Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   New Cycling Computer - Beginner (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1257624)

biscuit1 08-28-22 03:12 AM

New Cycling Computer - Beginner

Hello there,

my real name is Vlad and I've been recently improving into cycling since last year. Recently I've been loving climbs, riding solo or with a friend/group and decided to upgrade my training by buying a GPS computer.

So the deal is: a lot of people recommend wahoo element roam/wahoo element bolt, but my question is what's the deal with those computers? They have a loot of features that you won't really use that much. What's the biggest difference between a wahoo computer(ex: element roam) and a bryton rider computer(ex: 420)? Don't they show the same data?

I'm trying to buy a computer so it will help me train better, gain data. I'm looking to get a help with cadence sensor and BPM.

I don't want to invest now $100 and after 1 year to invest another $200 or $300. I want to get one that will last me at least 2 years.

P.S: I've done my research: asked a few people what they recommend, asked on facebook groups but still got pleenty of questions.

Peace! :giver:

Kai Winters 08-28-22 04:50 AM

they all work generally as described and generally last quite a few years...depending on a variety of things.
make a list of what you want to display, record, etc.
decide on how much you can afford or want to pay
watch, read reviews and do side by side comparisons...lots of info out there
when you have decided on a brand, model or two post them here for member feedback along with your needs, desires, etc.
generalized questions usually get answers that are too general for more than basic info.

biscuit1 08-28-22 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kai Winters (Post 22626614)
they all work generally as described and generally last quite a few years...depending on a variety of things.
make a list of what you want to display, record, etc.
decide on how much you can afford or want to pay
watch, read reviews and do side by side comparisons...lots of info out there
when you have decided on a brand, model or two post them here for member feedback along with your needs, desires, etc.
generalized questions usually get answers that are too general for more than basic info.

I've done that.

By the way: Is it worth to buy it new from a shop or buy it new from a person? I'm asking this cause I want to see how important the warranty is.

Thanks!

TakingMyTime 08-28-22 06:52 AM

One thing about a lot of computers is that they offer a lot of features that really aren't presented to the user unless you're using a HRM (Heart Rate Monitor), some sort of Power Meter and a sensor to track your cadence. Almost any level model will give you the basics i.e. speed, distance, time etc.

I can only speak to Garmin but if you buy new I believe they have a 1 year replacement guarantee if anything breaks. The thing about buying one second hand is that you just don't know how much it's been used, how many times those buttons have been pushed. But, if you can find a nice model that looks to be in great condition I think it's a safe bet that it was well taken care of. If you can find someone selling a used one and is including the mount and sensors that is even better.

biscuit1 08-28-22 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime (Post 22626698)
One thing about a lot of computers is that they offer a lot of features that really aren't presented to the user unless you're using a HRM (Heart Rate Monitor), some sort of Power Meter and a sensor to track your cadence. Almost any level model will give you the basics i.e. speed, distance, time etc.

I can only speak to Garmin but if you buy new I believe they have a 1 year replacement guarantee if anything breaks. The thing about buying one second hand is that you just don't know how much it's been used, how many times those buttons have been pushed. But, if you can find a nice model that looks to be in great condition I think it's a safe bet that it was well taken care of. If you can find someone selling a used one and is including the mount and sensors that is even better.

I'm looking on a marketplace where they sell it at a better price, almost %40 off but without warranty. They bring they computers from other country, cheaper and sells it here. It's brand new but doesn't have warranty, which is a bit frustrating. Should I risk to buy one, without warranty?

TakingMyTime 08-28-22 09:37 AM

I'm not sure where you're located but you might want to find out where the unit came from because sometimes the mapping features are country or region specific. I can't advise you to buy anything used, that's totally up to you. Many times an older unit might have a battery that does not retain a charge as long as a new one might. If you do go the used route I would research all the functions the unit is supposed to have and make sure you can test it before buying.

Bald Paul 08-28-22 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by biscuit1 (Post 22626845)
I'm looking on a marketplace where they sell it at a better price, almost %40 off but without warranty. They bring they computers from other country, cheaper and sells it here. It's brand new but doesn't have warranty, which is a bit frustrating. Should I risk to buy one, without warranty?

NO! Please, do yourself a favor and don't go that route. It's wrong, just like the maps will be on the unit you end up buying so cheap.

Inusuit 08-28-22 12:39 PM

I bought a basic Garmin on Ebay (private seller). It would randomly turn off my Bontrager headlight. I called Garmin customer service. They took back the Garmin 25 and sent me a reconditioned Garmin 130 at no charge. Obviously I had no warranty on the original unit. The new one has features I don't use, or know how to use. All I want is how fast and how far. So I think this depends on what features you want on the computer. I don't need maps (I know where I am and where I'm going), power meter, cadence prompts, etc.

Steve B. 08-28-22 01:54 PM

Why don't you tell us what features of the Wahoos you don't need, and we can then guide you towards a device suited to your needs. Maybe give a Garmin Edge Explore 2 a look at, generally very reliable model, doesn't do all the performance bells and whistles used by athletes in training, etc..... just a good basic GPS unit that does navigation very well,

Kai Winters 08-28-22 03:14 PM

Buy from a reliable source...if not...meh, don't care

rm -rf 08-30-22 04:32 PM

A lot of riders like GPS bike computers. These do navigation from a downloaded route, so that it's easy to follow complicated routes in unfamiliar areas. And they record the ride, so it can be uploaded for analysis or for social media like Strava.

I ride with another rider that doesn't do heartrate or cadence. The turn-by-turn prompts keep him on course, and the Garmin's elevation chart display shows the hill profile just ahead, and what's after the crest of the hill. It's great for pacing and for not worrying about a big climb ahead. He does do strava uploads with this, and likes to see how his times compare to his previous efforts on the "segment" climbs.

Darth Lefty 08-30-22 06:06 PM

A GPS now does a lot of things, sort of like a smart phone but with only one app it's really good at. It goes way beyond recording GPS tracks of rides or navigation. It does those things but can also receive from your power meter and heart rate monitor. And then if you get involved with the app it will talk to the website and do health planning things with your exercise schedule and your diet.

Some of the things seem redundant with the smart phone or are prevented on the smart phone only by software. Strava used to read power meters, for instance. The smart phone also has a much fancier screen that takes a lot more battery and doesn't like being out in the hot sun, and it eats even more battery when it's navigating

The Chemist 09-05-22 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by biscuit1 (Post 22626595)
Hello there,

my real name is Vlad and I've been recently improving into cycling since last year. Recently I've been loving climbs, riding solo or with a friend/group and decided to upgrade my training by buying a GPS computer.

So the deal is: a lot of people recommend wahoo element roam/wahoo element bolt, but my question is what's the deal with those computers? They have a loot of features that you won't really use that much. What's the biggest difference between a wahoo computer(ex: element roam) and a bryton rider computer(ex: 420)? Don't they show the same data?

I'm trying to buy a computer so it will help me train better, gain data. I'm looking to get a help with cadence sensor and BPM.

I don't want to invest now $100 and after 1 year to invest another $200 or $300. I want to get one that will last me at least 2 years.

P.S: I've done my research: asked a few people what they recommend, asked on facebook groups but still got pleenty of questions.

Peace! :giver:

Bryton Rider 420 is a great computer. Inexpensive, fully functional, and fantastic battery life. The only reason I'm not still using mine (I gave it to my daughter) is that it's not compatible with the Garmin Varia radar, so I replaced it with a Bryton 750.