Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   In Praise of Fenders (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=489421)

datlas 11-25-08 09:23 AM

In Praise of Fenders

I had a very wet commute home last night....medium amount of rain and temps around 40F. The roads were all covered in water.

Luckily I had (finally) finished installing the fenders on my SS commuter...and the ride home was actually pleasant. It was late, about 8:30PM, so there was minimal traffic. I took my time, especially on corners....and luckily had a waterproof jacket and booties on....so I was fairly dry and comfy. The experience was actually relaxing and refreshing, almost zenlike.

If I did not have my fenders, I know I would have been a miserable wet mess.

cyclefreaksix 11-25-08 09:38 AM

I used to find fenders ugly looking and vowed to never run 'em on my bike. One long very wet and cold slog home changed my mind very quickly.

rugerben 11-25-08 09:52 AM

I LOVE fenders. One of my prerequisites for a bike that I might actually ride in rain is that I can mount fenders on it. PB's, SKS's, whatever. So long as they fit and work, it makes me happy.

Here in CT, it's a miserable wet, sloshy day today. I rode to school this morning, even across a VERY rain soaked field. Water was going everywhere... except up on me. I'm pretty dry.
I love my fenders. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Thomas Brock 11-25-08 09:55 AM

I'm saving up (I know, it's pathetic) for a set of fenders on my Trek 7.3FX.

I haven't had much problems riding in rainy/wet conditions, but I'm excited about the "keeping crud off my drivetrain" protection.

CliftonGK1 11-25-08 09:59 AM

I leave my fenders on all year. It was funny, because during STP it was blazing sun and in the upper 90s, and I'm cranking along with my fenders on. A guy from one of the eastern WA clubs was joking with me and said "it's sure a good thing you've got those fenders on there today", and I told him it was to protect my tires from sun damage. I'm not sure if he thought I was serious or not. :p

Sixty Fiver 11-25-08 10:04 AM

At our shop I meet a lot of Europeans who often say they don't understand why bikes here don't come with fenders and chain guards... like them I find them to be essential on a commuter or utilitarian bike.

In most cases I find that fenders complete the look of a bike.

pathdoc 11-25-08 10:13 AM

I absolutely must have fenders on my commuter. Can't always predict the weather.

FredOak 11-25-08 10:33 AM

My MTB (winter bike) has them with mud flaps and the other (non-winter) has the smaller ones to keep at least from getting soaked.

I think they are a must in the colder weather to cut down on the feet and/or booties from getting so soaked...and to cut down somewhat on the abuse the poor drive train takes.

vaticdart 11-25-08 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 (Post 7914787)
I leave my fenders on all year. It was funny, because during STP it was blazing sun and in the upper 90s, and I'm cranking along with my fenders on. A guy from one of the eastern WA clubs was joking with me and said "it's sure a good thing you've got those fenders on there today", and I told him it was to protect my tires from sun damage. I'm not sure if he thought I was serious or not. :p

Next time just tell him the fenders reduce the drag of your rear wheel.

modernjess 11-25-08 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 7914572)
I was fairly dry and comfy. The experience was actually relaxing and refreshing, almost zenlike.

If I did not have my fenders, I know I would have been a miserable wet mess.

True - after a few rides like that and you could never imagine taking them off.

Foofy 11-25-08 11:44 AM

On wet rides, whether or not you have fenders can make the difference between your ride being loads of fun, or stressful.

shouldberiding 11-25-08 12:02 PM

I love my PB Cascadias, and I think they look great on my bike!

vaticdart 11-25-08 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by shouldberiding (Post 7915552)

My ex's silver and black 2007 Giant OCR3 looks spectacular with the PB Cascadias I installed on there at the beginning of the summer.

Thomas Brock 11-25-08 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by shouldberiding (Post 7915552)

Will the Cascadia's work on my 7.3FX with disc brakes? Any problems installing them?

Catgrrl70 11-25-08 01:03 PM

:roflmao2:

amit_shah25 11-25-08 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 7914811)
At our shop I meet a lot of Europeans who often say they don't understand why bikes here don't come with fenders and chain guards... like them I find them to be essential on a commuter or utilitarian bike.

In most cases I find that fenders complete the look of a bike.

I agree. To me, a bike without fender and chain guard almost looks "naked" !!

CliftonGK1 11-25-08 03:07 PM

With how the weather is shaping up around here today, I'm glad to have full fenders and long mudflaps.

noteon 11-25-08 03:12 PM

I hate fenders, but not as much as I hate mud and road gunk up my back.

Can't wait until the bike can get back into its summer wardrobe, though...

wirehead 11-25-08 03:13 PM

After my first ride in the rain, the fenders became very important. Oily water in the face SUCKS! :D

mattm 11-25-08 03:15 PM

+1 for fenders, honjos especially

noteon 11-25-08 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by mattm (Post 7916758)
+1 for fenders, honjos especially

OK, let me clarify my hatred.

If I could get Honjos for my 20" wheels, I'd love fenders.

But I can't.

So I don't.

barturtle 11-25-08 03:29 PM

My newest bike wasn't coming home from the store without a set of fenders. So now my 08 Jamis Coda is wearing it Planet Bike Full Hybrids. I think it looks much better with them...add in my rain cape and I'm all set.

weavers 11-25-08 03:59 PM

i recently got a pair of full metal fenders for free. only problem is that they have no attachment. i got some wire, like from a metal wire fence, and am in the process of trying to fit them to eyelet or quick release and the fender itself. its a time consuming project.

for the next few days i'll be using cheap zip tie plastic mtb fenders. partial coverage, its ok for me, but makes the bike a huge mess, still its a quick and easy laundery saver.

ok_commuter 11-25-08 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by weavers (Post 7917095)
i recently got a pair of full metal fenders for free. only problem is that they have no attachment. i got some wire, like from a metal wire fence, and am in the process of trying to fit them to eyelet or quick release and the fender itself. its a time consuming project.

for the next few days i'll be using cheap zip tie plastic mtb fenders. partial coverage, its ok for me, but makes the bike a huge mess, still its a quick and easy laundery saver.

http://velo-orange.com/fepaandha.html

sharkey00 11-25-08 06:11 PM

I had mine off for a whole month around that time. About a week before the STP and a few after. I really had a hard time taking them off though. It is hard to believe there is any 48 hour period where it won't rain. As I recall I went so far as to take them to the start line, just in case....