Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fatbikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=336)
-   -   Looking for a frame that: (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1236280)

CrimsonEclipse 08-08-21 02:28 AM

Looking for a frame that:

I am looking for a frame (or complete bike) that:

Must haves:
Has through axles front fork and rear
Supports 26x4.8
Supports 203mm disks
13-15" frame size (14-15 preferred)

Nice to have:
Steel preferred but Aluminum ok
Black preferred (but i'll paint it if necessary)

Every time I search, the only ones available are chinese made carbon fiber.... and, I'm not up for that.

hokiefyd 08-09-21 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse (Post 22175485)
Supports 203mm disks

By this, do you mean "can run 203mm brake rotors", or "manufacturer says specifically I'm free and clear to run 203mm brake rotors"? I think most fat bikes will support that size, even if the manufacturer doesn't offer it as a factory option or state specifically that they'll fit. I've had 203mm rotors on my 2014 Pugsley before. The Surly Ice Cream truck in SM size might fit your needs, depending on how "official" you want that 203mm brake rotor support to be.

ClydeClydeson 08-09-21 07:59 AM

If you insist on steel, then Surly might be the best option. They were a very early player in the fat bike market and their bikes are high quality.

The only button that isn't clicked from your list is they only have a model with F Thru-axle (Ice Cream Truck), and all are traditional QR on the rear.

CrimsonEclipse 08-09-21 06:05 PM

I thought the ICT had a rear through axle, but now it's back to QR
QR has no place in the fat tire world. Maybe it's just me.

hokiefyd 08-10-21 05:35 AM

The current page for the Ice Cream Truck states that it has thru-axles front and rear:

Fat Bike Frame | Largest Tire Clearance for Bike | Ice Cream Truck | Surly Bikes

It may be worth a call to their tech department to ask if that page is accurate.

CrimsonEclipse 08-10-21 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by hokiefyd (Post 22178284)
The current page for the Ice Cream Truck states that it has thru-axles front and rear:

Fat Bike Frame | Largest Tire Clearance for Bike | Ice Cream Truck | Surly Bikes

It may be worth a call to their tech department to ask if that page is accurate.

Yeah, looking a little closer, the rear technically IS thru axle but it's still a 'fork' for the 2 people that will set it up 'fixie'

and... oh god the color. Remember when Surly had dark and earthy colors instead of 'Baby Vomit Green' ?

DangerousDanR 08-11-21 10:00 AM

Considered a custom? Here is one builder who may be able to help you.

Fat | Capitol Bicycles

I found this guy when I was looking and considering a custom steel bike and wound up with an ICAN carbon frame (yes, Chinese ) that weighed less and cost less, but doesn't have the panache of a steel custom.

There are lots of custom builders who can make you exactly what you want. Another one who comes to mind is

https://curtlo.com/our-bikes/fat-bikes/

a fellow on the group road ride yesterday had a Curtlo, so it is at the tip of my memory...

prj71 08-11-21 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse (Post 22175485)
I am looking for a frame (or complete bike) that:

Must haves:
Has through axles front fork and rear
Supports 26x4.8
Supports 203mm disks
13-15" frame size (14-15 preferred)

Nice to have:
Steel preferred but Aluminum ok
Black preferred (but i'll paint it if necessary)

Every time I search, the only ones available are chinese made carbon fiber.... and, I'm not up for that.

All of the fat bikes from the major manufactures tick your box except for the Steel. Go Surly if you want steel. The rest will offer an aluminum and carbon version or aluminum only version.

CrimsonEclipse 08-12-21 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by prj71 (Post 22180494)
All of the fat bikes from the major manufactures tick your box except for the Steel. Go Surly if you want steel. The rest will offer an aluminum and carbon version or aluminum only version.

Looks like it.
Surly uses the "universal" dropouts again.

Thanks

KPREN 08-22-21 07:18 AM

Depends on whether you need a maintenance insurance policy (good warranty) or not. I bought a Bikes Direct Titanium Fatbike that ticks all you boxes except its titanium. The Titanium bikes had a better geometry. Mine is converted to electric and I am running the 203mm rotors. I have 14,000 miles on mine. Not sure on availability right now. that's likely to be an issue but the used market is there.
I have ridden a few of their steel frame fat bikes and they did not handle the same.

Surly is about the only manufacturer out there with a steel frame that would tick your boxes.