Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

WhyFi 10-28-21 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22286961)
I know clipless falls are common, but I don't think I have ever had one....

About 10 years ago, I got stuck at slow speed on a sandy section of the road, and my massive quads caused the rear wheel to totally spin out, and I had a 0.5 MPH tip-over crash which I could not clip out of. That's the closest I ever came to a clipliss fall, but I don't know if that qualifies. :foo:

To me, a true clipless fail is a mental slip, not something like this. I say that, of course, so that I can have a clean clipless fail record, too. :o Mine, though, was a result of an unseen hump that caught my front wheel and threw my balance off just enough to topple in slow-mo.

WhyFi 10-28-21 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22287347)

That's no fun. You could at least have gone with some Honey Nut Cheerios. I mean, live it up a little, man.

datlas 10-28-21 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22287365)
To me, a true clipless fail is a mental slip, not something like this. I say that, of course, so that I can have a clean clipless fail record, too. :o Mine, though, was a result of an unseen hump that caught my front wheel and threw my balance off just enough to topple in slow-mo.

There is also the cousin of the clipless fail/fall, and that's the toe overlap fall/fail. Would only happen once and typically in a parking lot or other situation where you are turning the wheel. I had one or two toe-overlap bumps/scares but never crashed as a result.

phrantic09 10-28-21 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22287320)

basic

Velo Vol 10-28-21 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22287367)
I mean, live it up a little, man.

No, too sweet. The original is just fine.

seedsbelize2 10-28-21 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22286730)
I haven't crashed 5 times in my cycling career.

Upon actually thinking about it I can come up with 5, so there are certainly more. But my career spans 60 years, so a very low average.

Mojo31 10-28-21 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22287363)
Being a trained special operator, I rolled up into a ball on the grass and protected my face with my arms. I think I yelled “help!” a lot, too. Fortunately the enemy lacked my elite training and didn’t do any real damage. They ran away when the other guy stopped.

My helmet saved me from injury too!

I never could understand football players taking a swing at another player when they are wearing their helmets. Seems like the punch thrower risks more injury than the other guy.

Yes, I know, there is not always a lot of IQ on the field.

big john 10-28-21 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22287402)
I never could understand football players taking a swing at another player when they are wearing their helmets. Seems like the punch thrower risks more injury than the other guy.

Yes, I know, there is not always a lot of IQ on the field.

I saw Howie Long knock a larger player off of his feet with a punch to the side of his helmet. Of course, Howie was NCAA heavyweight boxing champion.

datlas 10-28-21 03:06 PM

Moderna booster in.

seedsbelize2 10-28-21 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22287363)
Being a trained special operator, I rolled up into a ball on the grass and protected my face with my arms. I think I yelled “help!” a lot, too. Fortunately the enemy lacked my elite training and didn’t do any real damage. They ran away when the other guy stopped.

My helmet saved me from injury too!

Seems the bike itself would make a good weapon. If one were to think of it.

Velo Vol 10-28-21 03:21 PM

Quality content.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...46b7ea8575.png

genejockey 10-28-21 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22287423)

Just make sure to shift into the small ring, so you have all 53 of those nasty sharp big ring teeth to rip with.

Trsnrtr 10-28-21 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22287420)
Moderna booster in.

I got the Moderna booster on Monday and had little icky feelings other than a few hours of nausea on Tuesday.

HOWEVER, I have a red swollen area about 1.5-1.75" in diameter that is standing up and is very hard. It was sore the first couple days and had a redder ring around it. Not sore today, ring is gone but still red.

It bothers my wife to look at it but since I can't see it, I've shrugged it off. :D

MoAlpha 10-28-21 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22287423)

True. Next time.

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22287435)
Just make sure to shift into the small ring, so you have all 53 of those nasty sharp big ring teeth to rip with.

I think that was during my SS commuting phase.

Eric F 10-28-21 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by mvnsnd (Post 22287282)
I'll never forget one of my first group rides where one of the older guys who was a racer came up beside me within a few inches. Unnerving for sure, but kept calm and rode on. That was a quick introduction to riding with the faster group :twitchy:

Nice that he gave you a couple of extra inches of space to keep you comfortable.

genejockey 10-28-21 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22287444)
True. Next time.

I think that was during my SS commuting phase.

Another reason not to adopt 1x drivetrains.

LAJ 10-28-21 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22287356)
I was a Cat 4 when there was no Cat 5 and promotion to Cat 3 was non-competitive. :50:

Funny :) We went from Bicycle Racing Association of Colorado as our sanctioning body to USAC. That said, I fell through the cracks as well. I began as a cat 4, and my first crit was a combo 3-4 crit with 125 of us at the line. It opened my eyes, but quick.

Trsnrtr 10-28-21 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22287471)
Funny :) We went from Bicycle Racing Association of Colorado as our sanctioning body to USAC. That said, I fell through the cracks as well. I began as a cat 4, and my first crit was a combo 3-4 crit with 125 of us at the line. It opened my eyes, but quick.

My very first Cat 4 race was in Oak Park, IL and had a cutoff of 125 but for some reason, the promoter decided to run the Cat 3s and Cat 4s together on this 1K course pushing the size over 175. Never having raced before and scared as Hell, I lined up near the back and I remember the pack was starting around the first corner before the back of the pack with me in it barely moved. I lasted 7 laps before being pulled but I was hooked. :thumb:

DougRNS 10-28-21 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22287432)

Hell no.

DougRNS 10-28-21 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22287091)
Hey @MoAlpha I have a neuro case that is tough. 40-ish year old female who had cerical myelopathy with spinal cord compression s/p Fusion 2013. She did well for several years, but now has worrisome symptoms including episodes of SOB with "swallowing paralysis" where she feels she cannot swallow anything. I sent her back to neurosurgeon who said all is well. She has ongoing symptoms with major weight loss and inability to swallow well. An esophogram showed normal UES and LES but zero peristalsis in the esophagus.

I think it's a neuro problem and am guessing related to her previous surgery/cervical disease but maybe it's vagal dysfunction? I am really confused and patient is frustrated. She cannot get into a neurologist easily, has been trying for months. Ideas?

I can relate.

MoAlpha 10-28-21 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22287471)

Wow. Baptism by fire.

I started with intercollegiate races, which were very low key, even though there were some big names. After that I rode a lot of Weds night club crits, which had lots of yelling, but little carnage. I don’t remember having much trouble staying with the B pack, but learned enough to be spooked by the idea of a big boy, criterium, mainly because I knew I was too cautious and lacked the strength to get back on, corner after corner. Therefore, I never got my 10 sanctioned races, or what ever it was, to advance to Cat 3 because there weren’t enough local road races in the year or so before I started med school and had to go back to running.

MoAlpha 10-28-21 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22287453)
Nice that he gave you a couple of extra inches of space to keep you comfortable.

My experienced friends bumped, leaned, and grabbed onto me on training rides. It was helpful, although I never really mixed up in a race.

bampilot06 10-28-21 04:42 PM

I think my crashes speak for effort level. :innocent:

bampilot06 10-28-21 04:45 PM

Trek emonda Al5 with 105 is on sale now for 2 grand. Working with my buddy at trek to see if he can get me a 58, if the answer is yes, my Gently used C2 will be available for purchase.

Eric F 10-28-21 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22287520)
My experienced friends bumped, leaned, and grabbed onto me on training rides. It was helpful, although I never really mixed up in a race.

Yep. Knowing how to keep calm and in control of your machine while bumping body parts at high speed is an important skill set for those who want to play the sprint monkey game. I loved that game. I no longer have the fitness or testicular fortitude for those games now.