Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How fer did you ride today?! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1081695)

Sierra_rider 03-02-24 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23173050)
Damn. Was wondering how your were making out. Read there were winds in one area in the Sierras clocked at 180. Insanity. Good to have power and you back on the Rouvy

Wouldn't surprise me if that 180mph wind gust was recorded at the local ski resort. It never gets that crazy at my house, but that particular resort is in the top 10 list of highest wind gusts ever recorded. Depending on the source, they either had a 209 or 199mph wind gust a few years ago. Nearby to that also holds the record for thes deepest single season snowfall on earth.

I'm about 1/2 the elevation of those spots, so the weather extremes are much more mundane here. The worst apart about the wind here, is just worrying if trees are going to fall. I've cleared most of the tall trees that were leaning towards my house, but I still have a couple to go.Most of what's left are big enough to do a number on my roof, but probably aren't going to kill me in my sleep.

jaxgtr 03-02-24 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23172962)
No outdoor riding today, as this is looking out my front porch:
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ac02f9b836.jpg

There hasn't been nearly as much snow as predicted, although the blizzard warning lasts through tomorrow. The power did go out last night, killed my white-noise maker, so I could hear the wind and the creaking of 125' tall pine trees.

Came back on this morning, so I did a Rouvy ride on some of the "Strade Bianche" roads. In total, 27 miles and 3200' of climbing.

Yikes....It was almost 80 and very humid with all the rain in the area....

Sierra_rider 03-02-24 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 23173098)
Yikes....It was almost 80 and very humid with all the rain in the area....

The sun came out briefly and it hit a balmy 32F...back down to 30, overnight low was 27...so at least it's consistent. It's humid here too, 99%:lol:

rsbob 03-02-24 10:37 PM

26 fake ZWIFT rolling miles, with 10 all out sprint sections - (which I call intervals, since I get my heart rate back under 130 before the next all out effort). When I finished sprint 10 my power was so off, I called it a wrap. Rode most of the miles with an Ausie and we each would sprint each sprint section and then ride together until the next one. He had an additional 10 miles on me when I started riding with him. Certainly made it more entertaining. I won all the sprints, except one which I gave him for fun. BUT, he continued on riding when my hour was up - since I ran out of quarters.

In weather news, hail, rain-snow mix, light snow, then sun then hail and on and on. Not too conducive to riding outside when hail is pounding down.

ofajen 03-03-24 11:09 AM

23 hilly, windy miles yesterday. About 68 degrees F. Beautiful early spring-like weather. Upper 70s today, and Iím scheduled for a run at some point today.

Otto

rsbob 03-03-24 11:23 AM

Did it to myself again - restless night - but this time the hard workout was at 2-3 PM. Looks like I will have to reserve mornings for intense workouts. Blech.

Sierra_rider 03-03-24 04:23 PM

It's still a winter wonderland outside, or is it seasonal disenchantment? Anyway, I think we're closing in on 2' of snowfall this weekend...so, more inside riding.

Today was a couple of hours of Rouvy, I did the "Mirror lake highway" for a total of 29 virtual miles with 4400' of fake climbing.

jaxgtr 03-03-24 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23173933)
It's still a winter wonderland outside, or is it seasonal disenchantment? Anyway, I think we're closing in on 2' of snowfall this weekend...so, more inside riding.

Today was a couple of hours of Rouvy, I did the "Mirror lake highway" for a total of 29 virtual miles with 4400' of fake climbing.

I will have to look that one up. I signed up for the Spring Into Action Ardu challenge, 15 routes, most in the 20-30 mile range and 2-3k in climbing.

rsbob 03-03-24 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23173933)

4,400í is a lot of fakery in 29 miles.

Almost broke 40* today, so did 30 flatties with a pinch (Ď500í) of climbing. Only got rained on. Was anticipating hail and rain and snow mix - lucked out.

Sierra_rider 03-04-24 02:54 PM

Today's trainer session was finishing the "La Sal Loop Road" in virtual Utah. I've been using bits of this route already as a cool down, but I finally finished it today. I think it's around 25ish miles normally, but today was 17 miles and 2.7k' of trainer climbing.

I did this one at a very low intensity for me, as I'm thinking about incorporating a Zwift race into this week as an intensity session. I might not though, if I can find exactly what I want to virtually race and/or if it interferes with preparation for this week's very real XC racing.

Smaug1 03-04-24 09:38 PM

I rode 26 miles on Saturday with the local Coffee Riders group. We meet at one coffee shop, leaving at 8 AM, riding to another coffee shop 12 miles away, then having breakfast and chatting for an hour or two, then riding back. It's super fun, but the pace averages out to maybe 12 mph. I don't care. We have one 82 year-old guy who is slightly ashamed to be ignoring his gravel bike to have switched to an eBike. He's a retired Iowa farmer, so there's this background work ethic...

Yesterday, I met with the brunch group and rode 36 miles at a 15 mph average pace. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm the youngest of the three of us who showed up (7:30 AM departure contributes to that) by at least 25 years.

These guys are in their declining years, but I'm just now catching up to them. (they're 73, I'm 47)

13ollocks 03-04-24 10:16 PM

WFH, so took a few hours out for a solo. 39mi, 17.1 mph av, 2300 vertical feet. Bike now needs a clean 😟

Rmg360 03-04-24 11:48 PM

Typical commute to and from work is 8 miles, so 8!

jaxgtr 03-05-24 07:03 PM

Rain, rain, go away.... So 27 fake miles and 1600 ft of fake climbing, although the legs don't think it was fake.

Sierra_rider 03-06-24 12:08 AM

Semi-busy day at work, out cutting dead trees down in the forest and hiking all over in the mud and rain...so easy one for tonight. About 22 virtual miles with only around 1500' of fake miles.

Garthr 03-06-24 03:28 AM

Yesterday I rode a blissfully 28 miles in 60some degrees of warm sunshine here in Ohio. Summer bibs plus my new favorite short sleeve Sportful Fiandre Lite jersey/jacket and arm warmers. I felt terrific as I'm a summer heat lover. I've ridden three days in a row of this. Apparently, what really helped me ride outside like this has been riding rollers over the winter. I generally hate doing anything indoors, so I limited myself to about 30 minutes max every other day. Enough to feel the familiar cycling sensations, but not so much that it was tedious. (Otherwise I'm outside hiking). Plus the Sportcrafters brand of rollers with the resistance roller option is way more beneficial than I ever imagined it could be. I owned Krietler Challenger rollers for many years but I never really felt enough resistance that translated to stronger road riding. These rollers do ! In the same gear from rollers to road I feel like I'm shot out of a rocket. Most surprising was that I felt so good climbing any hill from my first ride outside. (I have lots of rollers here, some steep, like Belgian hills :)).

Sierra_rider 03-06-24 03:49 PM

2x20' intervals @ 340 watts on Zwift today. Not the best day to do these, as my legs didn't feel great at the beginning, but still got through them. Grand total of 11 miles and 4300' of fake climbing. I've been feeling a bit flat during hard efforts in recent races, l think I've built up this big aerobic base, but need to start upping the weekly intensity.

jaxgtr 03-06-24 08:51 PM

Rouvy for 24 miles and 1400 ft of incline

rsbob 03-07-24 10:51 AM

Taking an entire week off. The legs should feel:
a. Amazing
b. Like lead
c. Like legs
d. All of the the above
e. None of the above

Troul 03-07-24 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23177500)
a. Amazing
b. Like lead
c. Like legs
d. All of the the above
e. None of the above

or..

f. F (~phhh)
?

Smaug1 03-08-24 09:40 AM

I snuck in a 22-miler after work, just before dark yesterday.

Here's the skinny.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0a0c9b5f93.png

Yeah, I know. "Massive effort" but only 14 mph. I'm kinda fat, still. :rolleyes:

Smaug1 03-08-24 09:42 AM

a. Amazing
b. Like lead
c. Like legs
d. All of the the above
e. None of the above

a.

You'll be fully recovered and ready for your next challenge. (I suppose t hat's why you're taking a week off? ...or are you going on a vacation where there will be no cycling?

rsbob 03-08-24 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Smaug1 (Post 23178459)
a.

You'll be fully recovered and ready for your next challenge. (I suppose t hat's why you're taking a week off? ...or are you going on a vacation where there will be no cycling?

Vacation is the correct answer. Too busy to bike.

Troul 03-10-24 05:10 PM

Got in a few dozen of winter # 7 miles on the now 2x12 Gen III Domane. Not sure which I favor more, the Gen IV or the now 2x12 Gen III... might have to do something about the Gen IV to make it more betteriers.

Short & sweet for the 2x12 change; Was collecting parts for a while, then the brake issue happened. Instead of just replacing the faulty brake caliper, I reasoned the mission creep of parts change out solely based on the need to bleed the brakes. Figured this was an opportune time to move forward with the 2x12... it was going to happen sooner or later. also it needed new bar tape.

Sierra_rider 03-11-24 07:33 AM

a. Amazing
b. Like lead
c. Like legs
d. All of the the above
e. None of the above

Hopefully A for you...my week off is for yet another illness.:mad: After the snow from last week, it's been really nice weather here...even made it to 60 one day. The last cold I had, I just rode through it and was fine...this one was giving me the vibes that it was going to turn into a chest thing if I did that. I think I'm rounding the corner on it, but now have the joys of poor sleep because I'm not expending any extra energy. Anyway, that's all for my cry session.:lol:

WaveyGravey 03-11-24 04:42 PM

With the start of Daylight Savings Time, I'm trying to get back to my routine of 100 miles a week. So, I rode 20 miles today. Plan to do 30 miles tomorrow.

jaxgtr 03-11-24 06:31 PM

I hate when the boss is on vacation, I have to attend all her meetings and that just sucks. I ended up doing 33.7 miles and 3430 ft on Rouvy after a loss day of actual work.

rsbob 03-11-24 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider (Post 23181048)
Hopefully A for you...my week off is for yet another illness.:mad: After the snow from last week, it's been really nice weather here...even made it to 60 one day. The last cold I had, I just rode through it and was fine...this one was giving me the vibes that it was going to turn into a chest thing if I did that. I think I'm rounding the corner on it, but now have the joys of poor sleep because I'm not expending any extra energy. Anyway, that's all for my cry session.:lol:

That really sucks. Colds are bad, but losing fitness is worse. Letís hope it clears up quickly - and donít go out too soon.

jaxgtr 03-11-24 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 23180639)
Got in a few dozen of winter # 7 miles on the now 2x12 Gen III Domane. Not sure which I favor more, the Gen IV or the now 2x12 Gen III... might have to do something about the Gen IV to make it more betteriers.

Short & sweet for the 2x12 change; Was collecting parts for a while, then the brake issue happened. Instead of just replacing the faulty brake caliper, I reasoned the mission creep of parts change out solely based on the need to bleed the brakes. Figured this was an opportune time to move forward with the 2x12... it was going to happen sooner or later. also it needed new bar tape.

What setup do you have on your Gen 4?

Sierra_rider 03-11-24 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 23181728)
That really sucks. Colds are bad, but losing fitness is worse. Letís hope it clears up quickly - and donít go out too soon.

I might give the trainer a go tomorrow. It's crappy weather tomorrow, so it's not like I'd miss an outdoor ride anyway...regardless of weather, it's really easy to "bail out" from a virtual ride if it ain't goin' well.

The fitness part of the deal is frustrating me right now. My first "A" event of the year is coming up in 5-6 weeks. It's a 70ish mile XC mtb race, I need to keep doing at least a weekly long ride. Preferably, I'd like to do a couple of those long rides on the XC bike. I picked it up new for this season...while I think I have the fit pretty dialed in on it, I've yet to ride this particular bike for more than a couple hours.