Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Heathpack 04-05-20 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21402831)
I make French coffee every day. Not muddy, acid, or bitter.

I have owned a French press in the past and occasionally used it.

But mostly I’m referring to restaurant French press coffee. The problem I think is that they bring you a pot and just a single cup to drink from and beyond that first cup, you’re drinking coffee that’s been in overly long contact with the grinds. I’m sure if I were to drink properly made French press coffee from properly ground coffee in the Jones kitchen, it would taste way better.

datlas 04-06-20 04:29 AM

Time to go to work. Although office is closed for patients, I am still going in to do my telemedicine visits and interact with staff, fill out forms, etc., but may transition to trying to work from home in the near future.

Bah Humbug 04-06-20 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21402981)
Time to go to work. Although office is closed for patients, I am still going in to do my telemedicine visits and interact with staff, fill out forms, etc., but may transition to trying to work from home in the near future.

Did you normally head in this early? You must be just after the doughnut guy.

Bah Humbug 04-06-20 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21402714)
I've tried to explain this to some people and I'm just an ******* in their opinion.

That's how it goes. In tri-world, people went from delusional that their late-spring races were going to be held (and that's why they had to keep going to swim) to being delusional now that their autumn races will be held (and that's why so many were showing up to Lake Pflugerville to swim that it had to be closed). And then they whine on FB about the closure and say they can't understand why.

MoAlpha 04-06-20 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21402661)
The sad thing is you know how it will go: they themselves will develop inapparent illness, infect someone a step removed, that person will die, but it will never be traced back to the small group ride.

Yep, but maybe not as many as we think. Follow-up study in China suggests 75 of “asymptotic” eventually got sick.

ls01 04-06-20 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21402695)
Its interesting. Seems to me that most people can excuse doing “just that one thing” that it is they personally want to do.

I had a friend (?) post to Strava yesterday his 125 mile ride with his buddy, after posting back to back centuries last weekend with the same guy. They delusionally are trying to keep their “race fitness” up.

A professional colleague, one who has been instrumental on a national level of helping to articulate what exactly in an “emergent or urgent” surgery for the American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ie so he full well understands everything that’s happening), was bitterly *****ing on Strava about getting dropped from his group ride. Not really dropped but he was POed big time because the people he was meeting up with rolled past him at the meetup and then he spent 90 min trying the catch them but couldn’t. Oy.

I ran into a good friend out yesterday at the car wreck site. He was out with two friends. He’s a very reasonable upstanding citizen, Eagle Scout kind of guy, stepping up to a leadership role in local bike advocacy.

Friend with asthma told me how she had to turn down a small group ride invite yet again yesterday.

I cannot unsee what I’ve seen, or unknow what I know.

So. It affects what I think of all these people. Not that I think they’re stupid but more “can I really respect these peopke’s Inability to make a trivial sacrifice for the greater good?”

It so common though that I think it must be some aspect of the common human psychological makeup that I’m just failing to grasp.

I must he more cynical than you, I attribute it to arrogance.

indyfabz 04-06-20 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21402831)
I make French coffee every day. Not muddy, acid, or bitter.

I’m drinking some right now.

ls01 04-06-20 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21402732)
My sister just told me gas is $1 35/gal. In Indianapolis. Is that so across the board?

we've had sub $1.00 at cost co here a couple times in the last week

ls01 04-06-20 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21402981)

good luck, god speed sir.

ls01 04-06-20 05:24 AM

I have to go shopping. Dont wanna go.

kissTheApex 04-06-20 05:42 AM

Seeing that I’m working from home today, my alarm calico decided to give me moral support. She’s been under the desk past two hours. :love:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...936738e30.jpeg

datlas 04-06-20 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21402994)
Did you normally head in this early? You must be just after the doughnut guy.

Normally leave a little before 7, arrive at 7:15. It's my habit. First appointment has typically been 7:45AM but I like to come in early to deal with messages/paperwork etc.

BillyD 04-06-20 06:40 AM

Testing something different.

https://neighbors.ring.com/n/3MV6BnDdVp

Bah Humbug 04-06-20 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21403037)
Normally leave a little before 7, arrive at 7:15. It's my habit. First appointment has typically been 7:45AM but I like to come in early to deal with messages/paperwork etc.

In my pre-coffee haze I forgot you were a time zone over, which explains my confusion.

ericy 04-06-20 06:45 AM

Just outside of my "office", we have a bush where a female cardinal has taken up residence. The problem is that she sees her reflection in the window, and sees a threat, so she keeps attacking the window. Cardinals don't migrate - this has been going on for 6 months or so.

Just to make things more interesting, the sound of the bird attacking the window attracts one of our cats who attacks the same window from the inside. The cardinal sees the cat on the inside, that that just makes her even more agitated. Sometimes I have to shoosh the cat from the office and close the door just to put an end to the shenanigans.

rjones28 04-06-20 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21402850)
I have owned a French press in the past and occasionally used it.

But mostly I’m referring to restaurant French press coffee. The problem I think is that they bring you a pot and just a single cup to drink from and beyond that first cup, you’re drinking coffee that’s been in overly long contact with the grinds. I’m sure if I were to drink properly made French press coffee from properly ground coffee in the Jones kitchen, it would taste way better.

Yeah, restaurants should use carafes for that.

rjones28 04-06-20 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21403004)
I’m drinking some right now.

Me too. :)

rjones28 04-06-20 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21403010)
I have to go shopping. Dont wanna go.

Good luck.

BillyD 04-06-20 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21403070)
Testing something different.

https://neighbors.ring.com/n/3MV6BnDdVp

Vol, is that you?

rjones28 04-06-20 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21403083)
Yeah, restaurants should use carafes for that.

Or hoddles.

abshipp 04-06-20 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21403019)
Seeing that I’m working from home today, my alarm calico decided to give me moral support. She’s been under the desk past two hours. :love:

:love:

More calico content, please!

What amp is that? It looks really familiar.

BillyD 04-06-20 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21402657)
Well, If it’s as dumb as we think it is, not all of them will be riding in a few weeks. :(

It would be awesome if they only took themselves out — darwinism at work.

WhyFi 04-06-20 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21403005)
we've had sub $1.00 at cost co here a couple times in the last week

Whoa. I filled up at Costco, a week or so ago, at $1.49. I think I've only put ~40 miles on it since. Regular street price around here is $1.79 - 1.89.

indyfabz 04-06-20 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21403086)
Me too. :)

Me three.

MoAlpha 04-06-20 07:16 AM

French press is the only good solution for making coffee underway offshore, unless you want to use a stovetop percolator and I haven't seen one of those for a while. A cup of good, fresh, coffee, accompanied by a spectacular dawn, halfway through a morning watch, is one of life's supreme pleasures. I hope I live to experience it again.