Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

arex 01-26-15 10:42 PM


Originally Posted by Peugeotlover (Post 17503288)
Raleigh Sports 3 speed.
What model year do you think this is?
Is the price reasonable?
I like it's looks.
Check out the design of that front chain ring.

Vintage raleigh sports 3 speed nice

Looks alright, but seems kind of pricy. Guessing it's from the 1970's, based on the decals, but it'd be hard to narrow it down from there without looking up the serial number.

PatrickZ 01-26-15 10:44 PM


Originally Posted by Peugeotlover (Post 17503288)
Raleigh Sports 3 speed.
What model year do you think this is?
Is the price reasonable?
I like it's looks.
Check out the design of that front chain ring.

Around 1972 or so.

arex 01-26-15 11:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by michaelz28 (Post 17503237)
are you restoring that bike ? i love to see some progress picts and stuff

Not restoring, really...started out with too little of the original bike. I'm building a club racer replica from the bare frame. I've no doubt that purists are recoiling in mute horror from my efforts.

I had mocked it up last winter, but it got sidelined when I found the seat stay brazings were broken. I recently had the damage repaired, along with some other minor modifications, since the paint was getting ruined by the torch anyways. I just got the frame back from the powdercoater last week, and I spent this evening putting the bottom bracket together.

This was from last winter:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=430742 http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=430743

Some things will have changed by the time I'm done.

Narhay 01-26-15 11:10 PM

I like it except that crank...too bulky.

Salubrious 01-26-15 11:12 PM

^^ I'm OK with it except for that crank. If it were me and I was not planning to use a chainguard I would put a high end cottered crank on there, but in all likelihood you will pay more for that than the one there now.

I'm working on a clubman myself, based on a Bates frame. I've run into to a snag and wondering if anyone has a cure. The tubing is a bit larger diameter, so mounting the cable pulley on the seat tube is an issue. Has anyone seen pulley clamps and fulcrum clamps that are made for larger diameter tubing?? Or do I have to go off-reservation on this one?

arex 01-26-15 11:31 PM

Yeah, the crank isn't the most awesome choice...but it was cheap, and gives a good chainline. I might change it in the future to something more appropriate-looking. That's not the chainring I'm going to use, either.

arex 01-26-15 11:34 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 17503503)
I'm working on a clubman myself, based on a Bates frame. I've run into to a snag and wondering if anyone has a cure. The tubing is a bit larger diameter, so mounting the cable pulley on the seat tube is an issue. Has anyone seen pulley clamps and fulcrum clamps that are made for larger diameter tubing?? Or do I have to go off-reservation on this one?

How big is the tube?

nlerner 01-27-15 07:35 AM

Those pulley clamps did come in two sizes. Larger is 1 1/8" I believe.

michaelz28 01-27-15 10:06 AM


Originally Posted by Peugeotlover (Post 17503288)
Raleigh Sports 3 speed.
What model year do you think this is?
Is the price reasonable?
I like it's looks.
Check out the design of that front chain ring.
Vintage raleigh sports 3 speed nice

its pre 74 as in 74 the pump was dropped as part of the "sports " package . the raleigh heron was everywhere on these things . the chain ring is a nice touch and is nicer than any schwinn ..just make sure its a 23 inch and not a 21 . the seat post looks a little high . my 23 inch seat is pretty low and its up there and im 6'1"..

noglider 01-27-15 10:21 AM


Originally Posted by arex (Post 17503436)
Looks alright, but seems kind of pricy. Guessing it's from the 1970's, based on the decals, but it'd be hard to narrow it down from there without looking up the serial number.

It has the leather saddle which appears to be in good condition. The whole bike appears to be in good condition. As such, the price is fair. It's also a large model, which can justify the high price. If you want this bike, buy it. The price might be negotiable, too.

ironchefchris 01-27-15 10:35 AM

New-ish to the forum...I just got a brown 70s Raleigh Sports 3 spd (trying to pin point the year) from my dad who grabbed it from Goodwill when he was driving by and saw a guy unloading it. He doesn't ride anymore, but used to race in his younger days and also gave me his old racing bike a few years ago, a green Gitane TdF that had been in the garage for 30 years w/o being ridden (he sort of retired it after his jaw was wired shut from a nasty wreck on the bike during a race). A bit rusty and needs an overhaul for sure but the paint is great and the bike is a real looker. Brakes are a loud mess and the gears are shot though..so while I'm fixing that one up, the Raleigh will be my bike of choice for riding around since it is a functioning bike now. Hopefully I can use this forum to work on both bikes and get them back to top shape for the spring.

Anything of note on the Sports? I like the look of the Gitane with the drop down bars and having ridden that bike more, it feels a bit more comfortable to me than sitting totally upright. However, the Raleigh is a more reliable, comfortable over-all, and a fun bike for tooling around the neighborhood. Does anyone ever put drop down bars on Sports or 3 spd or is that odd? I'm having some trouble finding a good place to source new parts that look age appropriate as well, any tips?

Bandera 01-27-15 10:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 17503503)
The tubing is a bit larger diameter, so mounting the cable pulley on the seat tube is an issue. Has anyone seen pulley clamps and fulcrum clamps that are made for larger diameter tubing?? Or do I have to go off-reservation on this one?


ORIGIN8 Pro Cable Guide Pulley

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=430797

Origin8 Alloy Cable Stop: 28.6, 31.8, 34.9

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=430798

-Bandera

Salubrious 01-27-15 10:59 AM

Sweet! Thanks!

michaelz28 01-27-15 11:21 AM


Originally Posted by ironchefchris (Post 17504351)
New-ish to the forum...I just got a brown 70s Raleigh Sports 3 spd (trying to pin point the year) from my dad who grabbed it from Goodwill when he was driving by and saw a guy unloading it. He doesn't ride anymore, but used to race in his younger days and also gave me his old racing bike a few years ago, a green Gitane TdF that had been in the garage for 30 years w/o being ridden (he sort of retired it after his jaw was wired shut from a nasty wreck on the bike during a race). A bit rusty and needs an overhaul for sure but the paint is great and the bike is a real looker. Brakes are a loud mess and the gears are shot though..so while I'm fixing that one up, the Raleigh will be my bike of choice for riding around since it is a functioning bike now. Hopefully I can use this forum to work on both bikes and get them back to top shape for the spring.

Anything of note on the Sports? I like the look of the Gitane with the drop down bars and having ridden that bike more, it feels a bit more comfortable to me than sitting totally upright. However, the Raleigh is a more reliable, comfortable over-all, and a fun bike for tooling around the neighborhood. Does anyone ever put drop down bars on Sports or 3 spd or is that odd? I'm having some trouble finding a good place to source new parts that look age appropriate as well, any tips?

get some Picts of the Raleigh . I just recent found one too . Mine is a coffee 74 . Clean off the rear hub and it will have a date on it . Not proof positive, but a start .
Again, I'm pretty new at the Raleigh thing , but I'm learnig .

adventurepdx 01-27-15 12:59 PM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17504310)
It has the leather saddle which appears to be in good condition. The whole bike appears to be in good condition. As such, the price is fair. It's also a large model, which can justify the high price. If you want this bike, buy it. The price might be negotiable, too.

Yeah, you can tell that some of you folks don't live in Portland! ;) A 23-inch Sports frame in good shape with what looks like a Brooks B72 in good shape would probably start at $300 here. $220 is practically a steal! (Though those reflectors have gotta go...)

michaelz28 01-27-15 02:13 PM

I have to agree that 200 is below going rate ( from what I've seen on line ) . 300 or 350 . I don't know everything about these bikes , but since I've got mine I've been on eBay and Craig's list and the 200 dollar ones have issues. Broken or missing cabels, wrong saddle , etc . And there is this ..23" Vintage Used Once Coffee 1970 Raleigh Sports Papers Accessories Brooks B72 | eBay

nlerner 01-27-15 04:16 PM

Hmm, I sold a 1970s 23" men's coffee brown Sports back in the summer for $150, and it took quite a few weeks. That's in Boston, which is a pretty hot market for bicycles.

Peugeotlover 01-27-15 06:16 PM

Hey, everybody, thank you for the replies about the Raleigh Sports.
When I was about 12 years old, my folks bought me a Rollfast English 3-speed and I enjoyed that for many years, until I left home.
I think the folks probably spent about $70. for that bike, new (early 1960's?).
The Raleigh Sports looks nearly identical to the Rollfast, thus my interest.

Like nlerner, I was thinking about $150. also, would be fair to both buyer & seller.
But, the economy has shifted, it is difficult to keep up with all the value changes.
I may go to look at the bike, and now I have a better idea as to what to offer.
Thanks Tom, et al.

michaelz28 01-27-15 09:12 PM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 17505424)
Hmm, I sold a 1970s 23" men's coffee brown Sports back in the summer for $150, and it took quite a few weeks. That's in Boston, which is a pretty hot market for bicycles.

what shape and how original was it ? id never let this one go for less than 350 http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...pscduuhsl1.jpg

michaelz28 01-27-15 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
was doing some cleaning and found the serial number http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=430883

nlerner 01-27-15 09:20 PM


Originally Posted by michaelz28 (Post 17506205)
what shape and how original was it ?

Saddle and grips weren't original, but everything else was. It was a 1970, according to the rear hub. Paint was in decent shape:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-H.../IMAGE_324.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-u.../IMAGE_325.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-A.../IMAGE_326.jpg

michaelz28 01-27-15 10:02 PM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 17506230)
Saddle and grips weren't original, but everything else was. It was a 1970, according to the rear hub. Paint was in decent shape:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-H.../IMAGE_324.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-u.../IMAGE_325.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-A.../IMAGE_326.jpg

that's a nice bike . some of the value is in the saddle for sure . i would have held out , but if you need the space .

gna 01-27-15 10:21 PM


Originally Posted by Peugeotlover (Post 17503288)
Raleigh Sports 3 speed.
What model year do you think this is?
Is the price reasonable?
I like it's looks.
Check out the design of that front chain ring.

Vintage raleigh sports 3 speed nice

I'd say '73. I can't really see if it has self adjusting brke levers or 36/36 spoking, but those changes all happened around then.
See 'The Headbadge': Classic & Vintage Bicycle Resources & Appraisals

Price seems a bit high to me, but if you really want it...

desconhecido 01-27-15 11:06 PM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 17504310)
It has the leather saddle which appears to be in good condition. The whole bike appears to be in good condition. As such, the price is fair. It's also a large model, which can justify the high price. If you want this bike, buy it. The price might be negotiable, too.

Hard to tell for sure, but the rims look to be in pretty good shape. From my experience and imo, good rims that are salvageable are worth a bit. Also for the saddle, though I'm certainly not sufficiently an expert to say what model it is. Has a nice reflector on the white tail. Hard to tell from the photos how scratched up it is. Also, am not 100% sure that the visible cotter end is the nut end. If it's not the nut that's showing, somebody did some sub-optimal cotter work. But, I think it's the nut. So, if the bikes as good as it appears in the photos and the chrome is not pitted and the hubs and BB are all ok, I think the bike would not be a bad buy for that price. If you want it. I don't think it's going to be a profit maker for somebody. Problem is it takes a bunch of money to get a $220 Sports turned into a $300 Sports.

gster 01-28-15 07:50 AM


Originally Posted by michaelz28 (Post 17506205)
what shape and how original was it ? id never let this one go for less than 350 http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...pscduuhsl1.jpg

The leather saddle alone is worth $100.00.

gster 01-28-15 07:55 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gster (Post 17507136)
The leather saddle alone is worth $100.00.

The most I ever paid for a vintage bike is $425.00 (Canadian) for this 1976 Raleigh Tourist.
The least I've paid is free from the side of the road.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=431006http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=431007http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=431008http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=431009

nlerner 01-28-15 08:54 AM


Originally Posted by michaelz28 (Post 17506348)
that's a nice bike . some of the value is in the saddle for sure . i would have held out , but if you need the space .

Oh, I needed the space and have lots of other bikes. Plus, I bought it originally on CL for $60, which included original B72 saddle and Dare grips, which I sold off.

nlerner 01-28-15 09:00 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 17507136)
The leather saddle alone is worth $100.00.

There's been a B.72 saddle listed on Boston's CL for many weeks now at $80 with no bites. That much more worn model wouldn't likely fetch $100, at least not in this market. You can also get a brand-new B.67 (single rail with springs) for $105.

Salubrious 01-28-15 10:38 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 17507154)
The most I ever paid for a vintage bike is $425.00 (Canadian) for this 1976 Raleigh Tourist.
The least I've paid is free from the side of the road.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=431008

That speedo is a nice touch!!

michaelz28 01-28-15 05:03 PM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 17507312)
There's been a B.72 saddle listed on Boston's CL for many weeks now at $80 with no bites. That much more worn model wouldn't likely fetch $100, at least not in this market. You can also get a brand-new B.67 (single rail with springs) for $105.

mines as nice as that one . its called patina ( people like patina not new , anyone can have new ) ....i don't think id get a hundred , but it makes a nice package with the bike . the speedo on the bike had 25 miles on it and the man i got it from said that was it . it still rolls its original tires . it was in his 4 car garage its whole life , not outside ..


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.