Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What is Shimano Flight Deck and what is Flight Deck compatible? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=540563)

mzeffex 05-11-09 05:11 PM

What is Shimano Flight Deck and what is Flight Deck compatible?

Ok so you know how tiagra and higher sti levers say flight deck on them? What is this? And the soras manual says flight deck compatible.. how can it be compatible? Compatible with what?

umd 05-11-09 05:16 PM

Flight Deck is their cyclo computer. It has it's buttons in hoods instead of on the unit and it can tell you what gear you are in.

mzeffex 05-11-09 05:19 PM

Oh. Alright. Well then what does flight deck compatible mean? Because they don't say flight deck on the sora levers.

umd 05-11-09 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by mzeffex (Post 8898974)
Oh. Alright. Well then what does flight deck compatible mean? Because they don't say flight deck on the sora levers.

Flight Deck compatible means that the shifters work with the flight deck computer. Since the buttons in the hoods and communication with the shifters is required for it to work...

mzeffex 05-11-09 05:23 PM

So.. alright. I wonder why it doesn't say flight deck then. hmm.

umd 05-11-09 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by mzeffex (Post 8899010)
So.. alright. I wonder why it doesn't say flight deck then. hmm.

A little slow on the uptake are we? If it (the equipment or specifications) doesn't say flight deck compatible, then it's not.

Edit: I think they just don't say it anymore. For example the DA 7900 levers don't say it anymore either.

Camilo 05-11-09 06:19 PM

My daughter's Sora is FD. It's from about '06

PlatyPius 05-11-09 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by mzeffex (Post 8898927)
Ok so you know how tiagra and higher sti levers say flight deck on them? What is this? And the soras manual says flight deck compatible.. how can it be compatible? Compatible with what?

Flight Deck is Shimano's crappy computer that works for about 5 months, then dies. It's made for people who inanely think that gear numbers are somehow important.

mzeffex 05-11-09 07:00 PM

Oh. Right. And hey I'm catching on.. but if you find images of it I see it says flight deck on many, and then on some under the description or whatever it says flight deck compatible. DA doesn't now? Hm.. right. Thanks for the help.

Shimagnolo 05-11-09 07:13 PM

Just keep this thread going, and the one guy who bought one will eventually show up to tell you about it.:lol:

Then the guy who bought a Campy Ergo Brain will show up to argue with him about which is better.:roflmao2:

PlatyPius 05-11-09 07:15 PM

Don't even get me started on ErgoBraindead!

mzeffex 05-11-09 07:25 PM

:o So while you're here... Should I get a Specialized Allez or Trek 1.5? Or Caad 9.

PlatyPius 05-11-09 07:30 PM

None of the above. lol.
I'm an "anti-Big 3" guy.

It depends on what you want, really. The CAAD9 would get my initial vote, since it's still (until 2010 model year) an American bike. It you're planning on long tours or some such thing though, I'd recommend a different bike.

What's your budget? What kind of riding are you going to be doing? How many miles? Any physical problems like bad back or such? Let me know and I'll give you a recommendation - and it won't necessarily be a brand I sell - not that it would matter anyway. lol.

Shimagnolo 05-11-09 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by PlatyPius (Post 8899745)
Don't even get me started on ErgoBraindead!

My mistake. Correction follows:

"Then the guy who bought a Campy Ergo Brain will show up to argue with him about which is *worse*.":D

redtires 05-11-09 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo (Post 8899734)
Just keep this thread going, and the one guy who bought one will eventually show up to tell you about it.:lol:

Then the guy who bought a Campy Ergo Brain will show up to argue with him about which is better.:roflmao2:

Lol!! I did have one when they first came out on my Ultegra bike. I got it for a steal because I worked in a shop back then. I guess it worked ok...it wasn't magical or anything. I have never missed it, and I sure like my Cateye Strada just fine.

PlatyPius 05-11-09 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo (Post 8899857)
My mistake. Correction follows:

"Then the guy who bought a Campy Ergo Brain will show up to argue with him about which is *worse*.":D

LOL! Never owned either. Have replaced MANY ErgoBrain harnesses and MANY Flight Deck shifter guts and head units. They both suck. I think the Ergo Brain is worse though, and I'm a Campy guy.

mzeffex 05-11-09 07:37 PM

is that another flight deck like thing?

PlatyPius 05-11-09 07:38 PM

Yeah. Campy's version. Just as horrible.

mzeffex 05-11-09 07:46 PM

Alright. I might get 105 shifters on my bike. Working at a bike store + discounts = awesome. Unfortunately they only stock Giant, which I do not want, so can't buy the bike there.

PlatyPius 05-11-09 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by mzeffex (Post 8899959)
Alright. I might get 105 shifters on my bike. Working at a bike store + discounts = awesome. Unfortunately they only stock Giant, which I do not want, so can't buy the bike there.

Find a Masi dealer and look at their bikes.

Just sayin'.

http://www.masibikes.com/tab3_subNav3.php

mzeffex 05-11-09 08:03 PM

Not a fan of the almost vintage style, as my current road bike is an '82 lotus.

PlatyPius 05-11-09 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by mzeffex (Post 8900108)
Not a fan of the almost vintage style, as my current road bike is an '82 lotus.

Okay then...

http://www.masibikes.com/tab3_subNav1.php

rooftest 05-11-09 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by umd (Post 8899065)
Edit: I think they just don't say it anymore. For example the DA 7900 levers don't say it anymore either.

I just looked at my new bike, and it does say "Flight Deck" at the top of the brake levers. I'm waiting to buy it when it becomes available for 7900. (I'm not sure that it is yet.)

n00bL35 05-11-09 08:18 PM

My Sora shifters are FD compatible.

PlatyPius 05-11-09 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by n00bL35 (Post 8900208)
My Sora shifters are FD compatible.

Well, I HOPE they're Front Derailleur compatible......