Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The braking system of a bicycle (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1258620)

I_like_e_bike 09-14-22 12:30 AM

The braking system of a bicycle

At present, the common braking system in the market is mostly divided into hydraulic braking and mechanical braking or other, what is the difference between them?

CliffordK 09-14-22 12:37 AM

Perhaps there would also be differences in disc vs rim brakes.

And rim brakes are divided into several styles.

Calipers, V-Brakes, Canti-Brakes, U-Brakes, Direct Mount, etc.

There have been attempts to make hydraulic rim brakes, but the technology has never taken off.

CliffordK 09-14-22 12:50 AM

Cable activated rim brakes are a very simple and mature technology, and work very well. They are also lightweight. But, they have downsides, in particular susceptible to grit, and rim wear. Also heating in certain conditions. Cable runs can also be problematic in some situations.

Hydraulic disc brakes seem to be preferable to mechanical cable activated disc brakes, I think due to responsiveness of the brakes. The hydraulic systems are also not constrained by tight angles, and can be run through the handlebar stem/headset, and around tight bends with internal routing.

PeteHski 09-14-22 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by I_like_e_bike (Post 22646556)
At present, the common braking system in the market is mostly divided into hydraulic braking and mechanical braking or other, what is the difference between them?

It's mostly divided between "disc" and "rim" brakes actually. They are all "mechanical" systems in the bigger picture.

wolfchild 09-14-22 03:16 AM

Hydraulic uses brake fluid or brake oil and mechanical uses a cable.

PeteHski 09-14-22 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 22646595)
Hydraulic uses brake fluid or brake oil and mechanical uses a cable.

But that's not where the current "big divide" is with bicycle braking systems. It's all about "Disc" vs "Rim" brakes, whether hydraulic or cable actuated. It just happens that most rim brakes are cable actuated and most higher-end disc brakes are hydraulic. They are all forms of a "mechanical system", so "hydraulic" vs "mechanical" braking is misleading. The 2 main braking systems of interest here are:-

1. Cable actuated rim brakes
2. Hydraulic actuated disc brakes

These ^ are what all the fuss is about.

The other forms are:-

3. Hydraulic actuated rim brakes
4. Cable actuated disc brakes

There is little current interest in the former and the latter is mostly low-end gear, with a few notable exceptions.

kcorfognik 09-14-22 03:40 AM

Don't forget drum brakes.

BobbyG 09-14-22 05:50 AM

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakes.html

JohnDThompson 09-14-22 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by kcorfognik (Post 22646602)
Don't forget drum brakes.

And coaster brakes. And rod-actuated rim and spoon brakes.

Reflector Guy 09-16-22 06:39 AM

And air brakes and electric brakes, but I doubt anyone has ever adopted either of them to a bicycle...

Reflector Guy 09-16-22 06:42 AM

Hydraulic brakes are just like the brakes in your car. It has fluid in it that puts pressure on the pads to make you stop. And if you ever disconnect the system for maintenance, repair etc. you'll have to bleed the air out of the system (same as on your car).

Koyote 09-16-22 06:58 AM

CheGiantForLife is back!

Reflector Guy 09-16-22 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22649038)

Awwww, man, and I even made a helpful post in the thread! I let my "trolldar" defenses down!

ironwood 09-16-22 01:56 PM

No one mentioned dragging one's foot.

Ghazmh 09-16-22 03:16 PM

Does letting aerodynamic drag bring you to a stop count? Technically your using a fluid to slow you down.

Mojo31 09-16-22 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by ironwood (Post 22649608)

Problem is with the cost of sneaks replacement pads will really run up the costs.

70sSanO 09-16-22 04:09 PM

I was under the impression that there would be no compare and contrast essay questions on BF tests.

John

Polaris OBark 09-16-22 04:31 PM

Eventually, someone would get around to it.

CliffordK 09-16-22 04:31 PM

What happened to the Fixie crowd...

NO BRAKES?

The Chemist 09-16-22 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by PeteHski (Post 22646599)
But that's not where the current "big divide" is with bicycle braking systems. It's all about "Disc" vs "Rim" brakes, whether hydraulic or cable actuated. It just happens that most rim brakes are cable actuated and most higher-end disc brakes are hydraulic. They are all forms of a "mechanical system", so "hydraulic" vs "mechanical" braking is misleading. The 2 main braking systems of interest here are:-

1. Cable actuated rim brakes
2. Hydraulic actuated disc brakes

These ^ are what all the fuss is about.

The other forms are:-

3. Hydraulic actuated rim brakes
4. Cable actuated disc brakes

There is little current interest in the former and the latter is mostly low-end gear, with a few notable exceptions.

There's also cable actuated hydraulic disc brakes, where the entire hydraulic system is contained within the brake caliper. Get many of the benefits of hydraulic brakes with the ease of setup of cable actuated brakes.

Fahrenheit531 09-16-22 06:52 PM

Breaks.

Moe Zhoost 09-19-22 02:50 PM

Yep, Flintstone brakes. I had them on my bike as a child.

livedarklions 09-20-22 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark (Post 22649818)
Eventually, someone would get around to it.

That joke took me a beat to get. Nice!

Pratt 09-21-22 03:23 PM

You betake to it!
And don't forget the simple crash, which all of us have used, but may not like to admit it.

ofajen 09-21-22 03:51 PM

Somewhere on the Rivbike website is an old photo showing a cyclist descending a hill whilst dragging a tree branch as a brake. Probably preferable to dragging a foot in some situations.

Otto