Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

phrantic09 09-02-22 11:30 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22633793)
What do you want to know? Weíve had two.

12í is too narrow. Iíd try to get to at least 18í in that dimension. Our first was narrow like that, and we were always afraid that kids jumping in from the side would hit the other side. They came close a few times.

We paid $65k in 2008 for our current, but itís about 21í x 33í, and has a lot of decking.

Is it gunnite? Fiberglass?

we donít really have room for much bigger given the layout of our yard. The pool walls have to be at least 15 feet from any property line.

Mojo31 09-02-22 11:35 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22633801)
Is it gunnite? Fiberglass?

we donít really have room for much bigger given the layout of our yard. The pool walls have to be at least 15 feet from any property line.

Gunnite. Wouldnít do fiberglass.

We also have chlorine sanitizing. Our builder talked us out of salt water.

We had similar size constraints at our last house. I would still do the pool with that constraint, just need to watch kids jumping in.

big john 09-02-22 11:40 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22633543)
Hey, I just posted this in the mechanics forum. Anyone here have ideas?

I have standard, modern, Shimano "cups" threaded into a titanium shell on my commuting bike. All parts are relatively new. Since installation, the BB has gotten creaky every few months and responded to torquing back to spec, but no longer. I tried a heavy application of blue thread locker and then about three wraps of PTFE tape (cups still screwed in easily) when that didn't work. The tape helped, but didn't fix it.

What should I try now, more tape? Is there anything else?

Can you duplicate the noise in the shop? Try turning the bike upside down, put the pedals in the horizontal position and lean on them with both hands. Rotate the crank 180 degrees and try again.
Does it creak when out of the saddle? Saddle and seatpost creaks can try to frame the bb.

fwiw when my bb creaked on my old Shimano 6600 i just slathered everything with grease and it's quiet since then. I've never put threadlocker on a bb cup but I do use a little on the bolts holding the rings.

phrantic09 09-02-22 11:41 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22633810)
Gunnite. Wouldnít do fiberglass.

We also have chlorine sanitizing. Our builder talked us out of salt water.

We had similar size constraints at our last house. I would still do the pool with that constraint, just need to watch kids jumping in.

Vinyl is the best option here, which is also least expensive. Iíve heard good and bad on salt, seems to be more care free, but worse for the pool overall. We need a heater, which isnít that expensive surprisingly and already have gas run about 10 feet from where the mechanicals will be.

Iím tempted to do a lot myself- have access to an excavator and someone to do the digging, mostly just need the actual pool built, then we can handle back fill and concrete decking subcontracted out. Problem is none of the builders here really allow that.

big john 09-02-22 11:43 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22633704)
Anyone here a pool expert? Weíre shopping around for a 12x24 in-ground and have received quotes from 30 to 100 for what seems to be the same package. I donít even know what to ask.

I think that's what EricF does for a living.

genejockey 09-02-22 11:46 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22633796)
I suppose it depends on manufacturer, aesthetics, etc, but copper isn't cheap these days.

These are very much the older French style, heavy, thick copper with the cast iron handle riveted on with big copper rivets. The lids have stick handles, rather than loops.

I may have found a place in San Francisco for retinning, so that's a relief. They're so heavy, I can only imagine what shipping would cost!

Mojo31 09-02-22 11:50 AM

I agree, Eric would be the best knowledge base.

Salt water corrodes a lot of materials. For example, we have flagstone coping around the perimeter, and salt water just dissolves it. The builder also said the electronic salt converters don’t last long and are expensive.

genejockey 09-02-22 11:50 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22633815)
Can you duplicate the noise in the shop? Try turning the bike upside down, put the pedals in the horizontal position and lean on them with both hands. Rotate the crank 180 degrees and try again.
Does it creak when out of the saddle? Saddle and seatpost creaks can try to frame the bb.

fwiw when my bb creaked on my old Shimano 6600 i just slathered everything with grease and it's quiet since then. I've never put threadlocker on a bb cup but I do use a little on the bolts holding the rings.

I determined that the creak I was hearing last Sunday on the Canyon was the seatpost - or at least NOT the BB - by standing up and pedaling and the sound didn't return.

OTOH, the *tick* I heard on the old Lotus didn't go away with standing, and it turned out to be chainring bolts.

Eric F 09-02-22 12:26 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22633819)
I think that's what EricF does for a living.

Yes, and no. My company builds large competition pools like you would find at a high school or university. We don't do hotels or apartments, and we made the mistake of attempting residential work a few times. Homeowners are the worst people to work for (generally speaking). For the most part, any project less than $1M probably is too small for us. Most of our projects are in the $2-3M range.

That said, with any contractor you're thinking about hiring, verify that they have a valid/current contractors license, and preferably a specialty license for swimming pools. Ask for a list of references of previous clients, and make the effort to contact them. It's totally okay to ask the contractor why their price is higher or lower than their competitor. If you don't get an answer that makes sense or seems like BS, that's a warning sign. A competent, experienced contractor should be able to explain to you exactly what's different, in language you can understand. Anticipate that there will be changes that happen during construction (unforseen issues, etc), and have about 10% of the contract amount available for those issues. An unfounded assumption - the lowest price is probably cutting corners you don't want cut, and the highest price is probably being a little greedy.

genejockey 09-02-22 12:34 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22633857)
Yes, and no. My company builds large competition pools like you would find at a high school or university. We don't do hotels or apartments, and we made the mistake of attempting residential work a few times. Homeowners are the worst people to work for (generally speaking). For the most part, any project less than $1M probably is too small for us. Most of our projects are in the $2-3M range.

That said, with any contractor you're thinking about hiring, verify that they have a valid/current contractors license, and preferably a specialty license for swimming pools. Ask for a list of references of previous clients, and make the effort to contact them. It's totally okay to ask the contractor why their price is higher or lower than their competitor. If you don't get an answer that makes sense or seems like BS, that's a warning sign. A competent, experienced contractor should be able to explain to you exactly what's different, in language you can understand. Anticipate that there will be changes that happen during construction (unforseen issues, etc), and have about 10% of the contract amount available for those issues. An unfounded assumption - the lowest price is probably cutting corners you don't want cut, and the highest price is probably being a little greedy.

So, I shouldn't hire the Bobz Discount Poolz, just because they tossed a flyer in a baggie with a rock on my lawn?

Eric F 09-02-22 12:37 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22633863)
So, I shouldn't hire the Bobz Discount Poolz, just because they tossed a flyer in a baggie with a rock on my lawn?

Maybe. Maybe not. Folks good at building stuff aren't necessarily good at marketing....or spelling.

I'm the office/paperwork guy because that's my best skillset. My partner is our construction superintendent because that's what he's good at. We would do equally mediocre trying to do each other's jobs.

Mojo31 09-02-22 12:41 PM

Eric hit the nail on the head regarding bids.

In the construction industry, we talk about the lowest qualified bidder, not the lowest bidder.

MoAlpha 09-02-22 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22633815)
Can you duplicate the noise in the shop? Try turning the bike upside down, put the pedals in the horizontal position and lean on them with both hands. Rotate the crank 180 degrees and try again.
Does it creak when out of the saddle? Saddle and seatpost creaks can try to frame the bb.

fwiw when my bb creaked on my old Shimano 6600 i just slathered everything with grease and it's quiet since then. I've never put threadlocker on a bb cup but I do use a little on the bolts holding the rings.

Definitely a BB noise with a grind I can even feel in the feet. Another few wraps of tape seems to have fixed it, at least for now. The pinch bolts on the crank were nice and greasy.

rjones28 09-02-22 01:26 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22633597)
In other news, I destroyed one of my beautiful bamboo fenders this morning and I can't justify the replacement cost. Anyone have plastic fenders they love?

Love is a strong word for plastic fenders. But, I have a set of Planet Bike full coverage fenders that have worked well for me.

datlas 09-02-22 01:43 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22633930)
Love is a strong word for plastic fenders. But, I have a set of Planet Bike full coverage fenders that have worked well for me.

Yeah, love should be reserved for plastic cars, not fenders.

#saturn

Eric F 09-02-22 01:53 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22633871)
Eric hit the nail on the head regarding bids.

In the construction industry, we talk about the lowest qualified bidder, not the lowest bidder.

Absolutely. Swimming pools are a specialty trade. Verifying that your contractor has successful experience with the work you are asking them to perform is an important step.

rjones28 09-02-22 01:53 PM

Single track pic of the day.

https://dgtzuqphqg23d.cloudfront.net...-2048x2048.jpg

MoAlpha 09-02-22 02:17 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22633930)
Love is a strong word for plastic fenders. But, I have a set of Planet Bike full coverage fenders that have worked well for me.

Thanks. Leaning in that direction.

rjones28 09-02-22 05:34 PM

Mrs. rjones28 wants to start doing some indoor training this winter, so we need another trainer. Turns out there is a glut of smart trainers.

Got a great deal on an H3, so Mrs. rjones28 will inherit the M2.


https://www.rei.com/media/1e923889-1...9?size=784x588

bampilot06 09-02-22 06:32 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22633591)
Fine start to the day. Pulled my back and now laying on an ice pack.

Million dollar question - what am I going to do for three hours Sunday afternoon while my wife hosts a baby shower with thirty women attending?


This Sunday, or Next Sunday? If itís next Sunday, I can come by and you can watch me ride your bike.

bampilot06 09-02-22 06:39 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...97ec3a27e.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...02c9bb36d.jpeg


Found this little guy in my yard today. Never seen a lizard like this before. I actually thought it was a baby snake at first.

seedsbelize2 09-02-22 06:42 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22633591)
Fine start to the day. Pulled my back and now laying on an ice pack.

Million dollar question - what am I going to do for three hours Sunday afternoon while my wife hosts a baby shower with thirty women attending?

GTFO of the house! Do you have a favorite bar, to watch the game?

Mojo31 09-02-22 06:52 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22634255)
This Sunday, or Next Sunday? If itís next Sunday, I can come by and you can watch me ride your bike.

This Sunday.

After reading about your escapades, I may not ever let you ride my bike!

Trsnrtr 09-02-22 06:54 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22633511)
Did you see the little thumb pump travel espresso thingie that Hoffmann reviewed? Actually, he has a video with four (IIRC) travel espresso... solutions... but the little thumb pump one seemed the most interesting.

[edit: bike-related content - one of them is essentially a modified bike pump]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT5Rz3QV74g

i haven’t had time to look at the video; been busy. I did read some reviews somewhere about the pico gizmo and people didn’t seem impressed.

Mojo31 09-02-22 06:57 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22634267)
GTFO of the house! o you have a favorite bar, to watch the game?

No bars around here. This is the Bible Belt, after all. At least not in the sense of the neighborhood bars that are common further north.

I can barely walk right now. Went to dinner, and had to have my wife bring the car around to pick me up after. I am a hurtin MF right now.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.