Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Framebuilders (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=229)
-   -   Help with brazing cable housing stops (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1225042)

RichinSC1 03-04-21 07:54 AM

Help with brazing cable housing stops

Specifically what type of flux and filler do I need for brazing aluminum cable housing stops to a Reynold 520 Cromoly frame?
Also I am modifying a rear derailleur hanger. I am adding a small bar to the hanger to keep it properly aligned. The hanger is aluminum. Should I also use aluminum for the bar or a different metal? Then what flux and filler for the hanger?

Thanks

guy153 03-04-21 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by RichinSC1 (Post 21951558)
Specifically what type of flux and filler do I need for brazing aluminum cable housing stops to a Reynold 520 Cromoly frame?
Also I am modifying a rear derailleur hanger. I am adding a small bar to the hanger to keep it properly aligned. The hanger is aluminum. Should I also use aluminum for the bar or a different metal? Then what flux and filler for the hanger?

Thanks

I will be interested in the answer to your actual questions too :) But why not just use steel cable housing stops? They're very easy to braze onto a steel frame.

Nessism 03-04-21 08:16 AM

Aluminum cable stop brazed to a steel frame? Didn't think this is possible.

RichinSC1 03-04-21 08:22 AM

Where can I get steel cable housing stops?

Cynikal 03-04-21 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by RichinSC1 (Post 21951612)

https://www.cycle-frames.com/

Nessism 03-04-21 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by RichinSC1 (Post 21951612)

There is a pinned thread at the top of this forum that discusses frame building component suppliers. Lots of options.

unterhausen 03-04-21 09:21 AM

There is a supplier sticky at the top of this forum.

I would consider bike fab supply or framebuildersupply
https://framebuildersupply.com/collections/braze-ons

Andrew R Stewart 03-04-21 09:36 AM

I have a good stash of various braze on bits including cable stops in a few configurations. Feel free to PM me if I can help you out. Andy

guy153 03-04-21 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Nessism (Post 21951598)
Aluminum cable stop brazed to a steel frame? Didn't think this is possible.

I think you can braze aluminium to steel using something something like an aluminium bronze rod.

You can even weld aluminium to steel but only by using high explosives. Probably not a good idea to attempt this in your garage.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...24013618302899

cuevélo 03-05-21 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by guy153 (Post 21951987)
I think you can braze aluminium to steel using something something like an aluminium bronze rod.

What alloy? The melting point of aluminum bronze alloys I'm seeing is considerably higher than the melting point of aluminum alloys.

guy153 03-05-21 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by cuevélo (Post 21953515)
What alloy? The melting point of aluminum bronze alloys I'm seeing is considerably higher than the melting point of aluminum alloys.

Yes you're right... You could use aluminium as a filler metal to braze the brazing rods together.

dabac 03-05-21 12:08 PM

There are a couple of products for aluminium soldering. These will usually wet on steel too.

unterhausen 03-05-21 02:00 PM

It makes no sense to do this with aluminum when steel parts are easily available. Joining dissimilar metals is always going to be an experiment best left to people that really need to do it.

Andrew R Stewart 03-05-21 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 21953809)
It makes no sense to do this with aluminum when steel parts are easily available. Joining dissimilar metals is always going to be an experiment best left to people that really need to do it.

And understand galvanic corrosion. Andy

guy153 03-06-21 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart (Post 21954247)
And understand galvanic corrosion. Andy

Yes steel and aluminium resist all attempts to stick together when you want them to but are very good at it when you don't. The best way to attach the braze-ons might be to corrode them on :)

dsaul 03-06-21 05:14 AM

Just buy some steel braze ons and some 50 - 56% silver solder and the appropriate flux. I would stick with ordering the stops from Bikefabsupply or Framebuilders Supply, because NOVA will kill you on shipping for small parts.

unterhausen 03-06-21 09:35 AM

Is that still true about Nova? In the past they would send a different way if you called, I did that once.

Cynikal 03-06-21 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by dsaul (Post 21954538)
Just buy some steel braze ons and some 50 - 56% silver solder and the appropriate flux. I would stick with ordering the stops from Bikefabsupply or Framebuilders Supply, because NOVA will kill you on shipping for small parts.

With Nova under new ownership you may want to call them and see if that is still the case.

dsaul 03-06-21 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by unterhausen (Post 21954738)
Is that still true about Nova? In the past they would send a different way if you called, I did that once.

As a test, I put 10 cable stops in my cart and the shipping calculator shows $16.12 to ship to NJ. I don't know if they would put them in a padded mailer and send them USPS if you call, but I have an irrational aversion to calling places to ask about stuff like that. I know Andrew at Bikefabsupply will only charge me the actual cost of shipping and refund any difference from the online shipping calculator.

unterhausen 03-06-21 03:34 PM

I don't like it either, but I think I did it before BFS and FS showed up. Henry James was the same way. Bad postage estimators.
Of course, now companies are a bit worried about using priority mail, but my experience with Paragon and priority mail has been good.

Bluegenes 03-10-21 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by dsaul (Post 21955078)
As a test, I put 10 cable stops in my cart and the shipping calculator shows $16.12 to ship to NJ. I don't know if they would put them in a padded mailer and send them USPS if you call, but I have an irrational aversion to calling places to ask about stuff like that. I know Andrew at Bikefabsupply will only charge me the actual cost of shipping and refund any difference from the online shipping calculator.

Andrew at Bicycle Fabrication Supply has partially refunded part of the shipping costs (to reflect the actual cost) on several of my orders. That sort of honesty is very refreshing.

Andrew R Stewart 03-10-21 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bluegenes (Post 21961266)
Andrew at Bicycle Fabrication Supply has partially refunded part of the shipping costs (to reflect the actual cost) on several of my orders. That sort of honesty is very refreshing.

And what was the refund amount? Asking because I feel that some small amounts of doing business are not worth the efforts to save more on sometimes. Andy

unterhausen 03-10-21 09:26 PM

You gotta pay someone to put the small order in a box and ship it, so I can understand why there is a floor at some companies. Don't really see it as dishonesty or honesty really

Bluegenes 03-11-21 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart (Post 21961743)
And what was the refund amount? Asking because I feel that some small amounts of doing business are not worth the efforts to save more on sometimes. Andy

I don't recall the exact amounts. They were in the $5-10 range.

preyj 03-27-21 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=guy153;21951987]I think you can braze aluminium to steel using something something like an aluminium bronze rod.

You can even weld aluminium to steel but only by using high explosives. Probably not a good idea to attempt this in your garage.

You can, but not for the home welder. You will need to use a bimetallic transition insert or coat the steel prior to welding / brazing.