Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

genejockey 08-22-22 03:03 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22619411)
There have been things that can kill you or F you up for as long as we've been alive. Flooding has been around forever. Same with fire, tornadoes, hurricanes, massive snowfalls, etc., etc. People have been dying from that stuff for as long as you and I have been alive.

Yeah, and now there's this in addition to those, and exacerbating some of them. And it's early days, so far. I mean, I've lived in the Bay Area for 40 years, and it's only since 2018 that we've had days or weeks of wildfire smoke at hazardous levels, for example.

Bah Humbug 08-22-22 03:05 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22619433)
That's Austin pricing! My kid paid $625+ for a 50 year old 1400' house.

I was gonna say, sounds like home to me.

Mojo31 08-22-22 03:08 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22619430)

That's what scares me!

genejockey 08-22-22 03:12 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22619409)
Truth. There is a difference between "weather" and "climate" which is often lost on the masses.


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22619426)
Yes, that.

I'm a believer in the effect mankind has had on the climates of our world, but it has been going on for a very long time. Carbon emissions is not a new thing, and our current emissions, while not helping the big picture, are not going to change our climate over night in a significant manner. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be more responsible than we've been in the past 100 years or so.

There have been lots of climate changes over the life of the planet. One such event wiped out the dinosaurs, but that took a very long time.

GJ and I will be gone long before the climate can kill us. Weather might, but so might illness, injury, accident, or many other things.

A substantial number of people have already been killed, and a whole lot more have been seriously impacted by "weather" that would not have happened, or would not have been as severe without climate change. And sure, climate has changed during the billions of years this planet has been here. But never so fast as this. It's well beyond "gosh, we should be more circumspect about our carbon emissions."

DougRNS 08-22-22 03:17 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22619265)
Buffalo, on the other hand, is way out in no man's land, iirc. Have you considered Youngstown, Ohio?

I grew up 20 miles from Youngstown, Ohio. I wouldn't live there under any circumstances. Perhaps the suburbs like Canfield or Poland. Since the steel industry collapsed in the 70's it is crime ridden, drug infested, a has nothing going for it.

[MENTION=88437]genejockey[/MENTION] Asheville or similar is the way to go. PA or NY has 6 months of abysmal weather that requires much dedication to strap on many layers of clothing just to freeze your arse off. Your delusional if you think you won't mind that.

Mojo31 08-22-22 03:17 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22619437)
Yeah, and now there's this in addition to those, and exacerbating some of them. And it's early days, so far. I mean, I've lived in the Bay Area for 40 years, and it's only since 2018 that we've had days or weeks of wildfire smoke at hazardous levels, for example.

The reporting of things has changed and made us more aware of what's going on around us.

I've been in DFW since 1981. We've been bichin and moanin that we've had incredibly cold winters and incredibly hot summers recently "due to climate change."

Here are the ten coldest winters in DFW:

1. 1977-78: 39.5
2. 1904-05: 40.5
3. 1898-99: 41.1
4. 1978-79: 41.2
5. 1983-84: 41.4
6. 1963-64: 42.6
7. 1976-77: 42.8
8. 2009-10: 42.9
9. 1917-18: 43.1
10. 1911-12: 43.6

There is no mention of the Great Freeze of 2020 in there. In fact, only 1 of the last 22 years deserves mention.


There was a lot of bichin and moanin about how hot it's been this summer, but it hasn't come close to touching 1980.

We are now always hearing about ozone levels being at dangerous levels in the summer, but that has always been there it just wasn't measured or reported in 1981, for example.

big john 08-22-22 03:22 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22619433)
That's Austin pricing! My kid paid $625+ for a 50 year old 1400' house.

The house across the street from me is back on the market. It sold in January, I think, for $400K. At the time is was 480 sq ft, no garage, and all f'd up. They cleaned it up and hauled tons of crap out and relisted it for $550K. No bites so they added on and painted everything and put a new roof. Now 1200 sq ft, they listed it for $770k.

This is not an upscale area, the prices are just shocking to me. How can a working person buy something like that? $180k down and $4100 per month? I know they will likely bring in multiple families but who qualifies for the mortgage?

I worked with a guy who got a "liar loan" in about 2007. He had scraped and scratched and borrowed from everyone but he got the house. In 2008 the value dropped and his work dropped and he lost everything.

Mojo31 08-22-22 03:26 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22619452)
A substantial number of people have already been killed, and a whole lot more have been seriously impacted by "weather" that would not have happened, or would not have been as severe without climate change. And sure, climate has changed during the billions of years this planet has been here. But never so fast as this. It's well beyond "gosh, we should be more circumspect about our carbon emissions."

People die every year from weather. We get flooding around here, and the typical story when there is a drowning is that (a) someone drove into deep water and didn't heed the warnings not to, or (b) they were doing something else stupid in the water and didn't heed the warnings to get out before it came or get to high ground. We have lake drownings every year, and it's virtually always due to people swimming off the shore without a life jacket and having been drinking.

Take a look at the stats on the following chart. The reality is that weather related deaths are not going up and have not been unusual. 797 deaths in 2021. 1096 in 2011, 1451 in 2005, 1362 in 1995. 446 in 2020. There is no anomaly in the death rate these days.

80years_2021.pdf (weather.gov)

Mojo31 08-22-22 03:28 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22619469)
The house across the street from me is back on the market. It sold in January, I think, for $400K. At the time is was 480 sq ft, no garage, and all f'd up. They cleaned it up and hauled tons of crap out and relisted it for $550K. No bites so they added on and painted everything and put a new roof. Now 1200 sq ft, they listed it for $770k.

This is not an upscale area, the prices are just shocking to me. How can a working person buy something like that? $180k down and $4100 per month? I know they will likely bring in multiple families but who qualifies for the mortgage?

I worked with a guy who got a "liar loan" in about 2007. He had scraped and scratched and borrowed from everyone but he got the house. In 2008 the value dropped and his work dropped and he lost everything.

California has always been nuts in real estate pricing. May explain the migration to Austin.

genejockey 08-22-22 03:31 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22619463)
The reporting of things has changed and made us more aware of what's going on around us.

I've been in DFW since 1981. We've been bichin and moanin that we've had incredibly cold winters and incredibly hot summers recently "due to climate change."

Here are the ten coldest winters in DFW:

1. 1977-78: 39.5
2. 1904-05: 40.5
3. 1898-99: 41.1
4. 1978-79: 41.2
5. 1983-84: 41.4
6. 1963-64: 42.6
7. 1976-77: 42.8
8. 2009-10: 42.9
9. 1917-18: 43.1
10. 1911-12: 43.6

There is no mention of the Great Freeze of 2020 in there. In fact, only 1 of the last 22 years deserves mention.


There was a lot of bichin and moanin about how hot it's been this summer, but it hasn't come close to touching 1980.

We are now always hearing about ozone levels being at dangerous levels in the summer, but that has always been there it just wasn't measured or reported in 1981, for example.


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22619480)
People die every year from weather. We get flooding around here, and the typical story when there is a drowning is that (a) someone drove into deep water and didn't heed the warnings not to, or (b) they were doing something else stupid in the water and didn't heed the warnings to get out before it came or get to high ground. We have lake drownings every year, and it's virtually always due to people swimming off the shore without a life jacket and having been drinking.

Take a look at the stats on the following chart. The reality is that weather related deaths are not going up and have not been unusual. 797 deaths in 2021. 1096 in 2011, 1451 in 2005, 1362 in 1995. 446 in 2020. There is no anomaly in the death rate these days.

80years_2021.pdf (weather.gov)

All due respect, I think I'll take my cues on climate etc. from people who actually study it.

Mojo31 08-22-22 03:35 PM

I'm not disputing that we should all be more responsible with respect to our carbon emissions and other pollutants.

I'm just pointing out that the published statistics do not support your claim that more people are dying from the climate than ever before and that the climate is suddenly changing in unimaginable ways.

As I acknowledged, it's been changing for a very long time due to humanity's "progress." Longer than either of us has been alive.

Eric F 08-22-22 03:47 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22619430)

Last weekend, while descending a local MTB trail with a friend, we came around a corner to a group of 3 other guys completely stopped. A mid-size rattlesnake was in the trail, and the first guy had stopped short of running it over, sending the snake went into danger mode. After about 5 minutes or so of tossing sticks and rolling rocks at it - not trying to hurt it - the snake finally decided to move along. Meanwhile, another group of 4 riders had come up behind us. First time I recall a traffic jam on Brown Mtn. Road.

Eric F 08-22-22 03:51 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22619433)
That's Austin pricing! My kid paid $625+ for a 50 year old 1400' house.

11 years ago, we paid $595k for our 1800sf home with a 14000sf lot in a moderate suburban 'hood with mediocre schools. Our re-fi this year appraised it at over 2x our purchase price. My wife and I both make medium bucks, but couldn't come close to affording our house if we had to buy it now. Once our kid's college is done and paid for, it might be time to consider cashing out and relocating.

datlas 08-22-22 03:54 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22619523)
11 years ago, we paid $595k for our 1800sf home with a 14000sf lot in a moderate suburban 'hood with mediocre schools. Our re-fi this year appraised it at over 2x our purchase price. My wife and I both make medium bucks, but couldn't come close to affording our house if we had to buy it now. Once our kid's college is done and paid for, it might be time to consider cashing out and relocating.

You live in a million dollar home! :bday:

We paid 280k for our place in 2001 and it will become a $1M home in another year at this rate. It may be good for us geezers, but sucky for the younger generation.

genejockey 08-22-22 03:55 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22619521)
Last weekend, while descending a local MTB trail with a friend, we came around a corner to a group of 3 other guys completely stopped. A mid-size rattlesnake was in the trail, and the first guy had stopped short of running it over, sending the snake went into danger mode. After about 5 minutes or so of tossing sticks and rolling rocks at it - not trying to hurt it - the snake finally decided to move along. Meanwhile, another group of 4 riders had come up behind us. First time I recall a traffic jam on Brown Mtn. Road.

I was riding on a trail that connects two roads a few years back. It was Spring, as I recall. No longer chilly, but not yet warm. I saw a rider on the opposite side stopped and waving to me to stop, so I did. On the ground, stretched out across the trail was what I believe was probably a juvenile rattlesnake. Little guy was sunning himself on the asphalt. I couldn't get home as long as he was there, so I took my Zefal HP-X pump, flicked out the valve lever, pulled the pump out to its full extension and used the lever to hook under the snake's middle. I gently lifted it up and deposited it in the bushes well off the trail.

Try doing THAT with 6" long minipump!

Eric F 08-22-22 03:59 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22619526)
You live in a million dollar home! :bday:

We paid 280k for our place in 2001 and it will become a $1M home in another year at this rate. It may be good for us geezers, but sucky for the younger generation.

Yeah. My wife and I still shake our heads in disbelief when we look at current selling prices. "Someone paid a million dollars for THAT??!!"

genejockey 08-22-22 04:01 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22619499)
I'm not disputing that we should all be more responsible with respect to our carbon emissions and other pollutants.

I'm just pointing out that the published statistics do not support your claim that more people are dying from the climate than ever before and that the climate is suddenly changing in unimaginable ways.

As I acknowledged, it's been changing for a very long time due to humanity's "progress." Longer than either of us has been alive.

That's the wrong metric. For example, we can see hurricanes coming these days so when one hits we've largely cleared people out of its path, vs 80 or 100 years ago when they came as a nasty surprise.

Weather-related disasters increase over past 50 years, causing more damage but fewer deaths

I'd prefer to live someplace where my house won't be destroyed by YET ANOTHER "1000 Year Flood" like we keep getting, even if I personally am not killed.

genejockey 08-22-22 04:13 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22619533)
Yeah. My wife and I still shake our heads in disbelief when we look at current selling prices. "Someone paid a million dollars for THAT??!!"

We've been saying for the last 40 years that housing prices in the Bay Area can't possibly keep going up. But they do.

seedsbelize2 08-22-22 05:11 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22619334)
Tre colore tire levers alert! 20 sets to break the free shipping threshold. I guess I should see if they have any helmet deals instead of buying 20 sets.

https://cambriabike.com/products/vit...s-italian-flag

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f93599d06f.jpg

I.m a Pedro's and Michelin tire levers man.

seedsbelize2 08-22-22 05:20 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22619461)
I grew up 20 miles from Youngstown, Ohio. I wouldn't live there under any circumstances. Perhaps the suburbs like Canfield or Poland. Since the steel industry collapsed in the 70's it is crime ridden, drug infested, a has nothing going for it.

[MENTION=88437]genejockey[/MENTION] Asheville or similar is the way to go. PA or NY has 6 months of abysmal weather that requires much dedication to strap on many layers of clothing just to freeze your arse off. Your delusional if you think you won't mind that.

Facetious

seedsbelize2 08-22-22 05:29 PM

Apparently it's a rest day at the Vuelta. 3 stages one of them a time trial.

datlas 08-22-22 05:33 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22619670)
Apparently it's a rest day at the Vuelta. 3 stages one of them a time trial.

Travel day. Resumes tomorrow.

datlas 08-22-22 05:34 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22619653)
Facetious

Fun fact: facetiously uses all vowels in order. Not sure if there are others.

genejockey 08-22-22 05:37 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22619653)
Facetious

Along those lines, we could probably pick up a big house in Detroit for real cheap.

genejockey 08-22-22 05:40 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22619683)
Fun fact: facetiously uses all vowels in order. Not sure if there are others.


bampilot06 08-22-22 05:50 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22619240)
Ashville is not hot by any measure. It's warm season is only 4 months, and the hottest month is July with an average high of just 82. The average high for all 4 months is just mid-70s.

Beautiful area.


But that humidity.



Roanoke is cooler, and cheaper.

bampilot06 08-22-22 05:54 PM

Installed the power meter and the tires today. Power meter connected and calibrated flawless. The pedals are super clean.

The tires on the other hand. I have mavic pro opens on the ritchey. Not a deep dish rim by any means, but these 25 mm GP5000 did not want to go on. Ended up with a pinch flat on the front after getting the tire on, so had to start the whole process all over again.


Bike rides super smooth, itís nice to have a decent pair of tires on that bike.

bampilot06 08-22-22 05:56 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c16cd9918.jpeg


If anybody needs a pair of gently used SPD SL, I got you covered.

Bah Humbug 08-22-22 06:24 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22619683)
Fun fact: facetiously uses all vowels in order. Not sure if there are others.

It's the only one.

Of course, that includes Y, but does not include W. Good old Welsh.

big john 08-22-22 06:30 PM


Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22619533)
Yeah. My wife and I still shake our heads in disbelief when we look at current selling prices. "Someone paid a million dollars for THAT??!!"

My parents sold their house in Lake View Terrace for $26k in 1972. It sold for $552K in 2006 and is now estimated at almost $900k. Not an upscale area, by any stretch. Who is going to pay 900 grand to live there?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.