Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

LAJ 03-13-22 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22438025)
My brother had a 01 Forester and my mother had an 08 so I've known about the head gasket thing for a while. I also know that it's pretty critical to replace the timing belt around 100k and while you're in there it's best to replace some accessory components that are easy to get to since the engine has to be pulled.

I never ended up buying one for myself because every one for sale had over 100k and none of that work done, but priced like you wouldn't need to put $3k into it just to keep the pistons from getting cozy with the valves at any moment. Which is what happened to my mother's.

Yep. Timing belts, idlers, et al were part of the maintenance package in those things. The DOHC ones were a fine treat, because if you didn't hold the cams on the drivers side, they would rotate, and the valves would hit each other. Bear in mind, these were in the same head, and they would cause a light load cruise misfire. That was a treat to find the first one. After that, it was a walk in the park, but not so much good news for the customer.

big john 03-13-22 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22437992)
Will do. I debated whether to get struts or just another van :)

If this van lasts 'til 220000 before the lower intake manifold goes or the transmission croaks, I'll be happy I went with the new struts.

The manifold is a giant pain but it's just labor. You have to catch it at the first sign of coolant in the oil, or do it preemptively.

I actually paid a guy to do it on my Blazer. I also paid a guy to do the heads on Mrs John's 3.1 Buick. I did part of it but I don't have time for that. Well, I didn't then.

genejockey 03-13-22 09:55 PM

Meh.
Wordle 267 5/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Velo Vol 03-13-22 10:21 PM

Updates From The Actual North

#GoldenSnowball

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3c9a07af46.jpg

#GoldenBasketball

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...daf48935e3.png

LesterOfPuppets 03-13-22 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22438104)
Updates From The Actual North
#GoldenBasketball

I hope you've been staying on your side of the state and avoiding any altercations with camels.

https://www.abc15.com/news/national/...o-sheriff-says

LesterOfPuppets 03-13-22 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22437611)
Confession:

I've been binge listening to Steely Dan lately. I've always liked them but unlike some other artists I've never binged them.
:foo:

I've been listening to a lot of Bonnie Raitt, I swear 1972 to 2012 her voice just got better. Just now noticed she had a 2016 release, so playing that now.

My favorite from her 2012 record: (such a good version of an awesome song)

bampilot06 03-14-22 03:38 AM

Trying to get home now, and then will going to the doctor. The pain in my abdomen is getting worse, but iím really at a loss of what it could be. Appendicitis is really the only thing that fits, but iím not doubled over, I donít have a fever, and the pain started in my lower back and moved forward not at my belly button.
Any of the docs here have any ideas? Just want some idea of what to expect I guess.

Heres the weird part. Last week my buddy that I cycle with, his wife was admitted to the hospital for something very similar. Pain was in the same general area, doctors couldnít find anything but kept her in the hospital overnight. She went home the next day but then her heart rate increased and her legs and arms started to go numb. Went back to the hospital and was then diagnosed with a UTI.

Personally I have never had a UTI but I canít imagine it feels like this.

ls01 03-14-22 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22437886)
Can't be about money.

It can always be about money. #tomuchneverenough

ls01 03-14-22 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22438208)
Trying to get home now, and then will going to the doctor. The pain in my abdomen is getting worse, but iím really at a loss of what it could be. Appendicitis is really the only thing that fits, but iím not doubled over, I donít have a fever, and the pain started in my lower back and moved forward not at my belly button.
Any of the docs here have any ideas? Just want some idea of what to expect I guess.

Heres the weird part. Last week my buddy that I cycle with, his wife was admitted to the hospital for something very similar. Pain was in the same general area, doctors couldnít find anything but kept her in the hospital overnight. She went home the next day but then her heart rate increased and her legs and arms started to go numb. Went back to the hospital and was then diagnosed with a UTI.

Makes me think of kidney stone.

I am not ,nor do I play Dr. On t.v.

bampilot06 03-14-22 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22438212)

Dont wish that black magic on my Ricky Bobby!

ls01 03-14-22 04:07 AM

So, I put the 2009 Tarmac back together. 10 speed Sram red. It has the correct wheel clearance to run the 25 mm wide tubeless wheels I built up. It has full size road gearing on it, a 53 up front. But what the hey.
I've had this thought in my head about selling off the '16 Tarmacs group set, and replacing it with red22 or etap like I have on Contador. Now that I think about it, it has to have an e groupset. And cable pulled disk. Or maybe just selling it off complete and building up another bike with less compromises. I think I'd get beat up over the price though.

ls01 03-14-22 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22438216)
Dont wish that black magic on my Ricky Bobby!

I wouldn't, been there done that, no bueno.

bampilot06 03-14-22 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22438220)
I wouldn't, been there done that, no bueno.

How many days did it take for the pain to build to the max?

DougRNS 03-14-22 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22438139)
I've been listening to a lot of Bonnie Raitt, I swear 1972 to 2012 her voice just got better. Just now noticed she had a 2016 release, so playing that now.

My favorite from her 2012 record: (such a good version of an awesome song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T_aMNbXVdA

I like both and she makes it her own.
#AllAlongTheWatchtower

indyfabz 03-14-22 05:14 AM

Itís my destiny to be average.

Wordle 268 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟨🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

indyfabz 03-14-22 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22438210)
It can always be about money. #tomuchneverenough

datlas 03-14-22 05:22 AM

Good morning Velo Vol !

ls01 03-14-22 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22438225)
How many days did it take for the pain to build to the max?

it was 5 days of just discomfort, nothing I could place, then agony for about 6 hours till I went to the hospital.

datlas 03-14-22 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22438208)

Too many possibilities. You need someone to go over details in person and also do a good physical exam. Hope it's diagnosed/resolved soon.

datlas 03-14-22 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22438253)

Wordle 268 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟨🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Same for me today.

ofajen 03-14-22 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22438253)

Wordle 268 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟨🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I play to usually get it in four or sometimes five but this day happened to be unusual.

Wordle 268 3/6

🟩⬛⬛⬛🟨
⬛⬛🟨⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Otto

Mojo31 03-14-22 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22438212)

Yep. I'm a doctor, but not a medical doctor. Just saying based on personal experiences.

Lots of water. Drink till you burst, and push that beech out.

Or, see a medical professional.

Mojo31 03-14-22 06:32 AM

Average.

Wordle 268 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟨🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

abshipp 03-14-22 06:48 AM

Its weird having so much time in the morning. Spouse started their new job today and left the house around 6:15.

I've done a bunch of stretching, cleaned up, made breakfast, drank loads of coffee, and still have another 30 minutes before I need to head to work.

datlas 03-14-22 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22438319)
Its weird having so much time in the morning. Spouse started their new job today and left the house around 6:15.

I've done a bunch of stretching, cleaned up, made breakfast, drank loads of coffee, and still have another 30 minutes before I need to head to work.