Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Cycling caps (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1234801)

LarrySellerz 07-16-21 01:05 AM

Cycling caps

Hey guys, do any of you wear cycling caps? Why do you wear it and what is the benefit? How often do you wash it? I just got an old school one like the ones in Breaking Away and think its pretty rad, don't really know how to wear it but most ways seem pretty cool.

shelbyfv 07-16-21 05:30 AM

Wear it with the brim flipped up. Chicks dig 'em! Wash it when you wash your shirt. :thumb:

Koyote 07-16-21 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22143563)
Hey guys, do any of you wear cycling caps? Why do you wear it and what is the benefit? How often do you wash it? I just got an old school one like the ones in Breaking Away and think its pretty rad, don't really know how to wear it but most ways seem pretty cool.

It goes on your head, Larry.

KJ43 07-16-21 07:29 AM

I wear a summer cycling cap under my helmet with the brim (usually) flipped up. Protects my head (shaved head) from the sun under the helmet and wicks the sweat away from my head.

Better, and more importantly more stylish than a skull cap under the helmet.

Ummm....wash it? Yeah, that happens when it starts getting crunchy.

I have a Gore water and windproof cap for those cold rainy days and another cap with ear covers for those cold dry days.

datlas 07-16-21 08:13 AM

Helmet >>> Cycling Cap

Prodigy4299 07-16-21 08:14 AM

I am a big fan, personally. In particular, it is my fan wear of choice for professional cycling teams I like.

I tend to wear under my helmet, brim down, them three seasons of the year, with the exception of warm (above 25*C) summer rides.

zymphad 07-16-21 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22143857)
Helmet >>> Cycling Cap

I agree

BradH 07-16-21 08:34 AM

They work great for keeping the sweat out of your eyes. Worn under the helmet, brim flipped up, unless you're going into the sun.

pgjackson 07-16-21 08:40 AM

I wear a Halo do-rag under my helmet with the rubber strip on the forehead. I sweat like a pig and it gets in my eyes if I don't wear this. These things work amazingly. After every ride I rinse it out in the sink and let it air dry.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doomrider74 07-16-21 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22143857)
Helmet >>> Cycling Cap

helmets dont keep the sun off, nor do they stop sweat running into your eyes. IMO its not an either/or, its both.

I started wearing one when my brother was diagnosed with skin cancer on his head. TBH as a bald guy, I should have taken to wearing one years ago, but never really considered them. Now I have one, I dont go out without it.

Peak flipped up most of the time: Flipped down when riding into the sun.

datlas 07-16-21 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by pgjackson (Post 22143946)
I wear a Halo do-rag under my helmet with the rubber strip on the forehead. I sweat like a pig and it gets in my eyes if I don't wear this. These things work amazingly. After every ride I rinse it out in the sink and let it air dry.

Another big fan of the Halo product line. Very useful during heat/humidity.

pgjackson 07-16-21 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22143948)
Another big fan of the Halo product line. Very useful during heat/humidity.

That little rubber strip on the forehead is a game changer. Without it, even a headband or cap would quickly get soaked and sweat would pour into my eyes.

Branko D 07-16-21 09:52 AM

Always wearing one under the helmet, myself. When it's cold they help, when it's hot it keeps the sweat out and sun from directly hitting the head, keeps any bugs away from my scalp, and since I wear glasses, when it's really raining they are a lifesaver - peak down and head down to coover the glasses and I can see. If I'm not wearing sunglasses they really help in the sun, too. Keeps the helmet from getting too manky from the sweat, as well.

Often I wear them backwards if the weather is nice so the peak doesn't obstruct the airflow.

Mostly I wash them every 4-5 rides or so.
​​​​​​

KJ43 07-16-21 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Doomrider74 (Post 22143947)
helmets dont keep the sun off, nor do they stop sweat running into your eyes. IMO its not an either/or, its both.

I started wearing one when my brother was diagnosed with skin cancer on his head. TBH as a bald guy, I should have taken to wearing one years ago, but never really considered them. Now I have one, I dont go out without it.

Peak flipped up most of the time: Flipped down when riding into the sun.

Exactly this for me as well.

shelbyfv 07-16-21 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by pgjackson (Post 22143946)

Those work well but you need to find the kind w/o those '90s tails.

Broctoon 07-16-21 10:25 AM

Considering who's asking, my advice would be to wear it forward or backward, brim up or down, even inside out... but always with no shirt, no helmet, and no foot retention. Also, preferably on a hybrid bike.

Love ya, Larry. Just gotta take these little jabs at you sometimes. Do you wear the cycling cap with your sun dress? :p

mstateglfr 07-16-21 10:48 AM

I wear one 85% of time, and the brim is backward. 5% brim forward. 10% of rides without one.
They definitely defeat the purpose of the current crop of high ventilation helmets that are popular at the mid-high price range. Oh well.

To make this thread interesting- does a cap do the same thing as MIPS and reduce the shearing/rotational damage when your head hits the ground? Or even hair- does that do the same thing as MIPS? Way better topic than the OP's

zatopek 07-16-21 11:00 AM

Like others, in warm weather, being shaved of cranium, I wear a light, wicking cap under my helmet. Without it, copious volumes of sweat drips into my eyes. In cold weather, I wear a sort of skull cap that also covers my ears for warmth. Typically, after a ride, I toss my kit in a bucket with dish detergent to clean. So, my caps get cleaned after every ride.

MinnMan 07-16-21 11:27 AM

I started wearing a thin SPF30 skullcap when my hair thinned enough so that sun became an issue. No need for a brim or an old school cap, though.

It's true what they say - they help cool in the heat. They don't really give much protection from cold weather, but when it gets cold, I have other cycling headgear.

shelbyfv 07-16-21 11:36 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...92e9bf5b1c.png

LarrySellerz 07-16-21 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Broctoon (Post 22144176)
Considering who's asking, my advice would be to wear it forward or backward, brim up or down, even inside out... but always with no shirt, no helmet, and no foot retention. Also, preferably on a hybrid bike.

Love ya, Larry. Just gotta take these little jabs at you sometimes. Do you wear the cycling cap with your sun dress? :p

thats a good idea with the sundress, should do that on the group ride. Im on a old steel single speed with drop bars and knobby tires now lol

NoWhammies 07-16-21 04:41 PM

I have been wearing cycling caps for years. I had an old Campagnolo one I habitually wore while riding until someone on the forums here posted about Walz caps. Since then I've been riding with nothing but Walz caps, either technical or merino fabric.

Dylansbob 07-17-21 03:50 PM

That was the one reason I used to shop at nashbar. Whenever they'd have weird euro team hats for under $4, I'd buy 5-6. Now I can barely find a 100% cotton cap for under $20.

Seattle Forrest 07-17-21 10:07 PM

Used to. They work great. I wear a non cycling cap now with a longer brim.

rsbob 07-17-21 10:41 PM

Tired of sweat running into my eyes when I stop so ordered a Halo. Thanks guys for the rec.