Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

LAJ 10-28-21 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22287043)
Are you in that mess?

Yes. That's my camera. I had it under control, but slowed down too much and got body slammed from the rear.

Velo Vol 10-28-21 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22287034)
So you want to race critsI

Nope. And definitely not on a garbage road.

MoAlpha 10-28-21 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22286947)
My ex-wife was extremely coordinated, she competed in artistic roller skating as a ute, (figure skating on roller skates). I rode bikes with her for 11 years and the only time I ever saw her fall was when she hit some ice while we were riding through snow in the mountains. She was riding alone on the street one time and a car pulled close to her and a guy leaned out the rear window and slapped her butt so hard she still had a red handprint when she got home. She almost fell that time but saved it.

I got punched in the thigh once. Scared the dog **** out of me, but nothing happened.

Another time, I was run into the curb and four teens got out and started hitting me. Fortunately, another driver stopped.

datlas 10-28-21 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22287040)
I rode lots from 1976-1990. Then child-rearing occupied most of the next 10 years. Restarted a couple years later, got my midlife crisis bike in 2004 and rode lots more until Lyme struck in 2016.

Maybe I can resume one of these days.

Dooo eeet!

MoAlpha 10-28-21 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22287014)
Crashing is really the funnest part about cycling, as long as the bike still works after you pick it up and get back on it.

I have had a string of painful skeletal injuries, extensive skin donations, and a concussion that say otherwise.

MoAlpha 10-28-21 10:41 AM

Yet another reason to take the inside.

In sailing, you have to give room if the other boat establishes an inside overlap before you're within three boat lengths of the mark (usually a 180 degree turn). That would be useful for bike racing.

datlas 10-28-21 10:44 AM

Hey @MoAlpha I have a neuro case that is tough. 40-ish year old female who had cerical myelopathy with spinal cord compression s/p Fusion 2013. She did well for several years, but now has worrisome symptoms including episodes of SOB with "swallowing paralysis" where she feels she cannot swallow anything. I sent her back to neurosurgeon who said all is well. She has ongoing symptoms with major weight loss and inability to swallow well. An esophogram showed normal UES and LES but zero peristalsis in the esophagus.

I think it's a neuro problem and am guessing related to her previous surgery/cervical disease but maybe it's vagal dysfunction? I am really confused and patient is frustrated. She cannot get into a neurologist easily, has been trying for months. Ideas?

rjones28 10-28-21 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22286961)
I know clipless falls are common, but I don't think I have ever had one....

About 10 years ago, I got stuck at slow speed on a sandy section of the road, and my massive quads caused the rear wheel to totally spin out, and I had a 0.5 MPH tip-over crash which I could not clip out of. That's the closest I ever came to a clipliss fall, but I don't know if that qualifies. :foo:

Sand is tricky.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c74c7346c9.jpg

Mojo31 10-28-21 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22287071)
I got punched in the thigh once. Scared the dog **** out of me, but nothing happened.

Another time, I was run into the curb and four teens got out and started hitting me. Fortunately, another driver stopped.

On the road, I carry a small canister of Halt in my jersey pocket. Works on more than dogs.

LesterOfPuppets 10-28-21 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22287093)

Bring the fat bike next time, float right over that

rjones28 10-28-21 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22287009)
I always felt like we have much in common with motorcyclists but occasionally one of them will act like a bozo around us.

Many of my cycling friends are also motorcyclists.

big john 10-28-21 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22287046)
Yes. That's my camera. I had it under control, but slowed down too much and got body slammed from the rear.

Sorry

datlas 10-28-21 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22287098)
Bring the fat bike next time, float right over that at 3MPH

fixed

Velo Vol 10-28-21 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22287093)
Sand is tricky.

That's why you don't ride on it.

big john 10-28-21 10:59 AM

It seems you've had the worst luck of anyone in this thread.
A few of my clubmates were riding along and an idiot got out of his car and started swinging a cane at them. Unfortunately for him, one of the riders is a martial arts expert who is good enough to have records in the Guinness Book. He neutralized and subdued the attacker until the cops showed up. My favorite cyclist vs idiot story.

LesterOfPuppets 10-28-21 11:02 AM

Sand is an excellent substrate for crashing

Eric F 10-28-21 11:04 AM

Ouch.

My one and only crit crash was my last year of racing (2004). My front wheel slid out on a turn in the last couple laps of a State Champ race. I managed to take out a teammate, but he used my body as a soft place to land. No structural damage, but I lost some skin.

Earlier that year, I was second wheel going into turn 1 on the last lap of a crit, and the first guy lost traction and slid hard into the curb, directly in front of my wife, daughter, MIL, and SIL. They were horrified, and so distracted that they didn't see me win the race.

MoAlpha 10-28-21 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22287091)
Hey @MoAlpha I have a neuro case that is tough. 40-ish year old female who had cerical myelopathy with spinal cord compression s/p Fusion 2013. She did well for several years, but now has worrisome symptoms including episodes of SOB with "swallowing paralysis" where she feels she cannot swallow anything. I sent her back to neurosurgeon who said all is well. She has ongoing symptoms with major weight loss and inability to swallow well. An esophogram showed normal UES and LES but zero peristalsis in the esophagus.

I think it's a neuro problem and am guessing related to her previous surgery/cervical disease but maybe it's vagal dysfunction? I am really confused and patient is frustrated. She cannot get into a neurologist easily, has been trying for months. Ideas?

That's interesting and unfortunate, as they say.

From what little I remember, this is a common problem with no clearly established cause. I just looked at a review and it confirmed that and said female sex, advanced age, and multiple level surgery were risks. I would look for the swallowing therapist in the area and make it her/his problem.

I have a cervical compressive myelopathy and a fusion and can't swallow worth ****, myself, but we think it's due to the back of one of the prosthetic discs protruding into my esophagus. My surgeon told me if I were "better nourished" there would be fat back there and it wouldn't be a problem.

Velo Vol 10-28-21 11:07 AM

Another time, I was run into the curb and four teens got out and started hitting me.

What did you do to them that caused such a response?

MoAlpha 10-28-21 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22287095)
On the road, I carry a small canister of Halt in my jersey pocket. Works on more than dogs.

After that one, I started carrying pepper spray, but eventually figured I was more of a danger to myself with it.

MoAlpha 10-28-21 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22287125)
What did you do to them that caused such a response?

I rode a bicycle in the dark on a public street, as remember.

datlas 10-28-21 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22287124)
That's interesting and unfortunate, as they say.

From what little I remember, this is a common problem with no clearly established cause. I just looked at a review and it confirmed that and said female sex, advanced age, and multiple level surgery were risks. I would look for the swallowing therapist in the area and make it her/his problem.

I have a cervical compressive myelopathy and a fusion and can't swallow worth ****, myself, but we think it's due to the back of one of the prosthetic discs protruding into my esophagus. My surgeon told me if I were "better nourished" there would be fat back there and it wouldn't be a problem.

This is a pretty serious case. She might need a PEG tube if she can't improve. She also has episodes of accelerated heart rate so I am thinking her Vagus nerve is messed up. But she needs a smarter doctor than me. Her GI doctor sent her to rheum to evaluate for scleroderma due to the esophageal findings. I told them it's a neuro problem but obviously I don't know anything. Sad!

MoAlpha 10-28-21 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22287130)
This is a pretty serious case. She might need a PEG tube if she can't improve. She also has episodes of accelerated heart rate so I am thinking her Vagus nerve is messed up. But she needs a smarter doctor than me. Her GI doctor sent her to rheum to evaluate for scleroderma due to the esophageal findings. I told them it's a neuro problem but obviously I don't know anything. Sad!

I would assume any nerve issues related to surgery would present immediately. There are ascending brainstem presentations of neurodegenerative diseases, e.g., Parkinson (Lewy body pathology), which can present with dysphagia/achalasia. It's too bad you can't get a neurologist to take a critical look at her.

Velo Vol 10-28-21 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22287128)
I rode a bicycle in the dark on a public street, as remember.

Troublemaker.

WhyFi 10-28-21 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by moalpha (Post 22287071)
i got punched in the thigh once. Scared the dog **** out of me, but nothing happened.

Another time, i was run into the curb and four teens got out and started hitting me. Fortunately, another driver stopped.

wtf.