Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   need grease recommendation (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1108195)

bonsai171 05-17-17 08:46 PM

need grease recommendation

Hi,

I just ordered a Shimano UN55 BB for a singlespeed bike, and need a recommendation for what to use to lube the threads. Got some chain lube, but that probably isn't heavy enough. Is automotive wheel bearing grease ok, or is it better to go with something bike specific?

Dave

AristoNYC 05-17-17 08:55 PM

I use marine grease from home depot, comes in a tube, but a bearing specific grease will work as well (i.e. phil wood or equivalent https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...erproof-grease)

Lucas Oil 14.5 oz. Marine Grease-10320 - The Home Depot

Larry77 05-17-17 08:59 PM

I've had good luck with Park Tools grease but I'm sure there are cheaper options. I find these tubes on Amazon last quite awhile for me:

Park Tool Grease in tube

scoho 05-17-17 09:07 PM

Right, don't use chain lube.

You don't need something bike-specific, especially for threads. I'd recommend something waterproof, and you can't beat the price and functionality of some good old marine grease.

seau grateau 05-17-17 09:51 PM

hairnet 05-17-17 10:41 PM

+1 for a tub of marine grease, cheaper than Park grease and it will last a long time. Marine grease seems suitable for bicycle bearings as well.

veganbikes 05-18-17 12:14 AM

You can be a peasant and go with cheap crappy grease that may not even hold up or you can use the right grease:
Krytox 240 AB Grease, 2 oz. tube

scoho 05-18-17 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 19591687)
You can be a peasant and go with cheap crappy grease that may not even hold up or you can use the right grease:

The Krytox grease is obviously a joke, but, for less perspicacious readers who might take the other part of the comment seriously:

Inexpensive marine grease is not actually "cheap" or "crappy". It's excellent for use on bikes, and the only real drawbacks are that 1) it's messier, and makes contamination harder to spot, than something like this, and 2) it's probably thicker than you would want if you're racing and want to squeeze every last bit of performance out of high precision bearings in bottom brackets and hubs. Otherwise, I'm not aware of any genuine reason not to use it on bikes, and, in fact, it's not only inexpensive but probably better than most bike-specific greases in terms of sealing power and hardiness.

50voltphantom 05-18-17 07:24 AM

I just wish I knew what WI uses on their freewheel pawls. They say specifically to NOT use grease, but they totally do.

rgconner 05-18-17 07:36 AM

Real cyclists use a mix of tallow and paraffin...

any lithium based grease should work fine. Marine grease is usually waterproof, so that sounds like a winner.

You don't want water in those threads, especially the BB.

SquidPuppet 05-18-17 10:24 AM

+37 for thick marine grease on all threaded applications. It just sits there, so why not use something thick and waterproof? And if it is rated #2, then it's perfectly fine for all ball bearing applications as well.

glassfg 05-18-17 02:23 PM

I use lucas oil "red n tacky" from the autoparts store

kingston 05-18-17 02:33 PM

I pack bel-ray into a handy little Dualco grease dispenser. Highly recommend both the grease and dispenser.

veganbikes 05-18-17 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by scoho (Post 19591735)
The Krytox grease is obviously a joke, but, for less perspicacious readers who might take the other part of the comment seriously:

Inexpensive marine grease is not actually "cheap" or "crappy". It's excellent for use on bikes, and the only real drawbacks are that 1) it's messier, and makes contamination harder to spot, than something like this, and 2) it's probably thicker than you would want if you're racing and want to squeeze every last bit of performance out of high precision bearings in bottom brackets and hubs. Otherwise, I'm not aware of any genuine reason not to use it on bikes, and, in fact, it's not only inexpensive but probably better than most bike-specific greases in terms of sealing power and hardiness.

Why do you think I am joking? Did I write "LOL" or put a smiley or winking smiley face at the end! Stop being so poor and recommending the cheap stuff. If you are going to use cheapo marine grease would you also ride a Thruster? If you are doing that why even bother with grease.

Carcosa 05-19-17 09:22 AM

No one is paying $200 for 2 oz of grease unless the grease cooks you dinner, picks the right movie off Netflix (without two hours of looking) and kisses you sweetly on the taint.

briggery16 05-19-17 10:52 AM

Marine Grease from Walmart. You can get RJ the Bike Guys same grease gun from Amazon (I can't link yet)

Philasteve 05-19-17 12:43 PM

I always just use the Phil Wood grease for everything. The smaller tube always lasts me a really long time so I never questioned the price. But maybe I'll try that Marine stuff next time I need to buy some.

seau grateau 05-19-17 02:03 PM

I bought a tube of Park Tools grease 5+ years ago and I've barely made a dent in it.

REDMASTA 05-19-17 02:24 PM

I used to use the Park PPL1 grease on bottom brackets but now use the Park ASC1 anti-seize. It's not that messy and seems like it doesn't get washed out as easy over time, plus it helps prevent any galvanic corrosion. I also use it on pedal threads as well.

Leukybear 05-19-17 08:39 PM

I personally like Maxima grease, it's SRAM's choice of factory grease. It's blue! :)

SquidPuppet 05-19-17 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Leukybear (Post 19596799)
I personally like Maxima grease, it's SRAM's choice of factory grease. It's blue! :)

Might have to check this stuff out for my coaster hubs.

For use from -20°F (-29°C) to 560°F (293°C).
Is it a pretty blue, or an ugly industrial blue? I ask because it really really matters. :)

j_e_r_e_m_y 05-19-17 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 19591687)

Thanks for the recommendation! Just ordered a the last 4 tubes they had and I can't wait to see how much better my bike's gonna ride now that I'm not sullying it with peasant grease.

On a totally unrelated note, is it tacky to start a gofundme to cover your rent? Asking for a friend.

Leukybear 05-20-17 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet (Post 19596909)
Is it a pretty blue, or an ugly industrial blue? I ask because it really really matters. :)

It's a pretty blue when scooped out of the jar and viewed in light. If used thickly or over dark surfaces, it's an industrial blue.

Nevertheless, it's going to be applied to the nether regions of a bike anyhow. :rolleyes:

SquidPuppet 05-20-17 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Leukybear (Post 19596999)
It's a pretty blue when scooped out of the jar and viewed in light. If used thickly or over dark surfaces, it's an industrial blue.

Nevertheless, it's going to be applied to the nether regions of a bike anyhow. :rolleyes:

Hey don't roll your eyes at me. :) It might be hidden while in use, but I still have to look at it while I work with it. I was looking into Mobil One full synthetic because it's a rad Jolly Rancher Cherry Red, but the reviews say it sucks. I guess the lube separates from the carrier just sitting in the tub or gun on the shelf at room temperature after only a few months. Many many bad reviews.

scoho 05-21-17 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet (Post 19596909)

Totes. I just so happen to be servicing a bottom bracket today. (Failing, actually. There's something wrong that I can't figure out. :crash:) Is this the color you're looking for?

http://i.imgur.com/vS4S228.jpg