Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Cleaning water bottles (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=626909)

cedricbosch 03-08-10 12:59 PM

Cleaning water bottles

I have developed quite a collection of bike bottles that I don't use because of their foul stench. Is there any way to get these bottles back to an acceptably-tasting state? Is bleach a good idea?

stapfam 03-08-10 01:01 PM

Baby bottle sterilizing tablets will get them hygenic. Then a Bottle brush to get inside them to clear any crud- then dishwasher then sniff and chuck.

robertkat 03-08-10 01:59 PM

One idea is to wash them thoroughly after each use. A bottle brush with soap and hot water. Then they don't get so nasty. Occasionally, I fill mine with hot water and a table spoon of bleach, let sit for a few hours, then wash. Soak the tops in a bleach water solution if they get funky. But then sometimes bottles just get old and go in the recycle bin.

datlas 03-08-10 02:01 PM

Dishwasher FTW. If you don't have one, just let some bleach sit in it overnight.

If all else fails, throw them out, they are not that expensive anyway.

milkbaby 03-08-10 03:32 PM

When I worked at a pizza joint, after washing the big pans that held dough and the pizza screens (round wire mesh that sat under the pizzas as they went through the oven) with detergent, they all were dipped in a low concentration bleach solution and allowed to air dry. Of course, people weren't then pouring water on the pans and lapping water straight out of them... :)

nayr497 03-08-10 03:37 PM

Wash thoroughly after each use? Ugh, I already am annoyed at all the little things I have to clean/hang/wash/put away when I get done with a daily ride.

I never let my bottles sit with liquids in them, unless I'm riding. Also, baking soda and hot water is good, plus you don't have to worry about the bleach taste/concentration.

I also recently read that hydrogen peroxide is a good cleaner and much safer than bleach. Not sure how true this is though.

caloso 03-08-10 03:39 PM

I just throw them in the dishwasher. If they're particularly nasty, I'll put a splash of bleach in them for a few hours first.

If you don't have a dishwasher, a bottle brush is a good idea.

kbtommy 03-08-10 04:00 PM

I'm always a little puzzled by these questions. Wash them after each use. Or just wash them when you do your regular dishes. It doesn't take that long... my routine is basically the same every day. Go to work, bring a travel mug of coffee. Get home, go for a ride. Clean myself up, wash the mug and the bottles. Repeat the next day. No big deal. It'll take a few minutes at the most.

Water bottles aren't some mystical thing. It's just a glorified plastic cup.

That said, if they've been sitting around getting funky for that long, I'd just toss them and buy new ones.

KiuBWhy 03-08-10 04:06 PM

+1 on cleaning them right after the ride.

Throwing them away can get expensive if you shell out for the $8-$14 ones. (Polar or Insulated Camelback)

elader 03-08-10 05:21 PM

denture tablets

challaday 03-08-10 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by elader (Post 10497995)
denture tablets

+1

I learned this trick from an elder statesman when I was a 13 year old novice. It works well. Although I did get strange looks from store clerks when I purchased boxes of denture tablets as a 13 year old.

noglider 03-08-10 07:23 PM

Do denture tablets use something simple like vinegar and baking soda? Because that combo can work when you have a taste or odor that's tough to remove.

Paul Y. 03-08-10 08:06 PM

The secret is don't let them sit. Bacteria forms quickly from what is left in a plastic container. .

merlinextraligh 03-08-10 08:07 PM

you're supposed to clean them?

Garfield Cat 03-09-10 08:47 AM

The odor and the cleaning may not necessarily be the same thing. First, sanitize with the bleach. Then to get the bleach odor out, do the next step.

For odor, fill the bottle with old coffee grinds all the way to the top. Let sit in refrigerator over night. I hope you like coffee flavor.

noglider 03-09-10 09:15 AM

:lol:

But you could fill the bottle up with baking soda. It also absorbs odors and flavors, and it leaves no taste behind if you rinse it out thoroughly.

Another thing I do is mix in a small amount of fruit juice every time I fill the bottle with water. This seems to improve the taste and also prevent bad flavors from creeping in.