Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

genejockey 11-16-21 10:36 AM

Oh, yeah - and the effect you describe is one of the problems with the Pace Partners - constant wattage. Real humans push harder on the climb, then go light on the descent, but with Pace Partners when you hit the top and would normally rest, they keep on at 2.5W/kg down the other side.

Eric F 11-16-21 10:40 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22309427)
Whew! A word of advice to the Zwifters that have recently started riding with C. Cadence: yeah, don't let your mind wander through the Titan's Grove section. This morning, I jumped in mid-climb, which is pretty sedate with CC, but, as I was fiddling with giving Ride Ons or something, we crested, there was the surge, and I found myself instantly split on the downhill and it took some ass-bustin' to catch back on to the pack.

Do you use the Companion app while you ride? Do you know the easy way to drop Ride-Ons on the people around you?

As you found, you have to keep the motor going on the downhill sections, too. I like the C-bot pace, and ride with that group a lot. I tend to find myself with a small group that splinters off the front on a climb, and then keeps working at a 2.7+ level. B-bot is out of my reach right now.

big john 11-16-21 10:48 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22309450)
Oh, yeah - and the effect you describe is one of the problems with the Pace Partners - constant wattage. Real humans push harder on the climb, then go light on the descent, but with Pace Partners when you hit the top and would normally rest, they keep on at 2.5W/kg down the other side.


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22309461)
Do you use the Companion app while you ride? Do you know the easy way to drop Ride-Ons on the people around you?

As you found, you have to keep the motor going on the downhill sections, too. I like the C-bot pace, and ride with that group a lot. I tend to find myself with a small group that splinters off the front on a climb, and then keeps working at a 2.7+ level. B-bot is out of my reach right now.

This makes my head hurt.

Eric F 11-16-21 10:50 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22309475)
This makes my head hurt.

You're supposed to use your legs.

Eric F 11-16-21 10:55 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22309450)
Oh, yeah - and the effect you describe is one of the problems with the Pace Partners - constant wattage. Real humans push harder on the climb, then go light on the descent, but with Pace Partners when you hit the top and would normally rest, they keep on at 2.5W/kg down the other side.

I find my natural tendency is to go a bit harder than 2.5 on the climbs, which takes me to the front of the group, and then I can go a bit easier for a little while on the descent as the group comes around me again.

BillyD 11-16-21 10:55 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22309419)
Baseball, soccer fans, and other riffraff.

Ute football, too. Future Volunteers.

WhyFi 11-16-21 10:59 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22309450)
Oh, yeah - and the effect you describe is one of the problems with the Pace Partners - constant wattage. Real humans push harder on the climb, then go light on the descent, but with Pace Partners when you hit the top and would normally rest, they keep on at 2.5W/kg down the other side.

Yeah, and it's compounded by the fact that the pacesetter is being additionally sheltered by the pack, which makes for a very brisk pace.


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22309461)
Do you use the Companion app while you ride? Do you know the easy way to drop Ride-Ons on the people around you?

As you found, you have to keep the motor going on the downhill sections, too. I like the C-bot pace, and ride with that group a lot. I tend to find myself with a small group that splinters off the front on a climb, and then keeps working at a 2.7+ level. B-bot is out of my reach right now.

Yeah, I use the Companion App and just tap my location to dole out to those nearby. Is there another way?

I've only done one 40-minute round with BB. Certainly more work, but the main concern was the same as today - not getting split on a downhill. That is weird about the bots - as a bigger guy, it's very rare IRL that I work on downhills and use the uphill sections to rest, but that's Zwift for ya.

BillyD 11-16-21 11:03 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22309421)
Maybe they could build a velodrome instead? That would attract snooty track cyclists.


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22309429)
That's what I've said. There's not one in the entire region.

In their view they've provided $$ for MUPS, now it's time to show some love for the ball sports.

indyfabz 11-16-21 11:05 AM

lplo

Eric F 11-16-21 11:05 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22309494)
Yeah, I use the Companion App and just tap my location to dole out to those nearby. Is there another way?

That's the easy way. There is a way to drop them on a specifically selected rider, but it's cumbersome.

Velo Vol 11-16-21 11:06 AM

Eating frosted mini-wheats (Trader Joe's). Yum. LesterOfPuppets

seedsbelize2 11-16-21 11:33 AM

bampilot06
I use a gel containing lidocaine and naproxen on my knees when they flare up. Once or twice a day for one or two days. It was recommended by the pharmacist. I don't know if you can get it over the counter there. And of course it only works if inflammation is the root problem.

phrantic09 11-16-21 11:36 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22309494)
Yeah, and it's compounded by the fact that the pacesetter is being additionally sheltered by the pack, which makes for a very brisk pace.



Yeah, I use the Companion App and just tap my location to dole out to those nearby. Is there another way?

I've only done one 40-minute round with BB. Certainly more work, but the main concern was the same as today - not getting split on a downhill. That is weird about the bots - as a bigger guy, it's very rare IRL that I work on downhills and use the uphill sections to rest, but that's Zwift for ya.

create a custom workout in another app at 2.5W/kg and put the trainer on ERG. Have Zwift receive power and HR only and you donít even need to pay attention to keep with the pace setter.

note- I havenít tried this yet

mvnsnd 11-16-21 12:16 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22309532)
create a custom workout in another app at 2.5W/kg and put the trainer on ERG. Have Zwift receive power and HR only and you donít even need to pay attention to keep with the pace setter.

note- I havenít tried this yet


Only issue is that they are not going at a completely consistent pace, but within a window - https://zwiftinsider.com/pace-partners-2/

seedsbelize2 11-16-21 12:31 PM

The lemon was the key ingredient. We're eating real hummus now. During the lime phase, I came up with various things to try to give it some flavor. One of those things was Kalamata olives. That ingredient is a keeper.

LAJ 11-16-21 12:32 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22309396)
Ugh, the decline of Knoxville is underway. #P&R

https://twitter.com/randyboyd/status...06804770144261

Knoxville is doing just fine.

Knoxville Raceway - Sprint Car Capital of the World!

rjones28 11-16-21 12:43 PM

Motorsports. We have them.

New York Auto Racetracks | Albany Saratoga Speedway & More (iloveny.com)

indyfabz 11-16-21 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22309593)
I came up with various things to try to give it some flavor. One of those things was Kalamata olives. That ingredient is a keeper.

Roasted red pepper. Garlic. Lots and lots of garlic. Jalapeno pepper.

There used to be a brand of hummus called Bobbi's that was made maybe 2 miles from where I live. It was awesome. The garlic hummus, which was their first one, would knock your socks off. I believe the founder eventually sold the business and the brand is no more. Sad.

datlas 11-16-21 12:49 PM

Hey indyfabz ever have hummus from Zahav? It's quite good.

rjones28 11-16-21 12:50 PM

And a velodrome...

Cycling Tracks - Kissena Velodrome : NYC Parks (nycgovparks.org)

... but the the one in Pennsylvania is closer.

Welcome to T-Town - Valley Preferred Cycling Center (thevelodrome.com)

LesterOfPuppets 11-16-21 12:53 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22309193)
But no scurvy I take it?

I dunno, the drive thru testing site didn't offer a scurvy test :(

LesterOfPuppets 11-16-21 12:56 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22309396)
Ugh, the decline of Knoxville is underway. #P&R

https://twitter.com/randyboyd/status...06804770144261

Ladies and gentlemen, the Knoxville Knockers!

Mojo31 11-16-21 12:59 PM

Interesting email I just got.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4f8e9647de.jpg

indyfabz 11-16-21 01:12 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22309622)
... but the the one in Pennsylvania is closer.

Welcome to T-Town - Valley Preferred Cycling Center (thevelodrome.com)

They used to have spring and fall swap meets there every year. One fall I saw Greg LeMond there as he was about to go for a ride with a few buds. That was probably '07.

It's funny. For someone who's not all that into racing I have had some relatively close brushes with racers. I rode behind 7-11 and Coors Light the day before the '87 U.S. Pro Championship. In 1995, while riding to a Giro stage finish at the Bianchi factory in Treveliglio, Pantani came spinning solo in the opposite direction. (He sat out that year to rehab for Le Tour.) Bobby Julich, who was living in Philly for a while, rode by me on a local bike trail as I was stripping off layers on New Years Day in maybe '00. or was that '92? And Lance and the Motorola squad rode by me as I was attending to a mechanical on the same bike trail in 2001. .

LesterOfPuppets 11-16-21 01:13 PM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22309661)
They used to have spring and fall swap meets there every year. One fall I saw Greg LeMond there as he was about to go for a ride with a few buds. That was probably '07.

It's funny. For someone who's not all that into racing I have had some relatively close brushes with racers. I rode behind 7-11 and Coors Light the day before the '87 U.S. Pro Championship. In 1995, while riding to a Giro stage finish at the Bianchi factory in Treveliglio, Pantani came spinning solo in the opposite direction. (He sat out that year to rehab for Le Tour.) Bobby Julich, who was living in Philly for a while, rode by me on a local bike trail as I was stripping off layers on New Years Day in maybe '00. or was that '92? And Lance and the Motorola squad rode by me as I was attending to a mechanical on the same bike trail in 2001. .

​​​​​​
did they wave?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:05 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.