Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Carbon Fiber Stems PSA (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1170669)

86az135i 04-15-19 03:18 PM

Carbon Fiber Stems PSA

While some may be actual full carbon construction, most of the time they are just an overlay and just add weight. Decided to cut this one in half. Self explanatory.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e71b43a7f.jpeg

Hiro11 04-15-19 03:41 PM

Carbon stems are a waste of money. They're not any lighter than aluminum stems, aesthetically indistinguishable and far more fragile.

86az135i 04-15-19 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 20886130)
Carbon stems are a waste of money. They're not any lighter than aluminum stems, aesthetically indistinguishable and far more fragile.

they aren’t more fragile because almost all are just wrapped. This was a Ritchey that I took off my bike since the reach was too long.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...298fa0001.jpeg

pickettt 04-15-19 05:05 PM

They're an even bigger waste of money when you cut them in half.

86az135i 04-15-19 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by pickettt (Post 20886216)
They're an even bigger waste of money when you cut them in half.

Lol.

carbon fiber was peeling bad and the insides very corroded. Otherwise I would have sold for a couple bucks.

Just letting people know know what they are most likely buying.

Doctor Morbius 04-15-19 06:02 PM

This kind of puts me off a bit as I thought more highly of Ritchey components than this. For all the extra expense of a WCS stem one is probably just as well off with their Comp level.

Thanks for posting this!

Gconan 04-15-19 06:15 PM

Thank you for the information! We can spend our money on something more valuable then.

puma1552 04-15-19 06:39 PM

Thanks for posting, I would not have expected that at all. What a scam.

HTupolev 04-15-19 06:41 PM

I'm surprised that anyone would be surprised by this. Ritchey's carbon-wrapped aluminum stems are advertised as being carbon-wrapped aluminum, at least by Ritchey themselves.

jade408 04-15-19 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by HTupolev (Post 20886351)
I'm surprised that anyone would be surprised by this. Ritchey's carbon-wrapped aluminum stems are advertised as being carbon-wrapped aluminum, at least by Ritchey themselves.

That sounds like a waste of time.

Do they also make carbon wrapped bikes? Is that what low end carbon gets you?

DrIsotope 04-15-19 09:30 PM

There are monocoque carbon stems, like the K-Force Light or Shimano PRO Vibe Sprint, but they are not cheap. I have an FSA OS99 on one of my bikes, which is their "hybrid," carbon shell bonded to an aluminum inner. The advantage to this is that the aluminum can be much thinner, and the end stem stiffer without being bulky-- the Thomson X4 on my CX bike is every bit as stiff, but looks massive next to the OS99. Also, allows me to match the stem to the bars, which is nice. My OS99 weighs about the same as any other high-end aluminum stem of the same length/angle. Cost about the same, too. Prettier, though.

HTupolev 04-15-19 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by jade408 (Post 20886534)
That sounds like a waste of time.

Perhaps. According to Ritchey, it makes for a somewhat stiffer stem than their comparable aluminum options while costing considerably less than the full-carbon. They offer basically the same stem in all-aluminum construction at a much lower price point for those who'd rather stick with that.

Personally, I'm not at all interested in Ritchey's carbon-wrapped aluminum stems. I just don't understand the concern and need for a "PSA." I'd imagine that most people looking into a $160 stem will read the manufacturer's description of what it is before they buy.

86az135i 04-15-19 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by HTupolev (Post 20886351)

Originally Posted by HTupolev (Post 20886566)
Perhaps. According to Ritchey, it makes for a somewhat stiffer stem than their comparable aluminum options while costing considerably less than the full-carbon. They offer basically the same stem in all-aluminum construction at a much lower price point for those who'd rather stick with that.

Personally, I'm not at all interested in Ritchey's carbon-wrapped aluminum stems. I just don't understand the concern and need for a "PSA." I'd imagine that most people looking into a $160 stem will read the manufacturer's description of what it is before they buy.

well this stem is advertised as a “matrix carbon alloy”. So while I’m sure legally being right, they are still trying to misrepresent just like every other value “full carbon” stem out there.

Its obvious that a <1/64” layer of carbon isn’t doing anything. The 1/8” aluminum wall thickness is enough.

And if you do enough research you find pretty much every aluminum alloy stem is lighter then the comparable “carbon” one. Unless you’re getting to 2-300+ $ USD stems I would put money that Ritchey’s carbon is just their regular aluminum alloy with a wrap of carbon fiber.

Maybe you don’t see the need, but most people don’t have a band saw nor willing to cut a nice looking stem in half to see past a marketing ploy. Just sharing my findings.

HTupolev 04-15-19 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by 86az135i (Post 20886596)
well this stem is advertised as a “matrix carbon alloy”.

Okay. What does that mean? Why would I interpret it to mean "full carbon"?

just like every other value “full carbon” stem out there.
What stems claim to be "full carbon" while actually being carbon-wrapped aluminum?

Unless you’re getting to 2-300+ $ USD stems I would put money that Ritchey’s carbon is just their regular aluminum alloy with a wrap of carbon fiber.
Ritchey charges $270 for their full carbon stem.

Maybe you don’t see the need, but most people don’t have a band saw nor willing to cut a nice looking stem in half to see past a marketing ploy.
You don't need to use a bandsaw or cut a stem in half to read text on the internet. Every single major text box description of the item on Ritchey's website explicitly says that the carbon-wrapped aluminum stem is carbon-wrapped aluminum. On Ritchey's website, this is the flavor text on the stems page:

The Ritchey WCS Carbon Matrix C220 84D is a carbon-wrapped alloy stem that's super stiff and features a 6-degree positive or negative rise and a C220 clamp.
And this is the item description:

You really can have it all—the new WCS C220 stem rivals the performance of the revolutionary C260 stem design, but it's quicker and easier to install and remove, thanks to a press-fit handlebar clamp interface and forward-facing hardware.

First proven on the Ritchey TRAIL stem, the C220 handlebar clamp design creates a more secure interface by wrapping a full 220-degrees over the handlebar. Bolt forces are aligned with the clamp so that the stem body 'embraces' the handlebar, which is less prone to damaging lightweight bars. This clamp design allows for a lighter faceplate and stem body with no sacrifice in strength or stiffness.

The Carbon Matrix stem body is forged 7075 aluminum with a stiffness-enhancing carbon exoskeleton which makes this 12% stiffer than the WCS alloy C220 stem. Premium quality CRMO steel bolts are used throughout.
And here is the specifications page:

• Material: 3D forged 7075, carbon encased body
  • 4 x 4mm coated CrMo steel forward-facing faceplate bolts
  • 2 x 4mm coated CrMo steel offset steer tube clamp bolts
  • 5Nm torque max on all hardware
  • Compatible with all 31.8 bars
  • Press-fit clamp design installs and removes like a standard stem
  • Lengths: 70-130mm
  • Angle: 84/6 degree
  • Steerer Height: 42mm
  • Steerer: 1-1/8”
  • Faceplate Width: 42mm
  • Matte UD carbon finish
  • 126g (110mm)

Dr.Lou 04-15-19 11:50 PM

Many handlebars, and probably other parts, are also aluminum wrapped in CF.

Ironfish653 04-16-19 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by 86az135i (Post 20886286)
Just letting people know know what they are most likely buying.

I can see how, since it has ‘WCS Carbon’ decals on it, and if it was already on the bike, you’ve got no reason to take it off and look inside it; But if I’m sourcing individual components, unless I’m buying off 3bay or from a shady Aliexpress vendor, it’s pretty apparent whether I’m looking at Al, carbon-wrapped Al, or full-carbon; both from the description and the price.
No consumer warning alert needed.

Paul Barnard 04-16-19 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by HTupolev (Post 20886634)

What stems claim to be "full carbon" while actually being carbon-wrapped aluminum?

You don't need to use a bandsaw or cut a stem in half to read text on the internet. Every single major text box description of the item on Ritchey's website explicitly says that the carbon-wrapped aluminum stem is carbon-wrapped aluminum. On Ritchey's website, this is the flavor text on the stems page:

You are investing a lot of time in responding to a post you essentially said was a waste of time.

AlmostTrick 04-16-19 04:22 AM

If you're getting one for the looks, who cares? Aluminum is safer. Having a "real" carbon stem snap while riding is the last thing I want to worry about.

indyfabz 04-16-19 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by 86az135i (Post 20886161)
they aren’t more fragile because almost all are just wrapped.

Stems that are merely wrapped in carbon are not true carbon stems. Ergo, I don't see the point of this thread.

TimothyH 04-16-19 06:18 AM

Just get an Extralite Hyperstem

HyperStem

There is nothing sexier or lighter.

-Tim-

86az135i 04-16-19 07:12 AM

Look towards any value stem, as I stated. Ebay, Amazon, etc, take your pick. Look not everyone is intellectually superior such as yourself. I mean I myself am sitting here in awe of it.

I wanted to make people aware of what they are getting most of the time on a cheaper "carbon" stem. That it's not just a little aluminum here or there where the fasteners are. It's the whole component.

If you don't like what I have to say, or what I do. I don't give a crap.

86az135i 04-16-19 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 20886798)
Just get an Extralite Hyperstem

HyperStem

There is nothing sexier or lighter.

-Tim-

I like that.

Notso_fastLane 04-16-19 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by 86az135i (Post 20886100)
While some may be actual full carbon construction, most of the time they are just an overlay and just add weight. Decided to cut this one in half. Self explanatory.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e71b43a7f.jpeg

Is that carbon wrapped around aluminum? That's a corrosion problem just waiting to happen.

In the aircraft industry, we have to take great pains to galvanically isolate aluminum from carbon fiber. It's one of the reason we use the much more expensive titanium fasteners in CF applications.

In theory, the wrap could increase the strength since CF has a much higher tension modulus, but 1) I don't think torque on a stem is ever enough to warrant it, and 2) the way it looks like it was done, that's just asking for a short lifespan with a corrosion failure.

86az135i 04-16-19 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane (Post 20886883)
Is that carbon wrapped around aluminum? That's a corrosion problem just waiting to happen.

In the aircraft industry, we have to take great pains to galvanically isolate aluminum from carbon fiber. It's one of the reason we use the much more expensive titanium fasteners in CF applications.

In theory, the wrap could increase the strength since CF has a much higher tension modulus, but 1) I don't think torque on a stem is ever enough to warrant it, and 2) the way it looks like it was done, that's just asking for a short lifespan with a corrosion failure.

I did not know that. But besides needing to go down 10mm, the other reason is was starting to break apart in a small section. When I took it off there was oxidized material inside and certain points starting to bulge out the overlay.

indyfabz 04-16-19 08:13 AM

You don't need to use a bandsaw or cut a stem in half to read text on the internet. Every single major text box description of the item on Ritchey's website explicitly says that the carbon-wrapped aluminum stem is carbon-wrapped aluminum.

Apparently one does, unless one is "intellectually superior." You going to be at the annual MENSA convention in July? :beer: