Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.4 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1239811)

BillyD 12-25-21 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22350953)
How great would it be if we had no measurable snow all winter?

Very.

Sad AF.

BillyD 12-25-21 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22350967)
After further review I can see that is a steep slope. I been victim of a slope like that. Nature and gravity might hate me.

In any event, I hope Santa delivers the goods for you tonight.. Maybe a red Ryder bb gun with a compass in the stock.

So he can find his way outside of Knoxville?

Velo Vol 12-25-21 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22351277)
So he can find his way outside of Knoxville?

Fun Fact: When I was a ute, me and a friend won a regional "orienteering" contest using a compass. #Outdoorsman

genejockey 12-25-21 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22351283)
Fun Fact: When I was a ute, me and a friend won a regional "orienteering" contest using a compass. #Outdoorsman

It would be hard to do much at all in orienteering without one. Well, maybe getting hopelessly lost.

My brother used to do orienteering, when he lived in North Carolina. Some of their events, soldiers from the nearby Army base would show up, certain that they'd win. They'd generally get humbled a bit, because it's not JUST reading a map and running through the woods.

genejockey 12-25-21 11:03 AM

Also, "Me won an orienteering contest"?

Velo Vol 12-25-21 11:20 AM

It would be a great day to ride. Very little traffic and "warm."

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...78a1faafba.png
Alas, :rolleyes:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1466716529.png
Also, my nagging leaf injury.

Always something wrong. SMH.

BillyD 12-25-21 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22351115)
My wife had the bright idea to have the boy wake us with music when he and the girl were awake and ready to open presents. At approximately 6:20am, we were jarred awake by a raucous rendition of "Deck the Halls" on an out of tune piano. Fantastic idea, dear. :lol:

You will cherish that one day.

abshipp 12-25-21 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22351180)
My house looks like a bomb went off.

Oh yea, btw we’re having another one. God help us.

:bday:

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22351316)
It would be is a great day to ride. Very little traffic and "warm."

FIFM.

After living the majority of my life in the flatlands, this kind of very occasional windy day isn't too bad. One of my favorite things about riding here is how calm it is.

rjones28 12-25-21 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22351291)
It would be hard to do much at all in orienteering without one. Well, maybe getting hopelessly lost.

My brother used to do orienteering, when he lived in North Carolina. Some of their events, soldiers from the nearby Army base would show up, certain that they'd win. They'd generally get humbled a bit, because it's not JUST reading a map and running through the woods.

We had to be able to navigate with and without a compass, to earn our orienteering merit badge.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b7f1a698a4.png

WhyFi 12-25-21 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22351320)
You will cherish that one day.

Oh, I know - I wasn't really complaining. My wife, who's not much of a morning person, suffered worse - I thought it was pretty funny.

WhyFi 12-25-21 11:59 AM

After breakfast on Christmas, there's always a lull at the inlaw's, where the kids are engrossed with their gifts and the adults just veg. I took advantage and squeezed out for an out-and-back metric on the Cap.

About an hour in, I got the sneaking suspicion that my bastard of a headwind was actually a crosswind and that I wouldn't get any relief upon turning around. Unfortunately, I was right. Oh well - better than sitting on my ass and it knocked out a chunk of the Festive 500.

DougRNS 12-25-21 12:05 PM

I'm not Canadian, argumentative or skilled in the area of orienteering. Thankfully, I still have my awesome shovel!
:bday:

Velo Vol 12-25-21 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22351336)
After living the majority of my life in the flatlands, this kind of very occasional windy day isn't too bad. One of my favorite things about riding here is how calm it is.

It's not calm today.

Review the weather data in post #11056

Mojo31 12-25-21 12:48 PM

Spent the morning rock scrambling to the top of Cathedral Rock. Felt the energy of the vortex in the saddle. 700' gain in a half mile. Most of it on hands and feet.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6a1a3664b2.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c5e4281495.jpg

Congrats, Bam!!!

Mojo31 12-25-21 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22351352)
Oh, I know - I wasn't really complaining. My wife, who's not much of a morning person, suffered worse - I thought it was pretty funny.

Careful what you ask for, right?

WhyFi 12-25-21 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22351180)
Oh yea, btw we’re having another one. God help us.

:eek:

​​​​​

genejockey 12-25-21 01:19 PM

We've had an exciting day, meteorologically speaking. The sun was out earlier. Then it got really dark, and it started hailing. That gave way to heavy rain. Then there was a bright flash, and about 4 seconds later a house-shaking roll of thunder. Then more heavy rain. Then sunlight. Now more rain. Good thing I did my ride yesterday.

MoAlpha 12-25-21 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22351291)

Not many people are taught to do even that in the Army these days.

seedsbelize2 12-25-21 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22351091)
Went for a ride at 0 dark 30 before the little one woke up. A little uncanny, 60 degrees. Over dressed as SOP, fun little ride. Extremely windy but since there was literally zero traffic I was able to ride in the middle of the road.

Used the heavy duty light this morning and put the ion on my helmet mount. There are some pretty dark sections of road. Williamsburg does not use a lot of street lights. When I would swivel my head to point the light at the trees there were almost always eyes looking back at me. Mostly deer I think/ hope.

Merry Christmas. Hope everyone has a good one.

Spiders

seedsbelize2 12-25-21 02:25 PM

I'm gonna have to change my avatar. I am decidedly not addicted anymore. But this happens every winter. Day after day after day, month after month of knock down gorgeous weather. And I don't ride much. I get lazy, because I can. In the hot months, we are pressed to get everything done before the furnace of afternoon. Not to mention the short days. By the time I feel warm enough to ride, it's 2;00 and the sun goes low at 4. Truly it's the cold more than anything else. I know that. I just have to be datlas and push through it.

seedsbelize2 12-25-21 02:31 PM

Slow day. Must be Saturday.

Velo Vol 12-25-21 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22351407)
Spent the morning rock scrambling to the top of Cathedral Rock. Felt the energy of the vortex in the saddle. 700' gain in a half mile. Most of it on hands and feet.

wut

Velo Vol 12-25-21 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22351482)
Slow day. Must be Saturday.

People doing their last-minute preparations for Boxing Day.

MoAlpha 12-25-21 03:45 PM

Had a nice, relaxed, ride with good people on a beautiful day. Now looking forward to a good dinner. Daughter and SIL seem to be weathering COVID well. Can’t ask for much more.

WhyFi 12-25-21 03:49 PM

Oh, Bongo. :rolleyes:

I took care of dinner last night so my mother- and Brother-in-law said that they wanted to make dinner for Christmas. Well, my BIL isn't exactly accomplished in the kitchen, but he decided to take the reins. Probably not the best idea, but with MIL supervising... okay.

We (wife and kids) were out on an afternoon walk and were happy and somewhat surprised to hear, via text, that dinner was in the oven without a hitch. We had intended to get back a little early to help, but since things were going well, we lingered.

Welp, we just got back and found out about the hitch. BIL notifies us that he'd neglected to factor in the size of the roast and we'd need to add another 90 min or so to the cooking time. Okay, it could have been worse...

Then I mosey by the oven and notice the temp set at one-******g-seventy-five. What. The. ****. Yeah, the recipe that he'd found online - metric. He messed up the weight conversion and completely neglected the temp conversion. :trainwreck:

Great googly moogly.

​​​