Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Shimano SPD-SL Pedals More Expensive Than Ever? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1193091)

ridelikeaturtle 02-02-20 05:54 AM

Shimano SPD-SL Pedals More Expensive Than Ever?

A few years ago I had to buy new pedals, and found the Shimano SPD-SL to be very inexpensive, just over 20euro, and sometimes they'd get bundled with cleats... so in time I changed over all my bikes. A great bonus was they also came in silver as well as black.

Now I can't find a set for less than 50euro, and only in black.

Am I the victim of Shimano playing the long game in getting me converted, and now I'm stuck as they raise the price and limit availability? Or is there another source of Shimano SPD-SL pedals (R540s are fine) that I'm missing?

seypat 02-02-20 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle (Post 21309931)
A few years ago I had to buy new pedals, and found the Shimano SPD-SL to be very inexpensive, just over 20euro, and sometimes they'd get bundled with cleats... so in time I changed over all my bikes. A great bonus was they also came in silver as well as black.

Am I the victim of Shimano playing the long game in getting me converted, and now I'm stuck as they raise the price and limit availability? Or is there another source of Shimano SPD-SL pedals (R540s are fine) that I'm missing?

If you live in the USA, metal products are going to increase by at least 25 percent on Feb. 8. You better buy whatever you can before then.

ridelikeaturtle 02-02-20 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by seypat (Post 21309975)
If you live in the USA, metal products are going to increase by at least 25 percent on Feb. 8. You better buy whatever you can before then.

I don't live in the US, but that doesn't mean suppliers aren't using "because... tariffs!" as an excuse to raise prices on everything. Same with "because... Brexit!".

Ogsarg 02-02-20 09:58 AM

Only Shimano could tell you why the price has risen so much. It likely has less to do with costs and more to do with marketing and management decisions. And yes, companies will price things aggressively and once a customer base / market percentage is achieved, increase the price. That happens with just about everything.

aboss3 02-02-20 03:00 PM

I paid $50 USD for mine 11 years ago. Seems like they stayed the same price.

MSchott 02-02-20 08:16 PM

$50.00 for good pedals seems quite reasonable to me.

Spesh 02-04-20 08:18 AM

Not only is $50 not that much, but even the lower-end Shimano pedals are pretty damn good now. Most of the model line is composite as well. The advantage of buying Dura Ace has never been so small.

dr_lha 02-04-20 11:00 AM

R540s can be found in white, but that's the only non-composite pedal in Shimano's line-up now. They stopped making aluminum pedals a long time ago.

I find that R550s are the sweet spot, and them come with cleats. I have Ultegra pedals also, but honestly can't tell the difference when riding.

Cypress 02-04-20 11:02 AM

That's everything, man. I was looking at new bikes a few months ago and the sticker shock hit me hard. I've been racing for so long that I haven't paid retail/anything for bike stuff in the better part of 10 years. Now that I no longer have a gear sponsor, I can see the "cycling is the new golf" influence in pricing. Companies will charge as much as the customer will pay, and the market is saturated with a LOT of freshly-retired bored peeps riding on the back of a healthy (for now) economy.

Ferrouscious 02-04-20 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by dr_lha (Post 21313218)
R540s can be found in white, but that's the only non-composite pedal in Shimano's line-up now. They stopped making aluminum pedals a long time ago.

I find that R550s are the sweet spot, and they come with cleats. I have Ultegra pedals also, but honestly can't tell the difference when riding.

What's so much better about composite pedals that Shimano deserted alloy ones entirely? They just look like cheap plastic from China (or sometimes like expensive plastic from China) to me...

colnago62 02-04-20 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Spesh (Post 21312945)
Not only is $50 not that much, but even the lower-end Shimano pedals are pretty damn good now. Most of the model line is composite as well. The advantage of buying Dura Ace has never been so small.

The only reason I buy Dura Ace pedals is because you can get them in the longer axle

August West 02-04-20 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cypress (Post 21313225)
I can see the "cycling is the new golf" influence in pricing.

But at least you don't have to shell out a bunch more money every time you want to go for a ride :)

Cypress 02-05-20 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by August West (Post 21314382)
But at least you don't have to shell out a bunch more money every time you want to go for a ride :)

Tell that to my wife when I need $140 in new tires every two months, a new $250 cassette/chain/pulleys every 6 months, or why we spend $600/month on groceries for "two" people :lol:

If I didn't have Hammer Nutrition as a sponsor, that'd be another $300-400/month!

mcours2006 02-05-20 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by dr_lha (Post 21313218)

I find that R550s are the sweet spot, and them come with cleats. I have Ultegra pedals also, but honestly can't tell the difference when riding.

Then you have never had the retaining pin that holds the spring-loaded clip come loose during a ride. Unlike the 105's and higher, the pin on the 550's is a pressed-in pin, not a threaded bolt. I've repaired it by pressing it back in with some super glue and they're still good after some 20,000 km, but the point is I shouldn't have had to.

dr_lha 02-05-20 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by mcours2006 (Post 21315004)
Then you have never had the retaining pin that holds the spring-loaded clip come loose during a ride. Unlike the 105's and higher, the pin on the 550's is a pressed-in pin, not a threaded bolt. I've repaired it by pressing it back in with some super glue and they're still good after some 20,000 km, but the point is I shouldn't have had to.

You're right, I've never had that happen to me, after probably about 10,000 miles riding those pedals.

Spesh 02-05-20 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious (Post 21314267)
What's so much better about composite pedals that Shimano deserted alloy ones entirely? They just look like cheap plastic from China (or sometimes like expensive plastic from China) to me...

They are light as hell and last just as long (in my experience)

znomit 02-05-20 06:08 PM

The friendly/fast/cheap unlocal UK bike shops no longer ship shimano components at prices that make your LBS look like bandits.

Cyclist0108 02-05-20 06:25 PM

I just got some new XTR trail pedals. So it is hard for me to relate.

Originally Posted by Spesh (Post 21315169)
They are light as hell and last just as long (in my experience)

How long does hell last (in your experience)?

dr_lha 02-06-20 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by znomit (Post 21315682)
The friendly/fast/cheap unlocal UK bike shops no longer ship shimano components at prices that make your LBS look like bandits.

Not true. Merlin will sell you a pair of 105 pedals for $86. LBS charges a crazy $150.

Spesh 02-06-20 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 21315710)
How long does hell last (in your experience)?

Last as long as the previously all model pedals*

MugenSi 02-06-20 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by colnago62 (Post 21314301)
The only reason I buy Dura Ace pedals is because you can get them in the longer axle

Ultegra R8000 pedals are available with the +4mm axle now also.

colnago62 02-06-20 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by MugenSi (Post 21316279)
Ultegra R8000 pedals are available with the +4mm axle now also.

They are in theory. Nobody stocks them. I tried ordering a pair and it took so long, I gave up.

dr_lha 02-06-20 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by colnago62 (Post 21316374)
They are in theory. Nobody stocks them. I tried ordering a pair and it took so long, I gave up.

https://www.backcountry.com/shimano-...-spd-sl-pedals

Eye watering $200 cost though.

EDIT: $150 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-Ulteg...PPFE60N7C16M4G

noodle soup 02-06-20 10:09 AM

Here you go, but they don't ship quickly. .

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...88%233325%2312

caloso 02-06-20 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by dr_lha (Post 21316142)
Not true. Merlin will sell you a pair of 105 pedals for $86. LBS charges a crazy $150.

I should get on that. 105's will last forever.