Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   ' APD [Albuquerque] placing 22 bike officers throughout the city' (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1179252)

Arthur Peabody 07-24-19 06:17 PM

' APD [Albuquerque] placing 22 bike officers throughout the city'

https://www.abqjournal.com/1344443/a...-the-city.html
Do these guys do any good? I see them around, haven't seen them addressing any crime. The shared-use trails are safer than the rest of Albuquerque. Homeless living on them are the only problem. I almost ran over one at night

bakerjw 07-25-19 05:13 AM

Think about how much more aware of our surroundings that we are when we're on a bike as opposed to in a car. While cycling, I am very aware of my surroundings. I believe that it is the same way for LEOs. It is also a good visible presence.

My wife and I were in Chattanooga for a few nights several years back. While out on the patio of a downtown restaurant, I counted something like 5 cop cars with their lights going for no reason. I asked our waitress "Why the light show?" She told us that groups of "hooligans" would come into downtown and cause problems, so that was the cities response to the problem.... Squad cars with lights running.

indyfabz 07-25-19 08:53 AM

1. Just because you haven't seen them "addressing" crime doesn't mean they haven't been. (Personally, I have seen bike cops collar at least one suspect.) And mere police presence can deter criminal acts.

2. As the headline and article point out, their patrols are not limited to trails.

3. As the article also points out, police interaction with community members is important. Much easier to talk with a bike cop than a cop in a patrol car.

livedarklions 07-25-19 12:55 PM

They're basically beat cops with a somewhat extended capacity to patrol. Their role is primarily deterrence and community relations. You put these guys where you want a visible police presence. The cars are for rapid response. I mostly see bike cops in downtown areas or other business districts.

Not sure what you mean exactly by "addressing crime". Outside of pulling people over for speeding, most times I see any police officers who ride in cars, they're just driving around. I generally try not to be at an active crime scene.

Notso_fastLane 07-25-19 03:04 PM

I would prefer to see bicycle cops running 'undercover' and going after aggressive drivers.

CA has started to do that with their motorcycle cops. They'll go lane splitting, looking like any other bike, and nab those ******* drivers that think it's their job to keep motorcycles 'in their lane'. :D

Arthur Peabody 07-25-19 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by bakerjw (Post 21043725)
Think about how much more aware of our surroundings that we are when we're on a bike as opposed to in a car.

I am, but cops are masters of oblivion.

Originally Posted by bakerjw (Post 21043725)
out on the patio of a downtown restaurant, I counted something like 5 cop cars with their lights going for no reason. I asked our waitress "Why the light show?" She told us that groups of "hooligans" would come into downtown and cause problems, so that was the cities response to the problem.... Squad cars with lights running.

They like to flock together, especially if they can turn their lights on.

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21044073)
1. Just because you haven't seen them "addressing" crime doesn't mean they haven't been.

Yes. I rarely see any cops addressing crime - good thing, too. I was just pointing out that I haven't seen them do it, and I'm on bicycle a lot.

(Personally, I have seen bike cops collar at least one suspect.)

You're 1 ahead of me.

And mere police presence can deter criminal acts.

Yes. I don't know that on bicycle makes them more present. I suspect less, the case with bicyclists in general.

2. As the headline and article point out, their patrols are not limited to trails.

I just meant to point out that the shared-use trails, best served on bike, aren't a particular problem.

3. As the article also points out, police interaction with community members is important. Much easier to talk with a bike cop than a cop in a patrol car.

Albuquerque's cops shoot people. I avoid them.

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21044494)
Not sure what you mean exactly by "addressing crime".

Just that I see them around, haven't seen them in action, while I have seen car and foot police in action.

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane (Post 21044695)
I would prefer to see bicycle cops running 'undercover' and going after aggressive drivers.

That's a better idea. Better yet, a cop not loaded up with all that hardware, who keeps an eye out, calls in the armed cops if s/he sees a problem. We have a lot of porch pirates and some homeless people in our neighborhood. A cop witnessing their thefts could be effective.

bakerjw 07-26-19 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Arthur P*****y (Post 21045049)
I am, but cops are masters of oblivion.

Sorry but not all are. That includes my family and friends that are in law enforcement.

Originally Posted by Arthur P*****y (Post 21045049)
They like to flock together, especially if they can turn their lights on.

I guess that I should have clarified that this was over a several block range.

Oh, and welcome to the ignore club too.

Arthur Peabody 07-26-19 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by bakerjw (Post 21045497)
Sorry but not all are.

Why are you sorry?

Originally Posted by bakerjw (Post 21045497)
welcome to the ignore club too.

You're the president?

genec 07-27-19 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Arthur P*****y (Post 21045568)
Why are you sorry?

You're the president?

Funny. I love seeing folks announce "I am ignoring you" as if that has any effect on the ignoree, and the mere announcement is an indicator that they were not ignored.

And of course, the real irony... here, folks on "ignore lists" still show in replies to others.

Arthur Peabody 07-27-19 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by genec (Post 21046897)
"ignore lists".

What's an 'ignore list'?

genec 07-27-19 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Arthur P*****y (Post 21047632)
What's an 'ignore list'?

You'll have to ask the folks that put others on "ignore." I just think the whole concept is weird... especially to announce. "You're on ignore... " as if THAT means anything.

I-Like-To-Bike 07-29-19 08:13 AM

Funny. I love seeing folks announce "I am ignoring you" as if that has any effect on the ignoree, and the mere announcement is an indicator that they were not ignored.

And of course, the real irony... here, folks on "ignore lists" still show in replies to others.

Another funny non-issue is the silly posts that make it easy for others to ignore with just one glance due to their ignorable content being wrapped in hey-look-at-me visual idiosyncrasies (large or colored fonts, scads of nested quote boxes, goofball smilies, and/or verbose signatures listing their pets or other nonsense)

livedarklions 07-29-19 01:20 PM

Actually, it means I'm ignoring that person from now on, not that I've been ignoring them up to that point. I find there's some people I'm better off not getting sucked into any more stupid arguments with, and making the big show of slamming down the telephone forces me to actually ignore the person going forward or look like an idiot.

I've got a few trolls on my list who are obviously on a bunch of others--all I can see is that they post something occasionally, and no one responds to them at all.

Arthur Peabody 07-29-19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21050181)
Actually, it means I'm ignoring that person from now on

That's what I wanted him to do. In the bad old days I had to tell annoying people to go away. Don't go away mad - just go away. Now they do it unprompted - yay!

livedarklions 07-29-19 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Arthur P*****y (Post 21050314)
That's what I wanted him to do. In the bad old days I had to tell annoying people to go away. Don't go away mad - just go away. Now they do it unprompted - yay!

Don't get me wrong--your generalizations about cops are kind of on the lamely offensive side.

livedarklions 07-29-19 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike (Post 21049632)
Another funny non-issue is the silly posts that make it easy for others to ignore with just one glance due to their ignorable content being wrapped in hey-look-at-me visual idiosyncrasies (large or colored fonts, scads of nested quote boxes, goofball smilies, and/or verbose signatures listing their pets or other nonsense)

Or pictures of smiling cats?

Daniel4 07-29-19 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21050181)

I've got a few trolls on my list who are obviously on a bunch of others--all I can see is that they post something occasionally, and no one responds to them at all.

Why make any kind of announcement? This is the internet. We've all been warned before. Don't feed the trolls with any kind of response.

I know who's trying to taunt me too.

livedarklions 07-29-19 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel4 (Post 21050677)
Why make any kind of announcement? This is the internet. We've all been warned before. Don't feed the trolls with any kind of response.

I know who's trying to taunt me too.

I just find it easier to let go of it with a little "closure.". It's my reason, you don't have to like it.

/ignore.

Just kidding, I don't mind you disagreeing with me.

Arthur Peabody 09-18-19 10:05 PM

'ABQ Bike Cops Lower Crime Rate
City crime statistics show that some Albuquerque areas have seen improvements since the introduction of police bike patrols.
According to KOAT, arrests went up 25 percent in the Southeast Area Command in the year since bike patrols were introduced, while commercial burglaries have dropped 32 percent and auto thefts have dropped 24 percent. It is unclear whether these statistics were directly impacted by the presence of bicycle officers.
Officials say bike cops are better equipped to patrol and respond in urban areas thanks to their enhanced mobility. The city is reportedly in the process of hiring 10 more bike cops to patrol Central Avenue along the ART corridor.'
https://alibi.com/news/59341/Team-to...ter-Reuse.html

mcours2006 09-19-19 09:24 AM

Anyhoo, back on topic...:innocent:

Maybe the sheer presence, or the known presence, of the cops on the trails and parks is enough to deter any nefarious and illicit activities. Maybe.

livedarklions 09-24-19 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by mcours2006 (Post 21129146)
Anyhoo, back on topic...:innocent:

Maybe the sheer presence, or the known presence, of the cops on the trails and parks is enough to deter any nefarious and illicit activities. Maybe.

These cops are on street patrol, not necessarily trails and parks. Not a lot of commercial burglaries and car thefts on trails and in parks.

CB HI 09-24-19 10:10 PM

Cops on bicycles provides them a first hand view of how some motorist treat cyclist. Even in cop uniform, many motorist are too clueless to notice the uniform before doing something stupid. Cops seeing the view we see, rather than just a squad car view is a very good thing for cycling.

I-Like-To-Bike 09-25-19 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 21137170)
Cops on bicycles provides them a first hand view of how some motorist treat cyclist. Even in cop uniform, many motorist are too clueless to notice the uniform before doing something stupid. Cops seeing the view we see, rather than just a squad car view is a very good thing for cycling.

Ya mean not all cops are clueless about the law, gun toting thugs out to hassle sweet innocent bicycle riders? That is good to know!

at_hiker59 11-09-19 08:14 AM

I bike for a college police dept. I get a lot of interaction with the community because Im more accessible to people as indyfabz points out.

I go places officers rarely go. Its more than just PR.

I was inspired by the DC police & NPS police who I see ride all year including winter.

rydabent 11-09-19 08:42 AM

We have some bike patrol officers. They say the bikes are great. They can quietly roll right up to crooks doing something wrong, because the crooks dont hear them coming!