Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Interesting finds around the web (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=929230)

gycho77 08-17-16 04:47 PM


Originally Posted by 700wheel (Post 18992164)
IIf someone buys you the frame add another $50 or so for shipping in the USA.

I just ordered the frame, because I got my new address.:thumb:
So the total cost was $29.99

Stay tuned

taras0000 08-17-16 08:09 PM

Gycho, I really hope this frame doesn't net you a Darwin Award.

gycho77 08-18-16 04:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by taras0000 (Post 18992596)
Gycho, I really hope this frame doesn't net you a Darwin Award.

At least I am not alone, because more than 100 people bought their frame hahaha

BTW I just a got an email that the frame is shipped lol
Attachment 534650

700wheel 08-23-16 11:51 AM

USA Superbike from 1996
The revolutionary Project ?96 GT Superbike ? and its lasting impact on bicycle engineering | CyclingTips

Koogar 08-23-16 03:27 PM


Originally Posted by gycho77 (Post 18992996)
At least I am not alone, because more than 100 people bought their frame hahaha

BTW I just a got an email that the frame is shipped lol
Attachment 534650

I'm just catching up on reading and see that your seller link returns the message "no longer a registered user." And perhaps more worrisome, recent sales have included the intriguingly titled "New Wind-up Toys Dancing robot chain dance robot clockwork toy" and "Fashion Necklaces Unisex's Men Stainless Steel Cross Pendant Necklace Chain."

If it shows up, wear a helmet....

carleton 08-23-16 05:26 PM


Originally Posted by 700wheel (Post 19005378)

That's a great article...but they fail to mention that the bike was not very stiff. One rider of that bike mentioned that, "It was like riding a wet noodle."


Originally Posted by Koogar (Post 19005950)
I'm just catching up on reading and see that your seller link returns the message "no longer a registered user." And perhaps more worrisome, recent sales have included the intriguingly titled "New Wind-up Toys Dancing robot chain dance robot clockwork toy" and "Fashion Necklaces Unisex's Men Stainless Steel Cross Pendant Necklace Chain."

http://9thcivic.com/gallery/albums/p...en_Colbert.gif

I told you guys that it sounded too good to be true.

gycho77 08-24-16 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hahaha you guys are making me laugh
BTW I got an email that I don't have to worry about my order.
If I don't get the frame, I could just contact eBay or PayPal

gycho77 08-25-16 02:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Campagnolo track wheelset!!!
Now this my dream wheelset, because it's campy lol

Co1Ev 08-25-16 02:51 PM


Official UCI video on checking road bikes according to the rule book. Not quite sure exactly how much it differs in comparison to track bikes but I'm positive it can help out a few people, or at least be of interest to some :D

seau grateau 09-02-16 05:33 AM

Best jobs at the Olympics: track-cycling electric bike guy.

carleton 09-02-16 07:29 AM


Originally Posted by seau grateau (Post 19027478)

The craziest part is that the electric bike guy actually trains for this and warms up before the events.

The thing is, it's a hard job because you have to be robotic and get it right the same way every time. It's one of those, "You know they did a great job if you never notice them" types of jobs, like being a pro sports referee or umpire.

Hat-off to derny drivers everywhere :thumb:

I was a human derny for a keirin series one day at the track. I'll never do that again. Totally exhausting :D

gycho77 09-02-16 01:06 PM

UCI scraps 3:1ratio
UCI set to scrap '3:1 rule' limiting aero race bike design - Cycling Weekly

seau grateau 09-02-16 01:43 PM


Originally Posted by carleton (Post 19027641)
The craziest part is that the electric bike guy actually trains for this and warms up before the events.

The thing is, it's a hard job because you have to be robotic and get it right the same way every time. It's one of those, "You know they did a great job if you never notice them" types of jobs, like being a pro sports referee or umpire.

Hat-off to derny drivers everywhere :thumb:

I was a human derny for a keirin series one day at the track. I'll never do that again. Totally exhausting :D

Hahah, way too much pressure for me. I have my hands enough full just holding my line on warm-up laps.

carleton 09-02-16 01:58 PM


Originally Posted by gycho77 (Post 19028516)

That's big news. I know that a few of the higher-end track bikes (like the FES and Felt TK1) changed some of designs to meet that rule. And several TT bike manufacturers on the road/tri side as well.

This is big news

Hrothgar42 09-02-16 09:27 PM


Originally Posted by gycho77 (Post 19028516)

I'd better start saving up!

gycho77 09-03-16 12:27 AM

I can't wait to see more crazy track frames like old days.


BTW
I found a perfect way to warm up your body before a race
https://m.facebook.com/groups/428517...54520072292427

carleton 09-03-16 12:38 AM


Originally Posted by gycho77 (Post 19029613)
I can't wait to see more crazy track frames like old days.

That probably won't happen. I'm pretty sure that the UCI still requires a double triangle "diamond" frame which requires a top tube, a down tube, a seat tube, seat stays, and chain stays.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...0398ab4f02.jpg

Some of the bikes from the 90s left off one of the above.

No top tube or seat stay:

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5168...f6a2da5c_z.jpg

No down tube or seat stay:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/atta...lotusbike1.jpg

I would LOVE to see these designs be revisited using modern carbon materials and techniques.

gycho77 09-03-16 03:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 19029619)
That probably won't happen. I'm pretty sure that the UCI still requires a double triangle "diamond" frame which requires a top tube, a down tube, a seat tube, seat stays, and chain stays.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...0398ab4f02.jpg

Some of the bikes from the 90s left off one of the above.

No top tube or seat stay:

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5168...f6a2da5c_z.jpg

No down tube or seat stay:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/atta...lotusbike1.jpg

I would LOVE to see these designs be revisited using modern carbon materials and techniques.

atl least they can make a tubing that looks like a knife

Smiliar to old Look Time Trial bike

taras0000 09-03-16 04:29 PM


Originally Posted by carleton (Post 19027641)
The craziest part is that the electric bike guy actually trains for this and warms up before the events.

The thing is, it's a hard job because you have to be robotic and get it right the same way every time. It's one of those, "You know they did a great job if you never notice them" types of jobs, like being a pro sports referee or umpire.

Hat-off to derny drivers everywhere :thumb:

I was a human derny for a keirin series one day at the track. I'll never do that again. Totally exhausting :D

With the E-Bikes that they are using, I don't understand why they couldn't just use a microprocessor to control the speed. Derny driver starts the bike in manual mode, get's it up to speed and pulls a trigger on the backstraight. Then it's all autopilot from there.

carleton 09-04-16 02:33 AM


Originally Posted by gycho77 (Post 19030716)
atl least they can make a tubing that looks like a knife

Smiliar to old Look Time Trial bike

I think that would be legal again. But, remember, they are simply undoing a rule that they made around 4 years ago. We didn't have bikes like the LOOK 5 years ago. The Specialized Shiv was the closest, I guess:

http://aerogeeks.com/wp-content/uplo...d-dsc_0129.jpg


Originally Posted by taras0000 (Post 19030771)
With the E-Bikes that they are using, I don't understand why they couldn't just use a microprocessor to control the speed. Derny driver starts the bike in manual mode, get's it up to speed and pulls a trigger on the backstraight. Then it's all autopilot from there.

Yeah, that's a thought. Maybe the programming cost and risk are a deterrent? Who wants to ride an automatically accelerating motorbike? :D

taras0000 09-04-16 10:13 PM

Well, you still leave steering and brake control in the riders hands. I mean, modern cruise control would be easy enough to copy.

gycho77 09-07-16 12:25 AM

Mavic is making affordable aero wheels(non carbon fiber cosmic)

I really hope they sell the rim separately, so I could try them with track setup.
However, I am not sure if this is going to be a tough rim(or stiff) like velocity deep v.

gycho77 09-07-16 12:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 19031383)
I think that would be legal again. But, remember, they are simply undoing a rule that they made around 4 years ago. We didn't have bikes like the LOOK 5 years ago. The Specialized Shiv was the closest, I guess:

http://aerogeeks.com/wp-content/uplo...d-dsc_0129.jpg

I think Parlee disc tt frame is the closest 2017 aero frame

Look at those head tube !!!!!

gycho77 09-07-16 12:38 AM


Originally Posted by gycho77 (Post 19038054)
I think Parlee disc tt frame is the closest 2017 aero frame

Look at those head tube !!!!!

I cannot upload two pictures at once.....
Probably it's because i am using android.:twitchy:

carleton 09-07-16 07:26 AM

Hotlinking makes for bigger images.

carleton 09-07-16 07:30 AM


Originally Posted by gycho77 (Post 19038052)
Mavic is making affordable aero wheels(non carbon fiber cosmic)
https://youtu.be/ugVEL8Wcogo?t=4m37s

I really hope they sell the rim separately, so I could try them with track setup.
However, I am not sure if this is going to be a tough rim(or stiff) like velocity deep v.

This tech has been around for a while: Aero Disc Covers - Wheelbuilder.com

But, I can't recall seeing it for simply deep wheels that are not discs. But, if you recall, a lot of early deep section wheels were built like this. Cosmic Carbone? or something like that?

queerpunk 09-07-16 08:36 AM

There are some others out there. Mavic has made some carbon clinchers with an alu rim like this, and the HED Jet is another popular example.

However, for this model, they're replacing the carbon with a sealed foam. Funky. I bet it won't be too affordable, unfortunately. And, given the fact that there's a specific angle for the spoke to pass from the hub through the fairing and into the rim, rims like that generally aren't re-laceable to other hubs.

gycho77 09-07-16 08:36 AM


Originally Posted by carleton (Post 19038397)
This tech has been around for a while: Aero Disc Covers - Wheelbuilder.com

But, I can't recall seeing it for simply deep wheels that are not discs. But, if you recall, a lot of early deep section wheels were built like this. Cosmic Carbone? or something like that?

But wheel cover is not uci legal.
However the cosmic is uci legal wheel

taras0000 09-07-16 08:22 PM

The Cosmic and Jet are legal because you cannot remove the fairing. They are integral to the wheel, and because the carbon IS structural to a degree, you can say it contributes to the strength of the wheel, which is how those wheels get around that legality. The only difference between the Cosmic/Jet and other carbon rims with aluminum brake tracks is where the spokes are anchored. With a typical carbon/alu rim, the spoke nipples are seated on the inner circumfrence of the carbon fairing. The Cosmic/Jet anchor in the aluminum rim bed. If properly made, you can have this construction and still have a wheel that is stiffer than a regular aluminum box rim, hence why it is legal.

Banchad 09-08-16 04:26 PM

Ok guys I didn't find this on the web but I didn't know quite where else to put it.
Since I've finished my degree and searching for a job isn't keeping me quite as occupied as it should I've been doing home projects to keep my mind ticking over.
I've had a crack at making full carbon fibre shoes. I've only made this one shoe thus far and given to a mistake in the location of the cleat nut set I will no longer work on this particular shoe but it gives a decent representation of what I am aiming for in the end game thing if much rougher and unrefined.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ab&oe=584B8E69
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7e&oe=58459C73
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...c6&oe=58810329


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.