Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

Bah Humbug 09-01-21 10:08 AM


Originally Posted by Jack Tone (Post 22210492)
I watched the whole GNC preview of the new groupset, and the said that DuraAce and Ultegra would be available in rim brake versions. I'm not sure if they would be wireless, though.

Not wireless. Itís the old brifters with new plugs for the new wires.

datlas 09-01-21 10:24 AM


Originally Posted by Jack Tone (Post 22210492)
I watched the whole GNC preview of the new groupset, and the said that DuraAce and Ultegra would be available in rim brake versions. I'm not sure if they would be wireless, though.

My understanding is for rim version you need wires. The new wireless shifters are apparently only being made for hydraulic disc brakes.

Jack Tone 09-01-21 10:45 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22210510)
Only the disc brake versions are wireless. Also, the rim brake STIs don't get the new shape.


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22210515)
Not wireless. Itís the old brifters with new plugs for the new wires.


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22210538)
My understanding is for rim version you need wires. The new wireless shifters are apparently only being made for hydraulic disc brakes.

Well, that sucks for those of us who would like to upgrade without wires.

seedsbelize 09-01-21 10:47 AM

I wish I had time to watch live cycling events. When we lived in the city I had all kinds of time. Out here en el campo, there is always something that needs doing. In rainy season anyway, which will be coming to a close in the next month or so. But so will live cycling events.

seedsbelize 09-01-21 10:48 AM


Originally Posted by Jack Tone (Post 22210561)
Well, that sucks for those of us who would like to upgrade without wires.

Could these wireless shifters be hacked? Curious.

LAJ 09-01-21 10:49 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22210432)
Cold is cold.

Nope.

LesterOfPuppets 09-01-21 10:50 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 22210563)
I wish I had time to watch live cycling events. When we lived in the city I had all kinds of time. Out here en el campo, there is always something that needs doing. In rainy season anyway, which will be coming to a close in the next month or so. But so will live cycling events.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5542c8ead3.jpg

Velo Vol 09-01-21 10:56 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22210432)
Cold is cold.

Cold is idiotic.

Mojo31 09-01-21 11:02 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22210577)
Cold is idiotic.

One thing you and I can agree upon.

Jack Tone 09-01-21 11:07 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 22210564)
Could these wireless shifters be hacked? Curious.

In the GNC interview with the Shimano tech, he said during testing there was a lot of interference from all the wireless tech around, like planes, camera bikes, etc. So they developed a new wireless platform? I'm curious how many different signals there can be till, in a 100 person peloton, somebody isn't shifting someone else's bike.
Funny story, in high school I took an auto shop class. The teacher gave me some keys and said go to the teacher's parking lot, bring the white Olds back for a tune up. He got his tune up, but his parking spot was gone, so I parked it somewhere else. Later that day, a teacher called the office to say his car was gone, another teacher called the shop and asked when he was going to get his tuneup.

datlas 09-01-21 11:08 AM


Originally Posted by Jack Tone (Post 22210561)
Well, that sucks for those of us who would like to upgrade without wires.

Correct

WhyFi 09-01-21 11:09 AM


Originally Posted by Jack Tone (Post 22210602)
I'm curious how many different signals there can be till, in a 100 person peloton, somebody isn't shifting someone else's bike.

I'm pretty confident that they've moved the technology significantly beyond the late 80's RC cars of my youth.

Bah Humbug 09-01-21 11:16 AM

Cold can #DIAF.

datlas 09-01-21 11:19 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22210616)
Cold can #DIAF.

Die In A Freeze?

Bah Humbug 09-01-21 11:21 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22210621)
Die In A Freeze?

That wouldnít kill cold though. No no, fire kills cold. #science

genejockey 09-01-21 11:28 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 22210564)
Could these wireless shifters be hacked? Curious.

Like the Cinzano boys did to Dave Stohler?

genejockey 09-01-21 11:29 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22210624)
That wouldnít kill cold though. No no, fire kills cold. #science

I'm not sure of that. Every so often, you see pictures of the aftermath of fires in the winter in the North, where the water used to put out the fire freezes artistically.

Velo Vol 09-01-21 11:36 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22210597)
One thing you and I can agree upon.

As well as the pageantry of SEC sports.


genejockey 09-01-21 11:50 AM

Well, the offer expired on that Litespeed frame without me buying it. Must not have been jonesing THAT badly.

abshipp 09-01-21 11:56 AM

Be careful out there, folks.

At the very tail end of my ride I came across a rider on the ground on the MUP. Said he just wasn't paying attention and went off the side of the path. When he tried to get back on he fell and now very likely has a broken hip :(

Another gentleman and I hung out until he got picked up. Thankfully he was only 20 yards or so from a road intersection.

genejockey 09-01-21 11:57 AM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22210671)
Be careful out there, folks.

At the very tail end of my ride I came across a rider on the ground on the MUP. Said he just wasn't paying attention and went off the side of the path. When he tried to get back on he fell and now very likely has a broken hip :(

Another gentleman and I hung out until he got picked up. Thankfully he was only 20 yards or so from a road intersection.

Yikes!

Mojo31 09-01-21 11:58 AM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22210616)
Cold can #DIAF.

Thought you want to move to New York? Particularly to a part of New York where it snows an average of 5' per year, and is an area that is considered cold to very cold/freezing seven months of the year.

Bah Humbug 09-01-21 11:58 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22210634)
I'm not sure of that. Every so often, you see pictures of the aftermath of fires in the winter in the North, where the water used to put out the fire freezes artistically.

Well then the problem is not enough fire, obvs. The theory is sound.

bampilot06 09-01-21 12:02 PM

Had a dream my best friends dad wrecked my breakaway. Borrowed it without asking and returned it without telling me.

Went for a ride and the rear wheel was bent to hell and the rear de reailer was bent.

Been awake now for about 30 mins, well aware it was a dream, but I am still angry at him.

I wonder how angry I would be if it were true.

Bah Humbug 09-01-21 12:03 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22210677)
Thought you want to move to New York? Particularly to a part of New York where it snows an average of 5' per year, and is an area that is considered cold to very cold/freezing seven months of the year.

NY is a maybe (but the likeliest one). And I donít like specifically that aspect, but Iíve lived with it before. Critically though, the events of the past 18 months have made it clear that AG and I are horribly isolated out here in Texas. In NY weíd be in single-tank driving distance of relatives in three states, including the ancestral homestead. Are the past 18 months an outlier and things are about to get back to normal? I sadly donít think so, and weíd rather be around her parents and most of my family for the foreseeable future.

Iím also capable of cold-adapting. Thatís part of why Iím getting back to running.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:03 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.