Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

berner 04-09-20 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21408226)
Worked from home today due to my poor wife having a terrible muscle spasm in her back, and I wanted to make sure any help she needed was available.

Thankfully, she's doing a lot better. She finally has a functional range of movement after being basically immobile and bedridden. Really tough to see :(

One tip I can pass on garnered from a book by an MD on back problems is traction. I've suffered on and off for years with back issues, sometimes sever. Any movement that produces mild traction alleviated back pain. Lying on the floor with a cushion under the knees and slowly over a minute or two, relax into the floor. Sometimes I can feel a pop as vertebrae snap back into place. For quickie relief,, I bend over with hands on knees which also produces mild traction. I also see a chiropractor once a month as maintenence.

BillyD 04-09-20 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21408813)
excellent :thumb:

note the lack of caps and punctuation in keeping with the current theme

I can't do that. I feel bad making the nuns roll over in their graves like that.

Trsnrtr 04-09-20 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21408897)
I can't do that. I feel bad making the nuns roll over in their graves like that.

:lol:

bampilot06 04-09-20 08:21 AM

Just got off the phone with CC, there are 200 bikes ahead of mine to be built. It’s looking like 4 to 5 days before it’s built and then shipping will be another 7 days.
Patience is going to be tough.

Selling the CAAD on Monday. Was asking 250.00 but am only getting about 200.00 for it.

BillyD 04-09-20 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21408890)
$5 ready to eat.

:lol: Hard to fathom that a live chicken would cost more than a dead, cleaned and cooked one.

ls01 04-09-20 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Pirkaus (Post 21408666)
My SIL, a firefighter, has to quarantine for 2 weeks, 3 members of his company tested positive. He was already home with my daughter and 4 month old grandson, to say my wife and I are worried, does not begin to describe the feelings.
Please everyone, be careful and keep the distance.

Thinking good thought for them.

LAJ 04-09-20 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21408948)
Thinking good thought for them.

This. Hoping for positive outcomes.

big john 04-09-20 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21408885)
My neighbor has chickens. One day one of them found a hole in the fence and entered my yard, Venus spotted her and was in hot pursuit. If I hadn't rescued it . . . . .

I wonder how much a chicken costs to replace? I probably should find that out in advance.

There is a large peacock in our neighborhood, it's now the season for him to start screaming again. He'll do that until late summer, then all of his tail feathers will fall out. Sometimes he comes into our back yard and we give him water and a snack. My cat gets very jealous but they don't fight. We put out a bowl of water for the bird and the cat runs over and puts his paw in it. The cat gets in his face but the bird just backs away.
Mrs John was talking to the bird and trying to get a picture and the cat started rubbing against her legs and meowing.

One day we were in the front yard and the neighbor's obnoxious dog was barking at us through a 4 inch gap in the fence. Mrs John was trying to talk to the dog (Pomeranian?) and the cat walked over and slapped the dog so hard it ran away.

ls01 04-09-20 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21408885)
My neighbor has chickens. One day one of them found a hole in the fence and entered my yard, Venus spotted her and was in hot pursuit. If I hadn't rescued it . . . . .

I wonder how much a chicken costs to replace? I probably should find that out in advance.

Depends on the weight, they're like $2.oo a pound at my grocery store. Good eatin'

MoAlpha 04-09-20 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21408964)
Depends on the weight, they're like $2.oo a pound at my grocery store. Good eatin'

Just remember to use genuine Purdue chicken parts with your Purdue chicken.

Bah Humbug 04-09-20 09:04 AM

And while out on my morning run, I saw three roadies in a paceline. Maybe they were cohabitating, but what are the chances of three middle-aged cyclists in the same household pacelining?

MoAlpha 04-09-20 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 2manybikes (Post 21408863)
a jogger moving at about 2.5 miles per hour was likely to come into contact with the slipstream, and thus, the droplets, of someone exercising as much as 50 feet ahead.

The study suggests that runners and cyclists may want to avoid moving directly behind another person and falling into their slipstream, Blocken said, by moving side by side or by in a staggered formation.

The principle sounds right, but that's a plume with a hang time of 14 s and has to assume no breeze at all. It translates to a 410' plume for a cyclist traveling at 20 mph, but with a lower concentration of aerosol. That's just not something I can act on rationally.

indyfabz 04-09-20 09:18 AM

Departmental Zoom "happy hour" at 4. Wondering if I should appear with a beer.

MoAlpha 04-09-20 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21409011)
Departmental Zoom "happy hour" at 4. Wondering if I should appear with a beer.

Why wouldn't you?

Velo Vol 04-09-20 09:51 AM

And you all mocked with I did a one-hour time trial at the office park.

seedsbelize 04-09-20 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=berner;21408756]

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21408444)
I saw an Eastern Bluebird yesterday on my ride.

Absolutely made my day :)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fb2a9c1930.jpg

The Appalachian Mountain Club operates several back country lodges in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. They are less than 10 miles from the trailhead and very popular for families with children. At the Mizpah Hut, gray jays have become accustomed to hand feeding which I've done myself during a winter hike. It is totally charming to have a wild bird sitting in your hand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2RaR087Vbo

Been a birder all my life, and I don't know the gray Jay

seedsbelize 04-09-20 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21408767)
I’m just like the commercial where the guy with lederhosen finds out that he should be wearing a kilt after a DNA test. My paternal lineage and surname can be traced back to my German ancestor who arrived in Philly on the King of Prussia in 1775. My maternal grandfather’s lineage is as German as can be also. Logically, it would seem that I would identify as German, also.

My wife bought me DNA kits from two different companies a year ago and I found out from both sites that my heritage was nearly 70% from the British Isles.

I have genealogy from both of my parents and sure enough, there are a lot of English, Scottish, Welsh, and Irish wives in there.

One of my brothers totally relates to being German and was crushed. :lol:

We also identify as German/Pennsylvania Dutch. Having arrived in Philly in 1734 and 1743. My dad the genealogist once got wind that we might be descended from Hugenots. He was beside himself, having learned to dislike the French while stationed there during the war. It has since been disproven(by me, at least). I don't know if he ever found out.

LesterOfPuppets 04-09-20 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21408748)
The asterisk is a nice touch.

Doping scandal, ya know.

seedsbelize 04-09-20 10:29 AM

The water line has finally been connected and is working wonderfully. There were a couple things which needed to be slept upon is why it took so long to actually finish. The last little bit is put together without glue (no pressure), because I put it down and still can't find it, and during the final connection out at the street, I put a fitting down and it disappeared completely. I had to walk back to the house and find another in the stash. Thank the gods for that stash. There is still some cement work to do, where it spans the porch stairway and ramp.

MoAlpha 04-09-20 10:43 AM

Okay, guys. Here's where I admit what a total wuss of a nervous, incompetent, old man I am.

As some of you know, I recently acquired a super-nice set of wheels. They are about 1440g, 35mm deep and I have 25mm GP5000s mounted on them. They are noticeably faster than the decent set I was riding before, but I have one complaint. To wit, they scare the snot out of me descending on rough pavement and/or gusty winds. Yesterday, I had a big tailwind on the homeward leg and had a bunch of 30 mph stretches in the drops where I wondered whether I was going to be able to hold it together and stay out of a death wobble. Some of this was clearly mental and went away when I reset my position, shifted weight aft, and relaxed my arms, but I've never had it so bad with any other set of wheels. My inclination is to work on the mental part with progressive exposure, but I am also concerned about the risk. Any helpful suggestions? Anyone think 28s would help?

berner 04-09-20 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=seedsbelize;21409089]

Originally Posted by berner (Post 21408756)
Been a birder all my life, and I don't know the gray Jay

Around here they are also known as Canadian Jays or Gray Jays.

rjones28 04-09-20 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21408968)
Just remember to use genuine Purdue chicken parts with your Purdue chicken.

Eh, parts is parts.

rjones28 04-09-20 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21408989)
And while out on my morning run, I saw three roadies in a paceline. Maybe they were cohabitating, but what are the chances of three middle-aged cyclists in the same household pacelining?

Maybe they have a baby at home.

LesterOfPuppets 04-09-20 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21409154)
The water line has finally been connected and is working wonderfully. There were a couple things which needed to be slept upon is why it took so long to actually finish. The last little bit is put together without glue (no pressure), because I put it down and still can't find it, and during the final connection out at the street, I put a fitting down and it disappeared completely. I had to walk back to the house and find another in the stash. Thank the gods for that stash. There is still some cement work to do, where it spans the porch stairway and ramp.

Drinking water supply line?
I'm about to order materials for an underground sprinkler run in the front yard. Woohoo!

Bah Humbug 04-09-20 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21409174)
Okay, guys. Here's where I admit what a total wuss of a nervous, incompetent, old man I am.

As some of you know, I recently acquired a super-nice set of wheels. They are about 1440g, 35mm deep and I have 25mm GP5000s mounted on them. They are noticeably faster than the decent set I was riding before, but I have one complaint. To wit, they scare the snot out of me descending on rough pavement and/or gusty winds. Yesterday, I had a big tailwind on the homeward leg and had a bunch of 30 mph stretches in the drops where I wondered whether I was going to be able to hold it together and stay out of a death wobble. Some of this was clearly mental and went away when I reset my position, shifted weight aft, and relaxed my arms, but I've never had it so bad with any other set of wheels. My inclination is to work on the mental part with progressive exposure, but I am also concerned about the risk. Any helpful suggestions? Anyone think 28s would help?

It seems really odd that 35mm would be a handful in wind. How deep were your previous wheels?