Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   MTB Pedal with road bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1216237)

nesdog 10-27-20 09:37 AM

MTB Pedal with road bike

I've been using Frogs on my road bike for years. Easy recessed cleat to walk in, and tons of float to accommodate my knees.

Alas, Wahoo has discontinued the line since buying out Speedplay. My pedals are fine, but sourcing cleats is nearly impossible at this point so as they wear down, I will have to change systems.

Wondering if anyone has some thoughts about a similar to Frog floaty pedal I can switch to? Really sorry that this product will be gone.

Thanks...

Canker 10-27-20 10:37 AM

Never used Frogs but my Time Attacks are pretty floaty.

Rides4Beer 10-27-20 11:09 AM

Plenty of float with my SPD pedals, walkable shoes, and the cleats pretty much never wear out since they're metal and recessed.

Carbonfiberboy 10-27-20 12:09 PM

Almost all the long distance riders around here use MTB shoes and SPD pedals. It's standard. Sidi Dominators dominate. As noted above, the cleats and pedals don't seem to wear, even after 50,000+ miles. That said, I have worn out the bearings on a couple sets of SPDs, bought better ones. For a roadier appearance and great durability, I like the Shimano PD-A600. Really easy to clip into, almost as easy as double-sided, and good foot support.

Pizzaiolo Americano 10-27-20 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 21763228)
For a roadier appearance and great durability, I like the Shimano PD-A600. Really easy to clip into, almost as easy as double-sided, and good foot support.

I am using the Ultegra-level ES-600 version of those pedals. They are great!

Kotek 10-27-20 02:01 PM

Using Shimano PD-A600 since one year without any issues. I'm a MTB Time pedals fan but A600 are great for road biking.

nesdog 10-27-20 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Kotek (Post 21763391)
Using Shimano PD-A600 since one year without any issues. I'm a MTB Time pedals fan but A600 are great for road biking.

Did opting for a single sided pedal cause any kind of issue for you, being used to doubles? What Time product do you like?

one4smoke 10-27-20 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by nesdog (Post 21763635)
Did opting for a single sided pedal cause any kind of issue for you, being used to doubles? What Time product do you like?

My favorite pedals for my road bike ...for what it's worth...

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-PD-M9...3853516&sr=8-5

RGMN 10-27-20 10:04 PM

Another vote for Time ATAC pedals. They give 17 degrees float, not as much as Frogs but I find that it is more than enough. I'm hoping to try some of their new single sided Gravel Pedals that use the same cleats but offer a larger platform.

Carbonfiberboy 10-27-20 10:14 PM

I see Kotek hasn't answered, but I'm in the same group. I have double sided on our tandem and on two of my road bikes. On the 3rd, the one I use the most, I have the A600s. My wife has a set of very light single-sided SPD Wellgo road pedals where the pedal surface is not much larger than the clip mechanism. The newer Wellgo pedals are different and maybe better, but maybe not.

I got used to the A600 pedals very quickly. They are weighted so as to hang in the same position. It's quick to put a toe under, flip it up, and clip in. I no longer have to look and I almost never miss. My wife's road pedals are a total PITA. I have to look and most of the time I miss my clip. Looking at others, I think my A600s clip in more reliably than Looks. Or maybe I just ride a lot.

RadDog 10-27-20 11:59 PM

I've got Ultegra pedals with Giro ACC's and love the combo. Enough float for a boat but still solidly clipped in. Don't want anything remotely off road on my road bike. Rather have a dedicated Gravel or MTB.

mstateglfr 10-28-20 06:35 AM

I have single sided SPDs on 3 bikes- it certainly doesnt affect me when riding. 97% of the time I clip in as my foot touches the pedal on the initial turn. A few times a season, I ride a handful of feet before I clip in because I have to flip the pedal and Im in traffic so I just ride first.
I have A600 and A520 pedals. The A600 arent made anymore, but the replacement is the same except for a small shape change on the back of each pedal- its the ES600.

Kotek 10-28-20 09:55 AM

Sorry for late replay- different time zone and was at work whole day.
I'm using Time Atac XS since years now in MTB , but choose Shimano due to weight, price and more "road looking" :)
First few clipping with Shimano wasn't easy as clipping side is turned down when not used - You have to flip pedal up. But after few times clipping is very intuitive. Great support and stability .
Even I'm not a Shimano pedals fan in MTB I have to say that A600 are the best option for road bike if You don't want to use road shoes and pedals.

RadDog 10-28-20 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 21763228)
Almost all the long distance riders around here use MTB shoes and SPD pedals. It's standard. Sidi Dominators dominate. As noted above, the cleats and pedals don't seem to wear, even after 50,000+ miles. That said, I have worn out the bearings on a couple sets of SPDs, bought better ones. For a roadier appearance and great durability, I like the Shimano PD-A600. Really easy to clip into, almost as easy as double-sided, and good foot support.

Very, very interesting. To be honest, I never even thought of SPD's/MTB peddle/shoe on my road bike....isn't there a considerable weight difference?

Carbonfiberboy 10-28-20 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by RadDog (Post 21764561)
Very, very interesting. To be honest, I never even thought of SPD's/MTB peddle/shoe on my road bike....isn't there a considerable weight difference?

You'd have to evaluate the particular combinations in which you are interested and compare with what you're currently using, and see if that weight increase would be worth it for the added convenience and comfort. If you're road racing, certainly not. For sport riding, events, and gravel, certainly yes IMO. For sure MTB shoes are slightly heavier due to the sole.

Kotek 10-28-20 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by RadDog (Post 21764561)

Weight of Northwave Razer ( MTB shoes ) which I'm using on road bike is around 365 grams( one shoe ) ,comparing to road shoes ,for example Sidi Genius 7 with 316 grams per shoe we don't have huge, noticeable difference. Of course there are very light road shoes like Giro Imperial with 220 grams per shoe, but shoes like Giro are not my story if I'm looking for comfort and versatility.
Shimano PD-A600 weigh at 290 grams /pair and comparing to , for example again, Look Keo Blade Carbon Ceramic Ti with weigh at 260 grams/pair Shimano's doesn't seems to be heavy ( but are much cheaper for sure ).
Anyway , its hard to say which set ( mtb or road shoes/pedals ) are " One And Only" as it's very depends of personal expectations.

Hypno Toad 10-28-20 02:30 PM

I started using Eggbeaters for my commuter bike, they are easy to engage from a stoplight and the shoes/cleats allow you to walk into the office without looking goofy .... well, goofier.

After a while, I just standardized on Crank Bros on all bikes so I can ride any bike with any pair of shoes. I have Eggbeaters on my road bikes and gravel bike; the fatbike has MalletE; and a couple city bikes have platforms.

The way I use bikes, I have a hard time thinking of a reason for proper road pedals/shoes ... I roughly half my rides include a stop where walking around is required (shopping, restaurant, tap room, coffee shop ... )

jfranci3 10-28-20 04:22 PM

I've tried a few - Time ATAC are the closest; the Time gravel pedal is a nicer version but one sided. Speedplay road are great too. Eggbeaters (IIRC) engagement/disengagement sucks as it is not defined.

Canker 10-28-20 08:58 PM

Shimano MTB pedals are what you recommend when somebody ask for a pedal that DOESN'T have much float.

I'm still running 2 pairs of old as dirt time atac aliums on my MTBs because they are indestructible and on my road/gravel bike I'm running XC4s I think, they were cheap.

nesdog 10-29-20 08:03 AM

Thanks for all of the responses! This has been helpful.

So far, I'm considering the Shimano ES600 and the Time MX8 pedals. These have caught my eye so far, although I'm not seeing all raves for the MX8....maybe the MX6's?

nesdog 10-29-20 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Canker (Post 21765641)
Shimano MTB pedals are what you recommend when somebody ask for a pedal that DOESN'T have much float.

I'm still running 2 pairs of old as dirt time atac aliums on my MTBs because they are indestructible and on my road/gravel bike I'm running XC4s I think, they were cheap.

Can you expand on the notion that the Shimano's don't have that much float? It's one of my hot button items for this purchase.

Hypno Toad 10-29-20 09:14 AM

Eggbeaters are a love/hate pedal (I love them) and they are great for float (one of the things I like). Do know that most shoes work great with Eggbeaters, but some shoes will require shims or the pedals may need additional sleeves to make the correct contact.

https://www.crankbrothers.com/blogs/...-release-angle

RGMN 10-29-20 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by nesdog (Post 21766028)
Thanks for all of the responses! This has been helpful.

So far, I'm considering the Shimano ES600 and the Time MX8 pedals. These have caught my eye so far, although I'm not seeing all raves for the MX8....maybe the MX6's?

Most people I know use the XC series rather than the MX. I have original ATACs, XC6, and XC8 and they all work well. I've had a couple of bails break on the original ATACs but other than a lost dust cap my XC pedals have been flawless, including one pair of XC8 that have 20,000+ miles on them.

Originally Posted by nesdog (Post 21766059)
Can you expand on the notion that the Shimano's don't have that much float? It's one of my hot button items for this purchase.

IIRC SPD cleats have 4 degrees of float. ATAC have 10, 13 or 17 degrees, depending on which cleat and which direction you install them.

Pizzaiolo Americano 10-29-20 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by RGMN (Post 21766202)
Most people I know use the XC series rather than the MX. I have original ATACs, XC6, and XC8 and they all work well. I've had a couple of bails break on the original ATACs but other than a lost dust cap my XC pedals have been flawless, including one pair of XC8 that have 20,000+ miles on them.

IIRC SPD cleats have 4 degrees of float. ATAC have 10, 13 or 17 degrees, depending on which cleat and which direction you install them.

The normal Shimano SH51 cleats have 4 degrees of float and the multi-release SH56 cleats have 6 degrees.

Chinghis 10-29-20 09:47 AM

I picked up a couple of pairs of the Shimano PD-M520 - white, double-sided, sort of discreet. Here I thought I was being all smart for using MTB pedals on my old Ironman. :)