Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   just another tired old Cimarron (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1227103)

Dylansbob 03-30-21 12:00 PM

just another tired old Cimarron

She cleaned up ok, but the deerhead drivetrain is soo tired. Replaced the original biopace with some sr rings, new tires, rd cable, and pedals.

We'll see how long before I rebuild it with moustache bars...
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...eb3755b2b.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4f0b0f745.jpeg

nlerner 03-30-21 01:03 PM

Looks like lots of fun!

Velo Mule 03-30-21 01:19 PM

Is that a lugged unicrown fork?

I've liked these bikes, I never know that it had a lugged fork.

Nice bike. Components are easy to swap out. You have a nice looking example there. Those clear pedals seem to fit the style of the bike.

How do you like the way it rides? It should make a good cross-country bike.

Dylansbob 03-30-21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Mule (Post 21992094)

I think that the fork was sourced from Panasonic by Schwinn. I could swear it looks the same as the Panasonic MC-2500 I had.

It's not really that good of shape, lots of scratches that would look worse save the quality of Schwinn's paint and the color.

Roger M 03-30-21 03:44 PM

Is this the same one from the estate sale posted by scozim? If so, I did see it. It looked well used, but complete. There was another Cimarron frame in the back that looked brand new(same color even). I wonder what the story behind that was?

Anyhow, nice work getting it back on the road.

Dylansbob 03-30-21 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Roger M (Post 21992355)
Is this the same one from the estate sale posted by scozim? If so, I did see it. It looked well used, but complete. There was another Cimarron frame in the back that looked brand new(same color even). I wonder what the story behind that was?

Anyhow, nice work getting it back on the road.

Yep, that's it. I forgot to grab the original XCpro pedals hanging, but otherwise pretty complete.

I've never really spent time with an early super slack mtb. Everytime I get a hold of one, it's either the wrong size or has some terminal damage. I haven't had a drop barred mtb since before they were cool, so I might have to go that route..

jjhabbs 03-30-21 06:36 PM

That's an awesome bicycle! I love that model. I used to sell them when they were new. Can't believe those huge tires fit! Enjoy~

JJ

Korina 03-30-21 07:56 PM

From what I understand, people didn't trust early unicrown forks, so mfrs. added lugs to reassure them.

twolve 03-30-21 10:29 PM

Great bike, I love the understated decals, it has such a clean look.

bwilli88 03-31-21 04:27 AM

I would love those bars.
Nice bike, What tires are they?

Dylansbob 03-31-21 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by bwilli88 (Post 21993144)
I would love those bars.
Nice bike, What tires are they?

The tires are Conti Cruiser Contacts 2.2. Chainreaction had them for $8/pc last month. They're a pretty cheap tire, so the price was about right. Compared to a Big Apple, they're a rung or two lower quality.

montclairbobbyb 04-04-21 07:14 PM

Cimarrons make GREAT all-rounder bikes!! Yours looks awesome, and that color is the coolest.
The head and seat angles on that are 70 degrees... Not slack quite like the first gen MTBs
Enjoy it!

paulocaputo 04-01-22 12:33 PM

beatiful bike

Smokinapankake 04-01-22 01:40 PM

My old and long gone Diamond Back Ascent ('86-ish) in mint green had the same lugged unicrown. It had mid-blade braze-ons, but only single eyelets at the dropouts. I'd love to find a decent Cimarron in my size and at a price I could justify buying another crappy old bike...

The Golden Boy 04-01-22 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dylansbob (Post 21992139)
I think that the fork was sourced from Panasonic by Schwinn. I could swear it looks the same as the Panasonic MC-2500 I had.

Originally Posted by Korina (Post 21992765)
From what I understand, people didn't trust early unicrown forks, so mfrs. added lugs to reassure them.

That's my understanding as well. These were on the high end bikes for a few years- it's interesting that the unicrown was "hi-tech" and special at the time- but people didn't trust the change from a "real" fork crown.

For those of you playing along at home- the Cimarron was Schwinn's top of the line bike- and it was really special. CrMo frame and fork, top of the line components- and the frame was fillet brazed at the front and lugged at the rear. The next model down, the High Sierra, was fillet brazed in the front, but TIG welded at the seat cluster and BB.

There's a whole lot of super cool awesomeness going on with that bike!!!

Classtime 04-01-22 08:14 PM

I had an 85 Complete that suffered from an episode of n-3☹️ Really nice rider and super cool parts like the Nitto cock pit, Suntour seatpost I think, and wide flange Dura ace hubs? The rear end needed my hamfisted 2x4 frame alignment but after that and some RT Pass tires wonderful cruiser on dirt paths. I miss it more than my Stumpjumper or Univega Alpina Team. Eligible for Cino btw.