Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Pills and Ills (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=337)
-   -   When To Get Back on Bike after Prostate Biopsy (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1223850)

Sorg67 02-16-21 11:54 AM

When To Get Back on Bike after Prostate Biopsy

I had a prostate biopsy yesterday. Doctor says go back to normal activities after 48 hours. I did not ask him about bicycles. I have read some say stay off bicycle for a week or two. Anybody know anything about this?

cb400bill 02-16-21 12:00 PM

Having one last Thursday, I think that it will be at least another week before I try to ride.

Rage 02-16-21 12:38 PM

Omigosh, I hope you guys feel better soon. And that the biopsy results are favorable.
Better to be over cautious as far as getting back in the saddle.
It’s freezing out, anyway.

Koyote 02-16-21 12:55 PM

Sorg67 and cb400bill , I hope your biopsies both come back clean.

Sorg67 02-16-21 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by cb400bill (Post 21926652)
Having one last Thursday, I think that it will be at least another week before I try to ride.

Good luck. I went to school in Albion, MI just a bit east of you.

Originally Posted by Rage (Post 21926695)
It’s freezing out, anyway.

I live in Florida. We are in prime riding season.

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 21926726)
Sorg67 and cb400bill , I hope your biopsies both come back clean.

Me too. Thanks!

Rage 02-16-21 04:07 PM

Oboy, I wish I was in Florida. Or someplace warm.
Maybe just lie out in the sun or something for the next two weeks or so?

starchase 02-16-21 04:20 PM

I had mine 7/29/20 and on 8/4/20 rode my usual 13 miles. Results, BTW, were negative thank the Lord!

Rage 02-16-21 04:36 PM

Congrats, starchase!

Ptcycles 02-16-21 10:09 PM

Had a biopsy on 12/3/20. Do not ride if blood in urine or stool. You risk sepsis if you push it. Had a radical prostectomy on 1/6/21. Will take some time to get better.Age 66, good luck

Sorg67 02-17-21 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ptcycles (Post 21927528)
Had a biopsy on 12/3/20. Do not ride if blood in urine or stool. You risk sepsis if you push it. Had a radical prostectomy on 1/6/21. Will take some time to get better.Age 66, good luck

Good luck with your recovery. Thanks for tip on risk of sepsis. No blood in urine or stool so far. No residual pain, maybe a faint achiness. Biopsy was on Monday, thinking I will give riding a try over the weekend. Some have said wait a week or two.

deacon mark 02-17-21 09:30 AM

I had one and road my bike later in the day about 30 miles. My was negative and hopefully yours is too.

Rage 02-17-21 01:42 PM

Wishing you a quick and uneventful recovery, Ptcycles!

And you are one tough hombre, deacon mark!

Bald Paul 02-17-21 03:18 PM

Best advice I can give? Ask your doctor.

OldTryGuy 02-18-21 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sorg67 (Post 21926638)
I had a prostate biopsy yesterday. Doctor says go back to normal activities after 48 hours. I did not ask him about bicycles. I have read some say stay off bicycle for a week or two. Anybody know anything about this?

Hoping your results are favorable. You can follow your doctor's suggestion or not..

Was your biopsy a TRUS or a Transperineal method??? In 2015 I had a TRUS biopsy a week before my IM70.3FL and had to cancel. In 2018 I had my 2nd Transperineal 3D Prostate Mapping Biopsy due to a PCa recurrence, I'm a Gleason 10 (5+5), and had to bicycle 2 days later for our local Relay For Life. Due to a double flat almost at the end of my OVERNIGHT RIDE, I only biked 136 miles short of the planned 150 miles.

1ST -- Good luck to all.

2nd -- whatever the results are, OBTAIN A 2ND OPINION especially if you had a TRUS biopsy and even if results are(were) Gleason 3+3, request a 3TmpMRI since a TRUS IS NOT very reliable.

3rd -- Highly suggest that before any chosen procedure is performed if you are told that you have PCa (Prostate Cancer), do online research about PCa AND join a PCa Forum.

4th -- HOPEFULLY your antibiotic was not CIPRO (https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pres...-sugar-adverse) or another type of fluoroquinolones.

cb400bill 02-18-21 08:12 PM

My results came back positive for Invasive Prostatic Adenocarcinoma. With a Gleason score of 4+4=8. Doctor says it is a very small area and found very early.

I meet with the urologist on Monday to discuss next step.

Sorg67 02-19-21 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by cb400bill (Post 21930716)
My results came back positive for Invasive Prostatic Adenocarcinoma. With a Gleason score of 4+4=8. Doctor says it is a very small area and found very early.

Sorry about positive result. Good that they found early. Will be curious to hear what they say.

I expect to hear my results today or Monday.

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 21930505)

2nd -- whatever the results are, OBTAIN A 2ND OPINION especially if you had a TRUS biopsy and even if results are(were) Gleason 3+3, request a 3TmpMRI since a TRUS IS NOT very reliable.

Mine was a MRI / Sonogram fusion targeted and random through rectum. Four samples targeted at suspicious spot from MRI and 12 random covering entire prostate.

My PSA is 2.7. MRI was done because of nodule found on DRE. MRI found 4 mm suspicious spot so biopsy was recommended.

OldTryGuy 02-19-21 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sorg67 (Post 21930989)

I expect to hear my results today or Monday.
Mine was a MRI / Sonogram fusion targeted and random through rectum. Four samples targeted at suspicious spot from MRI and 12 random covering entire prostate.
My PSA is 2.7. MRI was done because of nodule found on DRE. MRI found 4 mm suspicious spot so biopsy was recommended.

Very good reading that your choice of provider was not "OLD SCHOOL." :thumb:

UNLIKE the other 95 of every 100 men, my PCa is 5+5, Gleason 10 - the 5% CLUB. RIGHT HALF of prostate.so began with a Bilateral Orchiectomy instead of the standard ADT protocol then opted for an experimental 1st time performed treatment of Cryoablation + a Non FDA Approved combo of 3 drug Immunotherapy Injection. Coming up to 6 years diagnosed and still biking with my attempt of at least one 100 miler a week. Went with my cycling friends nickname for me of Psycho Johnny as my STRAVA name.

GOOD LUCK and would be interested in your results if you would like to share.

mirfi 02-19-21 06:50 AM

Just an FYI, I was warned my first ejaculate may be bloody. And it was, very. And slightly the second.

So, ahem, you may want to test the equipment away from the wife.

Rage 02-19-21 08:08 AM

I’m sorry to hear, cb400bill.
Pulling for you, if that means anything.

OldTryGuy 02-19-21 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by cb400bill (Post 21930716)

PLEASE get a 2nd opinion before treatment is chosen. I have spoken to guys AND THEIR SO's from around the WORLD about improper first read pathology reports ESPECIALLY if a TRUS biopsy was the method used. EVEN images from 3TmpMRI can be miss-read. JUST a suggestion.

mirfi 02-19-21 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 21931381)
PLEASE get a 2nd opinion before treatment is chosen. I have spoken to guys AND THEIR SO's from around the WORLD about improper first read pathology reports ESPECIALLY if a TRUS biopsy was the method used. EVEN images from 3TmpMRI can be miss-read. JUST a suggestion.

I am not going to relate my current status, but if I could do it over I'd get a second opinion. I ignored that advice.

I concur, GET A SECOND OPINION!!

At a different hospital/practice.

cb400bill 02-19-21 02:15 PM

What is a TRUS biopsy and what is a 3TmpMRI

OldTryGuy 02-19-21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by cb400bill (Post 21931879)
What is a TRUS biopsy and what is a 3TmpMRI

https://www.pcf.org/about-prostate-c...how-diagnosed/

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-pro...t/pac-20384734

TAKE NOTE that the TRUS method of biopsy has a GREATER chance of infection than a Transperineal method plus due to the direction of sampling, major areas of the prostate can not be reached thus missing the areas that an easily harbor higher grade cancer.

The 3TmpMRI is a NON INVASIVE SCAN that can show areas of concern BEFORE a biopsy is performed.

Trsnrtr 02-19-21 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 21931023)

Coming up to 6 years diagnosed and still biking with my attempt of at least one 100 miler a week. Went with my cycling friends nickname for me of Psycho Johnny as my STRAVA name.

Good to hear, OTG. I think about you every now and then because you are the only one I know who has had a Gleason score of 5+5 and an orchiectomy.

BTW, I sought you out on Strava and requested to follow but I won't get my feelings hurt if you ignore me. ;)

Sorg67 02-20-21 10:56 AM

Rode today. Short ride. No problems. Probably longer ride tomorrow. Maybe this afternoon.

Adjusted saddle a little. Been meaning to do that anyway.

Thanks for input. No results yet. Thought I might get result yesterday. Hopefully Monday. Was not especially worried about it, but now having had the biopsy I am a little more stressed about the result.

But it will be what it will be and whatever it is, I will deal with it.