Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Advocacy & Safety (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Now This is a Maddeningly Light Sentence (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1166753)

Paul Barnard 02-19-19 07:19 AM

Now This is a Maddeningly Light Sentence

KAKE.com | Wichita, Kansas News, Weather, Sports - Hutchinson man sentenced in killing of cyclist

The young punk weaponized his vehicle and purposefully ran over the cyclist. How is that any different from using a firearm to kill someone? This one is a head scratcher.

jon c. 02-19-19 07:22 AM

That's crazy. He should get at least twenty.

ridelikeaturtle 02-19-19 07:25 AM

He's white, I'm guessing the victim here is brown, it's Kansas... not a surprise.

rseeker 02-19-19 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle (Post 20801891)
He's white, I'm guessing the victim here is brown, it's Kansas... not a surprise.

VIctim = Jose Lopez, so quite possibly brown.

Only two years is indefensible.

Maelochs 02-19-19 08:22 AM

A little investigation shows that the victim was out on bail awaiting sentencing of r beating the young driver's mother. The young driver was out with a friend getting cigarette and saw the older man riding on the street and decided to get "justice" for himself.

While that does not excuse the actions, it does provide much-needed context. This was not a case of some racist punk deciding to snuff out some "mud person" on a whim. This was a case of an teenager with poor impulse control and a bad temper acting out.

Still deserves a stiffer sentence. Vigilantism is not acceptable... and anyone who chooses to do the crime, should have to do the time.

Man admits to intentionally running down Hutchinson cyclist - News - The Hutchinson News - Hutchinson, KS
Lukone gets 2 years for 2nd-degree murder conviction
KAKE.com | Wichita, Kansas News, Weather, Sports - Driver charged with murder in death of Hutchinson bicycle rider

Daniel4 02-19-19 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 20801878)
KAKE.com | Wichita, Kansas News, Weather, Sports - Hutchinson man sentenced in killing of cyclist

The young punk weaponized his vehicle and purposefully ran over the cyclist. How is that any different from using a firearm to kill someone? This one is a head scratcher.

Here is a comment posted following the article justifying the driver to being a self-appointed public defender:

"This is funny. You guys have no idea why he ran this guy over. That man you guys are defending beat this kids mom almost to death. I don't necessarily blame him to tell you the truth! Please learn all the details. Could he have went about it differently? Yes. That's why he is getting two years. What would you have done in that situation? Don't answer that because you don't know. Nobody does."

Everybody has his excuse for bad driving.

Paul Barnard 02-19-19 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel4 (Post 20802084)
Here is a comment posted following the article justifying the driver to being a self-appointed public defender:

"This is funny. You guys have no idea why he ran this guy over. That man you guys are defending beat this kids mom almost to death. I don't necessarily blame him to tell you the truth! Please learn all the details. Could he have went about it differently? Yes. That's why he is getting two years. What would you have done in that situation? Don't answer that because you don't know. Nobody does."

Everybody has his excuse for bad driving.

Good catch. That puts a bit of a different paint job on the matter.

JoeyBike 02-19-19 12:17 PM

Crimes of passion do fall under some strange sentencing guidelines.

scott967 02-19-19 05:43 PM

So I guess the safety message is don't ride your bike around the area where you recently beat someone with a pipe.

scott s.

CB HI 02-19-19 06:46 PM

The victim mother is white, Jose Lopez is brown, ... not a surprise.
See how well your BS racist claims work!

rydabent 02-20-19 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 20801975)
A little investigation shows that the victim was out on bail awaiting sentencing of r beating the young driver's mother. The young driver was out with a friend getting cigarette and saw the older man riding on the street and decided to get "justice" for himself.

While that does not excuse the actions, it does provide much-needed context. This was not a case of some racist punk deciding to snuff out some "mud person" on a whim. This was a case of an teenager with poor impulse control and a bad temper acting out.

Still deserves a stiffer sentence. Vigilantism is not acceptable... and anyone who chooses to do the crime, should have to do the time.

Man admits to intentionally running down Hutchinson cyclist - News - The Hutchinson News - Hutchinson, KS
Lukone gets 2 years for 2nd-degree murder conviction
KAKE.com | Wichita, Kansas News, Weather, Sports - Driver charged with murder in death of Hutchinson bicycle rider

He should have been tried for premeditated murder.

Lemond1985 02-20-19 07:23 AM

Ted Bundy should have used a car to kill his victims. He'd probably be back on the streets by now if he had, especially if he wore a seatbelt, used turn signals, and claimed the sun was in his eyes. :(

downhillmaster 02-20-19 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by scott967 (Post 20802937)
So I guess the safety message is don't ride your bike around the area where you recently beat someone with a pipe.

scott s.

Words to live by my man.

ridelikeaturtle 02-20-19 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by CB HI (Post 20803037)
The victim mother is white, Jose Lopez is brown, ... not a surprise.
See how well your BS racist claims work!

A white kid confessing to murdering a brown man and getting a two year sentence because <reasons> is institutional racism.
Pointing out institutional racism is not racist.
Thinking it's more acceptable for someone to be murdered because they were out on bail awaiting sentencing for another crime? I'm not sure what kind of misguided rationalization to call that.

86az135i 02-20-19 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle (Post 20803862)
A white kid confessing to murdering a brown man and getting a two year sentence because <reasons> is institutional racism.
Thinking it's more acceptable for someone to be murdered because they were out on bail awaiting sentencing for another crime? I'm not sure what kind of misguided rationalization to call that.

Or maybe instead of assuming most in Kansas are racist, maybe understand that the kid had motive to hurt this guy not because of his color but because of his actions.

Maelochs 02-20-19 10:52 AM

Generally i avoid stirring the pot but every now and then I see something so ridiculous, so far from any semblance of sense .... I know I must be reading Bike Forum....

A person committing a crime of passion, assaulting the man who badly beat the perpetrator's mother the day before, is not a racist, regardless of the range of skin tones potentially involved.

Are you arguing that only people of a certain skin tone care about their mothers?

And a teenaged male, 17 years of age, seething with testosterone, which causes aggressive behavior, and filled with hatred because he watched his mother get beat, enraged to see the batterer out on bail, and finding himself behind the wheel of a motor vehicle when the batterer was on a bike and thus vulnerable---the ten probably was too intimidated to take on the abuser face to face, but now, he had the upper hand .... and note that the teen had a couple of legal scrapes for pot and underaged drinking (pretty normal) but no history of violence at all ..... Notice there was no mention of shade of skin? The story has Nothing to do with race.

The only racist is the person seeking out a racist explanation, and calling everyone else a "racist."

Which is why I am not a racist for pointing out that you are.

Right? Becasue that actually wasn't what happened here ... but like the fake "racism," trope, this is another of your fabrications designed to show how superior You are.

As I explained above, the judge reacted to the facts---the driver had just watched the abuser abuse his mother, the driver was 17, and at an age when there is a Lot more at play than cold, emotionless reading of laws, the driver had no history of violence ... the sentence was light because of what smart people recognize as 'mitigating circumstances.

I am sure if someone sexually assaulted you, and you attacked that person from behind a few days later, you would want the prior act and your otherwise spotless record of non-violent racism to be weighed.

I have already stated that I think the driver should have gotten the minimum, and early release with good behavior. I assume that with a two-year sentence the kid goes from a local ail to a real prison ... and once that happens a ton of damage is done in a hurry. Pretty horrible environment, and it warps people (well ... based on the many convicts I have known pretty well.) Usually local jails have 364-day max, so any sentence of a year or over means the convict goes to prison.

But to ascribe the light sentence to racism, or to deliberately refuse to understand why the sentence was light ... Willful ignorance is the most dangerous disease affecting this nation.

ridelikeaturtle 02-20-19 11:14 AM

[nevermind].

Leisesturm 02-20-19 12:11 PM

The driver that ran over the guy (killing him) that beat his mother might be racist, or not, but the system that gave him a two year sentence for doing it most definitely is. Had the other guy been white as well he would have gotten six years, and maybe after four years served he would be paroled. Denial of the existence of institutional racism is usually quite strident and it always gives me pause. Maybe if we were less quick to jump to our feet insisting there is no such thing operating when all the evidence says there is, maybe if we were less defensive, maybe it would no longer be an issue.

Paul Barnard 02-20-19 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 20804027)
Generally i avoid stirring the pot but every now and then I see something so ridiculous, so far from any semblance of sense .... I know I must be reading Bike Forum....

A person committing a crime of passion, assaulting the man who badly beat the perpetrator's mother the day before, is not a racist, regardless of the range of skin tones potentially involved.

Are you arguing that only people of a certain skin tone care about their mothers?

And a teenaged male, 17 years of age, seething with testosterone, which causes aggressive behavior, and filled with hatred because he watched his mother get beat, enraged to see the batterer out on bail, and finding himself behind the wheel of a motor vehicle when the batterer was on a bike and thus vulnerable---the ten probably was too intimidated to take on the abuser face to face, but now, he had the upper hand .... and note that the teen had a couple of legal scrapes for pot and underaged drinking (pretty normal) but no history of violence at all ..... Notice there was no mention of shade of skin? The story has Nothing to do with race.

The only racist is the person seeking out a racist explanation, and calling everyone else a "racist."

Which is why I am not a racist for pointing out that you are.
Right? Becasue that actually wasn't what happened here ... but like the fake "racism," trope, this is another of your fabrications designed to show how superior You are.

As I explained above, the judge reacted to the facts---the driver had just watched the abuser abuse his mother, the driver was 17, and at an age when there is a Lot more at play than cold, emotionless reading of laws, the driver had no history of violence ... the sentence was light because of what smart people recognize as 'mitigating circumstances.

I am sure if someone sexually assaulted you, and you attacked that person from behind a few days later, you would want the prior act and your otherwise spotless record of non-violent racism to be weighed.

I have already stated that I think the driver should have gotten the minimum, and early release with good behavior. I assume that with a two-year sentence the kid goes from a local ail to a real prison ... and once that happens a ton of damage is done in a hurry. Pretty horrible environment, and it warps people (well ... based on the many convicts I have known pretty well.) Usually local jails have 364-day max, so any sentence of a year or over means the convict goes to prison.

But to ascribe the light sentence to racism, or to deliberately refuse to understand why the sentence was light ... Willful ignorance is the most dangerous disease affecting this nation.

Almost without fail, the ones that are so quick to accuse someone of racism are doing it from a vanilla enclave. Weird the way that works out.

downhillmaster 02-20-19 12:59 PM

This is the only example of ignorance and racism in this entire thread.

ridelikeaturtle 02-20-19 01:06 PM

Assertion: institutional racism in Kansas (USA). Evidence: white guy gets 2 year jail sentence for admitted murder of brown man on bike. QED

ridelikeaturtle 02-20-19 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by downhillmaster (Post 20804297)
This is the only example of ignorance and racism in this entire thread.

Except it's not.

A lot to unpack here, and none of it is worth unpacking. The "racism" in this thread is directly in the denial of "institutional racism" in this sentencing for murder. It's been a problem in the US for decades.

Lemond1985 02-20-19 01:12 PM

Sorry, couldn't resist.

https://bapple2286.files.wordpress.c.../07/img492.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a887164346.jpg

Paul Barnard 02-20-19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle (Post 20804324)
Except it's not.

A lot to unpack here, and none of it is worth unpacking. The "racism" in this thread is directly in the denial of "institutional racism" in this sentencing for murder. It's been a problem in the US for decades.

And as bad as it is over here, our blacks aren't fleeing to the vanilla enclave that is Ireland. Why is it that you think your country's population is just 1% black? Obviously it's because they aren't welcome over there right?

86az135i 02-20-19 02:28 PM

There have been many injustices when looking at convictions and sentencing. No one is saying racism doesn't exist in the justice system. But there is no hard evidence this is the case here. You can't just say well he only got two years prison, the justice system must be racist, and because Kansas. Quite a few mitigating factors. I've seen plenty of 'misjustices' where there was no difference in race between the victim and perp.

If anything socio-economic status seems to be the larger factor then race. If you're rich, you can **** a 3 year old and get no jail time. You can run over people drunk and kill and get rehab.