Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   You know you are a hard-core commuter if... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=754113)

Cyclaholic 07-24-11 10:13 PM

"inner tube" is a semi-permanent fixture on your grocery list.

ScottNotBombs 07-24-11 10:13 PM

You know which people on the MUP will wave to you and which won't.

You also know what kind of bike they ride.

Igo 07-24-11 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cyclaholic (Post 12981095)
You see the hottest chick in the world in a skimpy little outfit riding a really well set up commuter bike.... and you only check out the bike.

and I thought for sure I was a commuter.

vtjim 07-25-11 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by CJ C (Post 12977242)
when a coworker sees you drive into the parking lot then later that day ask if you got a new car even though you had it for 5 years.

Originally Posted by ScottNotBombs (Post 12975659)
Your plates are expired for months before you notice.

My inspection lapsed for 2 months. I noticed the month on the sticker and my brain took several minutes to process that the sticker said "10" and it was now "12." :D

And my 2006 Tacoma, picked up in October of 2005, has 13,000 miles on it and still smells new.

You're also a hard-core commuter when you're riding your bicycle on surfaces that are so icy, even pedestrians avoid them.

thenomad 07-25-11 07:39 AM

You recognize all the homeless guys in the area because they wave to you every morning. (luckily they dont recognize you without your helmet)

making 07-25-11 07:42 AM

Dont change your oil every three months. It is a trick.

Originally Posted by ScottNotBombs (Post 12981092)
I asked my friend thats a mechanic. He said the 3 month rule is a scam and oil sitting in a motor is no different than the oil sitting on a shelf in a warehouse. I don't know if it's true or not, but I didn't drive my car for 2 years once and got tired of changing the oil. I just changed it before I drove it again. People buy motors from junk yards all the time and there's no way those get oil changes.

paul2432 07-25-11 08:34 AM

. . . Your commute goes from 12 miles each way to less than one mile and you are not happy (and gain 10 lbs).

. . . You know the pleasure of getting home in 1 hour during a rush hour snow storm, when drivers are taking 2-3 hours to do the same distance.

. . . People stop asking "did ride today?" when the weather is really bad, because they already know you did.

. . . You are upset when the forecast was -20F and it is only -16F.

Paul

Surrealdeal 07-25-11 09:00 AM

If locals out walking their dogs wave at you like they know you and you're 20 miles from home.

Booger1 07-25-11 09:10 AM

When you can't remember when there was no such thing as "hard core commuter".....

BSB 07-25-11 10:18 AM

... when you pass all the roadies on their super-light carbon fibre race bikes because you put in more miles than they do.

Ira B 07-25-11 10:28 AM

Or when a "serious" cyclist friend finds out you ride and asks if you want to go on a "serious" bike ride of 15 miles if the weather is ok, then you laugh at the look on his face when you tell him you do that every day, all year round, rain or shine. :D

xtrajack 07-25-11 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by paul2432 (Post 12982555)
. . . Your commute goes from 12 miles each way to less than one mile and you are not happy (and gain 10 lbs).

. . . You know the pleasure of getting home in 1 hour during a rush hour snow storm, when drivers are taking 2-3 hours to do the same distance.

. . . People stop asking "did ride today?" when the weather is really bad, because they already know you did.

. . . You are upset when the forecast was -20F and it is only -16F.

Paul

That's the one.

Cyclomania 07-25-11 11:40 AM

You can't remember the last time you drove.

Originally Posted by Cyclaholic (Post 12981126)
"inner tube" is a semi-permanent fixture on your grocery list.

Buy some Mr.Tuffy Tire Liners and Forget about purchasing an inner tube for years to come!

Surrealdeal 07-25-11 12:06 PM

You shout at the television during the Tour de France, "Yeah, but try that with a rack and panniers!"

Antaresia 07-25-11 01:50 PM

walking anywhere on the left side of a road, against traffic, feels very wrong...

steve-in-kville 07-25-11 02:24 PM

These are great!! Another favorite of mine... the uppity-up office ladies ask (behind my back, of course) when I am getting my license back.

In our area of rural/suburban Pa, I guess everyone who rides a bike (and not dressed in lycra) has a DUI.

Cyclomania 07-25-11 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville (Post 12984792)
These are great!! Another favorite of mine... the uppity-up office ladies ask (behind my back, of course) when I am getting my license back.

In our area of rural/suburban Pa, I guess everyone who rides a bike (and not dressed in lycra) has a DUI.

Ignorant Iraq/Afghan war supporters, arrgh!

...When buying gas you feel the urge to blow chunks.

KD5NRH 07-25-11 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Surrealdeal (Post 12983952)
You shout at the television during the Tour de France, "Yeah, but try that with a rack and panniers!"

I beat my commute time record this weekend carrying a heavier-than-usual load. 8:45 for the 2.28mi run with a long slow climb at the start and a big short climb near the end. Never got it under 10 with a load before.

Laptop, tablet, uniform, a book, towel and various toiletries in two backpack-turned-homebuilt-panniers on a Trek 7100. I'm guessing the 8MPH tailwind helped a bit, but it's usually dead calm or 3-5MPH tailwind for that part.

twobadfish 07-25-11 02:58 PM

--- When the only contents of your desk drawers are tubes, tools, brake pads, granola bars, water bottles, a change of clothes, and headphones.

--- You wash your bike shorts in the bathroom sink

--- You have at least one stretch of road you are continuously thinking about how to get faster on

--- You get bored and start commuting blind folded

Originally Posted by justadude (Post 12973885)
based on familiarity, you anticipate quirks and variations in the road surface without even looking

+1

CigTech 07-25-11 04:24 PM

When you do go to buy gas and find out it's $1.25 more a gallon then the last time.

silmarillion 07-25-11 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ira B (Post 12975447)
You save a lot of money on gas by commuting by bike, then spend most of it on bike stuff. :D :p

HAHAHA! Too funny, I went to REI yesterday to get a couple pair of new bike shorts...My wife commented that she knew now where the gas money was going!

colleen c 07-25-11 05:22 PM

When you cannot afford to fix your car because you spend all your money on bike related goodies.......yeah, that's me :)

silmarillion 07-25-11 05:33 PM

Overheard at a company meeting...

Boss; Oh By the way, any idea who keeps filling the suggestion box with cards pointing out new ways to justify putting a shower in at work? :o ;)

silmarillion 07-25-11 05:45 PM

You frequent the commuting and advocacy threads on bikeforums more than any of the others...

BSB 07-25-11 07:21 PM

... you have no idea how much gas costs, and don't care.

... you build your own panniers from a couple backpacks (this one's for KD5NRH... oh, and 73 OM!).

... you post in the "You know you are a hard-core commuter if..." thread. ;)