Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

paulb_in_bkln 05-07-18 06:40 AM


Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 20325464)
https://delaware.craigslist.org/bik/...569021063.html

Good looking bike, but the original saddle is missing. It appears to have self-adjusting brakes; were they available in 1967?

The inexpensive bikes on Bikesdirect offer good value but it seems to me not like one of these older Sports, in good condition, at a price like being asked here.

paulb_in_bkln 05-07-18 07:06 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20326459)
Here's an early 50s Rudge scorcher project posted over at CC. Very nice job.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...feb15f3e0b.jpg

Just the way to do it.

agmetal 05-07-18 09:22 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20326353)
I was thinking that too. The frame looks the same as a DL-1 but the fork has much less rake.

My ANT frame with its 69º angles was originally built with a generic fork, and while it didn't handle badly, I felt that it could be improved, so I had a fork custom-built for it with more rake. The goal was to make it feel more like the '37 Tourist that the build is based on, and it definitely became better in that respect. I think that in either configuration, though, it takes some getting used to, since it does handle differently from most modern bikes. My girlfriend took it for a short ride yesterday, and struggled a bit with the handling at first. She's used to a Trek hybrid.

Before (original fork):
https://www.bikeforums.net/attachmen...2&d=1513276545

After (custom fork by Royal H Cycles):
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4a234f4dd5.jpg


1937 Raleigh Tourist that the build is based on:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...357a92af7c.jpg

johnnyspaghetti 05-07-18 10:59 AM


Originally Posted by agmetal (Post 20326755)
My ANT frame with its 69º angles was originally built with a generic fork, and while it didn't handle badly, I felt that it could be improved, so I had a fork custom-built for it with more rake. The goal was to make it feel more like the '37 Tourist that the build is based on, and it definitely became better in that respect. I think that in either configuration, though, it takes some getting used to, since it does handle differently from most modern bikes. My girlfriend took it for a short ride yesterday, and struggled a bit with the handling at first. She's used to a Trek hybrid.

Before (original fork):


After (custom fork by Royal H Cycles):



1937 Raleigh Tourist that the build is based on:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...357a92af7c.jpg

I do think the difference in the is to dulicate the Front axle center to crank center which seems at least 6"longer.As well as an extra inch in the rear. Long wheel base + 28" tires will give that nice ride.

agmetal 05-07-18 11:05 AM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20326966)
I do think the difference in the is to dulicate the Front axle center to crank center which seems at least 6"longer.As well as an extra inch in the rear. Long wheel base + 28" tires will give that nice ride.

Yeah, there's definitely a noticeable difference in the ride with those differences you've mentioned. My ANT is, in many ways, sort of halfway between a Sports and a Tourist

dweenk 05-07-18 12:00 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...64141f58f6.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...25c8594211.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...09738db095.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0a38373ba2.jpg
I took my Tourist out for a ride today. It had not been on the road since last fall, so I had to add air to the tires, check the brakes, and so forth. It is easy to forget that this type of bicycle is very different from others until you get into the saddle and ride.
I am in the process of getting rid of several bikes, but this one will be around for a while.

gster 05-07-18 07:31 PM


Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 20326472)
I found an old web page from a Wisconsin company that once imported these bikes. It's full of somewhat funny caveats about them ("Finish is mediocre.... The factory is not climate-controlled, so there will be rust under both plating and paint."). Eastman now seem to belong to an industrial conglomerate and they advertise modern bikes--or maybe it's a different company. What were the difficult parts making this happen?

The quality on this one seems good.
It was a somewhat easy project as the bike was mostly complete and in good condition when I bought it.
Fenders and chain guard were removed, new tires installed and one of the brake brackets was missing.
This was replaced with a Raleigh piece.
Paint is original and the chrome is good.
The front wheel may not be seating in the fork as it should and this may be the cause of the front end wander.
so I guess it's still not finished...

johnnyspaghetti 05-08-18 12:31 AM

This one looks cool but way out of my price range at $400

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...567623650.html

https://images.craigslist.org/00W0W_...uv_600x450.jpg

gster 05-08-18 05:47 AM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20328244)

Almost a twin of mine...
The Hero saddle is an Asian brand.

oldveloman 05-08-18 09:10 AM

Hard to keep up with you guys here. Loads of new posts :speedy:

Yesterday, another “old Raleigh" was dumped at my doorstep. If this goes on, I will have to expand my garage...
Anyway, this one is pretty rusty and had been sitting in an overgrown garden shed for some time.

Lighting is non original, nor the ( Dutch Lepper- ) saddle and the Sturmey rear wheel says 1961, but I think the frame is early fifties, probably 1951 - 1953 ?

Peter

​​​​​​​https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bd13a2657f.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...62cfcb5602.jpg

Salubrious 05-08-18 10:54 AM

The Lake Pepin 3-speed tour is this Saturday! For those on the ride, here is an alternate route, which begins shortly after Maiden Rock.

Lake Pepin 3-speed Tour Stockholm bypass

Stock up on water and provisions if needed (recommended) in Maiden Rock. This alternate takes about 2-3 hours if done in a leisurely fashion. A beautiful and secluded valley is featured; overall traffic is very light. A rest stop could be a the Laura Ingalls Wilder cabin which is on the route.

East of Maiden Rock, take AA left and follow past (and over) creek. Turn left at the Rustic Road (first dirt road after the creek; at last report the main sign was down, look for sign saying ‘next 4 miles’). There are several stream crossings after which the road rises out of the valley. Some HAB* is required. At the top of the valley, take a left at the T intersection (180th, with more HAB), then a right at the next T intersection (50th).

Proceed east on 50th(also called Willow), crossing Co. Rd. Cc (alternatively, turn south on Co. Rd. Cc., follow through village of Lund, turn left). Willow Road curves south and meets Co. Rd Cc; proceed south on Cc.

Cc passes by the Laura Ingalls Wilder cabin. Picnic table, restrooms are on site, but no water. Road descends towards Pepin and meets Hiway 35 west of town. Turn left rejoining main route.

Pepin bypass alternate from Stockholm bypass:

After the cabin, begin descent into valley north of Pepin. Just outside of town you will pass by Oakwood Cemetery on your left, on a left curve. Sand Ridge Road goes left, take this if you wish to also bypass Pepin.


(NOTE: An unexplored alternate Pepin Bypass route would be to turn left on Elberg Hill road (after the main descent, where the bluffs on the left recede to the left and the valley opens up), then immediately right on Jahnke Hill Road, taking that to Sand Hill Road; turn left resuming Pepin bypass route. This alternate is entirely on dirt road.)

Enter outskirts of Pepin, turn left on 7th, proceed three full blocks thru residential area to Dunn Road (Co Rd N), turn left and immediately right onto Trail Road (dirt).Follow Trail Road to hiway 35 and rejoin main route.

* Hike A Bike

paulb_in_bkln 05-08-18 10:58 AM


Originally Posted by oldveloman (Post 20328739)
Hard to keep up with you guys here. Loads of new posts :speedy:

Yesterday, another “old Raleigh" was dumped at my doorstep. If this goes on, I will have to expand my garage...
Anyway, this one is pretty rusty and had been sitting in an overgrown garden shed for some time.

Lighting is non original, nor the ( Dutch Lepper- ) saddle and the Sturmey rear wheel says 1961, but I think the frame is early fifties, probably 1951 - 1953 ?

Peter

​​​

That will be some big bath of oxalic acid!

Cute Boy Horse 05-08-18 11:07 AM

Honestly so long as there's no internal rush that thing'll probably polish right up. It's on caliper brakes so nothing stopping you from switching to aluminium rims!

dweenk 05-08-18 12:48 PM

Raleigh Tourist
 
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...84f20bf3dd.jpg
Here is a later Tourist (DL-1) for you at $280 OBO.
https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...582881095.html

dweenk 05-08-18 01:03 PM

1960's Armstrong $65
 
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e51e67ea26.jpg
This needs work, but it appears to be all there.
https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...582797060.html

schwinnderella 05-08-18 06:00 PM

The Armstrong above has a Schwinn Phantom seat, worth at least double the asking price of the bike.

BigChief 05-08-18 07:29 PM


Originally Posted by oldveloman (Post 20328739)
Hard to keep up with you guys here. Loads of new posts :speedy:

Yesterday, another “old Raleigh" was dumped at my doorstep. If this goes on, I will have to expand my garage...
Anyway, this one is pretty rusty and had been sitting in an overgrown garden shed for some time.

Lighting is non original, nor the ( Dutch Lepper- ) saddle and the Sturmey rear wheel says 1961, but I think the frame is early fifties, probably 1951 - 1953 ?

Peter

​​​​​​​https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bd13a2657f.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...62cfcb5602.jpg

What a great find! You are correct 1950-1953. In the 1954 catalog Raleigh promotes their new "high tensile" steel and they started using the high tensile sticker on the seat tube.I really like this bike. Tall frame too.
These are getting more rare all the time. It has tons of potential. So nice to see a fresh barn find early 50s light roadster.
That round lug over the shifter cable guide wheel is where the original guide wheel was attached.
Here's the 1950 catalog from the VCC
VCC 1950 Raleigh catalog

oldveloman 05-09-18 06:47 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20329829)
What a great find! You are correct 1950-1953. In the 1954 catalog Raleigh promotes their new "high tensile" steel and they started using the high tensile sticker on the seat tube.I really like this bike. Tall frame too.
These are getting more rare all the time. It has tons of potential. So nice to see a fresh barn find early 50s light roadster.
That round lug over the shifter cable guide wheel is where the original guide wheel was attached.
Here's the 1950 catalog from the VCC
VCC 1950 Raleigh catalog

Thanks again, BigChief !
I cleaned up the serial number a bit and it says 41177 BK , so according to the list at the Headbadge and the Visual ID / Decal identification it should be a 1953 model.
Makes it a nice companion to my (pre-Raleigh) 1954 BSA 3-speeder ...

Peter

johnnyspaghetti 05-09-18 07:18 AM

This DL1 just popped up for $175 but I don't need a start out with a step thru.The seller is a liar. It clearly looks to be a 1969 or 1970.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...579251736.html

https://images.craigslist.org/00m0m_...3g_600x450.jpg

agmetal 05-09-18 07:31 AM


Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 20327130)
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...64141f58f6.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...25c8594211.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...09738db095.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0a38373ba2.jpg
I took my Tourist out for a ride today. It had not been on the road since last fall, so I had to add air to the tires, check the brakes, and so forth. It is easy to forget that this type of bicycle is very different from others until you get into the saddle and ride.
I am in the process of getting rid of several bikes, but this one will be around for a while.

Where does one find a headlight bracket like that? I'm looking for a way to put a modern light on a heron bracket

dweenk 05-09-18 08:57 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4527160eaa.jpg

Originally Posted by agmetal (Post 20330408)
Where does one find a headlight bracket like that? I'm looking for a way to put a modern light on a heron bracket

AFAIK the light bracket was standard equipment on Raleigh headlights of that period. If you can't find a suitable housing bracket, you could replace the original with something like this.

agmetal 05-09-18 09:04 AM


Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 20330625)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4527160eaa.jpg


AFAIK the light bracket was standard equipment on Raleigh headlights of that period. If you can't find a suitable housing bracket, you could replace the original with something like this.

I have a heron bracket on the top of the stem of my '37 Tourist that I'd like to use, but I haven't been able to find the piece to adapt from that to a modern 10mm light mount

paulb_in_bkln 05-09-18 09:34 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20329829)
What a great find! You are correct 1950-1953. In the 1954 catalog Raleigh promotes their new "high tensile" steel and they started using the high tensile sticker on the seat tube.I really like this bike. Tall frame too.
These are getting more rare all the time. It has tons of potential. So nice to see a fresh barn find early 50s light roadster.
That round lug over the shifter cable guide wheel is where the original guide wheel was attached.
Here's the 1950 catalog from the VCC
VCC 1950 Raleigh catalog

Did Raleigh set up an American company to import and distribute these? Or was it done piecemeal by bike shops, or some American import company? Was thinking if you set up a company to import and distribute English bikes you might bring in ones from France and Italy, too.

Ballenxj 05-09-18 09:43 AM


Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln (Post 20330699)
Did Raleigh set up an American company to import and distribute these? Or was it done piecemeal by bike shops, or some American import company? Was thinking if you set up a company to import and distribute English bikes you might bring in ones from France and Italy, too.

And to add to this, did Schwinn ever import English 3 speeds with the Schwinn name on them? I have seen at least one advertised as such. It had the Schwinn name, the shark fin fenders, but no cotter cranks.

paulb_in_bkln 05-09-18 09:52 AM

Some other bits from Eric Newby (same book, Round Ireland in Low Gear) I like: “My first really good bicycle was a second-hand Selbach which I bought from a boy at school for £3—it would have cost about £12 new…. They were fitted with Timken roller bearings instead of conventional ball bearings. [I suppose he means the bottom bracket? Maybe headset too?] The lightest machine Selbach built is in the Science Museum in London…. He was killed when the front wheel of his bicycle got stuck in a tramline in South London; he didn’t even rate an obituary in The Times….. The finest bicycle I ever had was a Holdsworth… it was a model called Stelvio, and was specially designed for cycling in the Alps. It was hand-built in a small shed at the back of Holdsworth’s shop in Putney by a thin, energetic, chain-smoking genius with wispy hair and a terrible cough. He had lined the walls of the shed with a really wonderful collection of pin-ups all of which displayed enormous tits, presumably to stimulate him to even greater activity. They certainly stimulated me. It was the finest bicycle procurable at that time [1935] and it cost a colossal £20.” If I get to London I know what I’ll be looking for at the Science Museum.

paulb_in_bkln 05-09-18 09:59 AM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20329829)
What a great find! You are correct 1950-1953. In the 1954 catalog Raleigh promotes their new "high tensile" steel and they started using the high tensile sticker on the seat tube.I really like this bike. Tall frame too.
These are getting more rare all the time. It has tons of potential. So nice to see a fresh barn find early 50s light roadster.
That round lug over the shifter cable guide wheel is where the original guide wheel was attached.
Here's the 1950 catalog from the VCC
VCC 1950 Raleigh catalog

Lenton Tourist (Model 29). It's love.

dweenk 05-09-18 11:00 AM


Originally Posted by agmetal (Post 20330634)
I have a heron bracket on the top of the stem of my '37 Tourist that I'd like to use, but I haven't been able to find the piece to adapt from that to a modern 10mm light mount

If I understand correctly, you are looking for the bracket that slips over the heron mount on the headset. The only mating bracket that I have found was on the old Raleigh headlights. Maybe the auction site may have what you are seeking.

johnnyspaghetti 05-09-18 11:01 AM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 20328938)
The Lake Pepin 3-speed tour is this Saturday! For those on the ride, here is an alternate route, which begins shortly after Maiden Rock.

Lake Pepin 3-speed Tour Stockholm bypass

Stock up on water and provisions if needed (recommended) in Maiden Rock. This alternate takes about 2-3 hours if done in a leisurely fashion. A beautiful and secluded valley is featured; overall traffic is very light. A rest stop could be a the Laura Ingalls Wilder cabin which is on the route.

East of Maiden Rock, take AA left and follow past (and over) creek. Turn left at the Rustic Road (first dirt road after the creek; at last report the main sign was down, look for sign saying ‘next 4 miles’). There are several stream crossings after which the road rises out of the valley. Some HAB* is required. At the top of the valley, take a left at the T intersection (180th, with more HAB), then a right at the next T intersection (50th).

Proceed east on 50th(also called Willow), crossing Co. Rd. Cc (alternatively, turn south on Co. Rd. Cc., follow through village of Lund, turn left). Willow Road curves south and meets Co. Rd Cc; proceed south on Cc.

Cc passes by the Laura Ingalls Wilder cabin. Picnic table, restrooms are on site, but no water. Road descends towards Pepin and meets Hiway 35 west of town. Turn left rejoining main route.

Pepin bypass alternate from Stockholm bypass:

After the cabin, begin descent into valley north of Pepin. Just outside of town you will pass by Oakwood Cemetery on your left, on a left curve. Sand Ridge Road goes left, take this if you wish to also bypass Pepin.


(NOTE: An unexplored alternate Pepin Bypass route would be to turn left on Elberg Hill road (after the main descent, where the bluffs on the left recede to the left and the valley opens up), then immediately right on Jahnke Hill Road, taking that to Sand Hill Road; turn left resuming Pepin bypass route. This alternate is entirely on dirt road.)

Enter outskirts of Pepin, turn left on 7th, proceed three full blocks thru residential area to Dunn Road (Co Rd N), turn left and immediately right onto Trail Road (dirt).Follow Trail Road to hiway 35 and rejoin main route.

* Hike A Bike

I have planned a trip to Texas to visit my 92 year old mom for mothers day. I would be happy to loan a perfectly working bike 23"1962 Sports to one in need or 21"1968 Sports working well.

oldveloman 05-09-18 11:04 AM


Originally Posted by agmetal (Post 20330408)
Where does one find a headlight bracket like that? I'm looking for a way to put a modern light on a heron bracket

Or something like this. Just 2 parts bolted together :

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...414224a8c9.jpg

Mike from Iowa 05-09-18 01:05 PM


Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 20328938)
The Lake Pepin 3-speed tour is this Saturday! For those on the ride, here is an alternate route, which begins shortly after Maiden Rock.

Lake Pepin 3-speed Tour Stockholm bypass


...Enter outskirts of Pepin, turn left on 7th, proceed three full blocks thru residential area to Dunn Road (Co Rd N), turn left and immediately right onto Trail Road (dirt).Follow Trail Road to hiway 35 and rejoin main route.

* Hike A Bike

Thanks for this route option! My wife and I will be there again this year on our matching Humbers.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.