Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Totally Tubular (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=154679)

OLDYELLR 02-06-09 11:48 AM


Originally Posted by cb400bill (Post 8316668)
How does 25g compare to .25 liters? Isn't one a weight measurement and the other a volume measurement?

A cup is .25 litres and 25 grams would be less than an ounce. i.e. about 1/10th the amount. The metric system is so easy there is nothing to learn. :)

Road Fan 02-06-09 12:18 PM

The tin contains at least 10 times what one tube contains. I know because I have them both on my shelf.

You can't compare 25 g of something with 0.25 liters of something to see which is bigger, unless you also talk about the density (mass per unit of volume) of that something, in this case, glue.

Oldyellr, I wish what you said was true, I wouldn't have needed to go to school.

cb400bill 02-06-09 12:45 PM

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to order 3 of the tubes.

OLDYELLR 02-06-09 01:13 PM


Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 8316919)
You can't compare 25 g of something with 0.25 liters of something to see which is bigger, unless you also talk about the density (mass per unit of volume) of that something, in this case, glue.

Oldyellr, I wish what you said was true, I wouldn't have needed to go to school.

No, I was just approximating. While a millilitre of water weighs a gram, that much glue would be a bit less, maybe 0.7 grams.

In the metric system everything is very logical and orderly. (Doesn't the freezing point of water at 0 make more sense than 32 and the boiling point at 100 make more sense than 212?) I spent my youth learning there are 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 220 yards in a furlong and 8 furlongs in a mile. In the metric system all you need to know is the meaning of prefixes like micro, milli, kilo, etc. Of course, I often have to convert those back to English to quantify them. :(

Of course, you might also say, "A pint's a pound the world around". :D

Actually, we who work with bikes have been exposed to the metric system longer than the average joe on the street.

Road Fan 02-06-09 02:27 PM

Last time I bought a pint in London, UK it was about two pounds!

Road Fan 02-06-09 02:33 PM


Originally Posted by cb400bill (Post 8317116)
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to order 3 of the tubes.

Don't take my number of 10 to the bank! I'm sitting at work knowing my tin and tubes are on my basement shelf in the Bike Junk Room. I found the price per tire install to be much lower for the tin of Vittoria, even at LBS prices. I just don't remember all the details.

I'm the kind of engineer who remembers how everything works, but doesn't memorize the details, at least not after I need them. I also think the Vittoria tin had a mass printed on teh label as well. If not, use Oldyellr's number of 0.7 g/milliliter (the 0.25 liter tin holds 175 grams, which is 7 tubes at 25 grams per tube). So I'm even wrong about the 10.

cb400bill 02-06-09 03:26 PM


Originally Posted by USAZorro (Post 8316651)
Two of the 25g tubes would cover three tires - with a bit to spare. I still use 3M FasTack. I don't ride hard enough to roll a tire though. :o


Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 8317795)
Don't take my number of 10 to the bank! I'm sitting at work knowing my tin and tubes are on my basement shelf in the Bike Junk Room. I found the price per tire install to be much lower for the tin of Vittoria, even at LBS prices. I just don't remember all the details.

I'm the kind of engineer who remembers how everything works, but doesn't memorize the details, at least not after I need them. I also think the Vittoria tin had a mass printed on teh label as well. If not, use Oldyellr's number of 0.7 g/milliliter (the 0.25 liter tin holds 175 grams, which is 7 tubes at 25 grams per tube). So I'm even wrong about the 10.

USAZorro stated that two 25g tubes should be enough for 3 tires so I just added one more for insurance.

sciencemonster 02-06-09 06:34 PM


Originally Posted by USAZorro (Post 8316651)
Two of the 25g tubes would cover three tires - with a bit to spare. I still use 3M FasTack. I don't ride hard enough to roll a tire though. :o

Wow, that much glue? Really? Are you sure? I guess I better redo my wheels. I was getting the exact opposite - I did two tires with about 2/3 a tube of glue. Hasn't fallen off in a couple weeks...

I did my first tire with a little more than a 1/2 tube, and it squeezed out all over the place and made a giant mess. That's why I cut back.

JohnDThompson 02-06-09 09:27 PM


Originally Posted by cb400bill (Post 8316668)
I admit I am not great at the metric system.

How does 25g compare to .25 liters? Isn't one a weight measurement and the other a volume measurement?

Grams are mass, not weight. Liters are volume. Comparison is like apples and oranges unless there's more information. E.g. 0.25L of water at STP will have a mass of 250g, or 10 times the 25g in your exmple.

Road Fan 02-07-09 09:57 PM

I can end one argument, at least. I just looked at my tin of Vittoria and a tube of Conti. The tube is marked 25 grams, and the can of Vittoria is marked 250 grams. No volume conversions are required.

Old Fat Guy 02-07-09 10:02 PM


Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 8324459)
I can end one argument, at least. I just looked at my tin of Vittoria and a tube of Conti. The tube is marked 25 grams, and the can of Vittoria is marked 250 grams. No volume conversions are required.

How does that translate in American measurements? Like 5-1?

Road Fan 02-07-09 11:31 PM

10 to 1.

Old Fat Guy 02-08-09 08:29 AM


Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 8324870)
10 to 1.

That was my poor attempt at humor.

Road Fan 02-08-09 08:56 AM

It flew under my radar, sorry!

sekaijin 06-30-09 08:44 AM

Hi I know there is another tubulars thread running currently, but Im posting here to avoid further hijacking that thread.

A friend was kind enough to give me some NOS tubulars he has no use for some Vittoria Swallow Montello and a Vittoria Competition Formula Uno.

I have not found much of anything about them in a quick BF and web search (other than one BF member who had a bad experience with a Formula Uno tire).

Can anyone comment on these tires, from personal experience? Which are better tires, the Swallow Montello or the Competition Formula Uno? Any sense of where they fit in a Vittoria hierarchy?

Please, Im looking for feedback only on these particular tires, since I have some in hand. Thanks! :)

Road Fan 06-30-09 08:51 AM


Originally Posted by sekaijin (Post 9193686)
Hi I know there is another tubulars thread running currently, but Im posting here to avoid further hijacking that thread.

A friend was kind enough to give me some NOS tubulars he has no use for some Vittoria Swallow Montello and a Vittoria Competition Formula Uno.

I have not found much of anything about them in a quick BF and web search (other than one BF member who had a bad experience with a Formula Uno tire).

Can anyone comment on these tires, from personal experience? Which are better tires, the Swallow Montello or the Competition Formula Uno? Any sense of where they fit in a Vittoria hierarchy?

Please, Im looking for feedback only on these particular tires, since I have some in hand. Thanks! :)

Can't say I've heard of them, certainly not on Vittoria's current site. Are they marked "Made in Italy"? They could date back to those days. Maybe an inquiry on Classic Rendezvous? I know some of us here (me included) are on CR, but for me, I don't have more of a clue for you.

sekaijin 06-30-09 01:53 PM


Originally Posted by Road Fan (Post 9193727)
Are they marked "Made in Italy"?

Good thought.

Vittoria Competition Formula Uno: made in Thailand.

Vittoria Swallow Montello: no markings found except "HS 021" and "8605."

Only a guess, but my hunch is they are low-end to mid-range tires for my commuter. They have the classic gum walls and black herringbone treads. My impression is, higher-end tires often have smooth/slick treads, sometimes in colors.

J T CUNNINGHAM 06-30-09 11:36 PM

"Doesn't the freezing point of water at 0 make more sense than 32 and the boiling point at 100 make more sense than 212?" QUOTE.


Not really! ....... (LOL)


Regards,
J T

Ronsonic 07-01-09 12:43 AM

But "0" being way cold and "100" being too danged hot does make perfect sense.

soderbiker 07-01-09 01:59 PM


Originally Posted by Scooper (Post 1831779)
Ummm. Too many flats, too long for the glue to dry, too messy.

Solution: Clinchers and a patch kit.

Been there, done that.

not messy . never had a flat with tubulars and i havent had a mess

solution = Tufo Giro twix tubulars -
:)

sekaijin 07-01-09 11:16 PM


Originally Posted by sekaijin (Post 9193686)
A friend was kind enough to give me some NOS tubulars he has no use for some Vittoria Swallow Montello and a Vittoria Competition Formula Uno.

Vittoria Competition Formula Uno: made in Thailand.

Vittoria Swallow Montello: no markings found except "HS 021" and "8605."

Correction - the Swallow Montello tires are not Vittoria, just plain Swallow Montello.

sekaijin 07-02-09 06:23 AM

^^ Interesting tidbit of web research: Swallow was a brand name of a Korean bicycle tire manufacturer that became a supplier to a German bicycle tire exporter in 1973 ...

... and the origin of the Schwalbe brand name.

They must have kept the Swallow name in use for US distribution, because these tires are too new-looking to date from the early 70s. Unless the rubber and glue can stay supple for that long.

garage sale GT 11-01-09 09:25 PM

Have any of you guys ever tried using the 32mm, gray, diamond tread, cyclocross Vittorias on the street? I am wondering how they'd stick and if the compound would last.

I am fascinated by the higher volume tubulars but would like to avoid spending $150(!). I figure I'd run them at 75 psi or so.

Road Fan 04-02-10 04:20 PM


Originally Posted by garage sale GT (Post 9965784)
Have any of you guys ever tried using the 32mm, gray, diamond tread, cyclocross Vittorias on the street? I am wondering how they'd stick and if the compound would last.

I am fascinated by the higher volume tubulars but would like to avoid spending $150(!). I figure I'd run them at 75 psi or so.

I tried those this winter. I didn't get on any snow, but just in pavement riding, they are not a fast-feeling tire. At 85 psi (the marked upper limit) they are harsh, and at 60 they are totally sluggish, but soft. At 75 they were quicker and not quite so harsh, but still a bit tiring compared to my 28 mm Gatorskin clinchers. Plus, they have latex tubes, requiring a lot of attention to tire pressure.

gaucho777 04-02-10 11:03 PM

As for removing glue from rims, etc., I find Brasso (household metal polish available in many drugstores) works exceptionally well. Just apply to a rag and rub the glue off. Wipe away residue with a clean rag.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:06 AM.


Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.