Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Chamois creame? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1265835)

drz400 01-07-23 05:28 PM

Chamois cream?

I don't know anyone that uses this stuff. Does it work ? I've never used it.

wolfchild 01-07-23 05:38 PM

:popcorn

shelbyfv 01-07-23 05:48 PM

Welcome back. :troll:

Iride01 01-07-23 06:18 PM

Still wearing cotton underwear? Don't. It gets very abrasive to your skin when wet with sweat.

Hair rolls around between your clothes and your skin and the follicles get irritated. It also holds in sweat and prevents the fabric of your shorts from wicking away the moisture as they are suppose to do. Consider shaving short all the hair down there under your cycling shorts.

Wear bike shorts or bibs that fit you well. There are loose fitting shorts for mountain bikers if you can't quite embrace your MAMIL look.

I've never had to use chamois butter or anything similar. IMO, if you have to use it you aren't figuring out why you are getting the saddle sores. I don't get saddle sores.

Moe Zhoost 01-07-23 06:27 PM

Bag balm!
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...546589f183.jpg

79pmooney 01-07-23 06:39 PM

If you ride enough, the day will come when you will need lubricant down there or run into saddle sores. If you keep riding on them, they do not go away. Chamois cremes can prevent those issues from happening. (Can, not guaranteed will.) If you have to keep on riding after those sores appear- try Bag Balm. A formulation like a vaseline concocted 120(?) years ago in the early days of cow milkers to alleviate cow tit sores so they'd come up and willingly get milked by those rather harsh machines. It worked but quickly the machines got better and it was no longer needed. But farmer's wives quickly found all sorts of uses for this great medication. And I doubt much time went by before a husband or son had saddle sore issues. (This was the heyday of the bicycle.)

Any good pharmacy. $8 for a small green metal box that looks perfect for a folk medicine of a former century. The stuff works. Use enough and you won't get saddle sores. Got 'em? The stuff makes riding them bearable. Edit: and while I was writing, Moe Zhoost provided the illustration.

Jax Rhapsody 01-07-23 06:48 PM

I ride in jeans and ain't wore underwear in years, never get saddlesore.

rsbob 01-07-23 06:55 PM

Makes a wonderful shaving cream in a pinch.

Fahrenheit531 01-07-23 06:56 PM

I can't believe -- am utterly astounded realizing -- there has never been a thread about this before.

veganbikes 01-07-23 07:25 PM

Bike Glide by Body Glide is my go to. Easy to apply and no mess.

BTinNYC 01-07-23 07:39 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9d94c2c027.png

Mad Honk 01-07-23 07:43 PM

Kucharik is what I have used for quite a long time. Smiles, MH

Koyote 01-07-23 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody (Post 22761438)
I ride in jeans and ain't wore underwear in years, never get saddlesore.

How far do you ride, and how high are the temperatures?

79pmooney 01-07-23 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Honk (Post 22761525)
Kucharik is what I have used for quite a long time. Smiles, MH

I used to buy that stuff from Palo Alto Bikes back when they sent it east on Pony Express.

tomato coupe 01-07-23 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by drz400 (Post 22761341)
I don't know anyone that uses this stuff. Does it work ?

On chains?

Jax Rhapsody 01-07-23 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22761619)
How far do you ride, and how high are the temperatures?

I try to avoid the cold, but I've ridden 20+ miles here and there.

Koyote 01-07-23 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody (Post 22761636)
I try to avoid the cold, but I've ridden 20+ miles here and there.

I suspect that most people who use chamois cream (myself included) often ride significantly further than 20 miles.

rosefarts 01-07-23 10:03 PM

Euro style all the way. If your balls aren’t minty, they are busted.

mstateglfr 01-07-23 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by drz400 (Post 22761341)
I don't know anyone that uses this stuff. Does it work ? I've never used it.

You didn't even use it in a prior life?

I had to use it once, a couple years ago. It worked and I am alive to tell the tale.

Jax Rhapsody 01-07-23 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22761656)
I suspect that most people who use chamois cream (myself included) often ride significantly further than 20 miles.

I live in Louisville ky and have rode across this whole city.

Koyote 01-07-23 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody (Post 22761682)
I live in Louisville ky and have rode across this whole city.

Good for you.

I suspect most people who use chamois cream (myself included) often ride significantly further than 20 miles.

Jax Rhapsody 01-08-23 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22761683)
Good for you.

I suspect most people who use chamois cream (myself included) often ride significantly further than 20 miles.

Well... the biggest city in the state is a bit more than 20mi accros, with yo good for you ass.

wolfchild 01-08-23 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22761683)

Chamois cream isn't a necessity. There are also plenty of cyclists { myself included } who ride a lot further than 20 miles without using chamois cream.

markynels 01-08-23 05:19 AM

Noxzema works great. I learned this from an episode of Chris Horner's Corner a couple years back. I was previously using the standard issue "chamois butter", but the cost value for the amount I used daily made no sense long term. I lather up my chamois before every significant ride, and rarely suffer from a saddle sore unless the ride is particularly intense (>6hrs, >4000m, >200km in hot conditions), i.e., very very sweaty. I tend to release a lot of sodium in my sweat which is exacerbated at much higher intensities which ultimately makes for some serious friction, if you know what I mean. Personally not a big fan of chemicals in my undercarriage, so I look forward to this thread proposing me an alternative!

Not sure why the video comes up as 'unavailable' on here, so here is a direct link to the episode he discusses this in (remove the space): https: //youtu.be/_qtAw3_kspQ

Sy Reene 01-08-23 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by markynels (Post 22761765)
Noxzema works great. I learned this from an episode of Chris Horner's Corner a couple years back. I was previously using the standard issue "chamois butter", but the cost value for the amount I used daily made no sense long term. I lather up my chamois before every significant ride, and rarely suffer from a saddle sore unless the ride is particularly intense (>6hrs, >4000m, >200km in hot conditions), i.e., very very sweaty. I tend to release a lot of sodium in my sweat which is exacerbated at much higher intensities which ultimately makes for some serious friction, if you know what I mean. Personally not a big fan of chemicals in my undercarriage, so I look forward to this thread proposing me an alternative!

Not sure why the video comes up as 'unavailable' on here, so here is a direct link to the episode he discusses this in (remove the space): https: //youtu.be/_qtAw3_kspQ

Link assist. Noxzema works, though there is a scent of sorts to this stuff.