Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Utility Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=261)
-   -   Mongoose Envoy cargo bike $500 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1139596)

greatplaid 03-28-18 08:22 AM

Mongoose Envoy cargo bike $500

I've been looking at getting a cargo bike for a while now to use for commuting and grocery shopping an such. I just haven't been able to afford one. I stumbled onto this and have a friend in Canada who can ship it to me. It looks like a really good deal. I'll share more photo's and a review when it arrives.

https://www.costco.ca/Mongoose-Envoy...100396819.html

Baiku 03-28-18 10:26 AM

That looks pretty decent. cant go wrong for $500. i dont think theres a longtail out there for that price. I like look too

greatplaid 03-28-18 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Baiku (Post 20250144)
That looks pretty decent. cant go wrong for $500. i dont think theres a longtail out there for that price. I like look too

for sale in your neck of the woods too :thumb:

Baiku 03-28-18 12:11 PM

wonder if they have them instore too. theres a costco right down the road from my house

fietsbob 03-28-18 03:00 PM

Costco Canada.. I'd not trust the assembly, and run it by a real bike shop to have the build up safety checked, by skilled bike mechanics..

Out here the Guys putting the Costco bikes together ain't so hot.

bobwysiwyg 03-28-18 04:38 PM

If it helps any, not a cargo bike, but about two years I wanted to try something with dropped bars but not a road bike with 25mm tires. Gave my Specialized Expedition to my grandson and picked up a Mongoose Selous through Nashbar. I think it's an adventure bike, cross bike, or whatever. Anyway, came semi-assembled, not difficult to complete. The only adjustment was retentioning cables after a couple of weeks. Seems well made, also has mechanical disc brakes, which I really like.

Saale 03-29-18 03:09 AM

Wow, wish these were available across the pond! :eek:

Oilsausage 03-29-18 05:55 PM

After looking at some of the specs on the website I really think you'd be better off buying a Giant Escape City or similar and add Bushwacker Grocery paniers. It would cost you more but you wouldn't be disappointed with the quality where I fear you'd have issues with a Mongoose. I'd add links but I don't have enough posts yet. :foo:

greatplaid 03-30-18 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Oilsausage (Post 20252982)
After looking at some of the specs on the website I really think you'd be better off buying a Giant Escape City or similar and add Bushwacker Grocery paniers. It would cost you more but you wouldn't be disappointed with the quality where I fear you'd have issues with a Mongoose. I'd add links but I don't have enough posts yet. :foo:

I don't understand your comment, the escape has lower end components and the bags would carry half of what this would, two completely different bikes as far as I'm concerned

Oilsausage 03-30-18 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by greatplaid (Post 20253745)
I don't understand your comment, the escape has lower end components and the bags would carry half of what this would, two completely different bikes as far as I'm concerned

You mentioned you've been wanting a Commuter/Cargo bike for awhile and I thought an Escape would suit that role better, but then again I'm not exactly sure what kind of things you will be doing with your bike. No worries man, just putting in my two cents.

greatplaid 04-18-18 10:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It arrived today, I'll post some pictures once I have it built up. box is in good condition and the packaging looks like it did its job. cheers
Attachment 607808

Attachment 607809

hobbitman 04-18-18 11:13 AM

@greatplaid Where are you located, and how much did it cost to have this shipped? I'm just curious how this compares to the cost of a Yuba Mundo, when factoring in shipping costs as well.

greatplaid 04-18-18 11:42 AM

my friend in Toronto shipped it to my work from his work to mine in Michigan for only $40. The key is not shipping to your home and having who ever ships it to you ships it using a fed ex or ups account, all in I'm at around $550.

greatplaid 04-18-18 01:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well I got it built up and have a first ride under the belt. Needed a buddy to hold the rear rack up while I put the bolts in and the fork spring thing was a little challenge to get on but with the help of some channel locks I got it. Gears and brakes are adjusted correctly out of the box. Headset was a little tight and rotors rubbed a little until I trued them. Everything else seems perfect. Took it out for a first ride and all I can say is WOW! I was expecting it to be cumbersome but it steers really nice and is super comfortable. The seat and grips are perfect as the seat has a handle to pull the bike around and the grips are ergo lock on pieces. Chainstays measure 460mm and it's 43lbs without the bags which is why I think it rides nice. Geometry is pretty relaxed and feels great for me, I'm 5'9". here's some more pictures, let me know if you want any other info.

newjazz 04-18-18 03:11 PM

What a deal!......here in France you won't find a deal like that for double the price! Everything thing here is sky high! I paid 400 euro for my used version 2 Yuba mundo!

bugly64 04-19-18 02:36 PM

Had I not paid $200 for my Mundo V4, I would be considering this deal and if I was in Canada. I like those Jones like H-bars.

jimmie65 04-20-18 07:38 AM

Looks great. I wonder what it would cost to ship from Canada to Texas.

greatplaid 04-20-18 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had to make some changes with some stuff I had laying around :thumb:

Baiku 04-30-18 01:23 AM

This bikes existence makes me question why others cost so much. like xtracycle addon kit. ive had nothing but trouble with mine and replacing it with this bike. I like that all the stuff is included on it. a strand to hold the bike up. xtracycle would charge like $80 or something for that. when I buy one it will get a good testing. I do alot of heavy hauling. extracycle didnt like that very much lol

CliffordK 04-30-18 02:03 AM

If that is $500 CAD, that would be about $389 USD

Whew!!!

It looks like a pretty cheap build. Somewhat like my Mongoose Massif. Some good, some bad.

But, just for the bare frame, and rims, you really can't go wrong for $389.

Bob Guy 09-11-19 11:46 AM

Availability October 2019

Good news and bad news:
I just talked with Mongoose on the telephone and they have the bike available excelusivley at Amazon for October 01, 2019.
I bought an Envoy from Csotco Canada and loved the bike and someone stole it, now I want to replace it.
the Costco Canads sell price was leass the $500 CAD ($389 USD). The new Amamzon sell price is $749 USD ( 988 CAD), close to three times the cost!
Anyway, that's what I know.
Bob

Two Wheel Tango 09-18-19 08:55 AM

I've had an Envoy for about 4 months and absolutely love it! When my son is on the bike and we are going downhill the rear end starts to get a little squirrely but on flats and hills the bike is exactly what I need. As mentioned above, the Envoy is also at a price point that just makes a lot of sense. Looks like it's currently listed at $750 USD on Amazon.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8d58a61d10.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7685e2d51b.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5328aa858a.jpg

DaveCohen 01-31-20 07:38 AM

We just got our Envoy. Looks like yours is nicely set up. Where did you get the front rack?

DaveCohen 01-31-20 07:39 AM

Where did you get that front rack. Looks great.

Nyah 03-21-20 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by DaveCohen (Post 21307303)
We just got our Envoy. Looks like yours is nicely set up. Where did you get the front rack?

Can you provide the Costco webpage for this bicycle? I followed the OP's link and the bicycle was no longer there. I assumed that the bicycle was no longer for sale.