Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

ls01 09-28-21 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22248533)
Hmm....I could have flunked out of med school and had a job at the LBS and be able to build my own wheels.

Oh well.

Hey, I didn't say it was a good plan..

genejockey 09-28-21 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22248730)
How much are the A23s compared to the H+ Hydras these days? A23s are fine, but I thought that the H+ (Archetype, back then) were well worth the extra 10 bucks each.

Of course, the H Y D R A wrapping around the rim may not be the aesthetic of choice for the build. :lol:

Hydras seem to be disc only. Maybe Archetypes? They're a little taller than the A23s, but I'd have to buy all new spokes, since the ERD is about 7mm less than the Aeroheads.

Mojo31 09-28-21 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22248724)
Yes. The rest is just fluff, I use a home made nipple driver (reported) and a home made dishing gage, for rears, and some use a tensiometer, but none of them are necessary.

MoAlpha

Do you still have a picture of that high class tensionometer from Anarchy? I wonder if it would be useful for wheel building.

datlas 09-28-21 12:51 PM

After more hand-wringing I ordered a set of basic wheels from Psimet. I suppose it makes sense to try to support a BikeForums Brother.

phrantic09 09-28-21 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22248767)
Excel sent out an email on the new Cervelo R5. Looks nice. Same geometry as the previous R5, but it'll take up to 34mm tires and it's got the internally routed cockpit.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4ecd9473fd.jpg

The $5k price for the frameset is a bit "ouch" though. :twitchy:

When they make an S5 that fits a 34...

sbxx1985 09-28-21 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22248836)
After more hand-wringing I ordered a set of basic wheels from Psimet. I suppose it makes sense to try to support a BikeForums Brother.

Good decision. His basic set was my wife's only set of wheels. Made it difficult to explain why I needed so many wheels.

sbxx1985 09-28-21 01:17 PM

Rob was also a sponsor of our team way back when. My psimet arms are still my favorite.

Fairwheel Bikes in AZ is another good one.

mvnsnd 09-28-21 01:37 PM

Excel sent out an email on the new Cervelo R5. Looks nice. Same geometry as the previous R5, but it'll take up to 34mm tires and it's got the internally routed cockpit.

Or a $12k cost for Red AXS. No Shimano groupsets :(
I do agree that the clean cockpit looks nice. And the frame seems light too.

datlas 09-28-21 01:58 PM

Interesting story. When we went to LA, we went to LACMA the LA County Museum of Art and mrs datlas was somewhat taken with the Matisse painting "Tea" a/k/a "Tea in the Garden," so she did an inspired painting of this style with me and daughter #1 at the table, and Jackie on the ground (instead of the dog). I will try to post a pic of her version.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a005fa1d4b.jpg

Velo Vol 09-28-21 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22248527)
We are not buying any Christmas goodies this year.

:(

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22248542)
I have 6 new pieces being delivered within the next two weeks.

:bday:

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22248724)
Yes. The rest is just fluff, I use a home made nipple driver (reported) and a home made dishing gage, for rears, and some use a tensiometer, but none of them are necessary.

You make it sound simple.

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22248761)
Doesn't match the picture.

Keep scrolling down the page.

WhyFi 09-28-21 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22248855)
When they make an S5 that fits a 34...

Yeah, I found it interesting that they went "allroad" with the tire clearance, which is the same 34mm as the Caledonia 5... I would have been fine with 30mm. ...but if they're willing to do that with a race thoroughbred like the R5, maybe doing so on the S5 isn't out of the question. :foo:

WhyFi 09-28-21 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by mvnsnd (Post 22248893)

They need to get in line for Shimano, I guess, behind the likes of titans like Trek and BikesDirect. :twitchy:

Velo Vol 09-28-21 02:20 PM

In the midst of my afternoon productive activities I had another flash of inspiration. We should have a contest to motivate people to ride. An East Coast versus West Coast challenge, on Strava.

What do you say?

WhyFi 09-28-21 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22248808)
Hydras seem to be disc only. Maybe Archetypes?

Yeah, that's right. I had Archetypes but then they moved to Hydra. I was thinking that the move was tubeless-related, but yeah, you're right - Hydra for disc.

WhyFi 09-28-21 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22248944)
In the midst of my afternoon productive activities I had another flash of inspiration. We should have a contest to motivate people to ride. An East Coast versus West Coast challenge, on Strava.

What do you say?

You don't want none of the Flyover folks. No sir - keep movin'.

genejockey 09-28-21 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22248944)

What do you say?

Wait, so that wouldn't include you then, right?

genejockey 09-28-21 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by mvnsnd (Post 22248893)

Oh, well, then. If I can't get the new Dura Ace on it, I just won't buy it at all!*

*not that I was going to, but it's the principle!**

**not actually the principle. I'm going for a cheap laugh.

Velo Vol 09-28-21 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22248949)
You don't want none of the Flyover folks. No sir - keep movin'.

The West Coasters will probably need you to help them.

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22248950)
Wait, so that wouldn't include you then, right?

I'm on the East Coast, obviously.

The Mississippi River could be a line of demarcation, but we'd need to see who's in to see that it's balanced.

genejockey 09-28-21 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22248962)
The West Coasters will probably need you to help them.

I'm on the East Coast, obviously.

The Mississippi River could be a line of demarcation, but we'd need to see who's in to see that it's balanced.

I distinctly remembering you saying you weren't.

IIRC, WhyFi lives in Minneapolis, which straddles the Mighty Mississip. Does he get to choose sides?

WhyFi 09-28-21 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22248962)
The Mississippi River could be a line of demarcation...

My ride today says that's going to be a problem.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f8ec179f16.jpg

Velo Vol 09-28-21 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22248967)
I distinctly remembering you saying you weren't.

IIRC, WhyFi lives in Minneapolis, which straddles the Mighty Mississip. Does he get to choose sides?

I've never said that. Once or twice I said I was a western or quasi-east coaster, because I'm on the edge. I'm in Eastern Time Zone.

So we have to see who wants counted in the contest, and then the people in the middle (e.g., Texas, Minnesota) get assigned so it looks pretty balanced.

Trsnrtr 09-28-21 02:45 PM

I showed that to my wife who would really like a new bike. In her case, it would be more like $8400. At first, she said, "WTF!" but about ten seconds later, she said, "I could handle that."

WhyFi 09-28-21 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22248979)
I showed that to my wife who would really like a new bike. In her case, it would be more like $8400. At first, she said, "WTF!" but about ten seconds later, she said, "I could handle that."

:love:

genejockey 09-28-21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22248976)
I've never said that. Once or twice I said I was a western or quasi-east coaster, because I'm on the edge. I'm in Eastern Time Zone.

So we have to see who wants counted in the contest, and then the people in the middle (e.g., Texas, Minnesota) get assigned so it looks pretty balanced.

You spent several posts attempting to demonstrate that the distance from you to any ocean was too large for you to be on ANY coast. Maps and all.

WRT 'assigning' people from the Central and Mountain time zones, maybe we should let them choose whose team they want to be on?

Trsnrtr 09-28-21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22248981)
:love:

The problem is, if she out-climbs me and drops my fat butt on a daily basis on her 7 year old Spec Amira with 30,000 miles, I'd never see her again on a new bike.