Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What kinds of grades do you guys climb? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1256609)

TakingMyTime 08-20-22 06:58 PM

I don't do enough hill training to get better at it. And I'm in no rush to get better at it. A 6% grade is almost tolerable but once it turns to 8% I'm hoping that the top of the hill is around the next turn.

Kapusta 08-21-22 10:02 AM

All depends on the gearing. For mountain biking, sustained grades of 10% or more are common as dirt, but with MTB gearing, its not considered steep.

On the other hand, 10% on a road bike with a 34/32 low gear is steep.

jnbrown 08-21-22 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22617189)
I rarely have ridden that far south. I have been up to Julian, nice ride. Do you climb that thing? How long is the steep part?

On that day we did not climb it, we went the opposite (easier) way on that road which had roller coaster hills with some in the 20%+ range.
I have climbed it on several occasions and it is by far the hardest hill I have been up.
It is about 1 mile long. It is not 26% the whole way but it is in some portions.
It is dangerous to even stop on because it feels like you are going to fall over if try to unclip and put your foot down and the road a nasty camber to it.

diphthong 08-21-22 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by jnbrown (Post 22616783)

los gatos is a beast.

terrymorse 08-21-22 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by jnbrown (Post 22617764)
It is dangerous to even stop on because it feels like you are going to fall over if try to unclip and put your foot down and the road a nasty camber to it.

There’s a trick to stopping and starting on a steep grade: either find a driveway to pull out in, or stop and start the bike facing perpendicular to the road. Mind the traffic, of course.

big john 08-21-22 01:37 PM

On that day we did not climb it, we went the opposite (easier) way on that road which had roller coaster hills with some in the 20%+ range.
I have climbed it on several occasions and it is by far the hardest hill I have been up.
It is about 1 mile long. It is not 26% the whole way but it is in some portions.

Yep. I feel the same about Balcom. I really don't like descending those things, either.

big john 08-21-22 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ooga-booga (Post 22617832)
los gatos is a beast.

I figured if anyone would know that road, it would be you.

t2p 08-21-22 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22618011)

I rode hills - you guys ride mountains

big john 08-21-22 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22618066)
I rode hills - you guys ride mountains

Not so much these days.

diphthong 08-21-22 08:46 PM

talk about scylla and charybdis...one direction is straight up, the other direction is the roller-coaster from hades.

totally agree with your assessment...personally rate it as the hardest, semi-quick climb in all of socal. fargo (and nearby) streets near dtown la get a little steeper (and shorter) but at least you can "paperboy"
up those since they're fairly wide...los gatos is narrow-no rescue driveways, no shoulders plus you get the local aggie trucks throughout the day so there's no magic hour to climb it. plus
it's got a southern exposure so it's guaranteed to be extra hot.

los gatos is the only hill in all of paved and public socal that i fear. even some of the nearby monsters on sandia creek rd and elsewhere in de luz are just a light appetizer comparatively.
it's been over a decade and i'm heavier but have better gearing and a lighter bike. thinking about giving it the old college try here in september. it ain't the easiest to get to either with
some leg-sapping climbs just to reach the base before the attempt. you can descend it from the north-which is easier climb wise-and then ascend but going down just psyches you out.
gotta make sure the will is up to date and the insurance is maxed out before the attempt tho. will be leaving the water bottles at the bottom of the hill.

there is a smallish area with some ridiculous longer 20% climbs called "dictionary hill" in the town of spring valley which is approx 9-10 miles east of dtown san diego. the streets are straight as an
arrow and the traffic is relatively low. looks like i'll be getting busy over there doing some prep. it's an easyish 30 min ride there from my place. the big, short climbs (which hit 28% max) near me in sd are too short
to replicate los gatos...need 20%+ and distance...think this will be the closest i can get w/o actually doing los gatos.

diphthong 08-21-22 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22618011)

would rather climb the 39 to dawson or gmr to the lifts with guaranteed hours of suffering vs the out of the saddle the entire way longest fifteen minutes of your life that is los gatos.

big john 08-21-22 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by ooga-booga (Post 22618458)
would rather climb the 39 to dawson or gmr to the lifts with guaranteed hours of suffering vs the out of the saddle the entire way longest fifteen minutes of your life that is los gatos.

Ahh...39
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...91619c38b3.jpg

diphthong 08-21-22 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22618480)

yah...that 39...in both directions.