Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

djkashuba 07-23-11 06:44 PM

Yes. I am surprised that I am comfortable on the 24". I am 5' 10" with a 31 inseam. Ride comfortably on a 56/57 road frame. But this fits fine.

noglider 07-24-11 05:37 PM

I just sold a nice 3-speed to a friend. It's a Royal, a name I never heard of. It's clearly a Raleigh. It has a TCW-III hub and two caliper brakes, so it has three brakes in total. The date on the hub is 1963. I bought it from the original owner. He can't remember whether he added the coaster brake or the rear caliper brake, but he knows he did one or the other.

I put on my 22T sprocket from my Rudge, since he'll be doing some hill climbing. I've been considering using a 24T sprocket on my Rudge, so now is my chance. And now I can't find who sells them. I know I've had the information, but now I can't find it!

Who sells 24T cogs for Sturmey Archer hubs?

wahoonc 07-24-11 05:48 PM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 12979847)
I just sold a nice 3-speed to a friend. It's a Royal, a name I never heard of. It's clearly a Raleigh. It has a TCW-III hub and two caliper brakes, so it has three brakes in total. The date on the hub is 1963. I bought it from the original owner. He can't remember whether he added the coaster brake or the rear caliper brake, but he knows he did one or the other.

I put on my 22T sprocket from my Rudge, since he'll be doing some hill climbing. I've been considering using a 24T sprocket on my Rudge, so now is my chance. And now I can't find who sells them. I know I've had the information, but now I can't find it!

Who sells 24T cogs for Sturmey Archer hubs?

BikeSmith Design has the 24t as well as a 26t :eek:

Aaron :)

noglider 07-24-11 07:20 PM

Right! Bookmarked for the future. Before I buy, I'll see if I can gear my bike down with a replacement crank instead. I was going to leave the bike mostly original, but I guess I'm open minded to putting in an aluminum cotterless crank, if I can find the right chainring.

Schwinnsta 07-24-11 08:18 PM

Sure it wasn't a Royal Scott? I had one of those before.

noglider 07-24-11 09:07 PM

Yup, it was just a Royal. I've never seen another, but it's just a Raleigh.

photogravity 07-24-11 09:18 PM

His 1976 and Hers 1977 Raleigh Sports
 
As it turns out, my search for my first couple of English 3-speed bikes has ended. I was able to get my hands on a gents 1976 and a ladies 1977 Raleigh Sports. Both are near pristine and are original down to the tires.

There is one strange thing on the gents bike in that it doesn't have the white paint on the tail section of the fender. I'm guessing that is was removed with solvent or something. Also the reflector does not appear to be original. Does anyone have any insights on the fender issue? Should I repaint the white section to put it back in its original state or leave it alone? Also what about the reflector: leave well enough alone or change that back too? Of note is that I bought the bikes to ride AND to look at. :)

Here are the latest toys to share with the folks in the C&V forum.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/threefa...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/threefa...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/threefa...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/threefa...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/threefa...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/threefa...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/threefa...n/photostream/

mkeller234 07-24-11 10:34 PM


Originally Posted by djkashuba (Post 12975162)
Raleigh DL-1 '80

It is taking me a long time to tune this up...every time I "take it around the block" for a shake-down cruise I end up riding, and riding, and riding...

Very much appreciate the information on DL-1's in the archives. These bikes do have their quirks.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6128/...bfdc46e2_b.jpg
P1070074.jpg by djk762, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6129/...a7009c28_b.jpg
P1070066.jpg by djk762, on Flickr

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6023/...703f3d9a_b.jpg
P1070060.jpg by djk762, on Flickr

Very nice! I have a SA trigger cover that still has the sticker. You can have it for free if you want... or maybe you removed the (sort of ugly) sticker on purpose?

mkeller234 07-24-11 10:41 PM


Originally Posted by photogravity (Post 12980928)
As it turns out, my search for my first couple of English 3-speed bikes has ended. I was able to get my hands on a gents 1976 and a ladies 1977 Raleigh Sports. Both are near pristine and are original down to the tires.

There is one strange thing on the gents bike in that it doesn't have the white paint on the tail section of the fender. I'm guessing that is was removed with solvent or something. Also the reflector does not appear to be original. Does anyone have any insights on the fender issue? Should I repaint the white section to put it back in its original state or leave it alone? Also what about the reflector: leave well enough alone or change that back too? Of note is that I bought the bikes to ride AND to look at. :)

Here are the latest toys to share with the folks in the C&V forum.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/threefa...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/threefa...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/threefa...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/threefa...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/threefa...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/threefa...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/threefa...n/photostream/

Nice looking set, did you buy them both from the same place? That men's sports is a rare large size, count me as jealous. The reflector on the men's would bother me a bit too, the coolest ones are the small white rubber circles. I think you can find those reflectors on Ebay under Sturmey archer or Dare, the sturmey ones are slightly larger I think. At some point I think the Raleighs came without the white tail on the fenders, someone else probably knows more about that than myself. The white tail was a British safety thing, maybe the men's is a Canadian model?

folderfan550 07-24-11 11:29 PM

I have a 1976 or 1977 silver Sports that has the same reflector but with the white painted tip. It originally had a black molded plastic mudflap surrounding the reflector and bracket. It is also missing on mine. The two additional holes in the fender/mudguard helped hold the mudflap. Flickr photo of a similar Sports (not mine) which retains its mudflap. http://www.flickr.com/photos/3046837...57624251786212

photogravity 07-25-11 04:22 AM


Originally Posted by djkashuba (Post 12975162)
Raleigh DL-1 '80

It is taking me a long time to tune this up...every time I "take it around the block" for a shake-down cruise I end up riding, and riding, and riding...

Very much appreciate the information on DL-1's in the archives. These bikes do have their quirks.

That is one delectable bike. I definitely understand what you're saying about the little shakedown runs turning into full-blown rides.

I am intrigued by rod brake bicycles and only recently realized that they were made into the 80s and, I guess, even later. Maybe once I get my current collection of bikes under control, perhaps I'll track one down to supplement my collection and to play with.

photogravity 07-25-11 04:45 AM


Originally Posted by mkeller234 (Post 12981227)
Nice looking set, did you buy them both from the same place? That men's sports is a rare large size, count me as jealous. The reflector on the men's would bother me a bit too, the coolest ones are the small white rubber circles. I think you can find those reflectors on Ebay under Sturmey archer or Dare, the sturmey ones are slightly larger I think. At some point I think the Raleighs came without the white tail on the fenders, someone else probably knows more about that than myself. The white tail was a British safety thing, maybe the men's is a Canadian model?

I wish they were both bought from the same guy/place! The men's bike was bought off CL from a guy in Central NJ, while the ladies one was bought off eBay from someone in Ohio. Ironically, I paid less for the eBay bike. Go figure...

I, as with djkashuba, was worried the bike would be almost too large, but it fits surprisingly well. It makes me feel somewhat happy to know I've got something a little rare. :) I'll dig around eBay for some nicer reflectors. Thanks for the tip.

photogravity 07-25-11 04:54 AM


Originally Posted by folderfan550 (Post 12981373)
I have a 1976 or 1977 silver Sports that has the same reflector but with the white painted tip. It originally had a black molded plastic mudflap surrounding the reflector and bracket. It is also missing on mine. The two additional holes in the fender/mudguard helped hold the mudflap. Flickr photo of a similar Sports (not mine) which retains its mudflap. http://www.flickr.com/photos/3046837...57624251786212

That is good information and I don't feel so bad about my bike missing the mudflap since your bike is also missing its mudflap. I need to look a bit closer at the bike on Flickr, but I think it also doesn't have the white tip. I'll need to look again. Maybe Raleigh was moving away from the white tips at that juncture perhaps?

noglider 07-25-11 10:02 AM

photogravity, I can imagine that the silver bike didn't have the white portion on the fender. I would leave it as it is.

And I would give in to practicality and mount TAILLIGHTS on the fenders instead of reflectors. Better yet, mount BOTH.

banjo_mole 07-25-11 10:26 AM

For what it's worth, right now I'm in the Portland area and I'm on the hunt for an English 3-speed, in a smaller size, and fair condition. PM me if you have any leads!

noglider 07-25-11 11:33 AM

banjo_mole, use a google alert.

Your terms should be "3-speed site:portland.craigslist.org/bik"

You'll get a nightly email if any new listings come up.

Edit: the vbulletin software displays a colon-p as an emoticon. Read my terms carefully.

photogravity 07-25-11 11:37 AM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 12983065)
photogravity, I can imagine that the silver bike didn't have the white portion on the fender. I would leave it as it is.

And I would give in to practicality and mount TAILLIGHTS on the fenders instead of reflectors. Better yet, mount BOTH.

You know, but I think you are right about the white not being on the fender originally. I suppose I'll leave it alone since I don't want to destroy the originality of the bike.

I am definitely about practicality and definitely will add a taillight of some sort to the bike, and a headlight too. Likely I'll add a dynamo hub will also be in the works. After all, I plan to take at least one of these bikes on the Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour (if I can get signed up) next year and lighting is something that I believe will assist in keeping me safe. I am slowly converting all my bikes to add dynamo lighting as I continue my move towards internal gear hubs. They are a technology that are made for each other, IMO.

KonAaron Snake 07-25-11 11:42 AM

For anyone interested, a silver (I think chrome) Sports came up, with Brooks, in Philly for $200.

rhm 07-25-11 11:47 AM


Originally Posted by banjo_mole (Post 12983230)
For what it's worth, right now I'm in the Portland area and I'm on the hunt for an English 3-speed, in a smaller size, and fair condition. PM me if you have any leads!

I just saw one on ebay... pick up only... maybe it was a BSA?

Edit...

Yes, here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BSA-Youth-Bicycl...item45fbf78e8b

Small three speed, pick up only in Dallas, Oregon. Seems to have the cool BSA crank, a dynohub, a possibly bent fork... how could you possibly resist a deal like that?

folderfan550 07-25-11 11:51 AM


Originally Posted by photogravity (Post 12981813)
That is good information and I don't feel so bad about my bike missing the mudflap since your bike is also missing its mudflap. I need to look a bit closer at the bike on Flickr, but I think it also doesn't have the white tip. I'll need to look again. Maybe Raleigh was moving away from the white tips at that juncture perhaps?

I have seen the Flickr bike in person and it does not have the white tip, if I remember correctly. Of course, I can't find the close-up photos of the reflector/mudflap.

banjo_mole 07-25-11 12:54 PM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 12983713)
banjo_mole, use a google alert.

Your terms should be "3-speed site:portland.craigslist.org/bik"

You'll get a nightly email if any new listings come up.

Edit: the vbulletin software displays a colon-p as an emoticon. Read my terms carefully.

Awesome! Thanks a bunch! However, above craigslist, I was simply checking to see if any users here had any "grapevine" leads in PDX, but I'll definitely have a google alert up.

wahoonc 07-25-11 02:25 PM


Originally Posted by photogravity (Post 12981765)
That is one delectable bike. I definitely understand what you're saying about the little shakedown runs turning into full-blown rides.

I am intrigued by rod brake bicycles and only recently realized that they were made into the 80s and, I guess, even later. Maybe once I get my current collection of bikes under control, perhaps I'll track one down to supplement my collection and to play with.

IIRC 1984 was the last year for the Raleigh DL-1 Tourist. However they are still being made by a variety of manufacturers in India and China. Flying Pigeon is the primary Chinese brand. You might find an Eastman which was the India brand.

Aaron :)

Sixty Fiver 07-25-11 02:48 PM


Originally Posted by banjo_mole (Post 12983230)
For what it's worth, right now I'm in the Portland area and I'm on the hunt for an English 3-speed, in a smaller size, and fair condition. PM me if you have any leads!

If I was driving down to PDX in August I'd be bringing a lovely Raleigh Sports with me (for re-sale)... with a busy schedule I am planning on flying as that will give me more time for the important things like marrying my fiancee. :)

Rode my '54 today and it was a more somber affair as I went to a memorial service for a friend, and fellow three speed fan who passed away suddenly and unexpectedly last Monday.

Rode the Raleigh in memory of my friend as it was these old 3 speeds that brought us together and we also sahared a love of folders and Kuwaharas... his winter bike was much like mine and he was restoring a Dawes Kingpin which we will finish for him.

On such a hot day the 3 speed was perfect... one dresses up for such things and did not want to push a faster pace which the bike is capable of but we know how it is with three speeds... they seem to know how fast you need to go. :)

There is a memorial ride later this evening so for that I will bring my folder, which used to be a three speed... it was a bike he said inspired him to build one of his own.

Reminds me that in all of this that bikes are just things that take us places and sometimes we find ourselves in places where we are fortunate enough to meet some truly good people and find new friends.

KonAaron Snake 07-25-11 02:57 PM

So is anyone interested in that chrome Raleigh Sports?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/2508004258.html

Will help fascilitate.

wahoonc 07-25-11 03:19 PM


Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake (Post 12984968)
So is anyone interested in that chrome Raleigh Sports?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/2508004258.html

Will help fascilitate.

I just tapped out my "bike" account for the near future :( Ordering parts for a build on the 1985 Raleigh Record that I got last week, plus parts for my tour build, plus parts for....

Aaron :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.