Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

genejockey 09-26-21 06:29 PM

While picking up the Bianchi, I took along the back wheel from the Ritchey, which had gotten a bend one one side, maybe I hit a rock? I wanted to know if this was an easy fix. Diagnosis - worn out rim. The brake track was worn enough that the bead is starting to bend outwards. This is the second wheelset built on these hubs, and they're still pretty good, so I'm thinking it's time I learned to build wheels.

LAJ 09-26-21 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22246472)
While picking up the Bianchi, I took along the back wheel from the Ritchey, which had gotten a bend one one side, maybe I hit a rock? I wanted to know if this was an easy fix. Diagnosis - worn out rim. The brake track was worn enough that the bead is starting to bend outwards. This is the second wheelset built on these hubs, and they're still pretty good, so I'm thinking it's time I learned to build wheels.

Minoura Wheel Truing Stand | Wayfair

Park Tool Tm-1 Spoke Tension Meter | Jenson USA

Amazon.com : Park Tool Wag-4 Professional Wheel Alignment Gauge : Bike Hand Tools : Sports & Outdoors

MoAlpha 09-26-21 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22246448)
wut is sporty?

Plenty of breeze.

DougRNS 09-26-21 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22246401)
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bca8782d8a.jpg
Yes, they've won 16 in a row.
#Baseball

Note:
This is the longest streak in the NL since 1951.
Velo Vol

genejockey 09-26-21 07:11 PM

I've got the first, and the Minoura version of the last. Gotta get the middle one.

Luckily, years ago I grabbed a pair of Forte Titan wheels at Performance for not a lot of money, which I have not really used, so I'm not in a mad rush to build the new wheels.

LAJ 09-26-21 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22246525)
I've got the first, and the Minoura version of the last. Gotta get the middle one.

Luckily, years ago I grabbed a pair of Forte Titan wheels at Performance for not a lot of money, which I have not really used, so I'm not in a mad rush to build the new wheels.

You're almost home free then.

Velo Vol 09-26-21 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22246503)
Plenty of breeze.

Many of my rides are sporty.

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22246511)
Note:
This is the longest streak in the NL since 1951.
Velo Vol

Why did you tag me?

DougRNS 09-26-21 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22246550)

Why did you tag me?

Your love of baseball.

Velo Vol 09-26-21 07:31 PM

Who do you think would win a bowling game here? I bet big john bowled back in the day.

Mojo31 09-26-21 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22246417)
Went for a sail this afternoon. Conditions were sporty and we were sailing upwind pretty maxed out when I jumped off the coaming to tweak a line on the cabin top. I heard LSS shriek from the wheel and was wondering if the rig was coming down or a powerboat was about to ram us, when she finally found her words: Snake! And, by God, there was a snake in the cockpit. It quickly made its was through a drain hole and under the wheel pedestal and I couldn’t find it when we got to the slip. Looked like a regular garter snake-type thing. New one for me!

Snakes on the boat is not a good thing.

BITD when I was racing and during a regatta, a guy in our fleet found a water moccasin under his pedestal cover on Saturday morning. Then, after the first start, he had a MOB. After recovering the guy, he then found his hull taking on water. Retirement followed.

After that, I always checked under the pedestal cover first thing upon boarding.

genejockey 09-26-21 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22246578)
Snakes on the boat is not a good thing.

BITD when I was racing and during a regatta, a guy in our fleet found a water moccasin under his pedestal cover on Saturday morning. Then, after the first start, he had a MOB. After recovering the guy, he then found his hull taking on water. Retirement followed.

After that, I always checked under the pedestal cover first thing upon boarding.

But it give you a chance to go all Samuel L. Jackson! "I am tired of these monkeyfighting snakes on this monkeyfighting plane!"

genejockey 09-26-21 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22246528)
You're almost home free then.

Except for the rims, spokes, and nipples. And spoke prep.

I was pricing it out in my mind. It's gonna cost me at least $300 to build these. I can get a pair of Fulcrum Racing 4's for only $350 from PBK.

Mojo31 09-26-21 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22246550)

Why did you tag me?

But do your sporty rides involve waves? I bet Moalpha’s do.

LAJ 09-26-21 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22246417)
Went for a sail this afternoon. Conditions were sporty and we were sailing upwind pretty maxed out when I jumped off the coaming to tweak a line on the cabin top. I heard LSS shriek from the wheel and was wondering if the rig was coming down or a powerboat was about to ram us, when she finally found her words: Snake! And, by God, there was a snake in the cockpit. It quickly made its was through a drain hole and under the wheel pedestal and I couldn’t find it when we got to the slip. Looked like a regular garter snake-type thing. New one for me!

It's not the snake biting me that would bug me, it would be hurting myself from the surprise of finding a snake where I wouldn't expect it. I hate that stuff when it happens.

LAJ 09-26-21 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22246589)

I was pricing it out in my mind. It's gonna cost me at least $300 to build these. I can get a pair of Fulcrum Racing 4's for only $350 from PBK.

No sense in building a set of wheels then, when it's looked at like that.

Mojo31 09-26-21 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22246558)
Who do you think would win a bowling game here? I bet big john bowled back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFPJf-wKTd0

My bet is on you.

you own your own bowling shoes, don’t you?

Velo Vol 09-26-21 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22246590)
But do your sporty rides involve waves? I bet Moalpha’s do.

Rough pavements.

LAJ 09-26-21 07:59 PM

Last race of the season today. A hill climb. (hurl) 2828 feet elevation gain in 9.1 miles, 3 miles of it on dirt. Washboard, loose, open to traffic. It really sucked. 6th place, but I sure had to work for it.

sbxx1985 09-26-21 08:02 PM

Nice work, LAJ.

big john 09-26-21 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22246558)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFPJf-wKTd0

I bowled a handful of times. Never owned a ball or shoes, just used the stuff at the alley. I'd try it again under the right circumstances.
My father was the president of the local bowling league when I was a ute. I heard he was pretty good, at least until alcohol took over.

big john 09-26-21 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22246610)
Last race of the season today. A hill climb. (hurl) 2828 feet elevation gain in 9.1 miles, 3 miles of it on dirt. Washboard, loose, open to traffic. It really sucked. 6th place, but I sure had to work for it.

Road bike/tires?

Velo Vol 09-26-21 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22246603)
My bet is on you.

you own your own bowling shoes, don’t you?

Nope. Don't think I've been since my schooling days. Back then triple digits was a good game.

Now the joint in my middle finger is messed up, so I don't know if I could roll properly.

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22246610)

Checks out.

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22246618)
I bowled a handful of times. Never owned a ball or shoes, just used the stuff at the alley. I'd try it again under the right circumstances.
My father was the president of the local bowling league when I was a ute. I heard he was pretty good, at least until alcohol took over.

Oy. Well it is in your blood, kind of.

LAJ 09-26-21 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by sbxx1985 (Post 22246615)
Nice work, LAJ.

Thanks sbxx. I would rather do Evans than Sunshine. Flagstaff, Magnolia, Sugarloaf, the same. I keep trying it though. This off season I plan on riding it more. It seemed I was surprised after every turn at the grade coming up.

LAJ 09-26-21 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22246620)
Road bike/tires?

5000's 25mm I considered a 28 on the back, and figured phooey on it. It is what it is.

rjones28 09-26-21 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22246589)

I got rims, spokes, and nipples from BikeHubStore.com for my first wheel build. If you want bang-for-the-buck, check out Kinlin rims. I like mine.