Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What Is Dinging a Rim? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244234)

danallen 12-26-21 03:49 PM

What Is Dinging a Rim?

I just encountered the phrase, "Dinging a rim." Is it just another way "of damaging a rim"

Any information you can provide will be appreciated a lot. Thank you

2_i 12-26-21 03:57 PM

The synonym in this context is "to dent". It is a localized damage that can, e.g., occur when the rim hits a curb.

cyccommute 12-26-21 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by danallen (Post 22352210)
I just encountered the phrase, "Dinging a rim." Is it just another way "of damaging a rim"

Any information you can provide will be appreciated a lot. Thank you

Yes. Some also call it “blipping a rim” because of what you feel in the brakes when using a rim brake. The causes of a ding or blip or dent (take your pick) can be many. Most of them have to do with underinflation for the impacts the wheel encounters. It’s very common to see blipped tubeless rims in mountain bikes because they are running such ridiculously low pressures.

Seattle Forrest 12-26-21 06:32 PM

Very different from ringing a din! 😳

tyrion 12-26-21 06:39 PM

Small dent that probably doesn't ruin it.

Trsnrtr 12-27-21 07:57 AM

Moving to mechanics forum.

Iride01 12-27-21 08:51 AM

Next up.... plinking your spokes!

Andrew R Stewart 12-27-21 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22352722)
Next up.... plinking your spokes!

I pluck spokes, I don't shoot them (as in plinking). Andy

Iride01 12-27-21 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart (Post 22352733)

Hmm.... probably regional. Maybe very local to me only. I've always said plinking because that's the sound they made when plucked. If the sound was more of a plunk, then I'd tighten them. Perhaps back then I was tensioning them too much. I had a spoke wrench and knew absolutely nothing about wheel building. I suppose those were my dangerous days. <grin>

Crankycrank 12-27-21 09:37 AM

Dinging is just a vague word for many things. Doesn't tell you much when someone says, "my rim is dinged, how do I fix it". Kind of like getting "popped" in the head. Could be a playful slap in the back of the head from a spouse or a brain crushing knockout punch from Mike Tyson. I predict at least 2 pages for this thread. :bang:

nomadmax 12-27-21 10:34 AM

"Ding" is the word sellers use when trying to sell something that has a DENT or is completely trashed. Similar to "Ran when parked" (35 years ago).

sweeks 12-27-21 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart (Post 22352733)

Does anyone (besides me) "tap" the spokes with something like a plastic screwdriver handle? Saves my fingernails! :innocent:

cyccommute 12-27-21 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by sweeks (Post 22353139)
Does anyone (besides me) "tap" the spokes with something like a plastic screwdriver handle? Saves my fingernails! :innocent:

Yup. Use a spoke wrench. It’s already in my hand.