Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Northeast (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   Lenox, MA things to do? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1136398)

rumrunn6 02-21-18 01:06 PM

Lenox, MA - things to do?

heading there Friday morning for an overnight w Wifey. we have no plans. any suggestions?

etw 02-23-18 06:27 PM

You can check out the Norman Rockwell museum and the Hancock Shaker Village, which are both in the area.

Jim from Boston 02-23-18 07:36 PM

Lenox MA things to do?

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 20182515)
heading there Friday morning for an overnight w Wifey. we have no plans. any suggestions?

Hi rr6,

Is bicycling part of your itinerary? Many years ago my wife and I went to the Berkshires and did some cycling, as part of a weekend with friends at Tanglewood. So I don’t know much about local sights though I think the Mass Museum of Contemporary Art moved out to North Adams.

I was particularly prompted to post a reply though, about the pastime of a week-end getaway. I recall you posted about Martha’s Vineyard (link) for a summer vacation.

I enjoyed this thread on the Touring Forum, “I'm taking off on another 2 day trip tomorrow” from a subscriber in the San Francisco area, about weekend getaways, where he bikes to and from the destination, and meets his wife there. I then elaborated about the possibilities here in Metro Boston.

Originally Posted by jeff400650 (Post 19433391)
I've been doing these fun rides lately... Pick a cool town about 50 or 60 scenic miles away. Book a nice room near town. Ride there (in my case, with my dog along). And then have my wife drive there to meet for a nice, romantic night on the town. It takes her an hour or two, to drive to where it takes me and my 20LB dog to get in a leisurely 6 hours or so.

Some fine dining. A hike. Shopping. Maybe live music.
Next morning, charming breakfast, etc... Then I ride home, usually a different route.

I guess you could call it short range, luxury touring with a spousal inclusion component.

Anyone else into this kind of thing? Or lucky enough to have a girl that will do the rides with you?

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 19433515)
A couple years ago I thought about making up such list for weekend getaways, as you described, and posting to the local Metro Boston thread. We live in downtown Boston, and can go out in all directions (except eastward into the Atlantic Ocean). So for here on the Right Coast, counterclockwise around Boston, such destinations would be:
  • Newburyport, MA (did a mutual cycle trip there once)
  • Portsmouth, NH
  • Nashua, NH
  • Lowell, MA
  • Worcester, MA
  • Providence, RI (did a car weekend trip there)
  • Plymouth, MA (one mutual cycle trip there).
One other destination, within the ring of towns listed, is Cape Ann, about 40 miles north of Boston.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston (Post 19374514)
…So one could travel by train [or cycle] from Boston to Rockport, and then it’s a short walk to our place. Our house is also a short walk to downtown Rockport which itself is an interesting walkable resort town, including beaches.

Rockport is on Cape Ann on the North Shore, and known as Boston’s "other Cape," in distinction to Cape Cod, which begins at about 80 miles from Boston, with no train service, requires crossing one of two bridges with horrendous traffic jams on the summer weekends, and is best traversed by car.

Just last night I was chatting with a colleague who has a vacation home on the off-Cape Island of Martha’s Vineyard. They have to plan their weekends months in advance to secure car passage on the ferryboat.

Rockport as a convivial tourist destination was featured in the movie Coma (but not as the scary part :D).

rumrunn6 02-24-18 07:46 PM

7 Attachment(s)
THANK YOU for the suggestions. we managed to entertain ourselves despite the rainy weather. really hard to edit the pics. hate making choices

great old inn, cute town, restaurants, food, Clark Art Institute’s Thaw collection of original masters drawings by Degas, Rembrandt, Renoir, Gauguin, Toulouse-Lautrec, Cezanne, Seurate, Van Gogh, Pissarro, Degas, Pollock, Picasso & Matisse. Then in the main museum, paintings by artists such as a cpl of my Dad’s favorites Winslow Homer & Remington & sculptures by the likes of Rodin. Then some coffee, beer & sandwiches at the Freight Yard Pub in North Adams near Mass MOCA before the drive home along the Mohawk Trail

sleepy New England town in February, had the inn to ourselves

rumrunn6 02-24-18 08:20 PM

10 Attachment(s)
cpl more of the same

mr_bill 02-26-18 11:23 AM

Love that you found the Clark. Other wonderful art museums/galleries in the general area are the Williams College Museum of Art (Williamson), Norman Rockwell Museum (Stockbridge), The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art (great for visiting with children, visiting with grandchildren, *and* visiting without children), and of course MASS MoCA (North Adams).

BTW, that sculpture outside the Inn was driving me crazy, I know I know it but didn't know why.

Figured out that I've seen their work at SoWa.

(And the grilled cheese and tomato soup looks wonderful too.)

-mr. bill

rumrunn6 02-26-18 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by mr_bill (Post 20192206)
the Clark, sculpture outside Inn & grilled cheese and tomato soup

that meal combo is a frequent fav of Wifey's
didn't ask the sculpture artists name, I see there's a plaque, I'll take a closer look at the original image
last time I was at the Clark, was w my parents, think I was 13
glad you enjoyed Mr B

mr_bill 02-26-18 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 20192313)
that meal combo is a frequent fav of Wifey's
didn't ask the sculpture artists name, I see there's a plaque, I'll take a closer look at the original image
last time I was at the Clark, was w my parents, think I was 13
glad you enjoyed Mr B

Michael Alfano, We Two Together.

-mr. bill

rumrunn6 02-26-18 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by mr_bill (Post 20193042)
Michael Alfano, We Two Together.

wow good for you!

Michael Alfano -- Cast Sculpture