Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Olympics (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1235894)

Baby Puke 08-02-21 02:53 AM

Olympics

So I don't see a magic super wheel from Zipp on the Aussies. Front disc looks like it's still the thing (not surprised).

Minion1 08-02-21 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 22167197)
So I don't see a magic super wheel from Zipp on the Aussies. Front disc looks like it's still the thing (not surprised).

Was it a sprint wheel or an endurance wheel? Aus don't have a women's team sprint team, we might see it on the mens sprint bikes which are still to come. I missed todays session, my daughter hates watching bikes on tv for some reason but will try and catch some highlights somewhere.

Morelock 08-02-21 08:18 AM

The Aussies had a rough day today in the TP... Women exploded (but after Germany putting up that time, you had to go out hard, especially starting in the position they did) and the men having that freak mechanical.

topflightpro 08-02-21 10:18 AM

And the Danes are using "aero" tape on their shins. (I wonder how much that would help me? I'll have to try it out.)

Morelock 08-02-21 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by topflightpro (Post 22167711)
And the Danes are using "aero" tape on their shins. (I wonder how much that would help me? I'll have to try it out.)

Smart...
Aerocoach used to sell little strips you strategically placed on your lower leg before they made socks/overshoes (they wouldn't actually sell them to me in the US though - I think they've grown out of that)

I would love to know how it was explained to the Comm at the Olympics that they all needed KT Tape in that area.

bicievino 08-02-21 03:04 PM

So many teams had a rider pull off from position 2 near the last lap that it has me wondering if there could be some tactical reason for it.

colnago62 08-02-21 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by bicievino (Post 22168233)
So many teams had a rider pull off from position 2 near the last lap that it has me wondering if there could be some tactical reason for it.

If referring to the woman’s team pursuit, It was mentioned that the German’s time was so fast that it forced everybody push their original pace.

Morelock 08-02-21 03:19 PM

yeah, that time the Germans set was so fast it put a lot of pressure on everyone (especially if on paper the US and GB would be faster - and they went last) to try to make sure they qualified. Probably threw everyone's original schedule all to hell.

Baby Puke 08-02-21 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Minion1 (Post 22167229)
Was it a sprint wheel or an endurance wheel? Aus don't have a women's team sprint team, we might see it on the mens sprint bikes which are still to come. I missed todays session, my daughter hates watching bikes on tv for some reason but will try and catch some highlights somewhere.

This was TP. They also had a integrated stem spontaneously break during their TP round. Some may be regretting the switch from BT about now I'm guessing...

Also Zipp has been saying for a while that their 808 is faster than a front disc. I've yet to see that backed up in international competition. Curious to see what they bring out for the sprint rounds.

bicievino 08-02-21 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by colnago62 (Post 22168252)
If referring to the woman’s team pursuit, It was mentioned that the German’s time was so fast that it forced everybody push their original pace.

In the men's teams, the Italians and Kiwis did it, too.

But yeah, guess it could just as easily be because folks were seriously not able to follow behind one insane diesel.

Minion1 08-02-21 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Baby Puke (Post 22168371)
This was TP. They also had a integrated stem spontaneously break during their TP round. Some may be regretting the switch from BT about now I'm guessing...

Also Zipp has been saying for a while that their 808 is faster than a front disc. I've yet to see that backed up in international competition. Curious to see what they bring out for the sprint rounds.

From skim reading this article there's a seperate fork for the pursuit and sprint bikes for the different wheels, so we might see the 5 spoke with the wider fork for the sprinters.

You're not the first person to mention BT, I would have been interested what they could have come up with, had they had the investment from CA and the Universities that developed the Argon. It's sad that BT has been neglected by Cycling Australia, while Scott Bikes has bought Avanti, so that looks like the end of Avanti's investment in track bikes.

colnago62 08-02-21 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Minion1 (Post 22168566)
From skim reading this article there's a seperate fork for the pursuit and sprint bikes for the different wheels, so we might see the 5 spoke with the wider fork for the sprinters.

You're not the first person to mention BT, I would have been interested what they could have come up with, had they had the investment from CA and the Universities that developed the Argon. It's sad that BT has been neglected by Cycling Australia, while Scott Bikes has bought Avanti, so that looks like the end of Avanti's investment in track bikes.

Argon was quick to post that it was not their bars on the bike that broke.

carleton 08-02-21 10:31 PM

Anyone got pics of any bikes/kit?

colnago62 08-02-21 11:21 PM

I Found This

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...64631b10a.jpeg

Baby Puke 08-03-21 01:27 AM

No sponges!

Baby Puke 08-03-21 01:56 AM

This is the NHK link if any of you can get it, showing all the heats.

https://sports.nhk.or.jp/olympic/hig...-9c779ad11273/

topflightpro 08-03-21 07:40 AM

It was a Bastion 3-D printed titanium bar that snapped. It's painted to match the bikes. It was reported awhile ago that Australia had partnered with Bastion to custom build several components, and there's a video going around some other social media sites showing Bastion making the bars.

And yes, the new super Argon that the Aussies are on has two different forks - a narrow one and a normal width for sprinting. The new ones are only thru-axle compatible, and TA compatible track wheels are pretty much non-existent beyond national teams. I'm guessing some of the teams may have traditional forks ends to run their normal wheels. I say this having seen a pic of Kelsey Mitchell warming up on what appeared to be a new Super Argon frame but with what looked like an older IO, though it was not a perfect pic for identifying gear.

colnago62 08-03-21 03:02 PM

GB Is Out Of Medal Contention

https://www.velonews.com/events/olym...-team-pursuit/

Baby Puke 08-04-21 06:38 AM

Aus sprinters riding some kind of unmarked tri-spoke front. Zipp website only lists the Aus track disc, doesn't specify front or rear, so I'd guess both. Zipp not making this trip-spoke then? No 808.

topflightpro 08-04-21 10:05 AM

I believe it is an FSA tri-spoke wheel that is designed to fit the Argon TA fork.

Per Argon's site: Note limited wheelset compatibility (100mm x 12mm thru-axle): Campagnolo (full disc), Corima (spoke) or FSA 3 spokes (only available through Argon 18)

burnthesheep 08-04-21 12:19 PM

Track delivering for cycling this year. Much drama, much speed, such wow. If you haven't watch any of the heats for team pursuit, mens or womens, or the men's final...........do it now. Gooooood stuff. No spoilers. Just wow.

Also loving the under saddle (I'm guessing) camera views for the rider behind. Those pain faces for pursuit are something special versus a longer TT, man those must hurt. Especially in the medal round races.

Baby Puke 08-04-21 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by burnthesheep (Post 22170723)
Track delivering for cycling this year. Much drama, much speed, such wow. If you haven't watch any of the heats for team pursuit, mens or womens, or the men's final...........do it now. Gooooood stuff. No spoilers. Just wow.

Indeed! Men's sprint qualifying NOBODY was out of the 9 second range, stunning. Dutch on a rampage so far.Men's pursuit final- holy ****. And WR's dropping everywhere, and I was not expecting Izu to be a particularly fast track, maybe they worked some magic on it during the revamp?

AmahlAmahlAmahl 08-04-21 05:51 PM

Why did Matthew Glaetzer pull out of Individual Sprint? Is he hurt?

brawlo 08-05-21 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by AmahlAmahlAmahl (Post 22171170)
Why did Matthew Glaetzer pull out of Individual Sprint? Is he hurt?

Oz commentary said he had stomach pains after the TS. Hopefully he is back on deck for the keirin

Baby Puke 08-05-21 03:18 AM

Sam Welsford riding the same tri-spoke in the Omnium.