Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   What was in your jersey pocket? (in C&V times) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1174809)

Salamandrine 06-04-19 05:34 PM

What was in your jersey pocket? (in C&V times)

There's a lot of stuff now. BITD my back jersey pocket had:

- some change for a phone call
- a couple bucks in a baggie.
- a key or two

optional: 1-2 bananas, on longer (60+ miles) rides only.

There was nothing else... No ID, no phone (obvs), no camera, no patch kit, no tire levers. Just a sew up under the seat.

What was in your pockets?

DiabloScott 06-04-19 06:12 PM

I had a photocopy of my driver's license, insurance card, and credit card

gugie 06-04-19 06:14 PM

wallet, keys, and on longer rides, some food - banana or Power Bar

big chainring 06-04-19 07:17 PM

A dollar or two, banana, no ID, and if I was going exploring the Chicago Tribune Chicagoland map.

canklecat 06-04-19 07:48 PM

Then:
Mini-wallet with ID and cash, keys, sweat rag, candy bar (pre-"energy" bar era).
On longer rides in the middle of nowhere I'd occasionally strap the earliest folding bead tire to the saddle bag, but never needed it.

Now (from L-R, usually):
  • Phone, maybe spare reading glasses.
  • Extra bandana, snot rags, gel packs, energy/protein bar, Kool Stop bead jack, mini-pump if I'm on the bike that I keep forgetting to install a water bottle cage pump mount on, maybe a couple other tools if I'm doing an adjustment ride; maybe a spare folding bead tire in the middle pocket for longer solo rides on rough roads or gravel.
  • Mini-wallet with ID, credit card, cash; asthma inhaler; gel pack; lip balm; maybe pepper spray if I remember to take it at all.
Good grief. I really need a bigger saddle bag. No wonder my lower back sweats so much.

Last ride 76 06-04-19 08:13 PM

jersey pockets

A banana, for 60 mi plus rides. Otherwise, empty.

Unlikely to find a phone booth anywhere near where a problem would occur. Not much of interest to buy on the routes I rode. I tried wearing my spare tire bandolier style for a bit. I hated it. It went back under the saddle, making a neat package was important:D

ID? I didn't even own ID except for a passport and cardboard SocSec card. I didn't get my driver's licence until I was 30.

nlerner 06-04-19 09:47 PM

Camels unfiltered.

gaucho777 06-04-19 09:54 PM

^ :lol:

Banana or fig newtons, 2nd water bottle for longer rides (when frames didn't always have 2 cage mounts), and a couple loose hex wrenches.

Spare inner tube was tucked in a plastic sandwich bag under the saddle, in between the saddle rails, with a couple bucks.

davester 06-04-19 10:34 PM

Back before power bars or credit cards existed I would have a sandwich, fig newtons and some cash.

thinktubes 06-05-19 05:48 AM

3 allen wrenches, 2 tire irons, wallet, keys, fig newtons, chapstick.

bikemig 06-05-19 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by gaucho777 (Post 20962751)
^ :lol:

Banana or fig newtons, 2nd water bottle for longer rides (when frames didn't always have 2 cage mounts), and a couple loose hex wrenches.

Spare inner tube was tucked in a plastic sandwich bag under the saddle, in between the saddle rails, with a couple bucks.

Yep, bananas and fig newtons and definitely a 2d water bottle. It is hot and humid in Louisiana where I grew up so that 2d bottle was not optional. I always used a small saddle bag for the tools and tubes.

nlerner 06-05-19 06:29 AM

BITD, we couldn’t afford pockets. Everything we carried had to be strapped to your body with twine. Worked okay with bananas but other types of fruit were a challenge.

Pompiere 06-05-19 06:44 AM

I was pretty skinny back then, so jerseys fit looser. I didn't like how any weight in my jersey pockets would pull it to one side, so I would only carry a couple of dollars, my house key, and my ID. I guess that carried forward to now, because I still don't like having things in my jersey pockets. Anything heavier than an arm warmer or handkerchief goes in my seat bag. I ride a lot wearing a regular t-shirt and don't really miss the pockets.

USAZorro 06-05-19 07:15 AM

BITD - I knew nothing about jerseys, let alone pockets. I did have a Zefal frame pump, a Pletscher rack that I might attach a small pack to, and a single bottle cage. On long rides I might carry a sandwich or two and a Hostess fruit pie. I might, or might not have a spare tube and a couple tire levers. Cash and a house key would be in a pocket in my shorts or jeans.

JohnDThompson 06-05-19 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 20963036)
BITD, we couldn’t afford pockets. Everything we carried had to be strapped to your body with twine. Worked okay with bananas but other types of fruit were a challenge.

Twine! You newbies had it easy. We had to use mastodon and saber-tooth tiger intestines and sinews.

Salamandrine 06-05-19 11:00 AM

Before I got my first cycling jersey, I had a small traditional saddle bag on my Motobecane with a tube, patch kit and tire levers, maybe a PB&J sandwich.

cromagnum 06-05-19 11:44 AM

Pack of Newports and a 6 of Schaffer and a beach towel strapped to the carrier Still ride in a T-shirt

ryansu 06-05-19 12:59 PM

Heck I didn't own a Jersey until about 1999 and BITD my 10 speed was a ugly earth tone Huffy that I just rode to school and back, no kit required, I don't think I had the foresight as a teen to carry anything in the way of tools or spare tubes although my older brother did give me a lesson on finding a leak (water immersion method) and patching a tube. BITD I was a distance runner so I probably figured I could just run home :lol:.

When I rediscovered cycling as an adult I would carry a tube, CO2, mini tool and some tire levers in my jersey pockets and maybe a power bar. My keys and wallet went in the under the saddle pack. I now mostly ride in regular clothes on C&V with a well stocked saddle bag and my smart phone in my shirt pocket. I live in a building with an intercom and can use my phone to unlock the door so I don't always take my keys.

clubman 06-05-19 08:18 PM

Pushing the C&V envelope to '91, it was chocolate Power Bars stuffed in every pannier pocket of a T1000 rig. Took a case of 24 to tour Denmark and still bonked.

Kabuki12 06-06-19 04:26 AM

In my jersey I keep my cel phone with my driver's license and a few dollars , a granola bar , keys, and my writing tablet with water proof pencil(I like to write). Everything else in my seat bag. Oh, sometimes a bottle of water depending on which bike I am on. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress

Chombi1 06-06-19 04:38 AM

Back in the 80's, usually, all I carried in my jersey back pockets were my driver's license, for ID , a house key, a couple of bills (10-20 bucks) and a bit of change for pre-cell phone era phone calls., tube patch kit (Rema) and a couple of plastic tire levers..... sometime I had my cycling cap or a ski cap back there, depending on the weather. Can't remember ever carrying any food, as I usually bought it while out riding.

rootboy 06-06-19 08:30 AM

Love it. You're a real card Neil. As they used to say, back in the day before fig newtons and bananas.
The Camel studs you could just stick to your bars with used chewing gum or a hunk of Silly Putty, for
quick access.

Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 20963036)

rootboy 06-06-19 08:31 AM

Talk about playing the "wise old man" card.

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 20963114)
Twine! You newbies had it easy. We had to use mastodon and saber-tooth tiger intestines and sinews.

rootboy 06-06-19 08:37 AM

After the health food store came up with those "real" fig bars, I never ate another Nabisco Fig Newton.
The health food store's fig bars were big, made with real whole wheat and were so much better than the pasty
Newtons.
Anyway...I carried a bag of those. Never thought to carry my ID, for some reason. I must've been young and dumb,
thinking I would never need it on a bike. But I was wrong, which I found out one day when I got pulled over in Salt Lake,
for ...speeding. Yup, on my bike.

sdn40 06-06-19 09:40 AM

Nothing. Just happy to see your bike