Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

WhyFi 10-02-21 07:28 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22253825)
1:1 ratio should be okay for the hills, but I'd spin out at something like 8 mph.

Is that a problem?

:p

I've a group ride tomorrow with some gravel, including some climbs... I've also gotta do a little bike maintenance today, so I'm giving serious consideration to taking off my 12-25t in favor of an 11-28t that I have sitting around.... but then I'd also need to re-size a new chain (though I'd skip the stripping and waxing - just not enough time today), and tweak the RD, etc...

Yeah, I don't know if it's worth that for that extra ~12% in gearing. :foo:

Maybe I should live that HTFU life, just like the bear.

seedsbelize2 10-02-21 07:30 AM

While sitting in the waiting room at Honda yesterday, I saw an older gentleman get out of his car with a neoprene sleeve on his knee. I mentioned it to the wife this morning, and she opened a drawer and got one out. I'm a new man*.

*I could barely walk the dogs, earlier.

seedsbelize2 10-02-21 07:33 AM

In other new man news, I started a 30 day plank challenge this morning. 20 seconds. Day 30 is 5 minutes. Is there any reason to hold a plank longer than five minutes?
The plank has been the wonder exercise for me throughout my career in life.

LAJ 10-02-21 07:37 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22253854)
Is that a problem?

:p

I've a group ride tomorrow with some gravel, including some climbs... I've also gotta do a little bike maintenance today, so I'm giving serious consideration to taking off my 12-25t in favor of an 11-28t that I have sitting around.... but then I'd also need to re-size a new chain (though I'd skip the stripping and waxing - just not enough time today), and tweak the RD, etc...

Yeah, I don't know if it's worth that for that extra ~12% in gearing. :foo:

Maybe I should live that HTFU life, just like the bear.

Add a couple links. I know you have some sitting in the bin. I jump from 25 to 28 all the time because it's sized for a 28. No other adjustment necessary.

Mojo31 10-02-21 07:45 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22253856)
While sitting in the waiting room at Honda yesterday, I saw an older gentleman get out of his car with a neoprene sleeve on his knee. I mentioned it to the wife this morning, and she opened a drawer and got one out. I'm a new man*.

*I could barely walk the dogs, earlier.

Been dealing with tennis elbow recently, and golf/riding makes it worse. Tried KT tape last weekend for a round of golf, and played pain free.

WhyFi 10-02-21 07:55 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22253864)
Add a couple links. I know you have some sitting in the bin. I jump from 25 to 28 all the time because it's sized for a 28. No other adjustment necessary.

I actually don't have any pins, though. I guess that I could run two quick links, but I'd rather not, though it's probably a non-issue.

I am getting close to EOL for these two chains, anyway, and I've learned from my mistake - I'll be sizing for a 28t on the next two, though I'll keep running the 12-25t 98% of the time.

LesterOfPuppets 10-02-21 08:01 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22253857)
In other new man news, I started a 30 day plank challenge this morning. 20 seconds. Day 30 is 5 minutes. Is there any reason to hold a plank longer than five minutes?
The plank has been the wonder exercise for me throughout my career in life.

I'll go 8 minutes total sometimes. 1 minute straight plank, 1 minute left arm/right leg plank, 1 minute straight, one minute right arm/left leg. Then repeat.

Usually I'll just do it once though, for 4 minutes.

LAJ 10-02-21 08:12 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22253888)
I actually don't have any pins, though. I guess that I could run two quick links, but I'd rather not, though it's probably a non-issue.

I am getting close to EOL for these two chains, anyway, and I've learned from my mistake - I'll be sizing for a 28t on the next two, though I'll keep running the 12-25t 98% of the time.

Ever since I found the quick links, I've saved all my pins in one place or another. I think I've used two. Hoarding for the sake of hoarding.

DougRNS 10-02-21 09:14 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22253813)
But you do recognize that it is an actor in a movie. :foo:

No

DougRNS 10-02-21 09:17 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22253856)
While sitting in the waiting room at Honda yesterday, I saw an older gentleman get out of his car with a neoprene sleeve on his knee. I mentioned it to the wife this morning, and she opened a drawer and got one out. I'm a new man*.

*I could barely walk the dogs, earlier.

Pot meet kettle.

I do that as well. Not really a ute any longer.

DougRNS 10-02-21 09:20 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22253895)
I'll go 8 minutes total sometimes. 1 minute straight plank, 1 minute left arm/right leg plank, 1 minute straight, one minute right arm/left leg. Then repeat.

Usually I'll just do it once though, for 4 minutes.

To the best of my recollection, I've never done a plank and I'm fine...

seedsbelize2 10-02-21 09:25 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22253899)
Ever since I found the quick links, I've saved all my pins in one place or another. I think I've used two. Hoarding for the sake of hoarding.

Better pins than complete bikes

seedsbelize2 10-02-21 09:29 AM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22253968)
To the best of my recollection, I've never done a plank and I'm fine...

Planks are up there with the runner's high. It might be what you're missing. Based on what I''ve read here for the past six months, you're not fine.

WhyFi 10-02-21 09:30 AM

I plank when I'm foam rolling my mighty guads. Does that count?

seedsbelize2 10-02-21 09:33 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22253895)
I'll go 8 minutes total sometimes. 1 minute straight plank, 1 minute left arm/right leg plank, 1 minute straight, one minute right arm/left leg. Then repeat.

Usually I'll just do it once though, for 4 minutes.

Does the off leg and arm get lifted for that minute? I have always preferred elbow planks.

genejockey 10-02-21 09:47 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22253821)
I don't have the legs for single speed gravel. At least, not with the terrain we have around here.

I could see single speed gravel in, say, Nebraska. Or Kansas. Or Florida.

genejockey 10-02-21 09:52 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22253857)
In other new man news, I started a 30 day plank challenge this morning. 20 seconds. Day 30 is 5 minutes. Is there any reason to hold a plank longer than five minutes?
The plank has been the wonder exercise for me throughout my career in life.

Maybe that's my problem. I've been treating life more like a hobby.

WhyFi 10-02-21 09:53 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22254004)
I could see single speed gravel in, say, Nebraska. Or Kansas. Or Florida.

It would totally work in western, and a lot of southern, MN, too. Hell, make that anywhere but within 30 miles or so of the eastern edge of MN.

BillyD 10-02-21 10:03 AM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22253968)
To the best of my recollection, I've never done a plank and I'm fine...

Oh?

DougRNS 10-02-21 10:32 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22254029)
Oh?


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22253983)
Planks are up there with the runner's high. It might be what you're missing. Based on what I''ve read here for the past six months, you're not fine.

should have said:
​​​​​​​https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8bb1769f07.jpg

DougRNS 10-02-21 10:32 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22254014)
Maybe that's my problem. I've been treating life more like a hobby.

Quality

Velo Vol 10-02-21 10:41 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22253811)
Of course, he kills the guy he "pardons" a few minutes later. So, he didn't really mean it.

Are you sure?

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22253822)
You tell us.

I say unmute. We want to hear the bear play.

Velo Vol 10-02-21 10:43 AM

Developing situation.

P.S. You'd think people in Missouri would know how to spell their state name. :foo:


Velo Vol 10-02-21 10:46 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22253857)
Is there any reason to hold a plank longer than five minutes?

To show off.

Trsnrtr 10-02-21 10:49 AM

Had to do a rain abort this morning. The sun is out now. :rolleyes:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:50 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.