Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

phrantic09 07-26-20 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21607348)

woof

phrantic09 07-26-20 05:07 AM

I can’t ride until this afternoon. It’s going to be 90 with winds out of the west at 13-15, will need to plan accordingly. We’re taking the girls to “kayak” this morning, which really means paddle half a mile and then watch them swim in the lake while I read a book.

We found out Friday one of our dogs may have cancer, taking her to a more technologically advanced practice than the farm vet we use now on Tuesday so hopefully we will have a better picture then. She’s lost about 10 pounds over the last few months with no parasites or any other cause-we’ve even upped her food intake. Bloodwork showed some issue with her liver but they couldn’t find anything in x-ray.

Bah Humbug 07-26-20 05:14 AM

Real miles or fake miles? The edge-of-hurricane rain was supposed to hit early morning and last all day (on and off) but is now slated to start at 10. I could get some distance, but...

I don't trust it not to drench me. Fake.

bampilot06 07-26-20 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21607362)
Real miles or fake miles? The edge-of-hurricane rain was supposed to hit early morning and last all day (on and off) but is now slated to start at 10. I could get some distance, but...

I don't trust it not to drench me. Fake.

bikes need baths too!

Bah Humbug 07-26-20 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21607363)
bikes need baths too!

#fairweathercycliist

I don't wash the bikes as much as I should, and REALLY don't like getting trapped out in the rain. The availability of the trainer, and especially a smart trainer, has made me soft in that regard; when I lived in Boulder I did group rides with hail bouncing off my helmet (and borderline painful on my arms) and when I lived in San Antonio there were group rides where we go stuck a few times needing to cross low water crossings with several inches of water. Now I'm like "rain on the forecast? Netflix!"

WhyFi 07-26-20 05:25 AM

Time for me to ride, too.

....too bad it's raining, and looks like it'll continue to do for a few hours, at least. If it's not still raining at lunch time, we have a back yard family thing to attend. Hopefully things will clear enough for me to squeeze in a short ride in the afternoon - I'm sitting at 199.4 miles for the week and not getting over 200 is going to bother me. :notamused:

bampilot06 07-26-20 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21607371)

....too bad it's raining, and looks like it'll continue to do for a few hours, at least. If it's not still raining at lunch time, we have a back yard family thing to attend. Hopefully things will clear enough for me to squeeze in a short ride in the afternoon - I'm sitting at 199.4 miles for the week and not getting over 200 is going to bother me. :notamused:

it’s a beautiful day down in the obx. Working on not riding and perfecting my skin tone, while catching a little wave action.

WhyFi 07-26-20 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21607374)
it’s a beautiful day down in the obx. Working on not riding and perfecting my skin tone, while catching a little wave action.

Slacker - what would your fitness/freshness chart say? :eek:

bampilot06 07-26-20 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21607384)
Slacker - what would your fitness/freshness chart say? :eek:

effort lower than normal.....

Bah Humbug 07-26-20 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21607371)

You could have handled that at the end of your last ride, like a true OCD. Do you not keep a tally in your head of where your total stands so you don't have situations like this?

Bah Humbug 07-26-20 05:52 AM

For the Wahooligans, if Garmin stays down into next weekend I'm picking one up. Is the Roam worth it over the Bolt, at full retail?

bampilot06 07-26-20 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21607393)
For the Wahooligans, if Garmin stays down into next weekend I'm picking one up. Is the Roam worth it over the Bolt, at full retail?

My question. What would be the point of this? Garmin will come back and be better security wise than before. Wahoo could get hacked months from now and be in the same situation.

WhyFi 07-26-20 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21607393)

For most, I would say "no." My understanding is that the primary differences are: color screen, mucho extendo battery life and more comprehensive routing capabilities. If you're one to do long rides in unfamiliar areas, then I would be more inclined to spend the extra money. I have aspirations of being that kind of rider, but I would still have a hard time coughing up the extra dough if I had to replace my Bolt.

rjones28 07-26-20 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21606534)
Ok I have a dumb question. Can you use butyl tube stick-on patches short-term on a latex tube? I have never flatter my summer wheels that have latex tubes, but the double flat concern has crossed my mind as I carry one spare tube and some peel/stick patches as backup.

Anyone know?

Patches are heavy.

WhyFi 07-26-20 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21607392)
You could have handled that at the end of your last ride, like a true OCD. Do you not keep a tally in your head of where your total stands so you don't have situations like this?

I knew my week-to-date mileage when I left the house, but not to the decimal point. On the ride, I was more concerned with hitting 100k and was pretty sure that any overage would push me past 200 miles. I was off by that much.

WhyFi 07-26-20 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21607387)
effort lower than normal.....

Oh, no no no no. It would say that your fitness is dropping off of a cliff and that it would take time and effort to claw your way back up. Scary. :twitchy:

rjones28 07-26-20 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21607330)
Google search took me to WeightWeenies forum (shocking, right?) and multiple posters there say that usual butyl patches CAN work on latex tubes. So I suppose I can try if/when I get a flat. Assuming, of course, I overcome my lazy mechanic tendencies and actually put my summer wheels on the bike.

According to Velo Vol , it's nearly winter. So, why bother.

rjones28 07-26-20 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21607348)

Looks like summer weather.

#YearWithoutSummer

bampilot06 07-26-20 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21607408)
Oh, no no no no. It would say that your fitness is dropping off of a cliff and that it would take time and effort to claw your way back up. Scary. :twitchy:

well in that case, I have no choice but to start a new sport. Cross country skiing seems appropriate.

WhyFi 07-26-20 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21607413)
well in that case, I have no choice but to start a new sport. Cross country skiing seems appropriate.

Wouldn't downhill be more appropriate? :innocent:

;)

How long are you on vacation with the fam?

bampilot06 07-26-20 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21607414)
Wouldn't downhill be more appropriate? :innocent:

;)

How long are you on vacation with the fam?

Touché

Til Monday, Then back to work. I should be able to sneak a couple of miles in before I leave. Just enough to see me name at the top for 12 hours or so.

Velo Vol 07-26-20 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21607411)
Looks like summer weather.

80F?

Hardly.

rjones28 07-26-20 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21607437)
80F?

Hardly.

Have you broken out the down parka yet?

MoAlpha 07-26-20 07:39 AM

Got a TSS of 46 for a 3-mile walk with L-SS this morning. In flip-flops. .

seedsbelize 07-26-20 07:43 AM

I will be riding a short stretch of gravel again this morning.

WhyFi 07-26-20 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21607522)
Got a TSS of 46 for a 3-mile walk with L-SS this morning. In flip-flops. .

:foo:

Related, I'm looking ahead and starting to get scared about what it's going to take to continue to keep my fatigue above my fitness. It used to be that, if I were going to ride every day, I needed to mosey on many of those rides so that I didn't get too deep in to the red. Now I'm starting to need moderately hard rides on my 'off' days just to keep from crossing the fatigue/fitness streams.

big john 07-26-20 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21607437)
80F?

Hardly.

Back up to 100 here by Friday.

Bah Humbug 07-26-20 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21607395)
My question. What would be the point of this? Garmin will come back and be better security wise than before. Wahoo could get hacked months from now and be in the same situation.

We don't know how long it will take Garmin to come back, nor what level of damage it will do to their long-term operations (how long for them to get back on-trend, development wise). My MO until now has been to record on my watch for all activities (keeps its notion of my fitness accurate) and the 520 is for visibility of data while riding and a backup in case my watch eats the ride. It is, however, a relatively old 520 that AG got as a refurb when one of hers had an issue and she bought another while they were processing the RMA. I have a vacation (staycation) next week and would like a fully-functional record of my rides, which is why I put the timeframe on it.

And yes, the day it happened I pointed out to AG that it probably hit Garmin by random or they were perceived as a better target. However, if I get a Wahoo and they're hit next year... I'll still have my Garmin equipment. It's diversification, not just jumping from one ecosystem to another.

Bah Humbug 07-26-20 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21607404)
For most, I would say "no." My understanding is that the primary differences are: color screen, mucho extendo battery life and more comprehensive routing capabilities. If you're one to do long rides in unfamiliar areas, then I would be more inclined to spend the extra money. I have aspirations of being that kind of rider, but I would still have a hard time coughing up the extra dough if I had to replace my Bolt.

Thanks; that was sort of my feeling but I'm glad to get more input. Plus, as I recall the Garmin mapping is better (when they work...) and I'd sooner get an 830 or 1030 if we started doing excursions past what I could plan for. Or just pull out my phone and figure out how to get back.

Bah Humbug 07-26-20 08:56 AM

And I don't know if the new house is less well-ventilated or I just notice it more by contrast to going outside, but I can definitely feel myself suffocating now by comparison to outside. That's with the house fan on, window open, and a pretty powerful fan pointed right at me. Might need a window fan when winter arrives and I'm doing this more regularly; it really limits the TSS I can do.