Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Is standing while biking bad or good? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1238270)

ggbo951a 09-07-21 07:14 AM

Is standing while biking bad or good?

Few months ago I posted that I had some ball pain when prolonged biking while sitting on the seat. I resorted to standing most of the time since then 1-2 hours of biking 2-3 times a day. Now I feel my knees are experiencing some pressure, ever-slight discomfort while pedalling while standing and I am worried whether it has affected my knee strength. In general is standing all the time and pedalling while standing a bad or ok? Thanks.,

Litespud 09-07-21 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by ggbo951a (Post 22218813)
Few months ago I posted that I had some ball pain when prolonged biking while sitting on the seat. I resorted to standing most of the time since then 1-2 hours of biking 2-3 times a day. Now I feel my knees are experiencing some pressure, ever-slight discomfort while pedalling while standing and I am worried whether it has affected my knee strength. In general is standing all the time and pedalling while standing a bad or ok? Thanks.,

doing it all the time sounds like torture, but it’s a valid way of (1) temporarily relieving saddle pressure, and (2) generating more torque for sprinting or climbing. If it’s not something you do regularly, it’s going to use different muscles and hurt a bit. You need to practice and find the optimum gear to get the most out of it and not stress your knees

Milton Keynes 09-07-21 07:24 AM

I occasionally stand up when I feel like I need to stretch my legs or readjust my butt on the saddle. But I don't make a habit of pedaling while standing up.

Every time this question comes up I'm reminded of when I was a kid there was another kid who had no seat on his bike and he rode the thing standing up all the time.

10 Wheels 09-07-21 07:27 AM

Feels so Good the Stand and stretch every thing.
Miss that when Trike Riding.

Rdmonster69 09-07-21 07:31 AM

I stand to relieve pressure/ stretch and find myself doing it more as I get deeper into the ride. I can't imagine doing it the majority of the ride tho.

Iride01 09-07-21 07:34 AM

Do people that stand up all day at their work have bad knees? I stood at my last job all day long and I don't have bad knees.

Same thing applies to sitting or standing, don't constantly push a hard gear. Make sure your foot alignment on the pedal doesn't need some adjustment between your sitting position and standing position. Especially if your cleats don't allow much float.

My only gripe about standing is that it seems to use more of my energy. Probably a lot of that is I don't stand on my bike often enough to have the right muscles for it.

ofajen 09-07-21 07:35 AM

There are several types of standing bikes that are based on only standing. Among those, most have a modified pedal stroke, rather than just circular chainrings.

If you going to stand all the time on circular rings, you would probably be better off with shorter cranks to make things easier on your knees. I think that is typically the case for standing bikes with circular rings.

OTOH, it is generally beneficial to spend some parts of a ride standing. Periodic breaks out of the saddle help reduce saddle discomfort. I ride single speed and I think the large amount of time out of the saddle is why it’s more comfortable for me.

Otto

Nachoman 09-07-21 07:38 AM

I recently cracked a saddle rail and had to pedal the last 15 miles home while standing. I survived.

Flip Flop Rider 09-07-21 07:40 AM

it's good for a timely break from the saddle, or up hills

be careful doing it downhill as your body momentum is moving forward and a sudden stop or slow down could dump you over the top (I'm sure of this!)

delbiker1 09-07-21 07:51 AM

It is certainly not doing your knees any good. Like others have posted, I stand to stretch the lower back, glutes, legs, etc. Standing most of the time is something I would not like, nor would I do so unless it was imperative due to an issue with the drivetrain. As I age, I find it is good to stop and get off the bike more often, even if it is only for numerous seconds. I have to stop more often anyway due to having to empty the bladder. It really sounds like you have a fit problem or the saddle just is not right for you.

Phil_gretz 09-07-21 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by delbiker1 (Post 22218858)
It really sounds like you have a fit problem or the saddle just is not right for you.

This ^. Fit and saddle adjustment. The "pain" that you describe doesn't make sense to me. That's not a part of the anatomy that should be in contact with the bicycle at all. PG

Troul 09-07-21 08:25 AM

I cant stand sitting for the entire time of a long ride without a short change in position.

mstateglfr 09-07-21 08:28 AM

There is an old guy who rides RAGBRAI every year who doesnt even have a saddle. He stands all the time now and his current bike is designed to not have a seatpost. I heard his original bike broke years ago, he rode standing, and that became his thing. Who knows.

Anyways, yeah I stand to climb. I do that on most all hills as its what I prefer and comes directly from when I was a kid and rode BMX all over town. I dont stand when riding flat or downhill because- why?

Standing for most of the time is clearly an issue of fit. Thats just not how cycling is done- you have 3 contact points with the bike and you just eliminated one of them. Go get fit properly.

Troul 09-07-21 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22218918)
There is an old guy who rides RAGBRAI every year who doesnt even have a saddle. He stands all the time now and his bike is designed to not have a seatpost. I heard it broke years ago, he rode standing, and that became his thing. Who knows.

Anyways, yeah I stand to climb. I do that on most all hills as its what I prefer and comes directly from when I was a kid and rode BMX all over town. I dont stand when riding flat or downhill because- why?

Standing for most of the time is clearly an issue of fit. Thats just not how cycling is done- you have 3 contact points with the bike and you just eliminated one of them. Go get fit properly.

whuh?

mstateglfr 09-07-21 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 22218958)
whuh?

Fair point.
The original bike broke. He since has a new bike.

SJX426 09-07-21 09:16 AM

Chris Horner’s standing climbing style wins him the Vuelta | Tour de France on TV

livedarklions 09-07-21 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by delbiker1 (Post 22218858)
It is certainly not doing your knees any good. Like others have posted, I stand to stretch the lower back, glutes, legs, etc. Standing most of the time is something I would not like, nor would I do so unless it was imperative due to an issue with the drivetrain. As I age, I find it is good to stop and get off the bike more often, even if it is only for numerous seconds. I have to stop more often anyway due to having to empty the bladder. It really sounds like you have a fit problem or the saddle just is not right for you.

I use an elliptical machine for several hours at a time on high resistance, and I don't develop knee problems. For all we know, this might actually be strengthening his knees.

ClydeClydeson 09-07-21 09:41 AM

Staying in any one position over a long ride is going to be uncomfortable. The solution is to rotate through the different positions (seated, standing, hands on various parts of the bars) as you ride, as appropriate.

So stand up whenever your arsular region wants a break, or when your legs are getting tired, or when you are losing steam while going up a hill. Then sit back down, change hand positions, then stand up again when the ride dictates you will get the most benefit.

Generally speaking, if you switch from seated to standing you can shift to one or three cogs smaller (harder gears) because it is harder to spin fast smooth circles while standing.

pdlamb 09-07-21 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22218918)
There is an old guy who rides RAGBRAI every year who doesnt even have a saddle. He stands all the time now and his current bike is designed to not have a seatpost. I heard his original bike broke years ago, he rode standing, and that became his thing. Who knows.

Hope he inspects his cranks regularly for cracks.

AdkMtnMonster 09-07-21 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 22218910)
I cant stand sitting for the entire time of a long ride without a short change in position.

You’re not alone. No one can stand sitting; you’re either doing one or the other. If this scenario occurs during a race, though, it’s all about where you sit in the standings.

atwl77 09-07-21 10:14 AM

I haven't heard of the RAGBRAI guy... but then on a more recent note, there's this guy: Cyclist who rode 100 miles out of the saddle to repeat ride on Zwift to prove he wasn't lying | road.cc

PeteHski 09-07-21 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ggbo951a (Post 22218813)

In general there's nothing "bad" about standing and pedalling. But it's definitely not the best solution to your "ball pain"!
You might want to look into other solutions, of which there are potentially many. It could also be a sign of a medical issue. A mate of mine was suffering on the bike recently (ball pain again) and ended up being diagnosed with a bladder stone and enlarged prostate. Maybe get a check-up just to rule things like that out?

Troul 09-07-21 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster (Post 22219121)
You’re not alone. No one can stand sitting; you’re either doing one or the other. If this scenario occurs during a race, though, it’s all about where you sit in the standings.

bet if a poll was taken, the results would be on par to that assumption, but you'll have those oddball opinions that'll stand out too. Although, some may just sit it out & just be null to the topic, refraining from posting even.

Flip Flop Rider 09-07-21 11:58 AM

don't "stand", "dance" on the pedals

icemilkcoffee 09-07-21 12:32 PM

Not just a good idea. It should be mandatory:
https://road.cc/content/feature/how-...brittle-261478
Cycling is unfortunately a non weight-bearing exercise, and as such could lead to bone loss. So we need to consciously stand up and pedal every chance we get. Jumping is also a good bone loading exercise. So if you can bunny hop while standing- even better!