Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

datlas 03-28-22 05:08 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22452811)
COOL! Now clamp it by the seatpost, as god intended.

Better??


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...44bdb5a4e.jpeg

indyfabz 03-28-22 05:18 AM

Wordle 282 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

datlas 03-28-22 05:22 AM

BTW why is clamping a bike on the top tube triggering for some people? Obviously a carbon fiber frame should NOT be clamped at the top tube (or any tube). Duh.

But for a metal frame, I think it's on the GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) list. If not, why does my Park Tool clamp even have a channel in the middle to allow the brake cable free access while clamped to the top tube?

datlas 03-28-22 05:41 AM

Mrs datlas and I are the Alpha-Omega on today's Wordle. She got it in one try, it took me 6 (so my streak almost ended!).

bampilot06 03-28-22 05:42 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22453081)


That looks really nice. I like it.

bampilot06 03-28-22 05:49 AM

Had everything set up to do a century this morning. Wife has work, Grams was coming to watch the child, plan was to start at 5 am and be back before 11 am.

Temperature this morning was suppose to be high 30s and upper 40s by the time I was done. It wasnít ideal but I was going to roll with it.

What I wonít roll with is 25 degrees. Itís still currently 25 degrees. 25 degrees isnít an issue for 30 miles or so but would never finish a century in that temperature.

So now I am inpatiently waiting for the temperature to rise. Every 3 mins is another mile I wonít be able to do. At this rate I hope I have time for a metric.

Trsnrtr 03-28-22 05:55 AM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22452779)
We’re big fans of the F1 Netflix show.

There's a cycling one done in the same way coming out.

ls01 03-28-22 05:57 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22452775)
:lol:

I donít even know why I am going. It was disused briefly last Monday, but I didnít pay much attention. I guess Iíll find out this week. Probably dog and pony show stuff that will bore me to tears. At least my cat sitter is available. Wonder if I can expense that.

Remember, don't stand still, don't look around, don't talk to people, and for God's sake don't make eye contact. Also, "I didn't see nothing" can be helpful.....

Trsnrtr 03-28-22 05:57 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22452811)
COOL! Now clamp it by the seatpost, as god intended.

Not if you have a carbon seat post and everyone does nowadays, unless one is a cycling tech curmudgeon. :innocent:

ls01 03-28-22 05:58 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22452701)
Good ride this morning, then Hannahís wind ensemble concert, and I finally got my lazy mechanic to get some work done on the Habanero. Reinstalled the headset/fork, bars/stem, BB, and crank. Put tires, tubes, and cassette on new psimet wheels. Reinstalled seatpost/saddle.

#progress


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5ada4d9f2.jpeg

lookin good!

ls01 03-28-22 05:59 AM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22452785)
I've watched more Nascar this year than the past 3 or 4. Not any races in their entirety but good chunks of many races. The racing has been good.

I don't partake in F1
#DougsDontDoF1


That's a Shame

ls01 03-28-22 06:01 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22452945)
It's nice to see someone at least make an attempt at besting me in the messiest work bench category.

The 2 of you don't stand a chance. Not even combined.

Trsnrtr 03-28-22 06:01 AM

Expensive, but well worth it if you own several carbon bikes.

https://silca.cc/collections/workben.../hirobel-clamp

ls01 03-28-22 06:03 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22453092)
BTW why is clamping a bike on the top tube triggering for some people? Obviously a carbon fiber frame should NOT be clamped at the top tube (or any tube). Duh.

But for a metal frame, I think it's on the GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) list. If not, why does my Park Tool clamp even have a channel in the middle to allow the brake cable free access while clamped to the top tube?

Even some metallic frames are too thin for an overly tight clamp. Buddy's aluminum tandem has 2 dents in it from a stand.

ls01 03-28-22 06:05 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22453124)
Had everything set up to do a century this morning. Wife has work, Grams was coming to watch the child, plan was to start at 5 am and be back before 11 am.

Temperature this morning was suppose to be high 30s and upper 40s by the time I was done. It wasnít ideal but I was going to roll with it.

What I wonít roll with is 25 degrees. Itís still currently 25 degrees. 25 degrees isnít an issue for 30 miles or so but would never finish a century in that temperature.

So now I am inpatiently waiting for the temperature to rise. Every 3 mins is another mile I wonít be able to do. At this rate I hope I have time for a metric.

ikr?...wtaf! It's 21 and snowing here today ffs.

ls01 03-28-22 06:09 AM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22453133)
Not if you have a carbon seat post and everyone does nowadays, unless one is a cycling tech curmudgeon. :innocent:

Not me brother.. Ive broken more of them than I care to think about. The last one was the Trek post on the cross bike. I always break them in the rear, right at the clamp. Thomson and kore seat posts ftw.
I don't want to think about having carbon shards removed from that area.

Trsnrtr 03-28-22 06:14 AM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22453146)
Not me brother.. Ive broken more of them than I care to think about. The last one was the Trek post on the cross bike. I always break them in the rear right at the clamp. Thomson and kore seat posts few.
I don't want to think about having carbon shards removed from that area.

My wife broke a carbon post on our tandem, Many tandems have a short TT in the stoker box which means the stoker saddle is slammed as far back as it goes. We were on a tandem tour and the tour mechanic was offering free tune-ups for a "tip." He saw that our stoker post was half sheared. It's been replaced with a standard post.

Mojo31 03-28-22 06:19 AM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22453146)
Not me brother.. Ive broken more of them than I care to think about. The last one was the Trek post on the cross bike. I always break them in the rear, right at the clamp. Thomson and kore seat posts ftw.
I don't want to think about having carbon shards removed from that area.

Why, why would you ever mention that?

Mojo31 03-28-22 06:20 AM


Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 22453132)
Remember, don't stand still, don't look around, don't talk to people, and for God's sake don't make eye contact. Also, "I didn't see nothing" can be helpful.....

And never have your back to the door.

rjones28 03-28-22 07:03 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22453092)
BTW why is clamping a bike on the top tube triggering for some people? Obviously a carbon fiber frame should NOT be clamped at the top tube (or any tube). Duh.

But for a metal frame, I think it's on the GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) list. If not, why does my Park Tool clamp even have a channel in the middle to allow the brake cable free access while clamped to the top tube?

Short answer: seat posts are cheaper than frames.

Seat posts are designed to handle clamping forces.
Metal frames often feature butted tubes that are easier to damage than you might think.
Paint scratches are annoying. <not an issue with brushed Ti, obv>

rjones28 03-28-22 07:04 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22453124)
Had everything set up to do a century this morning. Wife has work, Grams was coming to watch the child, plan was to start at 5 am and be back before 11 am.

Temperature this morning was suppose to be high 30s and upper 40s by the time I was done. It wasnít ideal but I was going to roll with it.

What I wonít roll with is 25 degrees. Itís still currently 25 degrees. 25 degrees isnít an issue for 30 miles or so but would never finish a century in that temperature.

So now I am inpatiently waiting for the temperature to rise. Every 3 mins is another mile I wonít be able to do. At this rate I hope I have time for a metric.

Spring snow storm last night. 15F degrees and several inches of snow this morning. No century for me today. ;)

rjones28 03-28-22 07:12 AM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22453133)
Not if you have a carbon seat post and everyone does nowadays, unless one is a cycling tech curmudgeon. :innocent:

Still cheaper than the frame.

datlas 03-28-22 07:14 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22453188)
Short answer: seat posts are cheaper than frames.

Seat posts are designed to handle clamping forces.
Metal frames often feature butted tubes that are easier to damage than you might think.
Paint scratches are annoying. <not an issue with brushed Ti, obv>

I get it.

The Habanero is straight-gauge Ti so it's not an issue. I almost think that it's SAFER to clamp the TT than the seatpost which is crabon fiber and could assplode. So in this case, I am pretty sure it's ok to clamp the top tube. I understand that may still be a trigger to others so I will try to be sensitive.

#woke

rjones28 03-28-22 07:15 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22453196)
Still cheaper than the frame.

If it's a proprietary shape, then cost isn't the main problem with breaking a seat post.

Bah Humbug 03-28-22 07:19 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22453188)
Short answer: seat posts are cheaper than frames.

Seat posts are designed to handle clamping forces.
Metal frames often feature butted tubes that are easier to damage than you might think.
Paint scratches are annoying. <not an issue with brushed Ti, obv>

Further, a seat post is much easier to replace than a frame.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:59 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.