 PM

I've been wanting an old 3-speed for awhile, and I found this Raleigh LTD-3 at work that I think is a good choice. Serial number suggests 1973, hub says 1975. My plans involve 650b CR18's, overhauling the hub, a Brooks of some sort, and maybe a dynamo hub. The hub does not seem like it is functional in it's current state, I'm curious what I'll find inside. I imagine it will be a number of months before I have it done.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64...psded3cras.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64...psizhazrax.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64...psmiudwtec.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64...psnqzfif3m.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64...pss9f5c3db.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64...ps0idggjod.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64...ps4wtnryut.jpg

gster 05-13-17 12:57 PM

Raleigh Tourists Wanted!
 
1 Attachment(s)
I'm working on a television show that takes place in the 1920's and am looking to purchase some local (Toronto area) Raleigh DL-1 Tourists as props.

Looking for complete bikes, men's or ladies and would pay a reasonable price.

We picked up a nice ladies Tourist this morning for $250.00.

The one pictured was $150.00 but has had the rod and lever brake system removed and the rear hub has been replaced with a coaster brake.
My plan is to remover the triggers and replace the rear cogs.

Tires and brake pads will be replaced as well.



I've also bought a couple of old CCM coasters as well.

If anyone has anything please let me know.

jamesj 05-13-17 06:02 PM

How did you drill out the cotters? what did you do? any directions?





Originally Posted by gster (Post 19565669)
Progress has been made. Once again those cotter pins have proved to be difficult.

The drive side popped out with a couple of stern whacks of the hammer, the other side wouldn't budge. I ended up drilling it out with no damage to the crank or spindle.

Judging by the grease inside the BB, this bike hasn't been ridden in years. The cups look good so if the weather here in Toronto clears up it should be back on the road next weekend.

Front and back hubs cleaned and re packed with new tires courtesy of George at Parkdale Bicycles at 1428 Queen Street West.
Re assembly has started. I will replace the pedals with either some new MKS pedals or some old Raleigh pedals from the spares bin.
Starting to look like a bicycle.


gster 05-14-17 05:37 AM


Originally Posted by jamesj (Post 19581286)
How did you drill out the cotters? what did you do? any directions?

here's a video on Youtube (not mine).



Velocivixen 05-14-17 09:48 AM

@Renngrrl - most of my bikes have names. My hot pink mixte Univega mountain bike is called "Mountain 'Barbie'" but now that she's older prefers to be called 'Barbara'. My all original Raleigh Twenty folder is called "Miss Molly" the name of original owner. The all original 1972 Peugeot UO 18 mixte is "Yvette" - sounded French; the heavily modified '95 Trek 820is the "Apocalypse" bike. The 2015 Surly Straggler is "Sparkle Pony" referring to the metallic purple paint job.

So, yes, some name their bikes. I have 12 or so bikes and they don't all have names.

BigChief 05-14-17 10:17 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 19581875)
here's a video on Youtube (not mine).


https://youtu.be/NQd-mszU6xs

I hope I'm not jinxin myself here, but I have yet to have to drill out a cotter. I do have a big steel anvil and a cement floor that I have used back in my pre-press days, but so far, I've been lucky and had all reusable cotters with my press. It seems odd to me that the fellow in the video decided to drill out the pin from only the threaded side. I would have drilled in some from the solid side also. Might not have to risk breaking a bit on the spindle or worse, getting the broken bit stuck in the hole if you drilled in part way from both sides instead of all the way through from one side.

Renngrrl 05-14-17 10:59 AM


Originally Posted by Velocivixen (Post 19582255)
@Renngrrl - The 2015 Surly Straggler is "Sparkle Pony" referring to the metallic purple paint job. So, yes, some name their bikes. I have 12 or so bikes and they don't all have names.

:roflmao2::thumb:

gster 05-14-17 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19582311)
I hope I'm not jinxin myself here, but I have yet to have to drill out a cotter. I do have a big steel anvil and a cement floor that I have used back in my pre-press days, but so far, I've been lucky and had all reusable cotters with my press. It seems odd to me that the fellow in the video decided to drill out the pin from only the threaded side. I would have drilled in some from the solid side also. Might not have to risk breaking a bit on the spindle or worse, getting the broken bit stuck in the hole if you drilled in part way from both sides instead of all the way through from one side.

Good point. I drill from the solid side and have only done so twice. Usually I'm too agitated to wait to drive to see George and use his vintage (and very strong) press. I asked the bike shop near me if he had a press and he said no,
he just cuts off the cranks and replaces the whole bottom bracket with something modern. I didn't like that answer much.
I've found another Tourist for the TV show.
That's 3 so far.

BigChief 05-15-17 07:41 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 19582469)
Good point. I drill from the solid side and have only done so twice. Usually I'm too agitated to wait to drive to see George and use his vintage (and very strong) press. I asked the bike shop near me if he had a press and he said no,
he just cuts off the cranks and replaces the whole bottom bracket with something modern. I didn't like that answer much.
I've found another Tourist for the TV show.
That's 3 so far.

3 Already? Maybe I should head over to Canada to look for them. I'd like to know if that L in the photo dates before 1970. As far as I can tell, Raleigh didn't import any DL-1s to the US all through the 60s. If you were getting them in the 60s, Canada would be better hunting grounds than here.

gster 05-15-17 07:57 AM

They can be found here in Canada and were imported up until the late 70's. The one we picked up on Saturday was hub dated 1977.

Renngrrl 05-15-17 08:06 AM

No kidding! Those Loops are my dream bikes. The question is what will happen to them after production?

BigChief 05-15-17 09:59 AM


Originally Posted by Renngrrl (Post 19584267)
No kidding! Those Loops are my dream bikes. The question is what will happen to them after production?

Yeah, whatcha gonna do with all those cool roadsters?
They don't appear in US catalogs until 1970. I know they were sold in England all through the 60s, but I've never seen one from the 60s come up for sale here. Come to think of it, I have only seen a very few pre war DL-1s in the US. Not sure if they were imported here in the 50s either. @Renngrrl Don't let them talk you out of it. You can fit an enclosed chaincase to your bike if you have your hart set on one.

Renngrrl 05-15-17 02:42 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19584582)
Yeah, whatcha gonna do with all those cool roadsters?
They don't appear in US catalogs until 1970. I know they were sold in England all through the 60s, but I've never seen one from the 60s come up for sale here. Come to think of it, I have only seen a very few pre war DL-1s in the US. Not sure if they were imported here in the 50s either. @Renngrrl Don't let them talk you out of it. You can fit an enclosed chaincase to your bike if you have your hart set on one.

I most likely will and save the original obviously. It will look stellar on tweed rides. I may bring it with me to L'eroica next year just toodle around town on Sat.

gster 05-15-17 03:39 PM


Originally Posted by Renngrrl (Post 19584267)
No kidding! Those Loops are my dream bikes. The question is what will happen to them after production?

With any luck, this series will continue for several years and the bikes will continue on.
After that who knows, they may have a set sale or pass them onto another production.

DQRider 05-15-17 03:45 PM

Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour: "The Humber Bunch"
 
The 2017 Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour is in the books, and I can't imagine how it could have been better. We had bright sunshine and tailwinds on both days! How cool is that?
I brought home 69 images after the first cull. Not all are worthy of the forums, but I do have some you all may like.

This first image features five riders posing with their beautiful Humber 3-speeds at a scenic overlook. You may recognize one of them as a frequent poster on this Forum:

http://i.imgur.com/BywiqCk.png

Once I get caught up on things I put-off over the weekend, I'll post more...

Well, I guess I do have this:

http://i.imgur.com/DqNtZlr.png

But that's all for now.




gster 05-15-17 06:34 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 19584582)
Yeah, whatcha gonna do with all those cool roadsters?
They don't appear in US catalogs until 1970. I know they were sold in England all through the 60s, but I've never seen one from the 60s come up for sale here. Come to think of it, I have only seen a very few pre war DL-1s in the US. Not sure if they were imported here in the 50s either. @Renngrrl Don't let them talk you out of it. You can fit an enclosed chaincase to your bike if you have your hart set on one.

No harm will come to these bikes while under my care.

DQRider 05-15-17 07:22 PM

One For The Bike-Spotters
 
The bike parking outside of The Smiling Pelican bakery in Maiden Rock was full of English steel:

http://i.imgur.com/67UeFLp.png

Renngrrl 05-15-17 08:06 PM


Originally Posted by DQRider (Post 19586042)
The bike parking outside of The Smiling Pelican bakery in Maiden Rock was full of English steel:

That's a scene of absolute beauty right there!

Save

Kilroy1988 05-15-17 08:12 PM

Thanks for the photos, @DQRider Looks like a wonderful time! I spy a Pedersen in the upper left-hand corner of the last photo! That's the stuff of dreams! :D

Salamandrine 05-15-17 08:29 PM


Originally Posted by DQRider (Post 19586042)
The bike parking outside of The Smiling Pelican bakery in Maiden Rock was full of English steel:

Note the viking steel sneaking in there in the back row. :roflmao2::D

clubman 05-16-17 05:07 AM

Now that's a hammock saddle.

DQRider 05-16-17 11:12 AM

For those admiring the eccentric "Pedersen" in my Smiling Pelican Shot, you might like to know that is actually a "Kemper" - German made version of the same design.

Speaking of eccentric, it seems I'm not the only one trying to lighten up a bit for the ~90 mile ride around Lake Pepin. This old Dunelt is ridden by a fellow named Steve, and he has built it into a proper path racer:

http://i.imgur.com/Qw8ia4c.png

He tells me he did some racing in his day and it shows - he blew past me a couple of times like I was standing still.



gster 05-16-17 06:47 PM


Originally Posted by DQRider (Post 19587533)
For those admiring the eccentric "Pedersen" in my Smiling Pelican Shot, you might like to know that is actually a "Kemper" - German made version of the same design.

Speaking of eccentric, it seems I'm not the only one trying to lighten up a bit for the ~90 mile ride around Lake Pepin. This old Dunelt is ridden by a fellow named Steve, and he has built it into a proper path racer:

http://i.imgur.com/Qw8ia4c.png

He tells me he did some racing in his day and it shows - he blew past me a couple of times like I was standing still.



I miss my Dunelt (swiped).

"Ride a Wheel on Sheffeild Steel".

sail 05-16-17 07:41 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 19588668)
I miss my Dunelt (swiped).

"Ride a Wheel on Sheffeild Steel".

I miss mine too (swiped too)!

DQRider 05-16-17 07:44 PM

The Old Stone Wall - Lake Pepin Tour
 

Originally Posted by gster (Post 19588668)
I miss my Dunelt (swiped).

"Ride a Wheel on Sheffeild Steel".

Sorry to hear about your loss :( I see a few Dunelts come up for sale now and then, but much fewer than the ubiquitous Raleigh Sports.

Speaking of Raleigh, here are a couple with a very English style background:

http://i.imgur.com/LjTQyYG.png

This is "The Old Stone Wall" at which people are supposed to take a break, light up their pipes and tell tales. Most seem to skip the pipe these days.

A driveside shot of that Raleigh Sports:

http://i.imgur.com/lidayUH.png

... and a couple of others who showed up after we got there:

http://i.imgur.com/yTku7Nv.png

The roads you take to get here are a welcome break from Highway 61. But at least this highway has a wide shoulder to ride on, unlike WI-35, which puts you cheek-by-jowl with the hordes of unmuffled Harleys that frequent the route on weekends. :twitchy:




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:11 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.