Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

indyfabz 03-23-22 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22448012)
Below average Wordle day.

Had I started with the word I started with on Saturday I would have likely gotten a 2 today.

phrantic09 03-23-22 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22447958)
So this trip I have Richmond overnight, and a Norfolk overnight. Sounds awesome right, I can see my house from the airport parking lot, but itís all just a tease. Get in late and leave early, so If I do go home iíll successfully wake the family twice.

I thought about leaving The Ritchey in the mini van at the airport but see above where I said short over night.

Looking at next month, Whyfi you wonít have to be my Chauffeur, no Minnie for me, or phx.

Any ALB?

BillyD 03-23-22 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22447998)
Must be Wednesday. Retirees have to have cues like this to remember what day of the week it is.

Donít you hate that? :crash:

Bah Humbug 03-23-22 07:33 AM

Guess I'm joining the fad. Still getting the hang of it.

Wordle 277 6/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟨🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟨🟨⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Mojo31 03-23-22 07:36 AM

It's no longer a fad. It's now an addiction.

rjones28 03-23-22 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22447956)
None of us here have a problem, except maybe the Dougs.

Dougs donít do drugs.

Denial. We have denial.

ofajen 03-23-22 08:01 AM

Clearly Iím addicted, too.

Wordle 277 4/6

⬛⬛⬛🟨🟩
🟩⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Otto

bampilot06 03-23-22 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22448028)
Any ALB?

Negative. ATL, AUS, Windsorlocks, Albuquerque, Norfolk.

But I just dropped so trips so I will see what I can pick up.

bampilot06 03-23-22 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22447974)
I can stop anytime I want.

Speaking of which, time to ride.

Make sure you ride miles for those who canít.

Thats including me.

ls01 03-23-22 08:45 AM

Anyone use a Bryton computer? Looking @ one to replace my %$#%*$◊ Wahooey Roam. Having memory issues.

bampilot06 03-23-22 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22448170)
Anyone use a Bryton computer? Looking @ one to replace my %$#%*$◊ Wahooey Roam. Having memory issues.

Nope.

big john 03-23-22 08:50 AM

Wordle 277 3/6

🟨⬜🟨⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

seedsbelize2 03-23-22 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by maglia_grigia (Post 22447955)
Very much addicted at present.

Been flirting with road cycling for a few years and had an old bike that I got fixed up c. 2018. Did a few runs but nothing really stuck.

During lockdown I was at home with the kids during the day and managed to get a Wahoo Trainer on Ebay. Also got a 2nd hand basic Bianchi and sold my old bike.

I used the Wahoo for fitness and lord knows what kind of size I would have ballooned up to without it. However I rarely used my bike outdoors, preferring the convenience of a quick 20 or 30 minute spin to the hassle of getting changed and dodging traffic on the roads.

Well my exercise levels were ok - using the Wahoo 3 times most weeks - but my diet was not and despite a few crash diets to regain some control, my weight was often pushing 121kg (267 lbs) during much of 2021. I hated the thought of going out for a social occasion as I had so few clothes that fitted me and didn't want to go and buy new XXL stuff to wear. I had a big re-evaluation over Christmas period at the end of 2021 and realised I have to change my diet and lifestyle. Crash diets simply don't work long-term and after a few weeks I quickly go back to my old ways, and was even using exercise to justify eating whatever I wanted. I had to have a sustainable diet that I could stick to for ever and maintain a sensible calorie intake of between 1800 to 2500 calories each day.

Over Christmas I was using the Wahoo daily and realised via my Strava I was approaching 900km for the year. Not a lot, but this was built up with short lunchtime rides of 20 to 30 minutes I didn't quite make it to 900km, but finished the year strongly with some good rides. I set myself the realistic goal of cycling 2,000km throughout 2022. This could be managed by doing a 20 min cycle 5 times a week, so I would simply build up the habit of regular cycling and be disciplined enough not to miss too many days or fall behind.

Unfortunately we were away for the 1st and 2nd January without a bike, so fell a few KM behind. But I'm glad to say that by day 81 I am just about at the 800km mark! I have only missed a handful of days cycling (only 6 since the start of Feb) and am over 350km ahead of schedule for my 2000km target. I am now confident doing longer runs on the road and am getting out for a 30km or 40km cycle most weeks as well as a lot more outdoor cycling with the Wahoo only being used on wet weather days.

It's certainly frustrating when a guy clearly 20 years older than me nips past me on the road, but at this stage I am just happy getting miles accumulated and a bit of pace will come when my weight reduces. I have lost 10kg at this point (22 lbs). My initial target is another 11kg that will get me to 100kg - I'm certainly not out of the woods weight wise and bad habits diet wise can quickly creep back in. Longer term if I can really get the miles accumulated I would like to drop to 90kg. This would be the lightest I've been as an adult.

Strava

I read your user name as 'Magilla Gorilla'. Sorry. It won't happen again.

genejockey 03-23-22 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22447974)
I can stop anytime I want.

Speaking of which, time to ride.

So can I, but generally I stop when I return to where I started from.

genejockey 03-23-22 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22447956)
None of us here have a problem, except maybe the Dougs.

Dougs donít do drugs.

#NotAllDougs

My PCP would be mad at me if I didn't do at least two drugs.

seedsbelize2 03-23-22 10:05 AM

I have once again stopped recording my rides. Unless I'm on the mtb and want to record the route. I have, however, gone back to ground coffee in the morning. Espresso in the french press. It's good to keep changing things up, if only to stay alert.

genejockey 03-23-22 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by maglia_grigia (Post 22447955)
Very much addicted at present.

Been flirting with road cycling for a few years and had an old bike that I got fixed up c. 2018. Did a few runs but nothing really stuck.

During lockdown I was at home with the kids during the day and managed to get a Wahoo Trainer on Ebay. Also got a 2nd hand basic Bianchi and sold my old bike.

I used the Wahoo for fitness and lord knows what kind of size I would have ballooned up to without it. However I rarely used my bike outdoors, preferring the convenience of a quick 20 or 30 minute spin to the hassle of getting changed and dodging traffic on the roads.

Well my exercise levels were ok - using the Wahoo 3 times most weeks - but my diet was not and despite a few crash diets to regain some control, my weight was often pushing 121kg (267 lbs) during much of 2021. I hated the thought of going out for a social occasion as I had so few clothes that fitted me and didn't want to go and buy new XXL stuff to wear. I had a big re-evaluation over Christmas period at the end of 2021 and realised I have to change my diet and lifestyle. Crash diets simply don't work long-term and after a few weeks I quickly go back to my old ways, and was even using exercise to justify eating whatever I wanted. I had to have a sustainable diet that I could stick to for ever and maintain a sensible calorie intake of between 1800 to 2500 calories each day.

Over Christmas I was using the Wahoo daily and realised via my Strava I was approaching 900km for the year. Not a lot, but this was built up with short lunchtime rides of 20 to 30 minutes I didn't quite make it to 900km, but finished the year strongly with some good rides. I set myself the realistic goal of cycling 2,000km throughout 2022. This could be managed by doing a 20 min cycle 5 times a week, so I would simply build up the habit of regular cycling and be disciplined enough not to miss too many days or fall behind.

Unfortunately we were away for the 1st and 2nd January without a bike, so fell a few KM behind. But I'm glad to say that by day 81 I am just about at the 800km mark! I have only missed a handful of days cycling (only 6 since the start of Feb) and am over 350km ahead of schedule for my 2000km target. I am now confident doing longer runs on the road and am getting out for a 30km or 40km cycle most weeks as well as a lot more outdoor cycling with the Wahoo only being used on wet weather days.

It's certainly frustrating when a guy clearly 20 years older than me nips past me on the road, but at this stage I am just happy getting miles accumulated and a bit of pace will come when my weight reduces. I have lost 10kg at this point (22 lbs). My initial target is another 11kg that will get me to 100kg - I'm certainly not out of the woods weight wise and bad habits diet wise can quickly creep back in. Longer term if I can really get the miles accumulated I would like to drop to 90kg. This would be the lightest I've been as an adult.

Strava

Kudos!

One thing about cycling is that there's always somebody on the road who's older than you, and someone who's younger; someone who's fatter than you, and someone who's thinner; someone who's slower than you, and someone who's faster.

I've made it my goal to be the 'older, fatter, faster' rider to as many riders as possible. But there are still older, fatter, faster riders than me!

Mojo31 03-23-22 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22448265)
Kudos!

One thing about cycling is that there's always somebody on the road who's older than you, and someone who's younger; someone who's fatter than you, and someone who's thinner; someone who's slower than you, and someone who's faster.

I've made it my goal to be the 'older, fatter, faster' rider to as many riders as possible. But there are still older, fatter, faster riders than me!

And then there is the Larry Sellerz category.

phrantic09 03-23-22 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22448166)
Negative. ATL, AUS, Windsorlocks, Albuquerque, Norfolk.

But I just dropped so trips so I will see what I can pick up.

Good olí HartfordÖ

abshipp 03-23-22 11:02 AM

Just listed the old Trek for sale. Seems like I'm totally divesting from the 650b thing for now.

Whenever I feel like I want to sell something a good test for me is to clean it really well. I'll know whether or not I really want to get rid of it after it's clean.

Kind of a hard one with that old thing, it's a lovely and pretty bike but at the end of the day it's just too big for me. Plus I think I've ridden it maybe 6 times in the last year.

I'm keeping the really hard to find drivetrain parts and rack though ;).

I'll have another bike like it in the future but for now a full suspension MTB is calling...

datlas 03-23-22 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22448086)
It's no longer a fad. It's now an addiction.

Do we need a sub-thread for Wordle?!?

datlas 03-23-22 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22448168)
Make sure you ride miles for those who canít.

Thats including me.

Mission accomplished

abshipp 03-23-22 11:06 AM

Also, rain all day on my day off.

Just like last Wednesday :notamused:

genejockey 03-23-22 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22448284)
And then there is the Larry Sellerz category.

Younger, fatter, barer?

genejockey 03-23-22 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22448354)
Also, rain all day on my day off.

Just like last Wednesday :notamused:

I half-heard the weather prediction for this week, and thought it was supposed to be a warming trend through the week.

Yesterday it was in the high 70s at riding time (5-7PM), but I had to get to work early for a meeting so I didn't load the bike and gear in the car. I figured I'd ride in the garage yesterday and then today would be another warm riding afternoon.

BZZZZTTTT!!! WRONG!!!!! High 50s/low 60s at riding time. But at least I did bring my stuff today.